Introducing new cat

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#51 lozoodle

Posted 18 July 2019 - 11:14 AM

haha i doubt they'll ever snooze away. But they seem to have the agreement that if Milo gets too close, Suki will give her a little growl / hiss and Milo backs away slightly and that's that.

Basically its a "go away annoying young thing, i am sleeping and happy and you're interrupting" type hiss. But hey, a co-existing peaceful existence is fine by me.

#52 lozoodle

Posted 25 July 2019 - 08:14 PM

Ugh I don't know whats going on. New cat is chasing her down and attacking, she's mega food obsessed to the point that if my older cat is having a drink of water she'll attack her as she thinks she's eating (I don't feed them together).

I try to keep them apart but new cat just throws herself at the door over and over until it opens. My poor old girl is so miserable and scared, she wont come back during the day anymore and I have to coax her out from under the car in the driveway. New cat wants to be the alpha cat and basically chases old cat down until she's out the door. I feel like she's starting to think if she keeps this up, she'll disappear or something, and I'm worried if she does keep it up, my poor anxious old girl really will disappear.

I've got feliway plugged in, I'm trying to do all the right things that they say you should do, but it seems to just be getting worse every day. My beautiful old girl seems to hate me now and wont let me touch her and she used to follow me around everywhere and never leave my side. She's lost over half a kilo and it worries me as she was only 3.8kg to start with.

I just wanted to do a nice thing for a poor cat without a home and now I feel like an absolute jerk who has ruined everything.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can make this better?

#53 *Spikey*

Posted 25 July 2019 - 08:43 PM

Give older cat the sanctuary of your bedroom - lock the younger one out.  That way, you can still have sleepy cuddle time with your older girl, and she will be safe indoors.

And patience. And a squirt gun....

#54 lozoodle

Posted 25 July 2019 - 09:34 PM

Ok I will try to coax her in. She just hisses at me now which breaks my heart :(

I'm so sad tonight :(

#55 darcswan

Posted 25 July 2019 - 09:54 PM

View Postlozoodle, on 25 July 2019 - 09:34 PM, said:

Ok I will try to coax her in. She just hisses at me now which breaks my heart :(

I'm so sad tonight :(

Oh Loz :(

I don't know if you've watched the Jackson Galaxy series on introducing cats, but its worth your time.
https://www.youtube....h?v=gZrwcoiy_gY
https://www.jacksong...troducing-cats/

It's never too late to go back to the beginning - in fact Jackson recommends it if your cats get stressed.

Long story of my experience -

I had a 18m old cat and bought in a 6m old kitten. The breeder said 'they'll be fine!' but the older boy showed signs of stress straight away (the little guy had come from a house of cats and was happy as larry to have a friend).

I kept them separated in my open plan home using a sheet of gyprock. I did the scent swapping with a towel, and territory swapping moving them between different zones. I fed them against the barrier to build positive association.

The little guy (who is smart as a whip) figured out how to thwart the barrier pretty quickly, adding to my stress.  Seeing my older boy hiss for the first time broke my heart.

After a long week (where I cried) we started the face to face introduction process.  There was wrestling and a struggle for hierarchy.

In this stage I used distraction a lot. Throwing toys, or calling one over was my saviour when it got rough. And always giving the older boy space with me when he needed it. And more tears from me about ruining their lives.

It has worked out ok. The older boy is top cat for now just through his size (but the young has the more dominant personality). He gets the cranks with little guy, but just stalks off to somewhere high out of reach when he's had enough.

I think your priority right now should be on your older cat. Make sure she has a truly safe basecamp in the house to eat and escape and let her be near you without any pressure.

Its worth watching to see if there are any 'hot zones' in your house, where the drama happens. Its good to give the cats options to avoid each other, through tunnels or levels. We noticed our big boy became a 'tree dweller' and uses the cat towers to watch down over the little guy.

Good luck <3

Edited by darcswan, 25 July 2019 - 09:59 PM.

#56 lozoodle

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:08 PM

Yeah I have watched his videos, they are really great aren't they!

As for hot zones, it always seems to be right near the front door, and I don't know whether its because she's realised that's where the older girl will go out and she's trying to chase her out?

I don't know? I'm trying so hard to make her my priority but she gets so cranky. SHe's asleep on my daughter's bed now but I'll totally sneak her into my room when I go to bed :)

#57 limakilo

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:26 PM

Could the younger one have worms if they are always hungry and trying to dominate the food?

#58 lozoodle

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:37 PM

View Postlimakilo, on 25 July 2019 - 10:26 PM, said:

Could the younger one have worms if they are always hungry and trying to dominate the food?

She's been wormed just three weeks ago and has been inside since, she got cleared by the RSPCA before we brought her home.

I think its just from being a stray I guess, she's always had to fight for food. She's definitely put on weight since being here and she has only had allocated meal times. I guess she spent so long fending for herself. She's got a definite saggy mummy tum too so no doubt she's had kittens (records say she was desexed on 20 June and no one knows her story before being surrendered in may). Maybe she's just frantic about all this stuff going on? She's also obsessed with dishwashing sponges and keeps stealing them. Does my head in haha

#59 limakilo

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:41 PM

I have a fat cat that will eat any food an hassle my skinny cat, so we have to feed the fat cat a little, but feed the skinny cat on a ledge where the fat cat can't reach. She's a bully but he gets her back.

#60 lozoodle

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:50 PM

I ended up leaving them in the house together today, I figured they needed some time together (house is big enough, plenty of places to hide). I got home and nervously looked around. New cat asleep on lounge in sun, old cat asleep on my bed, also in sun (her favourite daytime spot). Both happy.

I went in and hung out with old cat for a bit and new cat carefully walked in and cautiously jumped up on the bed. Old cat hissed and grumbled... new cat sat down about 50 cm away from her and old cat went meh and went back to sleep. I call that a little bit of progress.

Not really sure what went down today, perhaps old cat gave her a bit of a smack down but both seem fairly content today and new cat seems to have re-learnt some boundaries.

I've realised that her crazy charges are always when she thinks there is food involved, so I am doing my best to keep them totally separate any time there is anything like that happening, and that has helped tonight.

Baby steps. We'll get there :)

#61 kadoodle

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:40 PM

That’s an awesome update, I’m so happy for you and your kitties.

#62 lozoodle

Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:21 PM

They're acting completely stoned tonight, wonder what they've been doing? ha!

#63 bubskitkat

Posted 27 July 2019 - 02:09 AM

View Postlozoodle, on 26 July 2019 - 10:21 PM, said:

They're acting completely stoned tonight, wonder what they've been doing? ha!

Sounds like they have been on the cat nip......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.