Replacing a toilet suite. (Maybe Aldi)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BECZ

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:40 PM

Has anybody purchased or known anyone who has purchased the Aldi toilet suite including installation package?

Information on installation (replacement) cost through a regular plumber would be greatly appreciated too.  I know plumbers fees can vary a lot, but I just want some general idea.

Our main bathroom was meant to be totally renovated when we bought this place, but when the previous owners stretched everything out, it didn't get done before we moved in and with baby being born a few days after we moved in and then DF being made redundant not long after, it just didn't happen.  As we are looking at KDRB in the next couple of years, we can't justify spending the money on a total reno, but as it is, the kids won't use the old 'salmon' toilet (the vanity is falling apart too) as apparently it's too noisy and scary.  I eventually turned it off at the wall as it was leaking.

They still use the bath and shower in there, but all six of us use the basin and toilet in what is like a tiny ensuite, but just outside our bedroom door.

I just thought that replacing the toilet and vanity in there would freshen it up, make it much more useable and also add storage as currently there is just a basin with a bench surrounding it (no shelves, cupboards or storage underneath). It will still be salmon pink, blue, grey and hideous, but more practical.

#2 born.a.girl

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:06 PM

Ah, salmon pink and grey, that was our bathroom when we moved here.

How soon are you knocking down 2years or 7? I wouldn't spend a cent on something you're going to knock down within a couple of years.

Six for one toilet's a fair few, but that was standard not so long ago.  Not saying that to suggest there's no issue, just that it's not insurmountable given the alternative's going to cost you money you could use elsewhere.

Where is it leaking? Could you use some tape around the joint?

You can also dramatically reduce the flow into the cistern, and also reduce the amount coming out of it by placing something in the cistern.

#3 BECZ

Posted 12 July 2019 - 08:57 PM

Well, we had planned to have done it by now, but things didn't go the way we had planned, so although we hope to do it in the next 2-3 years, it could be up to 5-7 years away.  As we have been here nine years now, I know we can put up with it, but at the same time, the reality of it not happening sooner rather than later has also set in too.  So I'm looking at making a few things more comfortable for as little cost as possible.

It's just the cistern leaking which is probably just a washer, but the kids still come to the other side of the house and use ours anyway.  I'm sure if we put a new one in they would go to the one near their bedrooms.

The Aldi package is $299 for the toilet itself and includes installation.  They have a vanity too, but my kids always saturate the bathroom floor, so I want one that is higher off the ground.  So I'll just get a cheap one somewhere else.  It probably won't match, but it won't match with the rest of the bathroom anyway.  I was thinking if I could do it for around $800 all up, it would be worth it for a couple of years.  Our house is so small that it seems silly to have things taking us space and not being used.

#4 WaitForMe

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:37 PM

Well this is the first I learnt of this Aldi special buy, but I'm in a similar situation as you. Except we only have one bathroom so have no choice but to use it.

We planned to renovate the bathroom but life happened. Now I just want to do something cheap to get us by.

The toilet looks a very good price. On Bunnings you can buy a $99 toilet but its not as water efficient. I was about to say surely it would cost more than $200 to install but then google just told me Bunnings will do it for $149. So you could do it slightly cheaper through them but less water efficient.

Whats the Aldi warranty? Bunnings is 5 years on both product and installation.
https://www.bunnings...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Our vanity is what we really need replacing. Its a really old varnished wooden one, but the water has gotten underneath the varnish and so its all black and gross. Not sure I like the Aldi sink though.

#5 WaitForMe

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:40 PM

I'm kicking myself atm, because we got a bad leak on our toilet repaired just a couple months ago. Pretty sure the repair cost more than $299 (or $249)! And yet we still have a really old toilet! Argh.

#6 Noodlez

Posted 12 July 2019 - 09:51 PM

I would do it... I just had a quick google and it doesn’t seem to be that expensive.

#7 MrsPuddleduck

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:03 PM

Surely you could reuse a newish toilet if you renovated your bathroom in the next few years? I intend reusing our new taps when we redo our bathrooms.

#8 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:11 PM

No idea about the Aldi toilet, but I’d prefer a bunnings or other big store toilet, just because it’s easier to exchange if something goes wrong. If the Aldi one breaks and they are out of stock all you can do is get your money back, and not sure how that works with installation.

A plumber shouldn’t cost much to do the installation because you are replacing an existing toilet, so the plumbing is there. We had a plumber completely remove our toilet to remove a blockage, then replace it again, think that was around $200. It didn’t look that complicated. But it was a modern bathroom.

Oh, and check the fine print on the installation. Does that include removing the old toilet? Some old toilets are pretty much concreted to the floor. They can be a huge pain to remove and you would have to level the floor somewhat to put the new toilet in. That is where the cost could blow up.

#9 WTF_SM3

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:38 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 12 July 2019 - 10:11 PM, said:

No idea about the Aldi toilet, but I’d prefer a bunnings or other big store toilet, just because it’s easier to exchange if something goes wrong. If the Aldi one breaks and they are out of stock all you can do is get your money back, and not sure how that works with installation.

A plumber shouldn’t cost much to do the installation because you are replacing an existing toilet, so the plumbing is there. We had a plumber completely remove our toilet to remove a blockage, then replace it again, think that was around $200. It didn’t look that complicated. But it was a modern bathroom.

Oh, and check the fine print on the installation. Does that include removing the old toilet? Some old toilets are pretty much concreted to the floor. They can be a huge pain to remove and you would have to level the floor somewhat to put the new toilet in. That is where the cost could blow up.

And does it include disposal of old toilet.

#10 BECZ

Posted 13 July 2019 - 12:28 AM

View PostWTF_SM3, on 12 July 2019 - 10:38 PM, said:

And does it include disposal of old toilet.

I think I read somewhere that that was an extra $30, but apparently our council take them and we have other stuff for a council pickup too or I'll just pay the $30 if they don't take them.

#11 Kallie88

Posted 13 July 2019 - 12:36 AM

Probably doesn't help if the kids have issue with the toilet, but our cistern was leaking and I found someone giving away a toilet (they'd upgraded) on gumtree so we (dh) just replaced the cistern. Free. Works fine. No more leak. Saves us $$ until we can actually afford to do some reno.

#12 BECZ

Posted 13 July 2019 - 12:47 AM

View PostWaitForMe, on 12 July 2019 - 09:37 PM, said:

Well this is the first I learnt of this Aldi special buy, but I'm in a similar situation as you. Except we only have one bathroom so have no choice but to use it.

We planned to renovate the bathroom but life happened. Now I just want to do something cheap to get us by.

The toilet looks a very good price. On Bunnings you can buy a $99 toilet but its not as water efficient. I was about to say surely it would cost more than $200 to install but then google just told me Bunnings will do it for $149. So you could do it slightly cheaper through them but less water efficient.

Whats the Aldi warranty? Bunnings is 5 years on both product and installation.
https://www.bunnings...38;gclsrc=aw.ds

Our vanity is what we really need replacing. Its a really old varnished wooden one, but the water has gotten underneath the varnish and so its all black and gross. Not sure I like the Aldi sink though.

Oh, I'd much rather go through Bunnings then.  I'm happy to pay a bit more for a more water efficient one.
I'm not typically an Aldi shopper and like ~LemonMyrtle~ said, it would be safer to stick to Bunnings or similar.
Thanks for that!

I don't really like the Aldi sink either.  Plus it would probably end up too high for my younger two. So it wouldn't upset me to not get that either.  I just wasn't sure how much installation of another toilet would cost and I thought that at least the Aldi was a set price within reason.  

Our vanity is just laminate with exposed particle board underneath.  It is currently slopes towards the front right corner.  There was a leg off an old table propping it up when we bought the place,  but it seems to have disappeared.  
So yes, it sure has seen better days.

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 12 July 2019 - 10:11 PM, said:

Yes.  This was my concern.  Being such an old bathroom, I'm worried what else may become an issue.

Edited by BECZ, 13 July 2019 - 01:00 AM.

#13 BECZ

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:09 AM

View PostWaitForMe, on 12 July 2019 - 09:40 PM, said:

I'm kicking myself atm, because we got a bad leak on our toilet repaired just a couple months ago. Pretty sure the repair cost more than $299 (or $249)! And yet we still have a really old toilet! Argh.

Oh bugger!

That was kind of my line of thinking.  If it doesn't cost much more than it would to fix the old one, then it was probabaly worth it.  
The washer in the tap on the wall is gone, but I can't change it as I can't undo the tap on the wall.  It's been there so long.  I get that I would probably have to pay the plumber organised through Aldi extra to fix this, but I'm hoping not much extra, where it would probably cost close to that just to get someone out to fix that, so I might as well get the whole thing replaced.

#14 overlytired

Posted 13 July 2019 - 04:52 AM

View PostBECZ, on 13 July 2019 - 12:47 AM, said:

I don't really like the Aldi sink either.  Plus it would probably end up too high for my younger two. So it wouldn't upset me to not get that either.  I just wasn't sure how much installation of another toilet would cost and I thought that at least the Aldi was a set price within reason.

Would you consider an IKEA vanity & sink? Ours is installed at a standard height, "floating" (ie no legs), but even with legs you could install it to whatever height suits you. Some examples:
Budget option: https://www.ikea.com...ucts/S59303905/
Pricier but bigger: https://www.ikea.com...ucts/S69184879/

#15 Ayr

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:23 AM

I googled info about the aldi toiias we were considering it and the last time they had this promo it got very mixed reviews regarding the installation run around, average install job, extra costs to get it in right etc. I've decided to steer clear.

#16 Pearson

Posted 13 July 2019 - 08:56 AM

View Postoverlytired, on 13 July 2019 - 04:52 AM, said:

Would you consider an IKEA vanity & sink? Ours is installed at a standard height, "floating" (ie no legs), but even with legs you could install it to whatever height suits you. Some examples:
Budget option: https://www.ikea.com...ucts/S59303905/
Pricier but bigger: https://www.ikea.com...ucts/S69184879/

we got a reno quote done last year, and the guy said buy any vanity you want, but don't go ikea, it is not up to Australian plumbing code or something - they had several that they had to spend additional money on to make ok for the plumbing, so now actually put that in the quote.

ETA  - also, you need to watch the distance between the "s trap" and the wall etc for the toilet

Edited by Pearson, 13 July 2019 - 08:58 AM.

#17 born.a.girl

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:21 AM

View PostAyr, on 13 July 2019 - 06:23 AM, said:

I googled info about the aldi toiias we were considering it and the last time they had this promo it got very mixed reviews regarding the installation run around, average install job, extra costs to get it in right etc. I've decided to steer clear.

That's what would bother me with those fixed prices.  The tradies doing it are probably making stuff all, and if the installation is not going perfectly to plan, are understandably going to want full rate for the extra time.

A busy tradie with lots of return business and referrals is unlikely to need to do that sort of work.  I know I'm a bit cynical about it though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.