Heating tuna in the microwave at work

• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you heat tuna in the microwave at work? (288 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you heat tuna in the microwave at work?

1. Yes, I'm a psychopath and enjoy watching my colleagues suffer. (9 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

2. Yes, why shouldn't I? (60 votes [20.83%])

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

3. Sometimes, I'm a rebel. (23 votes [7.99%])

Percentage of vote: 7.99%

4. No, I am considerate of my fellow humans olfactory systems. (71 votes [24.65%])

Percentage of vote: 24.65%

5. No, and people who do such a thing are psychopaths. (125 votes [43.40%])

Percentage of vote: 43.40%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Renovators delight

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:36 PM

DP has been complaining about people using the microwave at work to heat up their tuna. I told him its not quite as bad as people using the sandwich press to heat up a tuna sandwich, and if it bothers him that much he should put up a passive aggressive sign in the kitchen.

What do you think? Unacceptable workplace behaviour?

I had a job for 26 years and used the kitchen as infrequently as possible for this reason, but I am mean and make DP's lunch so he is forced to use the fridge and microwave frequently.

#2 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:38 PM

i am against any form of tuna in the work place...but ...but...why are people heating tuna? like a can of tuna? or a tuna fillet? or are they re-heating a tuna dish they cooked the night before? anyway...it’s unacceptable IMV.

#3 dadwasathome

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:41 PM

I regularly toast flavoured tuna sandwiches in the sandwich press at work, ever since medical advice to cut back on cheese (which had been my staple for years). I've never had a comment, other than how tasty it seems.

#4 JomoMum

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:42 PM

I don’t mind tuna. But I think you can find enough meals outside of the work day to eat it.

And the same goes for other very strong smelling foods.

#5 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:42 PM

Hmmm. Depends.

You should avoid heating any fish or anything stinky at work if you can. But some tuna is worse than others. If it’s a bit of left over tuna mornay on pasta, then fine, that doesn’t smell too bad. If they are just emptying a tin of tuna into a bowl and heating it up, then that’s weird, and, eww, that would stink so bad, and shouldn’t be done in a workplace.

But nothing you can do about it really.

My office is somewhat open plan, microwaves directly across from desks. So microwave smells travel far and wide. But I can’t say there has ever been frequent smell issues. Usually the only comments are “OMg that smells good, I’m so hungry”. The worst smells come from food in the fridge that goes bad because people forget about it.

#6 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:43 PM

I wouldnt even use the microwave after that.
I'm allergic to seafood and the smell alone makes me gag
If it were a common thing, I'd have to work elsewhere

#7 Renovators delight

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:43 PM

View PostJomoMum, on 15 July 2019 - 01:42 PM, said:

I don’t mind tuna. But I think you can find enough meals outside of the work day to eat it.

And the same goes for other very strong smelling foods.

I was so glad when I was old enough to go out on my own and leave the suburb when mum insisted on making sardines on toast for her lunch. :sick:

#8 Grrrumbles

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:44 PM

I make toasted sandwiches with tuna in the kitchen at work. I may have heated mornay in the microwave on occasion. The kitchen is well away from the work areas, quite open and there are 2 on the floor so I don’t think I am putting anyone out.

#9 seayork2002

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:48 PM

I can't say I would be bothered really but I live vicariously of all the amazing food smells that the Chinese people at work with who reheat their lunch at work and wish I could cook that good  of a cook or even be organised enough for leftovers.

#10 WTFJerk

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:50 PM

I did not know there was so much tuna hate in the world

#11 marple

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:54 PM

View PostGrrrumbles, on 15 July 2019 - 01:44 PM, said:

I make toasted sandwiches with tuna in the kitchen at work. I may have heated mornay in the microwave on occasion. The kitchen is well away from the work areas, quite open and there are 2 on the floor so I don’t think I am putting anyone out.

I'm with you on the tuna mornay but why oh why would you heat up a tuna sandwich.

#12 hills mum bec

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:59 PM

I don't like tuna myself but it seems to be a popular lunch choice in our workplace.  I don't have an issue with other people's tuna smells in the kitchen.  I don't like the smell but what they eat for lunch is their choice.  I'm sure my reheated curry leftovers don't smell that great to some people as well.

#13 dadwasathome

Posted 15 July 2019 - 01:59 PM

View Postmarple, on 15 July 2019 - 01:54 PM, said:

I'm with you on the tuna mornay but why oh why would you heat up a tuna sandwich.

Plain tuna is blandsville, and flavoured tuna needs to be heated or it's icky.

And toasted sandwiches are essential as the bread is always stale.

#14 Grrrumbles

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:01 PM

I buy the little cans of sun dried tomato and basil tuna and use bread out of the freezer. I don’t think I have ever done anything else other than toasties with the flavoured tuna - thought it was pretty normal.

#15 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:02 PM

what the hell is “flavoured” tuna?

#16 JomoMum

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:05 PM

I would suggest it’s not the kind of thing a coworker can legally say to another coworker.

But everyone knows who the person is who stinks out the breakout area. Just the way it is.

Edited by JomoMum, 15 July 2019 - 02:06 PM.

#17 Luci

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:11 PM

I used to work with a woman who was really into exercise & healthy eating and would often mow through a big bowl of tuna & broccoli for lunch. 15 years later & I still feel sick thinking about it.

#18 literally nobody

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:11 PM

Can’t be worse than a guy I worked with - he would microwave his scrambled eggs and spam every day. Made me dry retch., he would also take his chewing gum out of his mouth and put it on a napkin on the lunch table then pop it back in his mouth after the eggs and spam.

Id make a point of getting a large cardboard box to put in front of me so i don’t even have to look at him. Gross.

#19 Demera

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:13 PM

I'm afraid I don't understand the tuna aversion either. It's really the only fish I eat and it's perfect for lunch. The local bakery makes an awesome tuna pie!

What should be banned is eating boiled eggs. We have a staff member who has them every day. The lunchroom smells like you just walked into a fart!

#20 Nasty Poobah

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:13 PM

Some days DP mixes mashed sardines with raw chopped onion and spreads it on toast.

No jury would convict me.

Tuna in the microwave would be worse.

#21 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:14 PM

yeh it’s unbelievable what people think is acceptable in a communal kitchen - i mean, unless your workplace has an industrial style kitchen with exhaust fans etc, then basically - the kitchen is for making tea and coffee. and hot water. the fridge is for your slices of lemon and the milk / milk substitutes (soy etc). that’s it.

#22 Pocket...

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:15 PM

Where's the limit though?  I'd prefer to smell a tuna toasty than a cheese toasty. The smell of melted cheese has been known to make me vomit. As in actually vomit. Yet I'm pretty sure I'd be told where to get off if I complained.

Can't have an entire office missing out on cheese sandwiches...

#23 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:16 PM

Dammit, all this talk of tuna, Now I have to have tuna on toast for lunch. I’m not at work though.

View PostNasty Poobah, on 15 July 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

Some days DP mixes mashed sardines with raw chopped onion and spreads it on toast.

No jury would convict me.

Tuna in the microwave would be worse.

Does it make his breath stink? I’d stink for days

#24 Pocket...

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:17 PM

LB, I can't like your post enough.

#25 marple

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:19 PM

I was thinking a tuna sandwich with lettuce and mayo and tomato etc. Couldn't get why you were putting that in the microwave.
If the bread is always stale pp, buy  a nice fresh roll instead.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.