Jump to content

Mack Horton’s protest


  • Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#1 Lunafreya

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:32 PM

Anyone else following this?

Looks like one more has joined the protest...and Sun Yang is throwing a tantrum

https://www.smh.com....obox=1563884664

#2 CallMeFeral

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:40 PM

Good on them both.

I'm glad someone else has done it too. He was getting so much flak for such a peaceful protest. I'm struggling to see how anybody can have a problem with it tbh but apparently Horton has been copping abuse for it.

#3 Soontobegran

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:44 PM

Mack Horton is a legend and Sun Yang is not.

#4 Lunafreya

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:48 PM

There are people who say sport isn’t political. Maybe they should read history.

#5 Chchgirl

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:49 PM

View PostCallMeFeral, on 23 July 2019 - 10:40 PM, said:

Good on them both.

I'm glad someone else has done it too. He was getting so much flak for such a peaceful protest. I'm struggling to see how anybody can have a problem with it tbh but apparently Horton has been copping abuse for it.

I agree.

#6 Wolf87

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:49 PM

Sorry I couldn’t really get what’s going on from the article, what’s the protests about?

#7 Lunafreya

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:53 PM

View PostWolf87, on 23 July 2019 - 10:49 PM, said:

Sorry I couldn’t really get what’s going on from the article, what’s the protests about?
Sun is a former dope cheat. He was banned for theee months and may be banned from the 2020 Olympics

#8 Soontobegran

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:54 PM

This is not a political protest though.

#9 gettin my fance on

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:55 PM

View PostWolf87, on 23 July 2019 - 10:49 PM, said:

Sorry I couldn’t really get what’s going on from the article, what’s the protests about?

Sun Yang is a drug cheat and Horton refuses to acknowledge him as a legitimate winner by shaking his hand or standing on the same podium.

#10 Lunafreya

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:57 PM

View PostSoontobegran, on 23 July 2019 - 10:54 PM, said:

This is not a political protest though.

China are treating it as one. Chinese in the crowd were booing the protest

#11 CallMeFeral

Posted 23 July 2019 - 10:59 PM

As above re Sun Yang being previously a drug cheat.

But additionally, at a recent drug test he INTENTIONALLY SMASHED the vials of blood that had been taken from him. Ooh I wonder why!
So he's due to go in front of some kind of swimming body for that - but is being allowed to compete in the meantime (i.e. now) even though blind Freddy knows that smashing the vials means he's still doping.

They've condemned Horton for not standing on the podium with him AND Swimming Australia who didn't even know he was going to do it.

#12 Soontobegran

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:00 PM

View PostLunafreya, on 23 July 2019 - 10:53 PM, said:


Sun is a former dope cheat. He was banned for theee months and may be banned from the 2020 Olympics

Not a former drug cheat, he is a current drug cheat.
He recently ‘ accidently’ dropped and broke his blood samples so they could not be tested.

The other swimmers have had it and the Chinese officials need to stop whinging.... they know it.

Snap CMF

Edited by Soontobegran, 23 July 2019 - 11:02 PM.


#13 Lunafreya

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:01 PM

If that was me testing him, I’d have a cup for him to pee in there.

“Come on, I knew you’d do this. Chin up, trousers down.”

#14 Soontobegran

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:04 PM

View PostLunafreya, on 23 July 2019 - 10:57 PM, said:



China are treating it as one. Chinese in the crowd were booing the protest


They need a dose of reality. They have a pretty strong history , they should be embarrassed

#15 chicken_bits

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:04 PM

This feud is not new. Mack expressed similar views re: Sun Yang and his drug use at the Rio Olympics in 2016. https://www.abc.net....un-yang/7699644

It's disturbing that this is still an issue.

#16 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:08 PM

He’s also taken his charges for the broken vials to the court of arbitration for sport and isn’t up until September.
Until then he’s allowed to compete.

Will there be a retirement prior to the court date or is that just how long it takes whatever he’s on to get out of his system?

#17 purplekitty

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:09 PM

View PostSoontobegran, on 23 July 2019 - 10:54 PM, said:

This is not a political protest though.
It's not a political protest but it takes place in a political stew.

If the transgressor wasn't from powerful China decisions would be made more easily.

#18 Soontobegran

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:14 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 23 July 2019 - 11:09 PM, said:


It's not a political protest but it takes place in a political stew.

If the transgressor wasn't from powerful China decisions would be made more easily.

I don’t think China necessarily has the power they wish they had in swimming. They are certainly not the swimming powerhouse they once were.......because it is harder to cheat.

Edited by Soontobegran, 23 July 2019 - 11:16 PM.


#19 Lunafreya

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:16 PM

No, but China is notorious for being petty.

#20 purplekitty

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:17 PM

View PostSoontobegran, on 23 July 2019 - 11:14 PM, said:

I don’t think China necessarily has the power they wish they had in swimming. They are certainly not the swimming powerhouse they once were.......because it is harder to cheat.

International political power.
They are a major player,if not the major player now.

#21 Soontobegran

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:28 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 23 July 2019 - 11:17 PM, said:



International political power.
They are a major player,if not the major player now.

I like to hope that their political prowess does not influence FINA.

#22 Just Jack

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:34 PM

*Is* Sun Yang a 'drug cheat' though?

I don't know much about it, but read this article recently which was intetesting:

https://www.abc.net....-seems/11328364

So, as for the recent matter, there have actually been no findings yet.

And read this tonight too:
https://time.com/444...ug-cheat-china/

So as for the 2014 matter:

"To be sure, Sun was banned from competition in 2014, but it was for only three months and for a proscribed substance, trimetazidine, that had been prescribed for angina, a heart condition. When Sun took the drug, it had been on the World Anti-Doping Agency’s list for less than five months, and today is no longer recognized as a stimulant by doping agencies."

If this was an Australian swimmer, I reckon we'd be giving him the benefit of at least some doubt.

#23 Lunafreya

Posted 24 July 2019 - 12:04 AM

He had the chance to report it and didn’t. And China has a well-known history of doping,

#24 purplekitty

Posted 24 July 2019 - 12:58 AM

View PostJust Jack, on 23 July 2019 - 11:34 PM, said:

*Is* Sun Yang a 'drug cheat' though?

I don't know much about it, but read this article recently which was intetesting:

https://www.abc.net....-seems/11328364

So, as for the recent matter, there have actually been no findings yet.

And read this tonight too:
https://time.com/444...ug-cheat-china/

So as for the 2014 matter:

"To be sure, Sun was banned from competition in 2014, but it was for only three months and for a proscribed substance, trimetazidine, that had been prescribed for angina, a heart condition. When Sun took the drug, it had been on the World Anti-Doping Agency’s list for less than five months, and today is no longer recognized as a stimulant by doping agencies."

If this was an Australian swimmer, I reckon we'd be giving him the benefit of at least some doubt.

Trimetazidine is still on the banned list.

#25 Ellie bean

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:10 AM

I find it weird that it’s such big headline news, it’s just sport/ a game at the end of the day




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

 

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

 
Advertisement
 
Advertisement
 
 
 

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

 

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

 
Advertisement
 
 
Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.