What do I need to change to lose weight?

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#76 Hands Up

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:31 PM

On the 16:8 question I do 12pm-8pm but could easily do 1pm-8pm and often do if I have a midday meeting. It only took me a few days to not miss breakfast. I do have a coffee with almond milk that is less than 50 cals.

#77 night jasmine

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:39 PM

My diet and exercise levels have been consistent for years but as I get older my weight has crept up, from underweight to now the higher side of ‘average’. Interested to see if 16:8 can reset my normal.

#78 zenkitty

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:48 PM

I find strict calorie counting for a couple of weeks helps me recalibrate my portion sizes. Left to my own devices a healthy snack of berries and yoghurt is too big, my healthy lunch of 2 sushi rolls is actually more calorific than my protein & veg dinner and my treats are too frequent. Having it written down makes me realise this.

From your sample days I can tell you what I would need to do to lose weight:
- toast would be one slice with scrape of butter
- I had to ban sushi for lunch, the sweetened rice was too calorific. Soup (without bread), salads, small tin of baked beans, boiled egg and veggie sticks are all better for me.
- afternoon snack would need to be a piece of fruit or some veggies
- pasta with pesto and parmesan would be considered a treat dinner, not a regular one. The salmon dinner sounds good with small portions of both salmon & potatoes. The 2 egg omelette & toast is probably lower calorie than the pesto pasta depending on whether cheese and butter are used. 2 poached eggs with mushroom & tomato and a slice of toast is a pretty good dinner if you minimise fats
- wine is a treat
- I try to stick to the plan 5-6 days a week and not worry too much on the other 1-2 days. So maybe Saturday I would have some cheese & crackers, pasta for dinner, an extra coffee and a couple of glasses of wine. But back to no treats the next day.

It’s boring, but I lose weight with fewer calories going in, excercise has less impact. It doesn’t sound like you have much scope to increase your (already good) activity levels anyway.

Good luck!

#79 2bundles

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:22 PM

Try the CSIRO gut health diet. Should help the ibs too.

I agree with others that your diet seems too carb heavy.

#80 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 11 July 2019 - 02:32 PM

I read Fat Logic by Nadia Hermann this year and thought it was one of the best book on weight that I’ve read. It’s not a particular diet, it’s about the myths around weight that are all around us. Things like “starvation mode” or “big bones”. The author is a German behavioural psychologist who lost a lot of weight in a year and has lots of interesting, evidence-based insights into that journey. Very no-nonsense but not judgemental.

#81 Ozquoll

Posted 11 July 2019 - 10:10 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 10 July 2019 - 08:04 PM, said:

When I get back, I've taught my body to expect breakfast. that has exactly the same effect it has on you.

I just have to discipline myself to wait till lunchtime - it only takes a few weeks for my body to return to normal.  I'm three days in!
There is research on this topic 🙂. No doubt there’s lots of research and half of it contradicts the other half 😆....but in the study referred to in this article at least, it seems that it doesn’t matter if you have breakfast or not, your body will get used to whatever you do regularly. The main problem, as B.A.G. notes, is switching between the two regimes.
http://suppversity.b...ipping.html?m=1

#82 born.a.girl

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:52 AM

View PostOzquoll, on 11 July 2019 - 10:10 PM, said:

There is research on this topic . No doubt there’s lots of research and half of it contradicts the other half ....but in the study referred to in this article at least, it seems that it doesn’t matter if you have breakfast or not, your body will get used to whatever you do regularly. The main problem, as B.A.G. notes, is switching between the two regimes.
http://suppversity.b...ipping.html?m=1

Thanks for that, just skimmed through.

You'd think I'd have learnt after the first two trips that this is what happens.  None so blind as those who will not see.

I foolishly indulge myself on return as I don't want to spoil the post-holiday bliss by immediately not eating in the morning.  I actually wake up thinking 'food!'.   A week becomes a month and heigh-ho 3 - 4 kilos.

At least I've stopped gaining, but this week is only no food before 'lunchtime' (when I eat oats and muesli for cholesterol reduction).  I still eat way too much between then and when I stop, plus I've had wine last two nights.

Next week is no snacks between 'lunch' and dinner.

#83 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:43 AM

I’m reading this whilst eating peanut brittle.  No prizes for guessing what my issues are.

#84 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:54 AM

And now I feel sick.

#85 Overtherainbow

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:36 PM

Record your calories and make sure there’s a deficit. Boost your gut health foods. Sauerkraut, kombucha, bone broth, probiotic yoghurt, chia, etc (this has made a huge difference for my ibs, too).

Increase vegetable content. Use vegetables to fill your plate and increase nutrition. Vegetable soup is a great snack to have on hand.

Get the 10000 steps per day. I’m injured and doing limited km atm, and noticing it harder to keep dropping the kgs.

#86 born.a.girl

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:32 PM

View PostWTFJerk, on 12 July 2019 - 11:54 AM, said:

And now I feel sick.

I can resist much better when I'm hungry than when I'm actually already full.  I don't get it.

#87 swimmingalong

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:15 AM

Fb groups for fasting
16:8 australia
Delay Dont Deny Intermittent Fasting support

#88 BahumChchgirlbug

Posted 13 July 2019 - 07:13 AM

View PostWTFJerk, on 12 July 2019 - 11:54 AM, said:

And now I feel sick.

Omg I so feel you, this is me!!

#89 bluesilk

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:05 AM

Small changes you could make - have one piece of toast plus piece of fruit instead, cut your protein & potato, or pasta in half at dinner and have them for lunch the next day with extra veg/salad instead, limit to one glass of wine, eat half the pizza plus salad, make it a 1 egg plus 1 eggwhite omelette. Also 16-8 or even 14-10 a couple of days a week can be good - stops after dinner snacking. Try to move more incidentally during the day - having a fitbit can help you be more mindful of this.

#90 Abernathy

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:49 PM

I am doing the Fast-800. The first two weeks were hard but now my body is used to it and I have easily lost 5kgs in first 4 weeks with no additional exercise. My aim is to continue at 800 for another month and then move into the 5:2 for maintenance. My goal was to lose 11 kgs. I know I need to find some sort of physical activity I enjoy to add to my routine as part of my maintenance. Still thinking.....

#91 noelaus3

Posted 13 July 2019 - 04:31 PM

I've only had weight loss success with weight watchers because I am pretty lazy and need a lot of structure.  Ive tried a number of other techniques but for some reason it works for me. I do it all online and since April I am about 17kg down.  

I'd like to tell you that I exercise but that would be a lie because I have MS and it hurts a lot afterwards so I hardly do any.  I'd probably be further ahead if I did.  I get to drink wine and eat carbs in a moderate sort of way.

#92 Lifesgood

Posted 13 July 2019 - 06:58 PM

Things I've changed since starting this thread:
- cut out cappuccinos (having black or peppermint tea or long black coffee with a dash of milk)
- strict limit of 2 glasses of wine each w/e night (total of 6 per week) aiming to reduce to 4 per week.
- reduced pizza by 1/3
- protein with brekkie
- salads for lunch
- only 1 square of choccie last night!

Dinner tonight is being prepared - chicken skewers on the BBQ, baby carrots, zuchini sticks and baby potatoes (will strictly limit these).

Feeling fine about it so far.

#93 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 13 July 2019 - 09:04 PM

I have lost 22kg since January and about 75% of this is due to changes in what I eat and how I put foods together.

I eat low carb and low sugar.  This means I do not eat bread at all, I do not eat potato (only occassionally), I do not eat sweet potato, corn and potato together, nor do I eat any 2 of those vegies in one meal.

I eat very little or no processed foods, no ice creams, chocolate, lolllies, or foods with any added sugar.

I stick to whole foods, lean meats, salad, pumpkin, zucchini, spinach, squash, carrots, kale, beans, basmatti rice, no pasta.

I also stick to a palm size portion of meat, mostly chicken or fish.  I avoid sauces, or gravies.

It is hard but I also do allow myself to cheat, and to be completely direct I do feel better when I eat like this.

I try to do the 10 000 steps each day but have a minimum of 5 000.  I haven't added extra exercise as yet.

#94 born.a.girl

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:10 AM

^^^ Things like sauces and gravies are a killer.

When my husband first retired (unexpectedly, made redundant) I was still working and he took over most of the cooking.

He got a bit carried away and every item on the plate had its own recipe.  Hard to be critical of someone who's gone to that effort, but honey glazed carrots, raspberry vineagar green beans, potatoes god knows how many fattening ways, meant that were probably as many calories in each of the veggies as the protein.

I had to ask, as gently as possible, if he could keep his creative endeavours to the meat, with an occasional experiment with the veggies.

#95 born.a.girl

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:47 AM

How are you doing, Lifesgood?

I have a trick that's helping me and thought I'd share.

Only made slow progress last week,and the reason is I kept putting of weighing myself until it wasn't going to be too dismaying.  It's one thing that works for me, having it in front of me in black and white - it does the opposite for others, so it's a case of 'do what works'.

Finally bit the bullet on Monday, and it was up 4 x kg in ONE MONTH.

I put the weight into my icalendar and have it set for a 9am reminder. Then if I think I'm going into 'out of sight out of mine' mode, I just snooze it each time.

Having put on so much in such a short period, it's actually not that hard to lose 100g a day without depriving myself, just not being a pig and mindlessly eating, or not as often.

Remains to be seen how I do when the easy bit's done.

I do find reminders to not eat mindlessly help.

#96 Lifesgood

Posted 17 July 2019 - 01:10 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 17 July 2019 - 09:47 AM, said:

How are you doing, Lifesgood?

I have a trick that's helping me and thought I'd share.

Only made slow progress last week,and the reason is I kept putting of weighing myself until it wasn't going to be too dismaying.  It's one thing that works for me, having it in front of me in black and white - it does the opposite for others, so it's a case of 'do what works'.
I only weigh myself weekly. I'm pretty sure I haven't lost any weight this week - though I hope I haven't gained any either!

Daily weighing is probably the way to go.

I've found it hard to give up my toast and butter for brekkie, although I switched to one piece of toast with avocado, feta and tomato yesterday.

But then I had a glass of wine last night (because school hols and DH home for dinner pathetic reason argh!)

#97 born.a.girl

Posted 17 July 2019 - 01:18 PM

View PostLifesgood, on 17 July 2019 - 01:10 PM, said:

I only weigh myself weekly. I'm pretty sure I haven't lost any weight this week - though I hope I haven't gained any either!

Daily weighing is probably the way to go.

I've found it hard to give up my toast and butter for brekkie, although I switched to one piece of toast with avocado, feta and tomato yesterday.

But then I had a glass of wine last night (because school hols and DH home for dinner pathetic reason argh!)

TBH, toast is so lethal for me, with butter so thick there are teethmarks in it, that I have to ditch it.

For me it was as much about lowering cholesterol though, I must admit. Changing to oats + muesli has done wonders for that, probably helped by less butter.

I had two glasses of wine.  Haven't ditched the alcohol yet, will need to do that when it gets 'serious'.

I don't think daily weighing of itself is much use in terms of weight loss, but it helps me massively, psychologically.   It flashes up on my screen every half hour: 59.3.

It helps show me that sometimes there are fluctuations even when you're eating properly.  Doing it once a week could be that day it's up a bit - and I would find that too demoralising, whereas it doesn't affect me that way daily.  Go figure.

I've always maintained if you took 20 people who needed to lose weight, there'd turn out to be 20 different methods that work for them.

#98 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 18 July 2019 - 02:02 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 17 July 2019 - 01:18 PM, said:

I've always maintained if you took 20 people who needed to lose weight, there'd turn out to be 20 different methods that work for them.
agree with this.

#99 schwatzen

Posted 19 July 2019 - 06:20 AM

Haven't fully read this thread apart from the first two pages but i thought i'd post because i've just lost 8kgs in the past 3 months (7kgs more to go until i'm back into my old wardrobe) and thought my experience might interest someone.

So i decided for my birthday to buy a 12 week PT "body transformation" package. Instead of just going with a normal gym PT i ended up going with someone who does bodybuilding and figure competitions because i was after a very specific change (which is irrelevant to anyone just seeking to lose weight.)

I added 3 weights sessions to my week on top of my incidental/walking cardio as i was trying to build muscle while lose fat but as we all know fat loss is probably 90% diet.

So the diet i was on was basically 6 meals per day (always breakfast even though i'm not a breakfast eater) and a source of lean protein at every meal. 100gm for me worked well. Also veggies for almost every meal bar maybe 2 where i would have berries instead. And i only had carbs in the 2hr window after i worked out.

So my day would basically look like this:

B: tub of chobani fit yogurt with a cup of blueberries and a coffee
S: boiled egg, capsicum strips
L: tuna and mixed green leaf salad.
S: protein shake (pre workout)
D: chili con carne with rice and broccoli.
DT: tub of chobani fit yogurt.

As i got more into it we started to try and rev up my metabolism a bit more by adding 3 cups of green tea per day plus snacking on broccoli 3 times a day on top of my meals.

I can't say i was ever hungry (the opposite in fact) and i definitely got the results i was after.

At the moment i'm taking a break from training and so it's all diet at the moment.

I don't count calories but i do weigh myself every week so as long as they weight continues to go down i know i'm on the right track.

#100 Feral33

Posted 19 July 2019 - 06:52 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 17 July 2019 - 01:18 PM, said:

I don't think daily weighing of itself is much use in terms of weight loss, but it helps me massively, psychologically.   It flashes up on my screen every half hour: 59.3.

This seems a little bit psychologically unhealthy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.