Sacrements

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 lucy-lu

Posted 30 July 2019 - 06:18 AM

My kids are receiving sacrament of confirmation  shortly,  and it's been many years since I went through it all.
We are having a a small dinner post church, (15family memebers) at home, cake etc.
When they come to receive reconciliation, is that generally celebrated too?
Any insight appreciated.

#2 qak

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:07 AM

Is this Catholic? We did them in a different order:
Reconciliation
Communion
Confirmation

FHC was the big one for us.

#3 Bauble Dinkleberry

Posted 30 July 2019 - 07:56 AM

I am assuming catholic? Many diocese do confimation first now.

Reconciliation is generally a private sacrament to a degree. My children did theirs after school, still in uniform. No celebration after, just a normal afternoon

Edited by jensta, 30 July 2019 - 07:58 AM.

#4 BeachesBaby

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:24 AM

Reconciliation, as the pp said, is a private and solemn sacrament, in my experience as a catholic who went to catholic school, got all the sacraments and did all the catholic things. Confirmation is celebratory because it’s the person choosing to become fully committed to the catholic faith, so a small dinner with cake sounds like it’ll be a great way to celebrate.

#5 Lifesgood

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:47 AM

For us the answer is yes.

We celebrate/d each sacrament more or less the same way, with a small family gathering either at home or a nearby restaurant. Nice meal, cake, small gifts, dressy outfit. We found it a lovely way to gather family for a happy occasion and the kids love it of course.

Ours was/is in the order: reconciliation - first communion - confirmation. I'm aware that each church has their own approach and order to the sacraments, and also that they change over the years.

#6 SeaPrincess

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:23 AM

It’s standard where we are to go through reconciliation, communion and then confirmation. Normal process is Reconciliation in year 3, Communion in year 4 and Confirmation in year 6. Prior to each subsequent sacrament, there is a scheduled reconciliation ‘service’ that the children must attend as part of their preparation for the new sacrament.

We didn’t do anything special for first Reconciliaton. Only I was involved as I am the catholic parent, and it was on a weeknight evening, as are the preparation reconciliation services. Our church would love to think that they go to reconciliation regularly, but many children only go as part of their sacramental process.

#7 lucy-lu

Posted 30 July 2019 - 01:20 PM

Thanks everyone that took the time to reply.
Our diocese does the following order:
Confirmation
Reconciliation
First Communion

However I remember as a child I did different order.

Doesnt matter.

thanks again.

#8 SeaPrincess

Posted 30 July 2019 - 05:33 PM

^^ At what age is confirmation if it's done before reconciliation?

#9 lucy-lu

Posted 30 July 2019 - 06:15 PM

From grade 3, so about 8yr old.
Reconciliation and communion is completed next year.

#10 SeaPrincess

Posted 30 July 2019 - 06:31 PM

8 is young to be making an adult affirmation of your baptismal commitment. I don't think my children would have done any of the sacraments if confirmation had come first. Only 1 has felt committed enough to want to do confirmation. Then again, that might be why some dioceses have chosen to do it first.

#11 123Tree

Posted 30 July 2019 - 08:06 PM

Our reconciliation was on a weeknight evening. I thought it was a small thing. Others did family dinners afterwards. Lots of photos and relatives etc.

Still no where as big as FHC and Confirmation.

Families from a European background tent to have a bigger celebration in our area.

#12 Bauble Dinkleberry

Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:14 AM

A lot of Diocese have chosen to restore the original order of christian initiation, so confirmation is now done around year 2  for us. This is a link from Brisbane Archdiocese that explains it

Because it was no longer the sacrament which linked Baptism and First Communion, Confirmation gradually took on new meanings, including the ‘sacrament of adulthood’, becoming ‘a soldier of Christ’, and even signing the pledge (a promise not to drink alcohol until a certain age, or even for life!).

The new Rite of Confirmation issued in 1971 put confirmation back where it belongs, as the link between Baptism and First Communion. Confirmation is the sacrament which ‘seals’ or ‘reaffirms’ our baptism before we take the final step in becoming a full member of the Catholic Church – sharing in Holy Communion for the first time.

In recent years many dioceses in Australia and other parts of the world have responded to the Church’s call to restore confirmation to its proper place and meaning.

#13 BeachesBaby

Posted 31 July 2019 - 08:19 PM

Jensta - that’s so interesting! I never knew any of that, and when I had it all in the late 90’s to early 00’s, we were told that you have your first reconciliation to admit your sins, then participate in the rite of first communion, until as your excerpt said, you become an adult in the church through confirmation. So to hear that wasn’t the original order or meaning is mind blowing! I’m going to surprise my incredibly catholic parents with some knowledge bombs and see if they know about this!

#14 Datrys

Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:29 PM

Originally confirmation separate from baptism wasn't a "thing." It was all one integrated rite.  

So once it became separate it's always been kind of struggling to find its place and meaning, pastorally and liturgically.

#15 knottygirl

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:18 AM

My son did the sacraments last year. We didn’t really do much in the way of a party or anything but it seemed to me like confirmation and first communion were the ones that were the big deal. Reconciliation wasn’t, it was just the kids and their chaperone there, they weren’t dressed up or anything.

#16 MerryMadrigalMadge

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:39 AM

Wow, that's interesting about confirmation. It's not filtered down yet to our local Catholic primary in Melbourne.

DD just did her first communion and the whole thing was cast as as the sacrament between reconciliation and confirmation. Wonder if it's a change that's growing and we'll see it eventually.

#17 lazycritter

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:50 AM

Yeah, here it goes:

Yr 3 reconciliation
Yr 4 first communion
Yr 6 confirmation

As was in my day. Three different dioceses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.