Pram for 5yr old

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 IamtheMumma

Posted 19 July 2019 - 05:12 PM

Has anyone had any negative experiences from other kids teasing their child about still being in a pram?  He likes being in the pram but if he was called a baby, he'd refuse. DS is nearly 5 but he has low muscle tone in his legs so can walk but not very far. Kindy is less than a km away and I thought on the days he isn't feeling up to it, I can put him in the pram. I also want to start walking for exercise but would need to bring him with me.

I'm not able to run after him so a bike or scooter is out until my health is better.

#2 born.a.girl

Posted 19 July 2019 - 05:27 PM

One of the best pieces of advice I was given when my daughter was little was 'she won't be doing it when she's 20', which was from my sister, who had four kids by that time, aged 8 - 25.

I can't imagine anyone making a comment about him 'being a baby' without knowing whether there was a medical reason for him being in the pram.

Even if you're walking and he's in the pram, he's still exposed to all sorts of sights and sounds of the outdoors - birds, cars, trees, the wind, the sky.

My daughter turned out to have very high visual skills - every flipping speck caught her attention. Sometimes it was just quicker and easier to carry her at that age, which got the odd comment.   I had to get back to work after dropping her at kinder though, I didn't have half an hour to get from the car to the door of the kinder.

Do what works for you.

#3 Flutters

Posted 19 July 2019 - 05:39 PM

My 4.5 year old still prefers the pram or a trolley. She says she has baby feet and to be honest id rather have the pram than her crying or whinging to be picked up and carried. I’ve had very few funny looks, and no comments. Even if I did it’s none of their business, it makes our life easier and she is still quite little. It’s hard to ask her to walk a long way. We’re on holidays at the moment and hiring a pram has been the best thing we’ve organised!

#4 Babetty

Posted 19 July 2019 - 06:21 PM

While there shouldn't be any problem with a pram, another option might be a trike or bike with training wheels with the "parent" push along handle.

ETA: I used a lightweight umbrella stroller for my DD until she was in FYOS, I don't think it's unusual

Edited by Babetty, 19 July 2019 - 06:22 PM.

#5 José

Posted 19 July 2019 - 06:32 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 19 July 2019 - 05:27 PM, said:

I can't imagine anyone making a comment about him 'being a baby' without knowing whether there was a medical reason for him being in the pram.

my DS used to walk to day care but be exhausted at the end of a long day and uae the pram to get home.
the staff were aware of his additional needs and would still regularly make comments about how he should use his legs to get home and similar.

#6 Toddlerandme

Posted 19 July 2019 - 06:37 PM

I don’t see any problem if he still fits and is comfortable. I thought this was going to be a thread about which pram was big enough for a five year old (which was why I came in) not whether it was okay.

Edited to add: my very tall almost four year still likes to ride in the stroller occasionally and we have never had any negative comments.

Edited by Toddlerandme, 19 July 2019 - 06:43 PM.

#7 Daffy2016

Posted 19 July 2019 - 07:14 PM

View PostBabetty, on 19 July 2019 - 06:21 PM, said:

While there shouldn't be any problem with a pram, another option might be a trike or bike with training wheels with the "parent" push along handle.

ETA: I used a lightweight umbrella stroller for my DD until she was in FYOS, I don't think it's unusual

I was going to suggest this, if it would be suitable for his muscle tone. I think the scooter with a seat and handle type arrangement is better than what we have - the euro trike that encourages DD to slouch back and slide down the seat. On the little scooters with the seats they seem to be more upright.

#8 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:49 PM

Another suggestion- a three wheel scooter like a Maxi Micro. When they tire you can pull it along. I've been doing that with  my 5yo for ages. I wouldn't do it with a 2 wheel scooter but it works well with a 3 wheeler as it's stable.

#9 LucyGoose

Posted 19 July 2019 - 08:53 PM

I don’t hesitate putting my DS in a pram - he’s 4.5,  if it’s suits me.
We also live about 1km away,  and he mostly scoots or walks, but if he was tired and we had to walk I’d use a stroller.
Don’t think the kids at Kindy would realise or pay much attention.  

#10 Pooks Combusted

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:05 PM

My almost 4yo is in a pram regularly and her 7yo brother will climb into it when he’s overwhelmed. We haven’t ever had direct comments while we’re out, I’m guessing however that most people who see a 7yo child in a pram are going to assume there are additional needs? Or maybe I’ve developed such a hardened resting b**ch face that they don’t dare.

I agree that a bike with a parent handle might be a good option so he can get his legs moving if he feels up to it.

#11 BornToLove

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:14 PM

There were several kids in DD’s prep class that came to school in a stroller. Its fairly common especially if the school discourages driving your kids to school like ours does.

If he’s really worried about being teased, he can alway hop out and walk the last little bit of the journey

#12 DaLittleEd

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:26 PM

View PostToddlerandme, on 19 July 2019 - 06:37 PM, said:

I don’t see any problem if he still fits and is comfortable. I thought this was going to be a thread about which pram was big enough for a five year old (which was why I came in) not whether it was okay.

Edited to add: my very tall almost four year still likes to ride in the stroller occasionally and we have never had any negative comments.

On this topic, does anyone have recommendations for a good pram for big kids?

I do a lot of walking, and sometimes my 3.5yo is tired and needs to go in the pram. Or sometimes I am in a hurry and need to walk faster than a 3.5yo. We have a Valco Snap Ultra and DD (very tall) has pretty much outgrown it, and it is an absolute pain to push with a lot of weight in it. I had a bugaboo which DD had also almost outgrown, and tbh is was too big and heavy to push given that half the time I am pushing an empty pram with DD walking.

#13 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:39 PM

I used to have all 3 of them in the pram when DS was 5, to walk to the park or around the shopping centre.  Sometimes it got so heavy I made him get off and walk.

I think any teasing from other kids is going to totally depend on the group of kids and how they think to treat other kids.

Hardened RBF and a really thick skin make life so much easier Pooks. Being impervious to the negative judgements of others is quite liberating!

#14 *molly*

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:55 PM

My DD was often in the pram until she was 4. I had her in a double with her younger brother. She would flat out refuse to walk at the shops and we recently discovered that she has somewhat low muscle tone (though still within normal range).

She was a big 4 year old and I never had anyone question it. I never even thought it was that unusual. I would have thought that lots of older kids would ride in a pram at least occasionally if they had the chance.

Could you encourage your DS to walk in and out of the school grounds to minimise any teasing, then just use the pram for the rest of the trip?

#15 Fizgig

Posted 19 July 2019 - 11:37 PM

View PostToddlerandme, on 19 July 2019 - 06:37 PM, said:

Same here! My tall four year old will often be in the stroller and occasionally my six year old after school is tired and wants a turn. No comments made to us ever.

View PostDaLittleEd, on 19 July 2019 - 10:26 PM, said:

On this topic, does anyone have recommendations for a good pram for big kids?

I do a lot of walking, and sometimes my 3.5yo is tired and needs to go in the pram. Or sometimes I am in a hurry and need to walk faster than a 3.5yo. We have a Valco Snap Ultra and DD (very tall) has pretty much outgrown it, and it is an absolute pain to push with a lot of weight in it. I had a bugaboo which DD had also almost outgrown, and tbh is was too big and heavy to push given that half the time I am pushing an empty pram with DD walking.

I have a Maclaren stroller and it fits my tall 4.5 year old. Even the six year old will get in it occasionally and they push each other around.

#16 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 20 July 2019 - 12:05 AM

Kindy (part time school, the year before full time school) was 1.5km away and DD was 5/6yo. She wasn't able to walk that whole way without either whinging or moving like a elderly sloth so we had a Phil and Ted's 3 wheel pram (the sport model?) for her. There was never any teasing from the other kids but one child did ask why DD had a pram. My response of we live too far away for her to walk was apparently acceptable as we didn't get any more questions. I never had any comments from adults, possibly my RBF scared them away.

#17 jayskette

Posted 20 July 2019 - 12:10 AM

i have seen disabled kids of school age in prams, but it appears to be bigger than regular prams, you could try them.

#18 literally nobody

Posted 20 July 2019 - 12:22 AM

Maclaren XLR is a large umbrella style pram designed for a very decent weight limit. I think up to 35kg..

Edited by literally nobody, 20 July 2019 - 12:23 AM.

#19 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 20 July 2019 - 12:35 AM

The other day I pushed two 5yos in a pram! I don’t recommend it really :lol:

Anyway, 5yo DD goes on the pram’s skateboard seat, as she couldn’t make the walk to school (with DS in the pram). She now usually scoots most of the way, but it’s convenient that she can jump on the pram if she wants.

Adding to a PP’s suggestion of pulling the scooter along if needed - get one with an easily adjustable handle so you can raise the handle when you want to pull it along. It can be very hard on your back to pull them along if it’s a fixed height handle.

#20 Overtherainbow

Posted 20 July 2019 - 01:41 AM

I understand your needs and the question. If muscle tone is an issue, there is a high chance it will be a real challenge after a day of school.

Seen older chn in one, and said hi, just as I would a younger child. I think it would be more chn who may innocently say something, ‘why are they still in a pram, I don’t need a pram, etc’.

Are there other workable options? Would they have the muscle tone to stay seated on a tag along bike, or a bike with an adult handle?

Have you talked about this with their ot, physio if using one, as they may have some suggestions.

So glad you’re child will be enjoying the benefit of outdoors after a day at school.

#21 Islander

Posted 20 July 2019 - 06:58 AM

My usually kind six year old daughter made a comment about this last week!! Her also six year old cousin was offered the pram for a 900m walk to the playground and he happily accepted. My daughter burst out laughing and said “you can’t go in a pram, they’re just for babies and toddlers!”. I answered that if his legs were tired then a pram was a great idea, and she readily accepted that. It was a bit embarrassing all round though.
Edited to say: what I mean by this is that kids can say mean things, and might. But it sounds like a great idea to use a pram, and in your shoes I definitely would. Having a reason that other kids quickly understand for your child to use may be useful though.

Edited by Islander, 20 July 2019 - 07:01 AM.

#22 literally nobody

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:43 AM

Id recommend paediatric physio exercises too.

#23 onetrick

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:25 AM

Are the people commenting rudely driving themselves the distance to the kinder? If so, that's a little hypocritical (sorry, that's all that I could think while reading the rest of this- it they are getting into cars themselves then it's kind of the same thing...)

#24 IamtheMumma

Posted 20 July 2019 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for the replies. We're currently waiting for NDIS to approve our application to start physio. We have an OT that we see.

For those wanting a pram, I bought a BJ City Elite. It holds up to 34gs. It is an all terrain model so can be used for jogging as well (not that I will be) and its a very easy push. Best of all, DS loves it.

#25 mandala

Posted 20 July 2019 - 02:41 PM

I would consider a tricycle or balance bike for him, not because he 'should' be walking, but because a 5yo in a pram is hard work to push and if you are experiencing health issues you don't want to make your own health worse.

I find that kids are not as fast on the tricycle/balance bikes as on scooters or bikes with pedals, so don't get too far ahead when I'm going slow, but it's still easier for them than walking all the way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.