Decluttering in the school holidays

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 IShallWearMidnight

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:29 PM

View PostRomeo Void, on 07 July 2019 - 02:01 PM, said:

I've had great success when my children were younger with saying 'is there anything you might want to give away so another child can have them to play with'. When slightly older this worked...' is there anything you'd would be ok to sell and you can have the money to buy something new'. The turn around at the idea of scoring a little cash was crazy...if the floor wasn't nailed down they would have offered to sell the floorboards :rofl:

(I didn't sell it, I just gave it to charity and gave the children a random amount of money..like $32.15)

That's brilliant.

#27 seayork2002

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:42 PM

My system is I go to work and DH takes time off to do it, I am a massive hoarder, he got rid of a heap of stuff late last year DS and I can't think of anything we have missed.

#28 Holidayromp

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:37 PM

It’s something best done with child(ren) not around.

They love hanging on to crap and it makes a crappy job even harder.

#29 spr_maiden

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:18 PM

When they were smaller,  I would do without them around. Now they're school aged they help me , tho sometimes I'll do mini declutter on my own.

If worth selling,  they get to keep the money. DD did well this past year- got a few hundred out of it lol. Kerbside collection time is good too.

I find doing their clothes and papers constantly makes it a smaller task.
The rule is basically choose what you love to fit in the space.
It's much easier these days now they've done it with me several times. Though do get surprised by some of the "treasures" they insist on keeping.

#30 Little Bean

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:25 PM

How many toys/how much toy space do everyone’s kids have?
I keep attempting to clean out my kids’ toy room but they basically won’t part with anything. They’re 4 and 7, share a tiny room which just has beds, books and a few Knick-knacks. Their toy room however has two 25-cube storage shelves and we still have more toys than what can fit on there. They do seem to use a lot of it and they are both into very different things so there’s not much crossover but I still feel like this is probably excessive even without toys in their room. I also think maybe our system just isn’t that good as there are lots of things that don’t fit well in the cubes so space is wasted. But I’m sick of cleaning up their crap. I need guidance. And probably a tip skip.

#31 EmmDasher

Posted 12 July 2019 - 10:35 PM

We have two girls, 3 & 5. They have 2 x lowline trofast units in a shared play space. There is a couple of baskets of craft stuff also and in their rooms they each have a small basket of cuddlies. The eldest has a dollhouse and some LEGO in her room which is ‘precious’. The youngest has a box of random stones & crap in her room which is also ‘precious’.

#32 Pocket...

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:02 AM

I have 4 and 7 year olds. In each of their rooms they have IKEA cubes, one for dress ups, one for their random stuff. Each has Lego in there and a couple of bits.

Play room we have one 25 cube IKEA unit. Two rows are my and DP's books and family board games.
One row is kids books.
Once row is for assorted toys, fairy door garden, teddies, not in boxes.
The final row has the drawer cubes which contain sets, train track, dolls, cars etc.
Plus they have a kitchen and a couple of large character head quarters etc.

We're also have a small amount of painting, drawing, craft, playdough stuff.

I'm trying to get rid of much of this. Not so much the sets but the random stuff.

All the stuff gets used. Often at the same time,  creating complex stories that last until I find toast crusts amongst the toys and I can't take it any more.

View PostLittle Bean, on 12 July 2019 - 10:25 PM, said:

How many toys/how much toy space do everyone’s kids have?
I keep attempting to clean out my kids’ toy room but they basically won’t part with anything. They’re 4 and 7, share a tiny room which just has beds, books and a few Knick-knacks. Their toy room however has two 25-cube storage shelves and we still have more toys than what can fit on there. They do seem to use a lot of it and they are both into very different things so there’s not much crossover but I still feel like this is probably excessive even without toys in their room. I also think maybe our system just isn’t that good as there are lots of things that don’t fit well in the cubes so space is wasted. But I’m sick of cleaning up their crap. I need guidance. And probably a tip skip.

#33 Little Bean

Posted 13 July 2019 - 10:14 AM

Thanks, based on these responses I feel like we do have too much. I did a rough inventory last night and I think I need a simpler system as I have things sorted into quite specific categories but the kids play with bits and pieces of everything that they then can’t sort back so it all just ends up on the floor. We also have lots of things that are the same type of toy, like DD has a million different small dolls and figurines, which she does play with but also certainly doesn’t need that many so I could cut down on the number of them.

#34 Jenflea

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:16 AM

I bought white plastic wicker look boxes with lids from target.

I have 6 I think.

Vehicles
Lego
Ponies
Misc
Shopkins
Dinosaurs.

She can ONLY keep what fits in those boxes.

larger stuff goes in under bed storage(dress ups, Barbies and furniture etc).

#35 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 14 July 2019 - 11:23 AM

I had planned to declutter my house while on maternity leave with baby number 3
:rofl:  :rofl:
Gees Im forgetful..

Anyway Ill be following this thread.

We have the plastic boxes too.

Board games are our current storage issue, how to make them accessible if the kids want to get out and play for a few minutes without making a huge mess. keen to see if anyone has any solutions for that.

Edited by WannabeMasterchef, 14 July 2019 - 11:24 AM.

#36 spr_maiden

Posted 14 July 2019 - 12:15 PM

There's 3 shelves in their bedroom cupboard - 1 for board games, 1 for puzzles, 1 for boxed sets like detective sets,  or science kits, remote controlled stuff etc. Also in the cupboard is a bookshelf. Up on the top out of reach cupboard shelf are their memories boxes.

There's 2 x 2x2 cube shelves. These are not really packed full tbh. One shelf has 2 wooden crates, 1 Lego head and marble track paraphernalia bag. Other has 2 lidded containers and shelf space for sylvanian families cars and other space for whatever is there. In the room is also a small desk with craft items,  and an easel. They have space on top of the shelves to place built Lego creations and sylvanian treehouse.
That's it.
It sounds like a lot but I do notice my two have a lot less compared to other families we know. Kids stuff is sooo cute,  it's easy to buy a lot of it.

Eta: I forgot the dress ups box in the bottom of the cupboard and the bags of stuffed toys!

Edited by spr_maiden, 14 July 2019 - 12:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.