Fast800 - Michael Mosley

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#1 SplashingRainbows

Posted 28 July 2019 - 03:33 PM

After finally being well and truly sick of feeling fat, I signed up for the Fast800 last night. I think it’s been out since Christmas but I hadn’t really heard of it until recently.

The emerging science and studies coming out in this space are great. One comment Michael made in the sign up material somewhere was that many bodies can adapt to the lower cal (say 1200) diet many of us are prescribed and it actually takes more than that for a number of us to switch into fat burning. This really resonates with me. At 1200 I just feel hungry and cranky all the time and never get anywhere. So so good to realise I’m normal, and the ‘solution’ offered so far is just not suitable for me.

I’m day 1 down and actually have loved it. I realised I’ll probably be ravenous tomorrow but the high protein high quality fat has kept feeling very stable and happy today. For the first time in a long time I’m feeling quite hopeful and optimistic.

Has any one else done the fast 800?

#2 Odd-1-Out

Posted 28 July 2019 - 03:46 PM

Yes I am doing it, I have completed yhe 12 weeks and it is great! I couldn't stick to diets where I only lost a few 100 grams here and there I needed better results.

#3 Bearynice

Posted 28 July 2019 - 04:46 PM

Not me personally, but a lady at work has. She lost about ten kg
She said she feels really good. I think there’s a cookbook that helped her

#4 SplashingRainbows

Posted 28 July 2019 - 05:53 PM

View PostOdd-1-Out, on 28 July 2019 - 03:46 PM, said:

Yes I am doing it, I have completed yhe 12 weeks and it is great! I couldn't stick to diets where I only lost a few 100 grams here and there I needed better results.

That’s awesome. I’m so glad it worked for you. I’m hoping this 12 weeks gives me back my body.

#5 SplashingRainbows

Posted 28 July 2019 - 05:55 PM

View PostBearynice, on 28 July 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

Not me personally, but a lady at work has. She lost about ten kg
She said she feels really good. I think there’s a cookbook that helped her

I signed up to the online 12 week program which has recipes, daily menus and support forums. I will have to have a look out for the book and see if the recipes are the same or different. Thanks for letting me know.

Glad to hear it worked for your colleague.

#6 Mands09

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:03 PM

I was looking at this the other day but kind of want to know what a day looks like before I commit to it. Any advice? I’ve got 12kg of stubborn fat that won’t budge after baby number 3 so I’m really keen to boost my body into what it used to be. I can manage to not gain weight but losing is proving beyond difficult.

#7 Odd-1-Out

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:23 PM

View PostMands09, on 28 July 2019 - 07:03 PM, said:

I was looking at this the other day but kind of want to know what a day looks like before I commit to it. Any advice? I’ve got 12kg of stubborn fat that won’t budge after baby number 3 so I’m really keen to boost my body into what it used to be. I can manage to not gain weight but losing is proving beyond difficult.

I did it using weightloss shakes which the book says you can do but the recipe book has lots of food options if you do it that way. My days were coffee with a dash of milk, breakfast lunch shakes then 2 cups of vegetables for dinner and shake for dessert. Also heaps and heaps of water.

Now im following the guidelines of the book and I have Breakfast 2 eggs, a cup of mushrooms and 1 tomato cooked. Lunch tuna and salad, Dinner some type of meat and vegetables.

My BMR is 1400 calories a day so I stick to that as I have started the gym and hoping to tone up a bit after my big weight loss. I had 40 plus kilos to lose so I have done the 12 weeks for the last few years to finally get to this point. I worked out I have lost 40% of my original body weight so im very happy with that. Good luck!

#8 Odd-1-Out

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:26 PM

View PostSplashingRainbows, on 28 July 2019 - 05:53 PM, said:

That’s awesome. I’m so glad it worked for you. I’m hoping this 12 weeks gives me back my body.

You definitely will get your body back doing the 12 weeks. I was morbidly obese so I had to do the 12 weeks several times over the years to get where I am now.

#9 c.sanders

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:27 PM

I've found Dr Berg on YouTube to be quite helpful with a lot of stuff including Keto which this sounds like.

Edited by c.sanders, 28 July 2019 - 07:30 PM.

#10 SplashingRainbows

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:28 PM

Well I’m all of one day in but it’s essentially low carb, plenty of protein and healthy fats. No sugar. Very Mediterranean.

Daily cals split seems to be around 200 breakfast, 300 lunch  and 300 dinner. But not set in stone.

Can eat as much of some non starchy vegetables as you need at the three eating times (B, L, D). Eg cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, green beans, cabbage.

No snacking.
No drinking calories. Can have black tea and coffee and herbal teas. And lots of water. Can’t have diet soft drink which will be hardest for me!
Exercise recommended but I think they suggest you get the hang of the food first.

Still lots to learn but as I love all things on the Mediterranean diet, the food is appealing.

#11 Odd-1-Out

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:30 PM

View PostSplashingRainbows, on 28 July 2019 - 07:28 PM, said:

Well I’m all of one day in but it’s essentially low carb, plenty of protein and healthy fats. No sugar. Very Mediterranean.

Daily cals split seems to be around 200 breakfast, 300 lunch  and 300 dinner. But not set in stone.

Can eat as much of some non starchy vegetables as you need at the three eating times (B, L, D). Eg cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, green beans, cabbage.

No snacking.
No drinking calories. Can have black tea and coffee and herbal teas. And lots of water. Can’t have diet soft drink which will be hardest for me!
Exercise recommended but I think they suggest you get the hang of the food first.

Still lots to learn but as I love all things on the Mediterranean diet, the food is appealing.

I totally had to just focus on 1 thing first, only joined the gym recently. The food is great and so healthy.

#12 SplashingRainbows

Posted 28 July 2019 - 07:38 PM

Well done odd one out. Your results are amazing.

I already do a reasonable amount of exercise so I’m hoping to keep it up.

ETA I did 5:2 a number of years ago to get me to my current weight with the same mentality. Just one thing. And it was so easy because I just didn’t have to eat. 2 days a week.

I think Michael has a knack for finding things people will stick to.

Edited by SplashingRainbows, 28 July 2019 - 07:39 PM.

#13 SplashingRainbows

Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:09 PM

I’m now one week in, 2.6kg down and feeling great.

I’ve been less hungry in this eating plan than I was when I wasn’t dieting.

The food has been delicious and my husband has loved it too.

I do need to be organized with food and recipes but it’s been manageable in my crazy full time working life.

#14 Odd-1-Out

Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:37 PM

Well done with the loss! Glad you are enjoying this WOE and are feeling great as well 🙂

#15 PizzaSteve

Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:54 PM

I am 6 days in and also down 2kg. For some reason restricting works better for me than just trying to eat well, which is weird. I am also doing 16:8 intermittent fasting which helps too.

Nice to see others doing it as well!

#16 Odd-1-Out

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:29 PM

PizzaSteve I find restriction helps me too. 2 kilos is a great result well done!

#17 SplashingRainbows

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:36 PM

Good job pizza Steve.

#18 lucky 2

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:57 PM

In our house that diet has melted 30kg+ off dp over about 3-4 months.
I'm trying to do it to a degree, my heads not in it yet but I've dropped about 1.5kg, not much but better than nothing.
The whole family eats a Mediterranean type diet as per the recipes, I tend to adapt it to make indian and Italian legume based dishes, lots of nutritious soups.

#19 PizzaSteve

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:57 PM

Oh thanks - it is great to hear others are doing this too because I don’t know anyone IRL who is! Nice to be able to talk about it.

And both of your results are fantastic too :-)

#20 SplashingRainbows

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:37 AM

Now down 3.8kg after 11 days. I have 6kg to go to be in a healthy weight range. I am now nearing my lowest weight since I had my youngest so I'm hoping I won't stall too much as that approaches.

This week I have definitely been more hungry, but it is not unmanageable. From the Fast800 forums it seems week 2 is where the hunger is the worst, so I'm reassured this won't last forever. It seems like weeks 3-4 result in a number of people not losing much. I'm wondering about doing 5:2 for those 2 weeks and then Fast800 again for 2 weeks to see what happens. Taking it one day at a time and will see how I am going on the weekend. The actual results are incredibly motivating.

I have a very big active day happening on Sunday. I think my plan is to increase my calories this day, whilst still aiming to eat a low carb Mediterranean diet as per the book. Hopefully this won't have too much impact, but life is life hey and it needs to be lived.

#21 Abernathy

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:41 AM

I am 8 weeks into the Fast-800 and have lost 9.5kgs. I agree with a pp that the results are so fast and obvious that it keeps you really motivated - losing 100g here and there would not have kept me on track. I still have 2.5 kgs to lose and am feeling great and so thrilled to be able to fit into my old clothes. Highly recommend the program.

#22 SplashingRainbows

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:43 AM

Wow Abernathy! Well done, that’s amazing.

Have you done the 800 the whole way through or have you had some 5:2 breaks?

#23 SplashingRainbows

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:31 AM

This morning marks my 4 week progress. I am 6.2kg down, and have lost significant cm around my hips and bum which is usually the last place I lose.

3kg to go to get to the top of my healthy weight range which at this rate should be in the next fortnight.

This is the first time I've ever had a way of eating that has actually enabled me to lose weight quickly, and lose weight without being miserable. I'm not ready to eat my own arm - as I said a couple of weeks ago the hunger is far far less than the urgent insatiable hunger that used to overcome me when I was eating more carbs. On all previous formats (WW, Healthy Mummy) I've been lucky to average 2kg a month weight loss, so this has been 3 times faster and much much easier.

The food continues to be simple and delicious and I've managed to navigate eating out quite successfully. Was at a course yesterday and salmon in a fennel and leek sauce was on the buffet table so one piece was lunch with some green salad and a black coffee.
The day before I had to travel for 2.5hrs to hospital for my daughter & back. I took a tuna salad and ate quickly when I stopped at a servo on the freeway. Dinner was a yoghurt & blueberries from Coles after the procedure. Totally doable and much cheaper than what I would have done previously which would have been to grab something from the cafeteria or a cafe.

Our family has an eating out on Saturday evening tradition which I have continued to participate in just choosing low carb choices and eating until I'm satisfied. This is the only meal each week I'm not 100% strict on (just smart about) but it doesn't seem to have caused a problem.

I'm going to become one of those crazy raving lunatics about this way of eating. I wish I'd had this information years ago.

#24 PizzaSteve

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:11 AM

That is a great loss! I seem to have slowed this week (will be 4 weeks tomorrow) and sitting around 4.8kg loss. I am trying to tip over to the next number but no luck yet.

I also find this so easy, and it is remarkable how much it has taught me about eating properly when you have to think so much about what you are eating to stay within calories. Being gluten free has also meant no stomach cramping, bloat or feeling of fogginess so that is interesting as well.

Fingers crossed I can start losing again next week!

#25 SplashingRainbows

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:44 AM

The last kg has literally dropped off in the last 3 days so keep at it - same may happen for you in a couple of days. 4.8kg is definitely nothing to sneeze at even if it doesn’t. Imagine knowing you could lose 5kg in a month. Most people would think that’s amazing - because it is!

I’m GF due to coeliac disease so haven’t noticed the same impact as you, but wow you must feel amazing if it’s made such a difference to you!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 1 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.