What do I need to change to lose weight?

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#51 Mands09

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:02 PM

I think you should look at upping your protein levels to keep you satiated so you co some less food overall.

For example breakfast. Rather than 2 slices of bread with lashings of butter have 1 slice of bread with an egg and some avocado spread instead of butter.
Lunch - 2 sushi hand rolls is a lot of rice. Would you consider some chicken and veg like sweet potato mash instead?

I have just overhauled my diet and lost 3kgs in 2 weeks whereas I’d just stalked before. It’s hard work so good luck!

#52 born.a.girl

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:04 PM

View PostJomoMum, on 10 July 2019 - 07:22 PM, said:

When I eat breakfast, I am hungry again 1-2 hours later. Like haaaangry. When I don’t, I’m fine until late morning.

Not breaking fast until later in the day is the entire premise of hugely successful 16:8 programs.

It’s not about “skipping” breakfast, it’s about not eating until you’re actually hungry. Which is a concept I think we’ve lost entirely in the western world.

Zackly.

My problem* in the last few years, now that we are finally able to travel, is it's harder to stick to that without spending more money.  So many accommodations include breakfast (about half our last trip) and it's so much cheaper the rest of the time to self provide at least one meal a day, that my whole body clock of hunger is re-set.

*It doesn't get much more first world, but that's where I live.

When I get back, I've taught my body to expect breakfast. that has exactly the same effect it has on you.

I just have to discipline myself to wait till lunchtime - it only takes a few weeks for my body to return to normal.  I'm three days in!

#53 *melrose*

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:27 PM

I've lost 3kg in 8 weeks, all I've done is cut down suger and lots of it.

#54 MissMilla

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:38 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 10 July 2019 - 08:04 PM, said:

Zackly.

My problem* in the last few years, now that we are finally able to travel, is it's harder to stick to that without spending more money.  So many accommodations include breakfast (about half our last trip) and it's so much cheaper the rest of the time to self provide at least one meal a day, that my whole body clock of hunger is re-set.

*It doesn't get much more first world, but that's where I live.

When I get back, I've taught my body to expect breakfast. that has exactly the same effect it has on you.

I just have to discipline myself to wait till lunchtime - it only takes a few weeks for my body to return to normal.  I'm three days in!

When I travel and have breakfast included, I usually eat as late as possible with lots of eggs and fruit and skip lunch or have something very small for lunch (like leftovers from the kids).
Then go for a nice big dinner. Its not 16:8 of course, but I skip a meal either way and that already helps.

#55 born.a.girl

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:53 PM

View PostMissMilla, on 10 July 2019 - 08:38 PM, said:

When I travel and have breakfast included, I usually eat as late as possible with lots of eggs and fruit and skip lunch or have something very small for lunch (like leftovers from the kids).
Then go for a nice big dinner. Its not 16:8 of course, but I skip a meal either way and that already helps.

True, it's close enough, and that works for me on holidays, too, although it's sometimes a late lunch and fruit for dinner.

My problem is when I return home.  I don't have the discipline to return very quickly to my routine that keeps my weight steady, at home.

It's pretty pathetic having to get your husband to hide food.

#56 Lifesgood

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:07 PM

Thanks again for all the ideas, I'm going to try a few of them and see if any work for me.

I definitely need to cut my portion sizes and reduce carbs, wine and milk (in coffee).

I had sushi today - 1 roll only!

#57 ckmelb

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:12 PM

I inadvertently lost 7 kgs while trying to fall pregnant. I say inadvertent because weightloss wasn't the goal and at one point i needed to add back in a lot of higher fat dairy (butter, full cream milk) to stabilise as I was underweight.

Similar to some PPs that included adding tonnes more vegies into my diet. The only thing I counted was vegies in (aiming for 5+ full serves a day) and tried to avoid all 'white' things (white bread, white rice, white sugar). A typical food day looked like this:

Brekkie: small piece of seeded toast (or half a slice of a big sourdough piece) with avocado, 2 eggs. Sometimes I did peas on toast and also added mushrooms (weekends). Also a small cup or porridge or homemade muesli with greek yoghurt on the side. I am one of those people that loves and needs brekkie

Morning tea - fruit (banana or apple). Or roasted nuts / seeds. Chai latte or tumeric latte (never been a coffee drinker)

Lunch: if buying lunch it would be protein with vegies and a bit of carb. So a burrito bowl or a poke bowl but I would only eat a bit of the rice or substitute for more vegies.

Afternoon tea: Brazil nuts, 1 date.

Dinner: protein on a home made vegie salad eg chicken with spinach, roast chickpeas, pumpkin, with goats cheese and sesame seeds. I also would make home made lasagne with meat + vegies but only 2 pasta sheets and a little bit of cheese sauce and a big green salad on the side.

Before bed: greek yoghurt with berries

Drinks: tonnes of warm water all day and cups of tea (black / peppermint / rooibos)

This worked for me but I know everyone is different. But without being TMI the combo of loads of vegies with nuts + seeds as well as lots of warm water helped with "energy out". So I productively disposed of everything I ate each day (and then some)

Edited by ckmelb, 10 July 2019 - 09:12 PM.

#58 Hands Up

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:30 PM

I’ve lost 13 kilos and two dress sizes by doing two things:
1) following 16:8 for six days a week (allowed breakfast one day a week but no carbs, see below)
2) going low carb. I’ve cut out almost all sugar, bread, potato, rice, grains.

I have a vodka lime soda instead of wine.

Cauliflower rice and zoodles.

Almond milk instead of cosss milk.

Lots of lovely things in the fridge that I enjoy eating- smoked salmon, feta etc.

I have blow outs on holidays or when out with friends but my body doesn’t cope well with sugar/carbs anymore and I often regret it.

#59 kerilyntaryn

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:55 PM

I always thought that when skipping breakfast the body stores fats/sugars,  I think I'll have to look into the 16:8 thing though anyone have some good links

#60 Sincerely

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:50 AM

View PostMands09, on 10 July 2019 - 08:02 PM, said:

Lunch - 2 sushi hand rolls is a lot of rice. Would you consider some chicken and veg like sweet potato mash instead?

Yes, I agree. My family & I are also partial to sushi, but we are aware that the white rice and sugar significantly spike blood sugar levels and cause weight gain. The fish is nutritious but overall, sushi is not conducive to weight loss.

#61 Jersey Caramel

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:39 AM

View Postkerilyntaryn, on 10 July 2019 - 10:55 PM, said:

I always thought that when skipping breakfast the body stores fats/sugars,  I think I'll have to look into the 16:8 thing though anyone have some good links

I loosely follow 16:8, and I think the most helpful part of it for me has actually been the cutting out after dinner snacking,  rather than the delaying breakfast bit.

My body really doesn't need a snack only 1-2 hours after dinner,  or just before going to bed, but it was a very ingrained habit.

Now we eat as a family sometime between 6-7pm, and after that I only have a decaf tea.

Edited by Jersey Caramel, 11 July 2019 - 07:39 AM.

#62 born.a.girl

Posted 11 July 2019 - 07:45 AM

View Postkerilyntaryn, on 10 July 2019 - 10:55 PM, said:

I don't know about the science, and I did read an article in the age recently which suggested it's not good, but not because of the old mantra 'most important meal of the day'.  May have been true for physical workers centuries ago.

I think what you're saying is part of the false 'are you sure you're eating enough to lose weight'. Funnily enough it works for those who've had surgery.

When your body can't rely on the instant sugars from breakfast, it has to get its energy from elsewhere.  As I (think) I mentioned upthread, the ONLY times I feel the lack of food before lunchtime, is if I go to the gym mid-late morning, AND I've had a very early, or very light dinner the night before.

Surely that means on all of the other days, my energy is coming from dinner the night before?  Makes sense to me.

If I had breakfast then went to the gym I couldn't actually exercise because my body's busy processing the food - that's just me, I know other's can, but I have to wait several hours (like 3) after eating before I can exercise.

I'm also one of the lucky ones for whom exercise dulls the appetite.

#63 kimasa

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:19 AM

What you see in other's diets usually reflects what you need to see for your own health. We're trained up to recognise our own needs in others.

Contrary to what many have said here, I see your diet and see it as very low in nutrients. 1 (.5ish if you have a nori roll, not so much if you're having other sushi styles) serve of vegetables and sometimes 1 serve of fruit for the whole day. That's a lot of good stuff you're not getting.

But I've had many many years of being trained to count my micros because of my illness. And then on the flip side if I fasted outside of sleep I'd make myself very ill because that's less opportunities to get those in. Some people can fast, some can't.

Try a few approaches and see what works for your body. I'm a meal planner, I have a notebook where each week I write down every meal and snack so I can run down and see that I'm getting everything I need and don't have to make that decision when hungry or tired. I'm doing it for a different reason, but it might be a good idea to ensure you're filling up on nutrient dense things, rather than bread and coffees/teas, which do have a place in a diet, but not as an entire meal.

#64 Caribou

Posted 11 July 2019 - 08:30 AM

View PostJersey Caramel, on 11 July 2019 - 07:39 AM, said:

I loosely follow 16:8, and I think the most helpful part of it for me has actually been the cutting out after dinner snacking,  rather than the delaying breakfast bit.

My body really doesn't need a snack only 1-2 hours after dinner,  or just before going to bed, but it was a very ingrained habit.

Now we eat as a family sometime between 6-7pm, and after that I only have a decaf tea.

that's me too, I found myself snacking way too much. by having a eating window, I shifted my breakfast to 10am, lunch at 1-2pm and dinner by 5:30-6pm (I eat with the kids, though I could push it back to 7 if they were older) and then I just don't need to eat snacks, because what I was doing was breakfast at 5am, snack at 8am, again at 10am and lunch, then snack at 3pm and then dinner at 6, and the weight piled on real fast. by delaying breakfast to a later part of the day, I was able to stop the snacking habit. my meals are large and satisfy, and definitely nutritious. lots of veg and protein. Its just as important to account for them too.

someitmes I do have a after dinner snack with DH, but I don't push back my eating window, I just find it easier to stick to a 10am breakfast. I've lost a good 5 kilos switching to this method.

#65 mayahlb

Posted 11 July 2019 - 10:26 AM

The only time I feel the need for breakfast is when I get up and go for a morning run (after the run, if I ate before I end up either throwing up or with a bad stitch). For me it's not so much about skipping breakfast but not eating until I feel hungry. I naturally don't feel hungry until 10.30/11ish. But I've always been that way. If I eat breakfast I want to eat most of the day and end up feeling bloated. I can't do 5:2 because the 2 fast days that low calories makes me feel ill, but 16:8 basically already fits my eating pattern.  MIL does a version of 16:8 as well, but hers means no dinner, she has breakfast and lunch but nothing after 4pm (breakfast is usually around 8-9). She doesn't include her wine consumption in her diet though and then wonders why she isn't losing weight (she drinks a great deal of wine, easily 1-2 bottles a night).

I will say when we traveled though often we would eat breakfast and just have some sort of snack for lunch and then a larger dinner. Mostly because we were so busy exploring.

#66 born.a.girl

Posted 11 July 2019 - 10:31 AM

View Postmayahlb, on 11 July 2019 - 10:26 AM, said:

The only time I feel the need for breakfast is when I get up and go for a morning run (after the run, if I ate before I end up either throwing up or with a bad stitch). For me it's not so much about skipping breakfast but not eating until I feel hungry. I naturally don't feel hungry until 10.30/11ish. But I've always been that way. If I eat breakfast I want to eat most of the day and end up feeling bloated. I can't do 5:2 because the 2 fast days that low calories makes me feel ill, but 16:8 basically already fits my eating pattern.  MIL does a version of 16:8 as well, but hers means no dinner, she has breakfast and lunch but nothing after 4pm (breakfast is usually around 8-9). She doesn't include her wine consumption in her diet though and then wonders why she isn't losing weight (she drinks a great deal of wine, easily 1-2 bottles a night).

I will say when we traveled though often we would eat breakfast and just have some sort of snack for lunch and then a larger dinner. Mostly because we were so busy exploring.

Sooo many people have said that here in the past, that eating breakfast makes them want to eat more.

I eat like you when away too - the travel is enough of a distraction.  Half of our stays on our recent trip included breakfast, I wasn't going to knock that back, given how much eating out adds up.

ETA: In fact thinking about it, when I ate breakfast overseas, I would actually eat quite a lot of food, to the point of being quite full.  That WOULD actually keep me going and I wouldn't want to be scoffing more food. At home though, if I ate that much I'd stack on weight.  It's the 'sensible' breakfast that leaves me craving more in a couple of hours.

Edited by born.a.girl, 11 July 2019 - 10:39 AM.

#67 Chchgirl

Posted 11 July 2019 - 10:33 AM

I've followed 16:8 since coming across it in a thread here in November. I had about 8 kilos to lose that crept up on me over about 3 years.

I've lost it, kept it off and am happy. I find I also eat too much if I have breakfast and go much better without it. I don't find it hard at all.

I do eat carbs though,  I can't cut them out as I get light headed. Plus I like them and refuse to cut them out. I have to enjoy life a bit!.

I lost 25kg over 2 years from 2013 by exercising a lot and cutting down my portion sizes. (I loosely used Michelle bridges recipes as i liked them). My biggest thing was my portion sizes were just too large.

I've never cut carbs though and eat some chocolate every day. I'm not much of a snacker though so that's not an issue.

I'm 51 and 168cm tall, any weight shows on me straight away!.

What works for one person doesn't always work for others thoug

#68 Lifesgood

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:29 PM

For those who do/have done 16:8, what are your eating times eg. 11-7? 12-8? what works for you?

I have days where I need to eat dinner quite late and I really don't think I could skip dinner, so it would have to be a late brekkie for me.

On the days I work (Wed-Fri) I can't usually eat until 8.30pm or later. That means I wouldn't be able to eat anything until 12.30pm at the earliest. I would struggle big time with that.

#69 Chchgirl

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:39 PM

I usually don't eat lunch till about 12/1pm, but I'm used to that anyway and can't really eat earlier.

#70 Caribou

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:42 PM

Life’sgood, that’s the beauty of 16:8 it’s not exactly strict.  Some nights like you say, you can’t eat until 8:30pm. I still don’t eat breakfast until 10am even if my dinner was at 8. I wouldn’t make it to 12. I still lost weight this way. However I often had a 5pm snack (fruit or coffee) to get me to a late dinner time if I needed it.

#71 mayahlb

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:44 PM

I usually eat around 11-7.

Unlike others I don't include tea or coffee in that fasting time. So I have a coffee and a cup of tea. But I only have a very small amount of milk (2 tablespoons at the most, its a "dash") and 1 sugar in the tea (and I've usually drunk a liter of water by then). Maybe 100 calories at the most before 11. Others do chamomile or peppermint tea but I don't like herbal tea and I need my coffee to function.

ETA: I'm not super strict on the 16:8. If I know it's going to be a late night dinner, well I'm fine with is being more 14:10 that day, as long as the calories are still lower then my daily max.

Edited by mayahlb, 11 July 2019 - 12:47 PM.

#72 Chchgirl

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:49 PM

I have coffee and tea in the morning but i don't have milk as i can't have milk and don't like it.

On the rare occasion i have a cappuccino out (i mean so rare last time i hsd a coffee out was before easter!) I will have soy or almond milk.

#73 born.a.girl

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:01 PM

I have numerous cups of strong tea with milk in the morning, probably two litres worth.  I know that's not strictly 16:8, but the description's close enough for me, given 'not eating breakfast' is what's kept my weight normal most of my life.

The other thing is, if your stomach's used to getting breakfast, it will want breakfast for a while until it gets beaten into submission by not getting it.

This is the third time I've done this now (put on weight after coming back from hols) and each time it's taken about three weeks for my stomach to stop grumbling for food.  I've taught it when to expect it.

I wouldn't worry about doing it religiously.  If you're doing it most days it will help.  A healthy snack when you feel famished on those days might work.

#74 night jasmine

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:06 PM

Ok thanks to this thread I’m going to give 16:8 a try!

I’m not actively trying to lose weight, have always been underweight and now I hover around bmi of 24. But would not mind losing 5kg to get into the ‘ideal’ range for my small frame. 10am-6pm sounds fair enough, as long as I can have hot drinks (with milk) outside of the window.

#75 seayork2002

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:25 PM

I am not intentionally trying to lose weight but to try and eat better, small things I have done (yes probably sound obvious so just saying what I have done not saying anyone else should or should not)

I only eat chocolate/ice cream etc. on weekends
try and eat a little less for dinner (hard as I am a big eater and if I eat to little at dinner I eat biscuits afterwards) but instead of us cooking every single night a massive meal we may have soup and bread
We don't own a car (cardinal sin I know :smile) so do a lot of walking.
I have never been a snacker so don't snack at work just have breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Also not saying again what is healthy or not just what I do personally

Oh I do have chips (crisps as DH calls them) on the weekend but trying not to eat this as much so buy individual small bags and not the massive ones

I only have black coffee (a taste not a health thing though) and a splash of milk in tea

I HATE eating breakfast but feel sick if I don't

Edited by seayork2002, 11 July 2019 - 01:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.