What do I need to change to lose weight?

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#26 Caribou

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:05 PM

In that case, would it be easier to use a recipe that has the calories account for? I don’t measure every single piece of food, but if it says ‘calories per serve’ and you break the meals down equally, it could help with reducing weight loss without having to do labour intensive calorie counting. For example cut breakfast off at 400 calories. Make lunch 400 calories and dinner 400 calories. That’s 1200 right there. Since you work out, I’d add an extra 100-200 calories for one snack or break it down to two snacks.

Otherwise check out serving seizes on the back of packets. I.e 1 serve of nuts is 30 grams and easily over 200 calories. So little things like that without having to track too intensely. Try going with serving sizes in your case.

Btw do feel free to drop in to other thread. It’s not about how much you have to lose really, just the support and motivation to get where your goal is. Some of us have lots to lose, others just a little. :)

Edited by Caribou, 10 July 2019 - 05:06 PM.

#27 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:09 PM

going off your OP, that’s pretty healthy, to me.

i would second BAG’s suggestion and try a 16-8 regime, or something similar....some form of periodic fasting. it really helped me.

#28 born.a.girl

Posted 10 July 2019 - 05:17 PM

View PostCaribou, on 10 July 2019 - 05:05 PM, said:

In that case, would it be easier to use a recipe that has the calories account for? I don’t measure every single piece of food, but if it says ‘calories per serve’ and you break the meals down equally, it could help with reducing weight loss without having to do labour intensive calorie counting. For example cut breakfast off at 400 calories. Make lunch 400 calories and dinner 400 calories. That’s 1200 right there. Since you work out, I’d add an extra 100-200 calories for one snack or break it down to two snacks.

Otherwise check out serving seizes on the back of packets. I.e 1 serve of nuts is 30 grams and easily over 200 calories. So little things like that without having to track too intensely. Try going with serving sizes in your case.

Btw do feel free to drop in to other thread. It’s not about how much you have to lose really, just the support and motivation to get where your goal is. Some of us have lots to lose, others just a little. Posted Image

I have to confess I often feel uncomfortable going into a thread where people are talking significant amounts, and many have already lost significant amounts.  It feels like talking about my 3 - 5 kg is arrogant and dismissive of the vastly different journey.

Truth is though, I spent most of my teenage years very underweight, and have a very poor relationship with food. It doesn't take much for me to stack on a kilo a week, although it never gets to more than ten before I hit 'that' moment, even thought I spend most of my life at the right weight.

Maybe I should start one about poor relationship with food, be that under, normal or overweight folk.

#29 Odd-1-Out

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:22 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 10 July 2019 - 05:17 PM, said:

I have to confess I often feel uncomfortable going into a thread where people are talking significant amounts, and many have already lost significant amounts.  It feels like talking about my 3 - 5 kg is arrogant and dismissive of the vastly different journey.

Truth is though, I spent most of my teenage years very underweight, and have a very poor relationship with food. It doesn't take much for me to stack on a kilo a week, although it never gets to more than ten before I hit 'that' moment, even thought I spend most of my life at the right weight.

Maybe I should start one about poor relationship with food, be that under, normal or overweight folk.

Please come and join us, no weight goal is insignificant 🙂

#30 Lifesgood

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:23 PM

OK I've made a start.

Had chicken and veg soup (made yesterday in a 10 litre pot)  for dinner nice and early this evening. Off to yoga shortly.

Am boiling some eggs to have tomorrow and Friday at work.

Will make a big leafy salad with tuna, tomatoes, capsicum, cucumber, olives and feta when I get home from yoga and take that to work tomorrow for lunch.

Chicken soup again tomorrow night!

#31 kerilyntaryn

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:34 PM

Dont skip breakfast

#32 MissMilla

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:38 PM

It just looks like a lot of food to me in general  and a lot of carbs.
Im early 30s and i really have to watch my calories already. For my mum at her age its a whole different story. If she eats the same as me she will gain like crazy.

I would look at your portion sizes and maybe use an app to track calories to find out how much you actually eat.
Your breakfast is hard to tell, because it depends on the size of the slices.
Lunch seems like a lot. Sushi is quite high in calories, so I would cut that to 1 roll and maybe add a small salad if it doesnt fill you.
For dinner i usually try to avoid carbs altogether. I eat very little carbs in general though, because it makes me gain weight like crazy.

Yesterday I ate:
Breakfast: skip
Lunch: lamb filet with steamed vegetables
Dinner: fish with salad and a boiled egg, glass of wine
Snacks: 1 ice cream, 1 apple, 1 carrot, 1 red bull *hides in shame* and some cashew nuts

This is my normal amount in order to maintain my weight. Sometimes theres a bit more junk, sometimes less.

#33 Anon2018

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:44 PM

I think your food intake is pretty good. I think you need to incorporate weight training though. Too many people, particularly women think that cardio is essential for weight loss but resistance training is much more effective. I would just add in two weight training sessions per week, not more cardio which doesn’t do much.

#34 JomoMum

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:07 PM

View Postkerilyntaryn, on 10 July 2019 - 06:34 PM, said:

Dont skip breakfast

Why??

#35 born.a.girl

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:12 PM

View PostOdd-1-Out, on 10 July 2019 - 06:22 PM, said:

Please come and join us, no weight goal is insignificant

Thankyou, but my problem isn't weight loss as much as it's yoyo weight change of 3 - 5 kilos, which used to be every ten years, then five, then one, now it's twice a year.

I'd feel a bit stupid saying hazzzah goal reached!!! then be back in a few months later.

I also have several major medical issues in my history, which are now minor, but are aggravated by ANY weight gain, so even if I have a normal BMI, I'm better keeping it down.  I'm very lucky to have them cured, but to suggest my health drives me might sound really off to someone with a lot to lose.

I worry that I might inadvertently say something that might be inappropriate for someone with 30kg to lose.

#36 a letter to Elise.

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:15 PM

I think I’d calorie track for a couple of days, and see where you can make reasonable changes that you can stick to without feeling deprived. Your diet isn’t that bad, it’s probably just a matter of adjusting portion sizes.

The first thing I’d change, is to swap the two slices of sourdough for one, and swap the butter for a nut butter. Just as easy, but a bit of protein to help fill you up, and some healthier fats. Save the butter for Saturday’s as a treat.

I lost two kilos in two weeks recently, just from switching from two slices of toast to one, and eating salad or soup for lunch. If I had pasta or rice for dinner, I stuck to half a cup. I’ve fallen off the wagon now, because I’m sick, but am hoping to lose another 5kg.

#37 born.a.girl

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:16 PM

View Postkerilyntaryn, on 10 July 2019 - 06:34 PM, said:

Dont skip breakfast

Yeah, why?

I've never read good justification for this other than it gives you the energy to power your day.

Why then, to I have plenty of energy for exercise in the morning UNLESS I have had a very early, or very light dinner the night before?  Because my energy in the morning comes from what I ate the night before.

If it doesn't work for people, that's cool, don't do it.

I actually eat far more in a day when I do eat breakfast, on TOP of breakfast because my body says 'that's nice, more please' but my muscles are fine without it.

The best 5k run I ever did was at 2pm without having eaten all day (the promise of food would drive me out the door). The worst run I ever had was two hours after eating an egg.  I had to come back at the first corner.

There's a reason why marathon runners have carb loading and protein recovery.

#38 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:17 PM

View PostJomoMum, on 10 July 2019 - 07:07 PM, said:

Why??

yeh....it’s not a universal truth. skipping breakfast is fine for me...it’s when i eat breakfast, i put on weight. i’m simply not hungry at breakfast time (need a coffee, but that’s black no sugar no milk - so it doesn’t count as breaking the fast) ...and i’m following a recommendation to listen to your body and actually *be* hungry when you eat.  not famished, but be hungry, don’t eat because “it’s the time i usually eat”.

#39 a letter to Elise.

View Postborn.a.girl, on 10 July 2019 - 07:12 PM, said:

Thankyou, but my problem isn't weight loss as much as it's yoyo weight change of 3 - 5 kilos, which used to be every ten years, then five, then one, now it's twice a year.

I'd feel a bit stupid saying hazzzah goal reached!!! then be back in a few months later.

I also have several major medical issues in my history, which are now minor, but are aggravated by ANY weight gain, so even if I have a normal BMI, I'm better keeping it down.  I'm very lucky to have them cured, but to suggest my health drives me might sound really off to someone with a lot to lose.

I worry that I might inadvertently say something that might be inappropriate for someone with 30kg to lose.

I am the same. I fluctuate by about 5-7kg at most, but I have health issues that need me to be at the lower end of my bmi range.

#40 ButterflyNow

View PostAnon2018, on 10 July 2019 - 06:44 PM, said:

I think your food intake is pretty good. I think you need to incorporate weight training though. Too many people, particularly women think that cardio is essential for weight loss but resistance training is much more effective. I would just add in two weight training sessions per week, not more cardio which doesn’t do much.
I want to suggest this as well. And once I got into it I discovered I really enjoy it!

#41 Odd-1-Out

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:19 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 10 July 2019 - 07:12 PM, said:

Honestly you are welcome all the same and I don't think anyone would be offended. I reached my goal last week and am starting incorporating exercise next week. I just hung around it never occurred to me to leave lol

#42 JomoMum

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:22 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 10 July 2019 - 07:17 PM, said:

yeh....it’s not a universal truth. skipping breakfast is fine for me...it’s when i eat breakfast, i put on weight. i’m simply not hungry at breakfast time (need a coffee, but that’s black no sugar no milk - so it doesn’t count as breaking the fast) ...and i’m following a recommendation to listen to your body and actually *be* hungry when you eat.  not famished, but be hungry, don’t eat because “it’s the time i usually eat”.

When I eat breakfast, I am hungry again 1-2 hours later. Like haaaangry. When I don’t, I’m fine until late morning.

Not breaking fast until later in the day is the entire premise of hugely successful 16:8 programs.

It’s not about “skipping” breakfast, it’s about not eating until you’re actually hungry. Which is a concept I think we’ve lost entirely in the western world.

#43 born.a.girl

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:24 PM

You might find 16:8 works, you might find 5:2 works (a disaster for me), cutting down, dropping carbs etc.

Overall what matters is that it's sustainable, but of course there are some exceptions for actually ditching the weight.

Right now my first step is ditching eating until lunchtime.  Unfortunately I'm still being a pig, that's the next step.  Today I had my muesli, then I had a small slice of paneforte, then a larger slice, then another larger slice, then asked my husband to hide the bit that was left.   I'm probably eating as much as I was over a whole day.  

Next step is two meals, even if it does include Paneforte with muesli and wine with dinner.

At that point I'm probably eating maintenance calories. Once I'm not feeling deprived at that point, I then cut right back for several weeks (after procrastinating until the cows come home) to get down to my comfortable weight.

I reckon if you took 20 people, you'd find 20 different ways of them successfully managing their weight.

One of them would be the 'diet diet' that only works for 5%, and the other 19 would be something else.

#44 DirtyStreetMincePi

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:24 PM

Hi OP. Over a period of about one year, I lost 20 kilos. I didn't count kilojoules, and I didn't count macros (carbs, protein, fat) either.

All I did was the following: most of the food on my plate is vegetables, whether cooked or raw. I essentially turned my diet upside down; rather than have pasta with vegetables, I have vegetables with pasta, if that makes sense. And I throw some protein in there too, to make it more filling.

I don't go hungry. I hate being hungry!

Between meals, I eat fruit and nuts. And yes, I do often finish my son's leftover snacks, but I'm trying to stop that now, because I'm supposed to be vegan. :p

Good luck OP. :)

#45 born.a.girl

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:30 PM

View PostOdd-1-Out, on 10 July 2019 - 07:19 PM, said:

Honestly you are welcome all the same and I don't think anyone would be offended. I reached my goal last week and am starting incorporating exercise next week. I just hung around it never occurred to me to leave lol

Thankyou.  I don't mean offended by me being there, I mean that it must seem trivial to have to lose a few kilos when you have 30 or more to lose.   I feel it trivialises their journey to suggest what I need to lose is 'a problem'.  It's not the weight, it's the pattern that's the problem, which is a kinda  different issue.

I do always read them, and get ideas.

#46 born.a.girl

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:32 PM

Dirty Street Pie: I LOVE being hungry, that's when I'm best as resisting food.  I know the energy is coming from my hips.

I make a pig of myself when I'm not.

#47 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:40 PM

a dietician i saw recently joked that the only people now who prescribe the “thou shalt eat breakfast” are Sanitarium and the like...they have a vested interest!

#48 born.a.girl

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:46 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 10 July 2019 - 07:40 PM, said:

a dietician i saw recently joked that the only people now who prescribe the “thou shalt eat breakfast” are Sanitarium and the like...they have a vested interest!

Isn't that where it was supposed to have started?  Maybe that's an urban myth.

I've always assumed the idea came from the day when manual workers got up before dawn, particularly farmers, did some work then stopped for a meal.

Meals a couple of hundred years ago would have been a little while in the making, too.  No dashing out of bed, scoffing toast with lashings of butter (I'm with you there, Lifesgood, no point otherwise) then sitting on public transport until you get to your sitting job at work, then a few hours later you eat again.

This is my neighbour's problem - she works such extraordinarily long days, but really finds the attraction of meals a help in mentally resetting herself.  Life for her is hard enough for her with her work, being completely miserable without the (healthy) food she eats would make it harder.  Trouble is you need so much less to eat when you're not moving.    Our brains haven't caught up.

#49 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:55 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 10 July 2019 - 07:46 PM, said:

Isn't that where it was supposed to have started?  Maybe that's an urban myth.

I've always assumed the idea came from the day when manual workers got up before dawn, particularly farmers, did some work then stopped for a meal.

Meals a couple of hundred years ago would have been a little while in the making, too.  No dashing out of bed, scoffing toast with lashings of butter (I'm with you there, Lifesgood, no point otherwise) then sitting on public transport until you get to your sitting job at work, then a few hours later you eat again.

This is my neighbour's problem - she works such extraordinarily long days, but really finds the attraction of meals a help in mentally resetting herself.  Life for her is hard enough for her with her work, being completely miserable without the (healthy) food she eats would make it harder.  Trouble is you need so much less to eat when you're not moving.    Our brains haven't caught up.

yeh i’ve heard that too...i don’t know for sure, but wouldn’t surprise me.

on the manual farmers thing...bit off topic, but with the recent trend of celebrity chefs “celebrating” so called “peasant” rustic food - for good reason, because it’s usually very tasty and healthy, but yeh - labour intensive- anyway, watching Rick Stein’s show going down the Canal de Midi and he stops at Carcassone etc and of course has to cook a cassoulet - so i get all inspired and do it too - toulouse sausage, duck confit ( OP none of this will help any of us lose weight, sorry, very OT) anyway, DH and i took one bite - it was great, fantastic! but we were literally full after one bite. the thing is..it was meant for farmers tilling the soil dawn to dusk...9 hours straight of hard manual labour and that’s all they ate....

Edited by Lucrezia Borgia, 10 July 2019 - 07:56 PM.

#50 born.a.girl

Posted 10 July 2019 - 08:00 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 10 July 2019 - 07:55 PM, said:

yeh i’ve heard that too...i don’t know for sure, but wouldn’t surprise me.

on the manual farmers thing...bit off topic, but with the recent trend of celebrity chefs “celebrating” so called “peasant” rustic food - for good reason, because it’s usually very tasty and healthy, but yeh - labour intensive- anyway, watching Rick Stein’s show going down the Canal de Midi and he stops at Carcassone etc and of course has to cook a cassoulet - so i get all inspired and do it too - toulouse sausage, duck confit ( OP none of this will help any of us lose weight, sorry, very OT) anyway, DH and i took one bite - it was great, fantastic! but we were literally full after one bite. the thing is..it was meant for farmers tilling the soil dawn to dusk...9 hours straight of hard manual labour and that’s all they ate....

You did make me laugh. That's calories burned, right?

Although I do a fair bit of exercise now, cos retired, the only time I notice the difference is on holidays where you are actually moving just about ALL day.   Climbing half an hour to a waterfall is probably equivalent to my daily exercise yet I also spent the rest of the day active.

Even just walking around a large garden for 4 - 5 hours - no major calories burned, but I'm not sitting in front of a chair on the internet, either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.