Ezekiel / Zeke

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Ollie83

Posted 03 July 2019 - 02:20 PM

I know it’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, that’s fine. DH has come to the table with something that’s not from the 1980’s top 10’s.

He’s really keen on Ezekiel and using Zeke as a everyday name.

It’s a name I really like but I’m not sure if I could use it. What I love is that isn’t too popular, it’s easy to say and spell etc. sits with our names well.

What I’m not sure about is the rhyming potentials for teasing geek, weak, meek .... in saying that though I’m well aware it can happen with any name, it’s just seems to be placing a target on him using that name?

For context we are also christians who attend church weekly, but it’s not the reason for choosing this name, it just came up randomly.

What’s the general consensus here, what do you think of it? Please give a reason as opposed to yuck I hate it, lol.

Edited by Ollie83, 03 July 2019 - 03:21 PM.

#2 Caribou

Posted 03 July 2019 - 02:56 PM

I know an Ezekiel. He’s sweet and confident. He carries his name well. As far as I am aware no one teases him about it.

However we are at a Christian school so it’s all expected there.

Personally I think it’s a stretch to think he’d be teased for those. You sound like a fantastic parent, who’s going to instil a lot of confidence in your child so he’s not going to face challenges with his name.

#3 EmmDasher

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:04 PM

Haha, I don’t really think of it as being 80’s... that’s Daniel, Joshua & Michael surely 😂 I think it’s pretty modern and we know a few in the under 10 bracket. I like it and I like the spunkiness of Zeke. I agree that the teasing potential is a stretch.

Oh I forgot Daniel, Michael & Joshua’s mates, Christopher, Mark, David, Matthew, Jason & Andrew. Pretty sure that those names covered off about 80% of the boys in my 80’s born cohort.

Edited by EmmDasher, 03 July 2019 - 03:07 PM.

#4 Ollie83

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:25 PM

View PostEmmDasher, on 03 July 2019 - 03:04 PM, said:

Haha, I don’t really think of it as being 80’s... that’s Daniel, Joshua & Michael surely I think it’s pretty modern and we know a few in the under 10 bracket. I like it and I like the spunkiness of Zeke. I agree that the teasing potential is a stretch.

Oh I forgot Daniel, Michael & Joshua’s mates, Christopher, Mark, David, Matthew, Jason & Andrew. Pretty sure that those names covered off about 80% of the boys in my 80’s born cohort.

Opps that was a typo I meant not from the 80’s he was keen on Trent, Adrian and James (I don’t mind James will probably a middle name).

You’ve just named 3/4’s of our families, they’re great names and I do like them. My ultimate boys name name would be Samuel but DH won’t come to the party and it’s my cousins name.

#5 Ollie83

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:31 PM

View PostCaribou, on 03 July 2019 - 02:56 PM, said:

I know an Ezekiel. He’s sweet and confident. He carries his name well. As far as I am aware no one teases him about it.

However we are at a Christian school so it’s all expected there.

Personally I think it’s a stretch to think he’d be teased for those. You sound like a fantastic parent, who’s going to instil a lot of confidence in your child so he’s not going to face challenges with his name.

Thank you, very kind of you. I really hope we can raise a strong, resilient and kind family.

#6 BusbyWilkes

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:35 PM

I have always loved it - both the full name and shortened version. Couldn't get my partner to agree though!

#7 Gudrun

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:51 PM

It's certainly my cup of tea.  No need to just go looking for trouble where it isn't.

Go for it!

#8 somila

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:59 PM

Not my sort of name, but a perfectly good one!
And a decent abbreviated version as well.
I wouldn't worry about the rhyming thing.

#9 majirlo

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:59 PM

Love it! I think it's a cool name.

#10 JomoMum

Posted 03 July 2019 - 04:11 PM

No from me. Why? It doesn’t roll off the tongue nicely, and is a very harsh sounding word with the Z and K together. When I say it, I kind of pull a face to emphasize the eeeek part.

But if know it won’t be everybody’s cup of tea, it shouldnt bother you :) and I think the name would certainly be at home in the Christian community.

Edited by JomoMum, 03 July 2019 - 07:12 PM.

#11 Jane Jetson

Posted 03 July 2019 - 04:45 PM

Love it. Always did. Sadly DH did not. We had girls anyway.

I figure almost everyone's name will rhyme with something that can be used to annoy them - if their first name doesn't, their surname will. Not something that really needs to be worried about, I don't think.

#12 BBC

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:10 PM

I love it.
I'd do EZ (easy) for a nickname if I could get away with it.

#13 onetrick

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:22 PM

I love it :) I know a couple of Zeke's and havent heard anyone tease them for their name/ with rhymes.

#14 kerilyntaryn

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:11 PM

great name love it

#15 literally nobody

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:26 PM

why not just Zeke

#16 little lion

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:34 PM

I don’t think the rhyming words are a problem. My name rhymes with some unflattering descriptors but hardly anyone picks up on them.

To me, Ezekiel sounds biblical but I am not Christian so don’t know if that’s a good or bad character in the Bible. It is a fine name.

#17 Ollie83

Posted 03 July 2019 - 09:46 PM

View Postlittle lion, on 03 July 2019 - 08:34 PM, said:

I don’t think the rhyming words are a problem. My name rhymes with some unflattering descriptors but hardly anyone picks up on them.

To me, Ezekiel sounds biblical but I am not Christian so don’t know if that’s a good or bad character in the Bible. It is a fine name.

Thanks, it’s definitely biblical, meaning strengthened by God (or to the effect). We steered away from biblical names for our daughter but we are struggling to find a boys name that makes our heart sing. We came across this yesterday twice and DH was quite smitten by it.

#18 RichardParker

Posted 03 July 2019 - 09:50 PM

Love it. I had a book when I was a kid called, “Zeke the Caterpillar” whose role in life was to be beautiful as a butterfly. I always think of that when I hear the name Ezekiel or Zeke.

#19 Lou-bags

Posted 03 July 2019 - 09:57 PM

I like it, though it’s not my style so wouldn’t use it personally.

There was the most delightful, beautiful friendly little Ezekiel in my DS1’s kindy class last year which has left me with warm feelings for the name. He had the most beautiful family too.

Gosh I wish we hadn’t had to move schools, that little Zeke (he was called Ezekiel, Zeke, Zee, Ezzy) was one of a lovely bunch of kids!

#20 teddytbumpandme

Posted 04 July 2019 - 09:41 AM

I like it and it's on my list.
I wouldn't worry about the potential teasing, some kids will find a way regardless of if there's rhyming words or not.
Definitely use it if both you and DH have finally agreed on something!

#21 MessyJ

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:21 AM

It's my top name choice for a boy at the moment! I would just go with Zeke though, I'm Christian too and I do like Ezekiel, but in general I'm just not a fan of Bible names (they're very over done in my church community) and I like Zeke on it's own.

I think of all the rhyming/teasing options, ones like geek are fine and I can't see it being an issue!

I just need to get DH on board now, he didn't veto it right away so I think I'm in with a chance!

#22 Imaginary friend

Posted 06 July 2019 - 07:12 PM

Ezekiel too cumbersome for me - I prefer Zeke on its own.

Rhyming with things doesn't matter - I would say every single syllable name rhymes with other  things.

Some examples of commonly used ones: Jake, Lee, Luke, Kate, Jade, Joel, Claire,Rose, Grace.

All rhyme with other words, doesn't stop people using them or cause any problems.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.