Costco

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 ~Vanilla Bean~

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:45 AM

Morning All!

Just interested to hear about your thoughts on Costco? We've been recently and bought some things that I know I will use and won't go out of date or I can freeze etc. Do you think it's worth it (buying in bulk) and do you honestly think you save in the long run? Or do you think people just get caught up and bedazzled by it all? To be honest, I think I'm a bit of both! I saw one dude in there buying at least 20 hot roast chooks. I actually lost count after that! He had more than that!!

What's your fave buys there? We like the croissants (can freeze them), washing machine liquid (my preferred brand), chicken breasts and carmens bars. I also bought the 2kg tub of jalna yoghurt. I do feel like these are good buys as we use them and can freeze etc.

#2 magic_marker

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:17 AM

I think 20+ Roast Chickens. The dude most likely has a Business Membership.

Frozen Blueberries.
Patties Party Packs.
These are my favourites.

#3 Laurie03

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:20 AM

The petrol!! Our Costco which is quite local to us has a petrol station and the petrol is always cheaper then the rest.  We have pretty much paid for our membership by now just by saving when we fill up.

#4 71Cath

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:31 AM

toilet paper
tyres
dishwasher tablets
washing powder
paper towel
tissues

And pizza - I love the Costco pizza.

#5 BornToLove

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:33 AM

I agree with the petrol. We go about once a month to get odds and ends but always top up the car on the way home. We save enough to cover the membership over the year (car requires 98 petrol).

A regular shopping trip we usually pick up:
Frozen pizza dough
Chicken fingers
Laundry soap
Cereal
Gold fish crackers
Books
Laundry soap
Mineral water

#6 ainira

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:36 AM

Car tyres and petrol make it worthwhile for us.

#7 WTF*A*Lot

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:38 AM

The guy could have also been buying for an event.

We buy salads, meat, cheese, buffalo wings for DD15 and quite a few other things when we go.

The girls have these really nice warm Sherpa blankets we bought from there as well. When we go, we go near lunchtime and the girls get a hotdog and drink. I think it costs about $5 for the two of them.

#8 Pooks Combusted

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:41 AM

I love Costco and yes we save a lot of money buy buying from there. This is aided by the fact that we already eat a lot of processed food. I go about once a month and buy the same things over and over. I think we save between $100-150 a month by doing this. This is the list I have on my phone:

-school snacks: sesame snaps, tiny teddies, shapes, up & go, Smith’s chips, 2 trays of muffins (that I cut in half and freeze for lunchboxes)
-home snacks: babybel cheeses, sippy straws, Oreos, savoys, Pepsi cans
-lunches at home: 2 minute noodles, tray of croissants and bag of Turkish bread individually frozen, baked beans, ham
-Work lunches for husband: heart & soul soups, chicken korma, spicy beef noodles
- condiments etc: peanut butter, honey, Nutella, nutellex, sliced cheese, grated cheese, salt and pepper grinders, vegeta, tomato paste
-dinners: crumbed chicken & fish, nuggets, jalapeño poppers, onion rings, tortillas/ wraps, mince, pasta sauce, fresh noodles, John west tuna, ainsley cous cous
-toiletries and cleaning: u pads, toothbrushes, kids multis, razors, deodorant, head and shoulders, Kirkland laundry detergent, garbage bags, paper towel
-fresh: eggs, spinach, carrots, oranges

Edited by Pooks Combusted, 09 July 2019 - 10:53 AM.

#9 WTFJerk

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:41 AM

Petrol
the Vornado fan was $60 less than at HN (we dont' have aircon)
the rest I think is rather gimmicky.  DH bought a big bag of blueberries but they aren't Australian.  This is important to me.
The meat is better at the Preston Market

That said, we don't have a very large freezer.  So storing for later is a bit limited.  I also don't tend to buy single serve snack foods because of the packaging, but I know people rely on it for school recess.  DD eats fruit, DS marie biscuits.

Edited by WTFJerk, 09 July 2019 - 10:44 AM.

#10 magic_marker

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:43 AM

The Hot Dog and Drink Deal is $1.99 each. Plus re-fills.
We have been at dinner time and ordered a whole pizza. I think they're $16 each. And then if you buy a bottle of water it 50cents.

#11 ~Vanilla Bean~

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:50 AM

magic_marker, on 09 July 2019 - 10:17 AM, said:

I think 20+ Roast Chickens. The dude most likely has a Business Membership.

I did think he was probably catering for an event or possibly in the restaurant/catering industry. He was going to have to boot his young kids out of the trolley seat to fit more in though lol!

#12 ~Vanilla Bean~

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:54 AM

WTFJerk, on 09 July 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

Petrol
the Vornado fan was $60 less than at HN (we dont' have aircon)
the rest I think is rather gimmicky.  DH bought a big bag of blueberries but they aren't Australian.  This is important to me.
The meat is better at the Preston Market

That said, we don't have a very large freezer.  So storing for later is a bit limited.  I also don't tend to buy single serve snack foods because of the packaging, but I know people rely on it for school recess.  DD eats fruit, DS marie biscuits.

I understand what you mean. I already have lots stored in my freezer (bulk meat from 1/4 cow). We do have space for another freezer, but that will be a purchase later. My kids eat lots of fruit/veg and not so much processed either. I do tend to buy Aussie when/where I can too.

ETA: I'd love to buy the fuel, but we don't live really close to Costco so it would defeat the point of cheap fuel to drive there to get it.

Edited by ~Vanilla Bean~, 09 July 2019 - 10:56 AM.

#13 ........

Posted 09 July 2019 - 10:55 AM

not a member anymore as we certainly did not save money actually spend more on average.

We don't eat that much processed food, and much of the available food at costco belongs to that category.

The fruit and veggie were more expensive that at the local woolie and certainly not  better quality.

Our local one don't have petroil station so no savings to be had there.

#14 overlytired

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:03 AM

Pricing may be different (I'm in Canada), but I have an executive membership (2% cash back yearly) and I mostly-always buy the following at Costco because they are cheaper or because I appreciate being able to buy in larger quantities (family of 6 – 4 at home full time and 2 who are away at Uni but mostly home for the summer):

Milk
Bread
Cereal
Meat (even better value if you buy a loin of something and portion it yourself)
Rice & Flour
Sugar
Toilet paper
Laundry detergent
Dishwasher tablets
Dish soap (for washing dishes by hand on occasion)
Bath soap
Salad
Yoghurt
Mozzarella and cheddar cheese (any other types I buy at the grocery store)
Chips / crisps
Feminine hygiene products
Frozen fruit
Roast chicken (for adding to salads or pot pie)
Windshield washer fluid ($12 for a case of 4x 4L, when it's $5/ea everywhere else. We use LOTS of washer fluid in the winter)

...so, 80% of my groceries

Their clothing is good value for basic, casual, items (t-shirts, shorts, socks). I'm expecting Christmas items to be available in the next week or so :no2:.

Love their sherpa blankets!

#15 Keepitsimplestupid

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:05 AM

I love their baking goods like the 12.5kg of bakers flour, large bag of choc chips, hersheys cocoa powder, maple syrup etc.
Their bulgolgi beef is delicious, and their muffins are great value.

#16 magic_marker

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:11 AM

~Vanilla Bean~, on 09 July 2019 - 10:50 AM, said:

I did think he was probably catering for an event or possibly in the restaurant/catering industry. He was going to have to boot his young kids out of the trolley seat to fit more in though lol!

I've seen other dudes walk out with the entire trolley full of the 60 pack eggs.
And another dude with just canned tomatoes.

#17 Gumbette

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:23 AM

71Cath, on 09 July 2019 - 10:31 AM, said:

tyres

Tyres keep coming up a lot.  Are they branded and how much roughly is the saving?  I currently have Michellin Primacy SUV tyres which are $280 each or are they Costco branded?

#18 BBC

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:26 AM

Beef mince
Eggs
Apples
Muffins
Nuts
Breakfast cereal
Deodorant
Vitamins
Custard
Sharpies
Roast chook
Sushi
Big jars of olives and pickles
Salsa
Choc chips
Brownie mix

Edited by BBC, 09 July 2019 - 12:00 PM.

#19 magic_marker

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:26 AM

Gumbette, on 09 July 2019 - 11:23 AM, said:

Tyres keep coming up a lot.  Are they branded and how much roughly is the saving?  I currently have Michellin Primacy SUV tyres which are $280 each or are they Costco branded?

Michelin and Bridgestone are the ones l'm aware of.
I think they have a deal on the Bridgestone at the moment.
The savings more than cover the cost of the Membership.

ETA Around $80 cheaper and the deal on at the moment is Buy 3 get the 4th Free.
There are other Tyre Companies that offer this deal. Worth shopping around. They fit for free. Balance. If you want an alignment you have to go elsewhere.

Edited by magic_marker, 09 July 2019 - 11:31 AM.

#20 IamOzgirl

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:28 AM

They aren't costco branded - i can't remeber what they were, but they were a noraml tyre brand, and it was the cheapest we had seen them. (i ended up not getting them - sucked in eDP - because exDP keep the car that needed them. and no longer has access to costco!)

#21 magic_marker

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:44 AM

https://www.costco.com.au/tyre-centre

Just found this.

#22 *Spikey*

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:46 AM

DH shops at costco for things that can be safely stored when bought in bulk.

We have saved significant money from doing this - DH tracked expenses for the first year as he wasn't quite convinced it was worthwhile. Turns out we should have been doing that years ago.

#23 magic_marker

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:49 AM

Keepitsimplestupid, on 09 July 2019 - 11:05 AM, said:

I love their baking goods like the 12.5kg of bakers flour, large bag of choc chips, hersheys cocoa powder, maple syrup etc.
Their bulgolgi beef is delicious, and their muffins are great value.

Questions on the Bakers Flour.
Do you have to add rising agent to it?
Or is it already in it like the SR Flour?
And if you remember how much it is?
I make a LOT of home made pancakes :)

#24 blackcat20

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:51 AM

We're buying less there than we used to, mostly because they stopped stocking things we bought (Cat litter) or the price wasnt competitive. But we still buy quite a few things that can be stored long term (washing powder etc) and basics like eggs, cheeses, meat (we really liked the pork packs), and wine.

#25 BornToLove

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:56 AM

I got my last pair of glasses there. Really, I just happened to find frames I liked, but the total cost was good value.

Anyways, Costco is worth checking out for glasses as they have some branded and unique frames that my optician doesn’t carry. Quality of the lenses was comparable as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.