Fake Nails for a 12 year old

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 samandimmysmum

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:40 PM

Hi,

My daughter is turning 12 this Friday.   She has asked for her nails to be done ie fake (french tip or similar).   We do have another present for her but wanted to also give her a voucher that we can do together another time (just her and me).  She previously wanted her ears pierced and in the last six months or so has let them close over.  She now wants her ears pierced again as she regretted doing that.

I expressed my concern about having fake nails at such a young age and how they can get ruined.  She said she would get the ones from kmart then.

What is everyone's thoughts - should I let her get them done - would you let your daughter?

Thanks

#2 Mishu

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:45 PM

I only have a son but I think I would prefer a manicure rather than fake nails at her age. They do ruin your nails but a nice manicure (french nail polish perhaps) would be ok at her age.

#3 seayork2002

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:49 PM

If I had a child who was adamant they wanted this I would take them to a professional but I am also wary of the health conditions of those nail places.

#4 hills mum bec

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:51 PM

No, not at that age.  They really ruin your nails and need to be redone every few weeks.  Take her for a manicure instead.

#5 Mishu

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:51 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 03 July 2019 - 01:49 PM, said:

If I had a child who was adamant they wanted this I would take them to a professional but I am also wary of the health conditions of those nail places.

Good point, I had a pedicure on a whim a couple of years ago and ended up with a fungal infection in both my big toe nails. The pedicure was the only thing that I had done differently that could have caused it - it took a good 18 months to treat and grow out. I picked a cheap salon (I was literally walking past and thought- why not?) and regretted it.

#6 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:53 PM

I have had acrylic nails, for about 4 years, but stopped once I lost my job etc.
First off acrylic nails start regrowing out after 2 weeks so you have to have them backfilled. So they require expensive maintenance. My was $65 to set up and $35 every 2 to 3 weeks to maintain. To get rid of them you soak in acetone and they basically clip your nails ultra short after peeling off the acrylic. Is this something you want to commit to?
Otherwise the stick on nails at Priceline etc just either use a double sided tape or a glue to put on, don't damage the nail much and can easily be taken off by yourself.
Final alternative is just to give her a manicure at a salon where they trim, buffer and shape her nails and do a french nail polish. Easily removed at home with nail polish remover.
I would also check her school's policy on nails, length and colour and also if she does any sport.

#7 Apple14

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:54 PM

I wouldn’t. They really do ruin your nails.
Like others suggested, go and get a manicure done together, but forget the fakies.

#8 Daffy2016

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:59 PM

Either a manicure or let her use the fakes from Kmart - I don’t think they’d last long.

#9 .Jerry.

Posted 03 July 2019 - 02:43 PM

DD is a nail biter, and has very little nail.  However, when she was 12 she did go and get french tips done on her real nails (small though they were).  They looked nice and were very tasteful.  They helped her stop biting her nails for a while.

I wouldn't go long fake nails ,but a nice manicure might be ok.

#10 Reading_Mum

Posted 03 July 2019 - 02:47 PM

Oh please don't! This is coming from someone who actually has on sns nails. She can still get a lovely manicure with polish at most nail salons, with some nail art or gems and glitter. They'll file and shape her nails, and then paint.   Don't ruin her nails at such a young age, and the upkeep is quite expensive unless you go to a cheap salon (which you definitely don't want to do!)

#11 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 03 July 2019 - 02:53 PM

I have always had Ok, if slightly soft, nails, and decided to get SNS for a special occasion.  I replaced it once, so in all, had it for about 2 1/2 months.  And they looked wonderful!  

However it has taken me nearly 6 months to grow out the damage.  They have been soft and peeling as soon as any white part grows beyond the nail bed, and one split down the middle.

DD - 15 - has decided to never get it done, after seeing how long it took to recover.  So in short - my recommendation is a big no.

Manicure and professional polish?  Definitely.  And I get shellac on my toes throughout summer.  But I won't ever be doing fingernails again, or encouraging DD to do it either.

Also - I go to a nail salon where you purchase your own stuff and they keep it in a labeled box, so you don't have to 'share'.

#12 Gonzy

Posted 03 July 2019 - 02:59 PM

Let her get the ones from Kmart.

She will rapidly see how annoying they are, how you have to carry glue around in your pocket to self repair every time you touch something, how undoing a fly or a button guarantees the loss of half, or all of a nail, how embarrassing it is to only have 3 left on one hand but have left a trail of fake ones behind you.

Then see how she feels ;)

#13 Cocoa Trufflespice

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:01 PM

As a once off Birthday treat I’d have no issue with some fake nails. So long as they are not overly long and trashy looking.
As someone who has naturally very week nails that never grow unless I’m pregnant, getting shellac done every 2-3 weeks keeps my nails looking nice and I don’t seem to get sore cuticles either when they are done.

#14 EsmeLennox

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:16 PM

Meh...I’d let her get it done. I’d go for something not too long, because they are just a PITA.

It doesn’t ruin your nails forever.

I had shellac done once and hated them. After having them removed, which definitely impacted my nails, I got a French polish while my nails improved. They’re back to normal now.

I don’t understand the ‘ruins your nails’ comment. It’s like a bad haircut...it grows out.

#15 Nobodyelse

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:24 PM

View PostEsmeLennox, on 03 July 2019 - 03:16 PM, said:

Meh...I’d let her get it done. I’d go for something not too long, because they are just a PITA.

It doesn’t ruin your nails forever.

I had shellac done once and hated them. After having them removed, which definitely impacted my nails, I got a French polish while my nails improved. They’re back to normal now.

I don’t understand the ‘ruins your nails’ comment. It’s like a bad haircut...it grows out.

Except unlike hair, people actually use their nails. I had SNS done for about 6 months before I took a break. My nails were so thin and brittle that they broke and split- sometimes quit low down, exposing the nail bed and was a bit painful.

Shellac is the least impact on your nails and isn't comparable to acrylic, gel or sns that actually require to be filed on the top to be removed which takes layers off your actual nails and causes the damage.

I wouldn't be allowing it at 12yo.

#16 EsmeLennox

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:27 PM

Oh maybe mine were acrylic then...because they definitely required filing for putting them on and removal.

I’d still let her get it done...I doubt at 12 that parents will be forking out for ongoing manicures. And maybe it’ll be a good lesson about the ‘price of beauty’.

#17 Hollycoddle

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:27 PM

View PostDaffy2016, on 03 July 2019 - 01:59 PM, said:

Either a manicure or let her use the fakes from Kmart - I don’t think they’d last long.

I wouldn't use DIY ones.  I remember some episodes as a teen involving the nails tearing off, painfully bringing most of my own nail with them :(

ETA that's the ones with the glue.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 03 July 2019 - 03:28 PM.

#18 Sentient Puddle

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:30 PM

Hell would freeze over before I allowed my 12 year old to have those types of nails.  Take her for a manicure instead.

#19 Ollie83

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:38 PM

View PostMishu, on 03 July 2019 - 01:45 PM, said:

I only have a son but I think I would prefer a manicure rather than fake nails at her age. They do ruin your nails but a nice manicure (french nail polish perhaps) would be ok at her age.

I think this sounds like a very sensible plan, I was going to suggest this too.

#20 jojonbeanie

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:38 PM

I have SNS on my nails. It doesn't do too much damage to mine as I have freakishly strong nails. Your 12 year old will probably have quite fine, thin nails. SNS, acrylic or shellac will really have a negative impact on thin nails. It would be a shame to have to spend months growing out the damage.

#21 Octopodes

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:43 PM

At 12yo it would be a firm no. I am anti all things beauty related. Make up, fake nails, hair dying, shaving etc would all be actively discouraged for as long as possible if I had a daughter.

#22 BeAwesome

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:50 PM

I'm reasonably relaxed about these types of things, but that would be a no for me, my nails were never the same after acrylics.

ETA:  I think taking her out for a regular manicure would be lovely.

Edited by BeAwesome, 03 July 2019 - 03:51 PM.

#23 Ivy Ivy

Posted 03 July 2019 - 04:00 PM

I can't stand the sloppy hygiene practices at those saloons, and even at small beauticians.  All the metal files and nail equipment just gets placed into the same container of room-temperature fluid.  Nothing is sterilised properly.  It's a veritable buffet for bacteria, fungi and viruses.  If you let her go, please take her own personal files and clippers etc.

Hands have so much bacteria on them, as do nails, over and under the nails, that I'd be reluctant to have a little girl have fake nails.  They won't get cleaned properly day to day.

The glue smell and chemicals at nail saloons cause brain damage in animal studies.  Those women wearing face masks are probably still inhaling the chemicals.

Plus (and maybe this should go in the 'unpopular opinion' vent recently) I think fake nails look trashy.  She's probably into social media and advertising portrayals of female beauty, so point out to her that every supermodel and high-quality fashion model has short, clean, clearly lacquered fingernails in every magazine shot, and these look very pretty.

I used to paint my toenails years ago, and I got a fungal infection in the big toenail.  Nothing but daily sunlight, salt water, fresh air (bare feet outside at the beach, I lived on the beach then) and NO nailpolish for 6-8 months, cured it.  Since, I haven't painted my nails.  I suspect sunlight straight onto the nail bed helped.

#24 Soontobegran

Posted 03 July 2019 - 04:16 PM

Nope.

I have no problems with a manicure occasionally but no fakes at 12.

#25 Froyohoho

Posted 03 July 2019 - 04:18 PM

A manicure yes, fake nails no.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.