SN venting thread

• Please log in to reply
640 replies to this topic

#501 MsLaurie

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:58 PM

Is there something around social skills or school readiness that you could tie the speech to?

#502 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:16 PM

MsLaurie, on 24 January 2020 - 12:58 PM, said:

Is there something around social skills or school readiness that you could tie the speech to?

Was just going to ask if there was anything about social skills that could be used for the speech pathologist.

#503 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:27 PM

Nope. There is access the community for social skills (but you know let’s cut our budget for core support aka support worker but that’s a different rant). I’ve just gone over it again for the 5th time and found it mentions communication under the capacity funding. Nothing under the actual goals mentioned above but on the funding outline.

Seriously I’m not stupid but the way this document is set out is confusing as ****. I do budgets for work. I write planning documents and various procedures. This is bull sh*t. I’m just going to assume as it’s mention until capacity building I can claim it even though there is no goal for it under goals?!?!?

Edited by MayaTheGrinch, 24 January 2020 - 01:35 PM.

#504 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:28 PM

Also could “address the functional impacts of his adjusted needs” refer to executive functioning? Cause that’s confusing. And vague.

Edited by MayaTheGrinch, 24 January 2020 - 01:29 PM.

#505 Elsegundo

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:36 PM

So we had been going really well these holidays but has caught up with us today. Too many big days. Had to cancel meeting friends with kids that I had organised. Was trying to respond to their messages about did we really need to cancel as DS was trying to break the stair banisters off and smash his head through the plaster wall.  Sometimes I forget that this is our life.

To be fair he's now running teddy daycare in the lounge and teaching his teddies to sing a song. Very calm, very content, just needed some time at home.

Hope the rest of your holidays go well.

#506 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:47 PM

Maya, don't be worried.  You can change the goals, to what you want, just by informing them.  (I've done it).

Lodge via their website at https://www.ndis.gov...d-feedback-form
and also email the text to any address you do have.

Write something along the lines of:
I am the parent of X. I provide a changed version of the participants statement of goals and aspirations under Section 47 as follows:

[insert the current statement]
[insert one additional goal]
Improved expressive and receptive communication with others.

The goal does NOT have to be approved by the planner, or in their language, or anything.  As soon as you lodge this, it replaces the old ones (or just adds the new one really).  (Technically its a 'new plan' but it will still have the same funding and review date as the current one does.)

The NDIS Scheme Act 2013 provides:

Division 4—Reviewing and changing participants’ plans

Section 47
Participant may change participant’s statement of goals and aspirations at any time
(1)  A participant may give the CEO a changed version of the participant’s statement of goals and aspirations at any time.
Note:   The participant may also request a review of his or her plan at any time under subsection 48(1) and the CEO may review a participant’s plan at any time under subsection 48(4).
(2)  If a participant gives a changed version of the participant’s statement of goals and aspirations to the CEO, the plan is taken to be replaced by a new plan comprising:
(a)  the changed version of the participant’s statement of goals and aspirations; and
(b)  the statement of participant supports in the existing plan.
(3) The Agency must provide a copy of the new plan to the participant within 7 days of receiving the changed version of the participant’s statement of goals and aspirations.

Edited by Chaotic Pogo, 24 January 2020 - 04:48 PM.

#507 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:13 PM

Thanks CP that is super helpful. This plan reads like two plans stuck together with sticky tape.

#508 Prancer is coming

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:08 PM

I thought taking the 2 kids to the paed together was a good idea.  But instead I feel so overwhelmed!  Little DS is to be moved onto long acting Ritalin and big DS onto concerta.  So that change will be happening at the same time for both of them too.  

I am hoping concerta works, as Ritalin LA has been pretty good,  but more coverage would be great.  We really struggle with leaving the house of a morning as I try to give it as late as possible to give coverage over the school day.  Would love the affects for after school activities too.

Meanwhile little DS is so oppositional that I am not sure how he will go even taking them.  Hopefully he will find some sort of lolly pack or biscuit he can be bribed with.  He hit a mood tonight, hid in the garden for ages to the point we wondered if he had escaped, and then was cutting something with scissors and managed to have them fall into face right near his eye.  Just hurt himself a tiny bit, but gee it could have been bad.

#509 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:18 PM

Prancer we’ve found Concerta much better then LA. Last longer (my boy takes it at 7, it lasts until 4.30/5) and we found the come down/wear off period was much smoother and less abrupt then LA. I’m not even sure exactly when it wear off as it seems more gradual. Whereas LA was 3pm and that was it, it no longer worked and the kid would binge eat for the next 15-20 mins and/or get irritated. (I’m also pretty sure he got a dip around 3.5hour in because issues at school always occurred around this time)

I hope little DS is cooperative.

Edited by MayaTheGrinch, 24 January 2020 - 09:18 PM.

#510 sne

Posted 07 February 2020 - 09:39 AM

My 10 year old son has had a brilliant start to the school year.  He is loving his new teacher, is actually engaging in school work with the rest of his class, has a nice group of friends and is doing everything the way it's supposed to be done.

But I had a mother approach me to ask me what my son's problem was.  I didn't know what she was on about.  Her son has been telling her that that my son has been calling her son names and excluding him.  I was confused as the reports I had been getting back from school have been really positive.

I spoke to my son and to his teacher.  According to my son he finds the other kid annoying and doesn't want to be his friend.  The other kid keeps following my son and his friends around.  The school are aware of it and had organized that the boys play in separate areas of the school with different groups.  Yet the mother wants me to make my son 'be nice' to her kid and sort out his 'problem'.  I think she should be concerning herself with encouraging her kid to leave mine alone.  

This is also the mother that likes to gossip.

#511 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 07 February 2020 - 10:41 AM

Planning meeting, for the big one. I feel like vomiting.

#512 Caribou

Posted 07 February 2020 - 11:09 AM

Sne  I'd be mad at the mother. if she approaches you, tell her to speak to the teachers and as far as you're aware the school has been handling it beautifully. You cant force a friendship between people, if your son doesn't want to be friends with this kid, they can't make them! As for the mother who gossip, it won't take long for people to see her for what she is, someone who goes around badmouthing everyone else. No one will be sharing sh*t with her once they figure this out!

Focus on how he's doing beautifully aside this over-the-top mother. He's acing it right now and the school is handling the friendships.

#513 IamtheMumma

Posted 07 February 2020 - 03:39 PM

I feel like a crappy parent at the moment. The meds are helping DS but he’s not sleeping. The melatonin isn’t working. Bedtime has become a battle of wills with no winner. DS’s sleep has halved and he’s more irritable on the comedown. He’s fighting with me every day. DS is missing his dad and acting out. Our lives are in limbo until I can start work, which is supposed to be soon but it’s taking its sweet time and that is messing with my mind. DS picks up on that and acts accordingly.

#514 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 07 February 2020 - 04:01 PM

Sne I’d be unhappy with her. If she approaches you again just say school are handling it.

Pooks good luck!

Iamthemumma oh no :( no ideas to help unfortunately.

My little kid has lost weight. He’s is off food. Not that he’s a big eater anyway and needs a lot of food to put weight on. It’s not meds related as he only just started back on Ritalin but if he loses anymore the pead will be unwilling to keep him on Ritalin. And he is literally 500g off underweight by BMI. I hate food dramas.

#515 IamtheMumma

Posted 07 February 2020 - 05:06 PM

I hear you with that Maya. I've resorted to buying pediasure and sustagen to give to DS when he won't eat. He's currently on the 6th percentile for BMI. Anymore more weight loss and he's underweight.

#516 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 07 February 2020 - 06:10 PM

Iamthemumma mine won’t tolerate pedisure or sustagen anymore. I’ve resorted to empty carbs and things like crossiants instead of bread for school and stuff then with egg and cheese and ham. I mean if I ate like that I’d gain a kg easily. Him? Nope. And 25kg on a kid who is 133cm is very thin.

#517 MsLaurie

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:08 PM

What things will he eat? Others might have new ideas on how to calorie load those foods?

#518 Prancer is coming

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:07 PM

I am feeding my kid up with hot cross buns with butter (he generally has them plain) and nut bars (like a muesli bar but  mainly nuts and the bottom normally is dipped in chocolate).  Interestingly, the change fro, Ritalin la to concerta seems to have changed his appetite.  He only has one breakfast now, where before the meds changed it was several, but he now his hungrier throughout the day.  He also seems to sleep more, and sometimes does not wake until after 7, which is amazing as he has always been an early bird.  Though we have had a few bursts of very hyperactive behaviour, so hope that settles!

#519 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:35 PM

View PostMsLaurie, on 07 February 2020 - 07:08 PM, said:

What things will he eat? Others might have new ideas on how to calorie load those foods?

He’s particular. But seriously, unless I get about 1800-2200 calories into him he just doesn’t put on weight. I feed him eggs (1 poached) and cereal for breakfast (currently he will only eat Cheerios and if I add milk powder to his milk he won’t have it), he takes about 1/2 cup high protein yoghurt and either a fruit or nut bar for recess which he might or might not eat, a small pear and 6 ritz crackers for crunch and sip. Lunch is currently a cheese, ham and spinach crossiant (he ate half). Today he had a muffin for afternoon tea and dinner is fajitas. Of which he will eat 1 small one.

Last night he ate half a sausage and a spoon of mash potato for dinner. Half his lunch/recess was eaten. I found a half full breakfast bowl so he ate maybe 1/4 cup cereal. And the egg white on his egg. I know a fair bit about bumping calories with him as he was also my failure to thrive kid due to intolerances (which he finally outgrew). He gets butter in any vegetables and I try to keep the protein and carbs up. He won’t touch things like avo.

Prancer Concerta is heaps better for my big kid with food too. SA and LA had him binge eating outside of it being active.

Edited by MayaTheGrinch, 07 February 2020 - 08:38 PM.

#520 Caribou

Posted 08 February 2020 - 11:58 AM

I’m so upset. I tired to re-connect with the friend who’s ghosted me, thinking she needed time to just figure her stuff out.

Nup. Still refusing to speak to me. I’m absolutely heartbroken. I considered her a very good friend and didn’t think something as simple has telling her my child had ADHD and gifted was going to kill the friendship.

I have to see her at school! How am I supposed to tackle that.

#521 IamtheMumma

Posted 08 February 2020 - 12:22 PM

I'm so sorry Caribou.

You hold your head up high and walk tall. She's the petty one who should be ashamed of her behaviour.

#522 Silverstreak

Posted 08 February 2020 - 03:22 PM

I'm sorry Caribou, that's awful. She sounds very petty and jealous.

#523 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 08 February 2020 - 03:23 PM

Oh caribou that’s awful. So petty as well. I’m so sorry.

#524 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 08 February 2020 - 03:51 PM

Just lost my massive post.

Kept getting 403 forbidden.

What a nasty bitter person caribou.

Eldest. Had been near meltdown most of the week. It’s tons of fun being yelled at for talking to him.

Also kid is obsessed with money and how much stuff costs. His friends got bored at the swimming carnival and had enough of him boasting of his cash.

Ok, so swimming carnival on Friday. Yelled at for suggesting he take a plastic bag for wet things. Yelled at all morning for everything- not packing his goggles, not packing his towel etc when he’d been asked the day before to do this.

He’s been taking money from after school activities- so a couple of days a week, he crosses the road to the bakery, buys afternoon tea, then goes to a sport at the pcyc. Pcyc charges $5-$8 for the activities. We give him some $$ for the afternoon tea. Turns out he’s been not buying stuff from the bakery, saving the cash, carrying it around at school all the time. And then talking about it heaps and what he’s spending it on.

Anyway bored friends, sick of this, hassled him for $ yesterday.

Seriously we’ve explained that he shouldn’t take the $$ to school. And that it’s not socially acceptable to talk $$. And that the money we give him is for a specific purchase and we want any change. Seriously this kid, when people asked what he got for Christmas he would say “I got over $500 worth of gifts. I got xx, which cost $y and so forth.” Yep he’d actually looked up the prices of all his presents. (Note: most stuff was purchased on sale and over the last 6 months or so).

Foil contact.

Edited by Bethlehem Babe, 08 February 2020 - 03:58 PM.

#525 sne

Posted 10 February 2020 - 04:18 PM

I made the school aware of her claims. They questioned my son who has admitted to calling the other the slang word for cat that starts with a p. He apologised to the other kid and they shook hands.

I mulled over the situation over the weekend and then sent everyone on our ssg team an email.  I stated everything that has happened and that my son's decision to not be friends with the boy needs to be respected.  I requested that the boy and my son be separated in the playground. The school has agreed to put strategies in place that does that.

I have a close friend who also has a boy the same age but attends a different school.  I was venting to her about the situation.  She said the complaining woman's husband told her last year that she should cut ties with me and not allow her son to hang out with mine. She politely told him to mind his own business.  I am furious! How dare that family try to isolate me and my family with their gossip.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Ahrefs (1)

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.