Car Insurance

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 StillDreaming

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:48 PM

Can anyone recommend a car insurance provider that has been reasonable to deal with, good cover and decently priced?
I’ve recently had to make my first claim on my house insurance policy and it’s made me think a bit more seriously about who I am with. I understand you get what  you pay for and I think with my current insurer that may not be much...
Any feedback on RACV?
Thanks.

#2 Living Type

Posted 11 August 2019 - 08:56 PM

I’m with Allianz. They were very helpful and paid claim on contaminated fuel recently, apparently not all insurers cover this. I have also claimed with them for replacement windscreen with no excess. Definitely recommend.

#3 StillDreaming

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:04 PM

Thanks! I thought Allianz might be recommended because they were the most expensive ones I got a quote for 🤦🏼‍♀️🤣. I have been dealing with them for my house insurance though and while I have nothing to compare it to, they’ve been pretty good - albeit a bit slow!!

#4 just roses

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:12 PM

We’ve claimed with both AAMI and Suncorp without drama.

#5 Luci

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:16 PM

DH & I are with NRMA. Have made several claims & they have been pretty good.

#6 Living Type

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:20 PM

View PostStillDreaming, on 11 August 2019 - 09:04 PM, said:

Thanks! I thought Allianz might be recommended because they were the most expensive ones I got a quote for ‍♀️. I have been dealing with them for my house insurance though and while I have nothing to compare it to, they’ve been pretty good - albeit a bit slow!!

Ooh, it might be time to check the prices again

#7 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:24 PM

View PostLiving Type, on 11 August 2019 - 08:56 PM, said:

I’m with Allianz. They were very helpful and paid claim on contaminated fuel recently, apparently not all insurers cover this. I have also claimed with them for replacement windscreen with no excess. Definitely recommend.

Hello I sent you a PM. Wondering how common contaminated fuel is!?

--
OP the above is correct. Check your insurer covers this especially if you have a diesel.

#8 blackcat20

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:33 PM

I'm with Gio, they have been surprisingly cheaper than other insurers including Coles. including windscreen and new for old for the life of the car.

#9 -Emissary-

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:25 AM

I’m with NRMA, Gio and AAMI.

My claim experiences with all three have been pretty good. I can’t really fault GIO or AAMI. We average 1 claim per year (most of time not at fault) and it’s been pretty painless and fast.

#10 BornToLove

Posted 12 August 2019 - 02:42 AM

We’re with RACV and I have no complaints. Both for car and home contents (we rent). We get a multi-policy discount as well as discounts for paying for the year in advance. Very helpful with a contents insurance claim a few years ago.

I do find regardless of your insurance provider it really does pay to shop around, or at the very least calling your current provider annually to ensure you are getting the best rate for the coverage you need.

#11 MakesMeHappy

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:09 AM

We are with AAMI and have made multiple claims. They have always been great and easy to deal with and all claims paid quickly and painlessly.

#12 Lucla

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:10 AM

We are with RACV and I really recommend them. Their claims process is really easy and I have had no problems the 2 times I have had to claim.

Unfortunately, I cannot rate Allianz at all, they were an absolute nightmare to deal with during our home break in insurance claim and I left them as soon as I could.

#13 Fossy

Posted 12 August 2019 - 07:01 AM

Speak to a panel beater if you know one, a great wealth of knowledge.
I’ve just had a horrific experience with RACV for a minor claim, it’s taken over 6 months, three botched repairs and ended up at the ombudsman.  
I have since learnt RACV are owned by IAG, along with nrma and a few others, they’re a listed company and profits are their number one priority. They’ve capped pay outs to panel beaters forcing them to cut corners to make their own profit.
Panel beater friend told me the group that owns AAMI, I think Youi and budget too, cut payouts by 25%. He said the last job he did for AAMi they demanded he source a second hand bonnet to save $40. He stopped doing their work after that.

Long story short he said Allianz and CGU were the best, didn’t cap payouts or require second hand part sourcing.
I have just switched to Allianz.

#14 *melrose*

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:47 PM

I'm with RACQ and have no problems what's so ever, I brought a new car around 5 months ago and they have been excellent.

#15 SeaPrincess

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:44 PM

View Post-Emissary-, on 12 August 2019 - 12:25 AM, said:

We average 1 claim per year (most of time not at fault) and it’s been pretty painless and fast.

How? I’ve been driving for over 30 years and I’ve never made a claim! I have just made my first ever claim on home insurance.

#16 StillDreaming

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:48 PM

Thanks everyone! I think I might try and speak with a panel beater or something similar to see what they say. Otherwise perhaps I’ll give Allianz a go and see if I can get a discount having both car and house with them.

#17 cstar

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:16 PM

Were with RACV, 3 cars, house, and landlord insurance.

My DH's car insurance came and it went up so I called them, she made a few changes ie. number of ks he does (not very much) and it went down by $150 so very happy with that.

We've had a few non fault claims over the last few years with no issues what so ever.

#18 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:16 PM

I was with RACV but would never go with them when after an accident their approved repairer gave me back a non roadworthy car andI was lucky I insisted the car was wrong and had an engineer look at my car who said the chassis was wrong and the wheels were about to fall off. Repairer had claimed all this work was done and hadn’t done it (so fraudulent). I formally complained, but the repairer is STILL on their list of approved preferred repairs.

#19 StillDreaming

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:32 PM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 14 August 2019 - 02:16 PM, said:

I was with RACV but would never go with them when after an accident their approved repairer gave me back a non roadworthy car andI was lucky I insisted the car was wrong and had an engineer look at my car who said the chassis was wrong and the wheels were about to fall off. Repairer had claimed all this work was done and hadn’t done it (so fraudulent). I formally complained, but the repairer is STILL on their list of approved preferred repairs.

That’s so scary!!

#20 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:32 PM

Yes. Very dissatisfied with what happened and the fact that the fraudulent company is still their preferred repairer.

#21 snowflakedoll

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:02 PM

We are with RACV after ringing around for different quotes and they came in the cheapest. We’ve been with them for 4 years.

Last year my husband has two accidents in two weeks (not his fault both times). Our VW golf is now in immaculate condition, no complaints at all with the workmanship and an easy process with RACV. The only problem we had was with reimbursing us for new kids car seats (it took a while).

ETA we’re in Melbourne.

Edited by snowflakedoll, 14 August 2019 - 09:02 PM.

#22 -Emissary-

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:38 AM

View PostSeaPrincess, on 12 August 2019 - 10:44 PM, said:

How? I’ve been driving for over 30 years and I’ve never made a claim! I have just made my first ever claim on home insurance.

Not me personally. I haven’t had to make a claim.

Unfortunately my brother and my mother have the worst luck.

- They have been rear ended a few times. One time my mum got rear ended twice within the space of 6 months
- Another time someone changed lane and crashed into my brother. Luckily he has a dash cam and could prove that
- One time the car was parked on the side of the house and our neighbour backed out of their drive way and right into our car.

The only one accident that was my mum’s fault was when she pulled out of a parking space too quickly. The other car didn’t give way so they collided. Her fault obviously but it was her only at fault claim for the last 10 years.

I’m usually the one who handles all the paperwork so am well experienced in dealing with insurance companies. :)

They’ve all been great when we need to claim and also when we need them to redo any repairs before accepting the car back.

Edited by -Emissary-, 15 August 2019 - 01:40 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.