The Block 2019

• Please log in to reply
660 replies to this topic

#1 eponee

Posted 04 August 2019 - 11:38 AM

Starts tonight!  Ch 9 at 7.  Apparently this season is supposed to be a killer for the contestants

#2 TheGreenSheep

Posted 04 August 2019 - 12:03 PM

I’ve met two of this seasons contestants - I happened to be in a store and they were doing a challenge nearby. So in they came camera crews, producers, sound techs etc etc. It was like an invasion of the store and everyone’s privacy. The staff were similarly unimpressed. And then speaking to the actual Blockheads, well they behaved so poorly, they swore like sailors and were rude and just horrible. The female was outright flirting with her producer. The staff member with me was really annoyed, and she was completely correct when she said that this is a workplace and there is no need for their behaviour. Sure makes me less interested to watch them this year after those interactions. And I haven’t missed a series.

#3 JustCurious100

Posted 04 August 2019 - 02:28 PM

How revolting!

I miss the days when it was actually about the build and not the drama

#4 JomoMum

Posted 04 August 2019 - 02:33 PM

View PostJustCurious100, on 04 August 2019 - 02:28 PM, said:

How revolting!

I miss the days when it was actually about the build and not the drama
DH said the same thing. There’s too much drama and pretend rush and hurry and controversy and not enough of the actual design and construction.

We’ll give it a week or so and see how it goes. We too have never missed a season.

#5 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 04 August 2019 - 02:43 PM

And it’s all “we’ve upped the ante, you have to do three bedrooms, a kitchen and three bathrooms and a laundry in one week!! And we will pull you off site for two days to do a dumb challenge. But it’s ok cause your builders basically run the show anyway.”
How’s about we just do like two rooms or one room a week and can the fake dramas.

#6 JustCurious100

Posted 04 August 2019 - 03:52 PM

I want to know how they get their design ideas? Do they just grab ideas off pinterest?

Also, I'll go spare if I continuously hear about "creating drama in the room" or a room looks "sexy".

#7 nasty snaugh

Posted 04 August 2019 - 05:57 PM

Glad I'm not the only one feeling a bit meh about it, even though it hasn't started

I miss the really old days, where they had to go to work and properly manage the budget, where we saw exactly what was spent and what was left each week

Even somewhere in between would be great - I'd really like to be kept up to date with the budgets, I don't need challenges that are always miraculously won by the poorest contestants, the only additional funds should be room wins

#8 nasty snaugh

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:01 PM

Double post

Edited by nasty snaugh, 04 August 2019 - 06:02 PM.

#9 Chocolate Addict

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:05 PM

I am recording it.

I assumed they got permission from the shops they invaded/ went to. Interesting to hear otherwise. Very disappointing.

#10 SarahBelle48

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:11 PM

View PostChocolate Addict, on 04 August 2019 - 07:05 PM, said:

I am recording it.

I assumed they got permission from the shops they invaded/ went to. Interesting to hear otherwise. Very disappointing.

I think they have some stores that are sponsors or connected to the show but then obviously the contestants can go to whichever other stores they want.

#11 EmmDasher

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:12 PM

Why is Elise putting an apostrophe in her name 😳 The banner on screen keeps showing El’ise...why???

#12 TheGreenSheep

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:21 PM

View PostChocolate Addict, on 04 August 2019 - 07:05 PM, said:

I am recording it.

I assume that they do get written approval. However as a customer they don’t ask me if I want to be on the show. I was there in the middle of shopping and couldn’t run out, although I felt like I wanted too lol. And their behaviour was pretty ordinary ...

#13 TheGreenSheep

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:22 PM

I did watch the start tonight, interesting making them dig in the mud. Really, that’s good tv?

I hope that they focus on a good show and not just controversy and drama. They terraces look massive!

#14 JustCurious100

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:30 PM

Jesse couldn't order a meal from deliveroo on time.

#15 YumChaTheSecond

Posted 05 August 2019 - 08:54 PM

If only there was a team with a project manager on it. Oh wait.

#16 TheGreenSheep

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:33 PM

View PostYumChaTheSecond, on 05 August 2019 - 08:54 PM, said:

If only there was a team with a project manager on it. Oh wait.
Or a carpenter. Oh wait. Two of them.
Or real estate agent. Tick.
Renovated numerous homes. Tick.
Homeware store owner. Yep, them too!

#17 Karlee99

Posted 06 August 2019 - 03:22 PM

I think the building this season has the potential to be stunning but I am not as big a fan as I used to be....over the whole drama side of The Block now.

I am liking the Gay Grandads though, I think they are lovely

#18 Chocolate Addict

Posted 06 August 2019 - 03:24 PM

Yeah me too. One of the grandad's looks familiar, I think Mitch? The one without the hideous black rim glasses. lol
No idea where I know him from. Are they from Melbourne?

#19 TheGreenSheep

Posted 06 August 2019 - 03:40 PM

View PostChocolate Addict, on 06 August 2019 - 03:24 PM, said:

Yeah me too. One of the grandad's looks familiar, I think Mitch? The one without the hideous black rim glasses. lol
Aren’t they great, I can’t wait to see their aesthetic in the grand location this year. Although I’m sure it will be filled with drama and angst - stirred along by the producers.

I looked them up, they’re from Sydney
https://tvtonight.co...t-the-cast.html

#20 Jenno

Posted 06 August 2019 - 03:46 PM

I did wonder why several of the women arrived at the Block in high heels and sleeveless dresses with cleavage hanging out.

Then discussing what outfits they will be wearing of a Sunday.... focus on building????????

#21 Chocolate Addict

Posted 06 August 2019 - 04:33 PM

Ah ok, Sydney, I don't know many Sydney people. If they were in Melbourne in the 90s or Brisbane/GC in the 80s/90s I might have met them, I used to work in gay bars. lol

I liked Jesse at first (easy on the eye in a weird way) but man is he a ditzy one. Is he really a carpenter and whatever else he claims? If so, I sure wouldn't hire him. lol

#22 JustCurious100

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:32 PM

One reminds me of an old Tim Finn

#23 Jackrabbit

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:54 PM

I think I read somewhere that they have been on other reality shows. Aussie Property Flippers.

https://www.nowtolov...rk-mckie-57385

#24 kimasa

Posted 06 August 2019 - 07:47 PM

I 90% watch The Block for the music they put over it. Whoever has the job of picking the music is just fabulous.

Edited by kimasa, 06 August 2019 - 07:48 PM.

#25 JomoMum

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:15 PM

He reminds me of one of the gay guys off Grace and Frankie.

View Postkimasa, on 06 August 2019 - 07:47 PM, said:

I 90% watch The Block for the music they put over it. Whoever has the job of picking the music is just fabulous.

DH has said this so many times over the years! Always so good.
We’re just waiting for Chandelier to come out lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.