Funniest things you have discovered

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Mrs Lost Wanderer

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:18 PM

DH did an ancestry DNA test and through it, we were able to figure out who his bio father is and build a tree back from him. It was all very exciting discovering new branches and lots of new people to explore.

I have my tree on familysearch and one day I was bored so I clicked on DH and then the "Show my Relationship" button expecting it to say spouse.... well, it didn't DH and I are 9th cousins through his bio father's side. I'm 9th cousins once removed with my own children. Our kids are their own 10th cousins. DH now calls my mum cuz.

Anyone else got any funny stories?

#2 Ozquoll

Posted 01 August 2019 - 01:42 PM

My aunt has been researching our family’s genealogy since the 80’s. She was extremely offended when I commented that our family had been peasants (wasn’t pretty much everyone, back then?). I was haughtily informed that we in fact had aristocratic forebears.....although she didn’t tell me at the time this ‘aristocrat’ was a minor member of the Polish (Prussian really, I suppose) gentry in the 1700s who fathered a child out of wedlock. I think we can safely say that hundreds of peasant forebears left more of a mark on the gene pool than one randy posh boy 250 years ago....

#3 Renovators delight

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:08 PM

Just the endless gold from Trove.

Story of a gg grandma (Irish woman) flinging a cup of tea in someone’s face.

Indignant letters to the editor from her very eccentric remittance man husband. One having a go at the editor of the Argus for suggesting they were all Kelly gang sympathisers.

My grandfather being quoted for his one-liners in court. He once remarked that he was lucky enough to know little of the sulks of women. That’s because he was married to the fiery Irish woman’s grandaughter...

Also the phrase ‘erstwhile goldfields barmaid’ used to describe a different gg grandma. Tickles my fancy.

#4 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:33 PM

Trove here too.
Gt, Gt whatever in Adelaide in the 1850s up on charges for swimming naked in the Torrens, aged 12. Apparently the arresting policeman took all their clothing bundles, which even the magistrate doubted assisted public decency.

#5 MincePieMasterchef

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:47 PM

A friend and her sister looked into their ancestry and were very upset to discover they were inbred a couple of generations back :omg:

After further digging it turned out that it was 2 separate people who happened to have the same name!

#6 notsoretro

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:59 PM

I am apparently descended from a somewhat unsuccessful English King, Ethelred the Unready

#7 Expelliarmus

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:03 PM

In 1981, after some 25 years of marriage, my mother walked into the lounge room of one of my father's relatives to see an interesting photograph of two women on the mantelpiece. They were doing a heap of family history research during our trip to England and this visit was no exception. It was some sort of aunt/cousin/great someone of dad's I believe and the plan was to find out what was known about his family so they could research more.

Mum: Oh look, there's the photograph that my mother had of her grandmother!

Dad: What are you talking about that's a picture of my great grandmother - it's the one gran has of her mother in the parlour at home.

Aunt/relative person: Those are the H_____ sisters. What are you talking about? To my Dad: The one on the right is your great-grandmother, she married a P_______ <- the main surname in my father's line owing to an illegitimate ancestor who meant that his family name doesn't trace back very far at all on the male line (an interesting story as well!). Her sister there married a S_____ <-my mother's surname!

And at that point my parents discovered they were third cousins and the reason Granny wouldn't let them get married while they required permission and disapproved of the marriage after they were 21 was revealed! Apparently Granny (my mother's maternal grandmother and daughter of the woman on the left) never told them why she disapproved - just that they shouldn't get married!

TL;DR: My parents are third cousins - their great-grandmothers are sisters and I have one less great-great-great grandfather.

Edited by Expelliarmus, 01 August 2019 - 11:18 PM.

#8 SeaPrincess

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:15 PM

I had a funny conversation with my parents....

Dad: I got a match today.
Me: On Tinder?
Dad:
Mum (through laughter): Don’t be ridiculous! He doesn’t know what Tinder is.
Me: Sorry Dad, tell me about your match.
Dad: long story about a match with someone who has his mother’s maiden name, but they have no other common links according to Ancestry.

But seriously, my many greats grandfather (on Mum’s side) was Simon Fraser, the last man beheaded at Tower Hill.

My 7x great grandfather (also on Mum’s side) was a stonemason who was given convicts and built the first hospital in Perth. Much is made of the convicts building the hospital and very little of the stonemasons who oversaw it.

Dad has a serial arsonist, who burned down a school, then kindly offered a piece of his own land on which to rebuild.

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 01 August 2019 - 09:47 PM, said:

After further digging it turned out that it was 2 separate people who happened to have the same name!

We’ve got a case like this. The two families have been smooshed together and have 20 or more children.

#9 seayork2002

Posted 02 August 2019 - 10:12 AM

I am supposedly related to JFK (his Irish Grandmother I think?)

Mind you have an Irish connection makes me think any one Irish seems to be related to everyone really.

#10 Chicken Pie

Posted 02 August 2019 - 10:47 AM

inbreeding was very common in the old days

ooooh notsoretro - Ethelred - wasnt he portayed in Vikings....he wasnt very successful indeed if any of it is true....

we discovered my gran has a step bother and he is still alive - i drank too much wine and messaged him after i had him traced...after confirming all was correct he sent me photo's of my grans dad to me for her as she has nothing of him (he left her mother when she was very young)

we hope one day he will visit her like he has offered and bring along photo albums

i have found archive records of my great grandmother and great great grandmothers' divorces which was very interesting to read (and sad) - but you get copies of handwritten notes etc and its how i finally traced my great great grandfather's birth down

#11 PrincessPeach

Posted 02 August 2019 - 10:57 AM

My grandfather's brother had to leave England for Canada so his father didn't kill him because he'd been laid off from his job.

Their father it turns out was a rather nasty piece of work & it's no wonder the family all migrated to various parts of the world.

#12 Jamelex

Posted 02 August 2019 - 10:39 PM

I figured out that there was less than nine months between the marriage of my grandparents and the birth of my eldest uncle. Oops!

#13 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 02 August 2019 - 10:44 PM

View PostJamelex, on 02 August 2019 - 10:39 PM, said:

I figured out that there was less than nine months between the marriage of my grandparents and the birth of my eldest uncle. Oops!

Seems to be a very common “secret” in many families.

My nan swears my mum was born 2 months early, she was over 8 pound born :lol: I think she will go to the grave on that mountain.

#14 Inkogneatoh

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:18 AM

The Aunt on my Dad's side, went through a stage of DNA testing anyone willing and able. This included my grandmothers siblings, both near 100 at the time, which was apparently an interesting spit collection. Plus my Mum. My aunt started after my Dad had died, so offered to do my Mum to see what she brought to the mix. We discovered 2 main things.

1 - My half sister that my Mum had given up for adoption years before I was born. My brother and I knew of her existence as Mum tried to make contact when she turned 18, however my sister was happy with her life at the time, but was now in the frame of mind to make contact. As I said, my Dad's sister organised the test, and so there was some explaining to do. Mum marveled for ages at how my Aunt just accepted it.

2 - Despite the fact that with long hair my brother is almost the spitting image of Mum (just twice as tall), according to the tests, I'm more related. Both my Mum and brother also showed up with 3% West African, while I randomly got Russian. I'm also more genetically related to my Dad's side (no Russian there either) than my brother, despite not really looking like them either. The joke has always been about how I won the genetic lottery and got every recessive gene from both sides, I was adopted or I was switched at birth. Tests proved I'm related.

#15 Sugarplum Poobah

Posted 03 August 2019 - 11:33 AM

View Post~J_WTF~, on 02 August 2019 - 10:44 PM, said:

Seems to be a very common “secret” in many families.

My nan swears my mum was born 2 months early, she was over 8 pound born Posted Image I think she will go to the grave on that mountain.

Lol, there's an old saying about how babies generally take 9 months but the first one can come at any time.

I've been working on DP's family tree and in terms of the late 19th--early 20th century they were certainly very keen on "try before you buy" :;):

#16 Sugarplum Poobah

Posted 03 August 2019 - 11:36 AM

View PostInkogneatoh, on 03 August 2019 - 09:18 AM, said:

The Aunt on my Dad's side, went through a stage of DNA testing anyone willing and able. This included my grandmothers siblings, both near 100 at the time, which was apparently an interesting spit collection. Plus my Mum. My aunt started after my Dad had died, so offered to do my Mum to see what she brought to the mix. We discovered 2 main things.

1 - My half sister that my Mum had given up for adoption years before I was born. My brother and I knew of her existence as Mum tried to make contact when she turned 18, however my sister was happy with her life at the time, but was now in the frame of mind to make contact. As I said, my Dad's sister organised the test, and so there was some explaining to do. Mum marveled for ages at how my Aunt just accepted it.

2 - Despite the fact that with long hair my brother is almost the spitting image of Mum (just twice as tall), according to the tests, I'm more related. Both my Mum and brother also showed up with 3% West African, while I randomly got Russian. I'm also more genetically related to my Dad's side (no Russian there either) than my brother, despite not really looking like them either. The joke has always been about how I won the genetic lottery and got every recessive gene from both sides, I was adopted or I was switched at birth. Tests proved I'm related.

I thought those really tiny percentages were not particularly accurate?

I haven't done my DNA yet, but I'd be interested to see what it turns up.

#17 moc84

Posted 03 August 2019 - 11:37 AM

My cousin about 10 times over was the first person to be arrested for molesting a sheep :sick:

My mums side is related to King Brian Boru lol

#18 Little boys rock

Posted 03 August 2019 - 11:40 AM

My husband is very distantly related to princess Kate(Middleton). Our sons were born at the same time & people would always comment that our son was a spitting image of George, their mouths would drop when I told them we’re related ha

#19 IamtheMumma

Posted 03 August 2019 - 01:02 PM

.Changed my mind.

Edited by IamtheMumma, 03 August 2019 - 06:30 PM.

#20 TinCat🐱

Posted 03 August 2019 - 05:29 PM

With all the genealogy experts in here, I have a question.

Is it possible to track anything through World War II?

My great grandparents on my Dad's side were Jewish and killed during the Holocaust.

I would love to know whether any of the extended family survived.

#21 QuisbySchmoo

Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:24 PM

View PostTinCat🐱, on 03 August 2019 - 05:29 PM, said:

With all the genealogy experts in here, I have a question.

Is it possible to track anything through World War II?

My great grandparents on my Dad's side were Jewish and killed during the Holocaust.

I would love to know whether any of the extended family survived.

You could have a search of this archive and see if anything is being held regards your extended family -  Arolsen Archives

#22 IkeaAddict

Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:30 PM

I grew up calling Dads mum "Nanna" and Dads aunt "great aunt M"

But it turned out that the great aunt wasn't that..... She was , in fact, my great grandmother. She had fallen pregnant from a one night stand and her child, my grandmother, was raised to believe that she was the youngest and was told that her mother was her sister.

Funny story.....when my grandmother was in the early stages of alzheimers she told us that "Aunty M would have had sex with a tree if it had a d*ck". Further discussion led to her revealing that her mother was a prostitute and after giving birth she dedicated her life to the church and had no men, she lived till she was 98

#23 Inkogneatoh

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:44 PM

View PostNasty Poobah, on 03 August 2019 - 11:36 AM, said:

I thought those really tiny percentages were not particularly accurate? I haven't done my DNA yet, but I'd be interested to see what it turns up.
I think it was described as "background noise". Although I'm sure I was told that the more tests that are done and logged, the more accurate the percentages get.

It was still interesting that the number of "points" (I can't remember the real term) I had in relation with Mum was so much higher than my brother, considering he looks so much like her.

#24 Sancti-claws

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:35 PM

View PostJamelex, on 02 August 2019 - 10:39 PM, said:

A former flatmate tells of how all the women in her very catholic extended family would count forward 9 months from any wedding and circle the date so that they could "tell"!!

#25 Expelliarmus

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:42 AM

My nieces first baby was prem and born less than 9 months after her parents’ wedding. We had a lot of fun with that! She was definitely prem though and quite tiny - 5lb is *not* a normal size for our mob!!!

My family tree doesn’t even have those scandals - they simply had them out of wedlock! In my dad’s family tree his surname actually extinguishes on the male line about three generations back as Mary Ann B’s son, who is my fathers forefather, was baseborn and given his mother’s maiden name/grandfathers name. The family tree was then researched on his stepfather Aaron C although Aaron is actually no blood relation whatsoever.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.