Wedding day nerves

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 redleaves

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:38 PM

In just under 11 weeks, I am getting married.
Its my first marriage and he is a wonderful, caring and intelligent man. He's pretty special.

Things have been tracking really well in our relationship, I have been happier and healthier than in my whole adult life.

The wedding planning has been coasting along nicely.

Last weekend we handed out all the invitations...and now the nerves have kicked in. I don't have cold feet or any misgivings about marrying him - I definitely want to, but I think it just might be nerves and anxiety as the day gets closer.

Any thoughts and words of wisdom would be much appreciated,
thank you

#2 MooGuru

Posted 13 July 2019 - 02:08 AM

Would it help you to reframe it as nervous excitement/anticipation - which is totally normal to feel. Eta nerves are generally normal but adding the anticipation may help you separate it from feelings about your relationship vs the event itself (I'm not sure I'm making sense but it's totally normal to be nervous.

The most important thing on the day is you and your partners happiness. If you're both glowing with happiness everything else could go wrong and everyone will still be over the moon for you.

One of my favourite ever weddings was one disaster after another if you were to look at it written down before the big day but being there in person, it was the most beautiful day filled with love and lots of laughter.

Edited by MooGuru, 13 July 2019 - 02:10 AM.

#3 onetrick

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:32 AM

I think the big thing is to remember that you're beginning a marriage, not 'having a wedding'. It will be an amazing day no matter what happens as you are starting the next step together.

Oh, and something will go wrong, but you shouldn't let it get to you no matter what it is. It will just be another story to tell later :)

#4 MsLaurie

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:40 AM

I recall being told that at least one thing will be wrong- thecake the wrong shape or the flowers the wrong shade or the table settings not right, or... etc etc. BUT ONLY YOU WILL KNOW OR NOTICE, so just sail through like you always meant for orange flowers with pink bows and no one else will care.

#5 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:52 AM

The wedding day is just that, a day. Being married carries on (hopefully) for life. DH and I have been married for over 15 years, together for nearly 21 (we were 23/24 when we met). We have even managed to survive the major house renovation/extension/build where we moved out for 18m.

My actual wedding day stuff didn’t go as planned but like PP said no one will notice and it is one day. I was a relaxed Bride and I can say that night/following day my cheeks were sore from all my smiling (natural from joy not forced) smiling I did all day... you could not wipe the smile from my face that day. Sure my brother wore dark glasses most of the day looking like he was hung over (had ended up working night shift night before) and I didn’t get a photo with my siblings, sure I walked into the door handle and had a huge bruise on my upper arm (with sleeveless dress) and forgot to apply concealer, but I was just soooo happy that day.

Goodluck.

#6 TheGreenSheep

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:08 AM

Redleaves I remember your story. I am so delighted for you that this day is almost here. It’s sounds perfect.

I thinks it’s perfectly normal to feel nervous excitement about your wedding day.

There may be tiny wrinkles in your day, despite that it will be amazing. Enjoy!

#7 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:14 AM

WE were married in 1988.
I still remember the dreams in the last few months - like the one where I walked down the aisle in a gown with a huge coffee stain - didn't even drink coffee at the time.

What went wrong?
Hmm...  the night before teenage rebel and bridesmaid SIL stayed overnight 2.5 hours away to go to a party, refused to leave me her wedding shoes and realised when she was at the station she didn't have them. God knows what speed she travelled at back to get them - but she made it - Hungover but there.
We forgot to get the service booklets to the church so had a frantic call that guests were arriving but no books.
The photographer's camera broke, the back up didn't work so things came to a halt while a third was ferried over.
PIA FIL got 'lost' on the way to the service - with 4 overseas guests in the car. They never made it we went on without him.

I hope the above list doesn't give you further stress. The day was a dream, despite all that happened I floated through it on a cloud of joy.
We have been married for over 30 years have 3 fantastic kids and a happy, happy life. It is a big stress getting organised, it won't be perfect but it doesn't matter.

You are committing to the person you love in front of people who love you - life doesn't get much better.

#8 Jenflea

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:32 AM

Heh, my florist guy was late. he'd been pulled over for speeding on the way!

It's like childbirth. One day out of your life and the main event is the actual marriage(or bringing up a human), not the few hours of wedding.

I was so nervous on the day, but the moment I stood at the end of the aisle my anxiety melted away and it's been 21 years of (mostly) happiness since.

I hardly even remember by wedding day itself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.