Plastic Free July

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#1 (feral)epg

Posted 03 July 2019 - 12:02 PM

Anyone else trying this?  The idea is that for 1 or 2 or 4 weeks of July you make a commitment to reducing or eliminating your single use plastics.

This is my third year.  First year was just 2 weeks and a BIG learning curve.  This year I'm aiming for a full 4 weeks of zero single use plastic purchases.

I'm also posting a helpful tip and my progress on facebook each day to try to convert a few others.

#2 Mose

Posted 03 July 2019 - 12:18 PM

Well, I am more tempted by this than I am by dry July, that's for sure.  And wine comes in glass bottles....

#3 Catzilla

Posted 03 July 2019 - 12:26 PM

I’ll give it a go. I’ve already buggered up this week, so might just try for 1 or 2 weeks this year.

#4 (feral)epg

Posted 03 July 2019 - 12:40 PM

View PostCatzilla, on 03 July 2019 - 12:26 PM, said:

I’ll give it a go. I’ve already buggered up this week, so might just try for 1 or 2 weeks this year.

It's fine to not be perfect.  I really use it as a way of experimenting with what can and can't be realistically achieved.

#5 seayork2002

Posted 03 July 2019 - 12:55 PM

I have been using reusable bags for over 10 years or so but I can't say 100% of the time but since they have been out of the supermarkets probably most of the time in the last year

I forget and get some in places like Target, Myers, chicken shop etc. but am trying

#6 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 03 July 2019 - 01:20 PM

Hadn't heard of it and given we going away for a week, nope won't be doing it, too hard and honestly I don't want the extra effort while away. It's a holiday, time to relax.

#7 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 03 July 2019 - 02:01 PM

I’ll give it a go..we’ve reduced heaps of plastic use through phasing out of plastic shopping bags and trying to cook more stuff from scratch.

#8 Ozquoll

Posted 03 July 2019 - 02:10 PM

I’m all for reducing single-use plastics, but this is an issue where the retailers need to step up, because it is nearly impossible to obtain even the basic stuff of life without it being swaddled in plastic. I have huge admiration for those people who manage to go entirely plastic free, but even they would admit it is a time-consuming business.

EDIT - big retailers are a huge cause of the problem in the first place. Many decades ago, wanting to save on staffing costs, they standardised portions, wrapped everything in plastic and got the shoppers to collect their goods themselves. Prior to that they needed to employ more staff to assist customers and weigh out bulk products. Now, of course, they even get us to scan our groceries ourselves! It’s not a huge exaggeration to say that much of the single-use plastic problem is caused by large retailers wanting lower staffing costs and bigger profits. Don’t even get me started on the supermarkets’ “We’re phasing out shopping bags because we want to save the environment” schtick 😡. Plastic shopping bags were a rounding error of the total amount of plastic coming out of supermarkets each day. Grrrrrr.

Edited by Ozquoll, 03 July 2019 - 02:24 PM.

#9 archyandmehitabel

Posted 03 July 2019 - 02:43 PM

View PostOzquoll, on 03 July 2019 - 02:10 PM, said:

I’m all for reducing single-use plastics, but this is an issue where the retailers need to step up, because it is nearly impossible to obtain even the basic stuff of life without it being swaddled in plastic. I have huge admiration for those people who manage to go entirely plastic free, but even they would admit it is a time-consuming business.

And often more expensive too. In our house we can afford to spend a bit on bulk places but for those on a tight budget it's much much harder.

For example, we buy laundry soaker and dishwasher detergent at a place we take our own containers to, but it does cost more than at a supermarket - anything up to $3 - $4.

We buy toilet paper and tissues through Who Gives a Crap, which is cheaper than the brand we usd to buy, but I dont know whether it is cheaper than the really cheap brands. Also you have to have the $30 odd availablel to buy in bulk once every few months (which gives free delivery), and if you are living week to week you can't do that.

On the plus side, I asked our local butcher if he'd allow us to bring our own containers and he does. That's been win-win because he's much cheaper than butchers in a big shopping centre. Asian veg places seem to have a lot of unwrapped veg and are often cheaper than other places.

I'm wondering whether Baker's delight will allow me to bring my own bread bag if I want a sliced loaf. Anyone tried that?.

#10 TrixieBelden

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:14 PM

We've been trying to reduce plastic for a while.  It's hard.  So much stuff is in plastic.

But we keep trying.

#11 jojonbeanie

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:31 PM

View Postarchyandmehitabel, on 03 July 2019 - 02:43 PM, said:

I'm wondering whether Baker's delight will allow me to bring my own bread bag if I want a sliced loaf. Anyone tried that?.
I was thinking of this too. At the moment I ask them to put the bread in paper rather than plastic and they are happy to do this.

#12 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:34 PM

yes - Bakers Delight will put it in a paper bag for me.

#13 Catzilla

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:39 PM

View Postarchyandmehitabel, on 03 July 2019 - 02:43 PM, said:

I haven't tried it yet, but I just messaged them at the Contact Us section on their website and asked if it was allowed to bring a reusable bread bag to put their sliced bread in.  It may be a case of some franchisees do and some don't, but I'll wait and see what they say.

Edited by Catzilla, 03 July 2019 - 03:40 PM.

#14 (feral)epg

Posted 03 July 2019 - 04:48 PM

Most baker's delights store will happily accept a reusable bag. SOME are a bit funny about putting sliced bread into them because they make contact with the slicing machine as they do it.

#15 hotsonfornowhere

Posted 03 July 2019 - 05:13 PM

I'm trying as much as I can. Some things from the shops I can't avoid but I buy what I can from the Source online (I live  rural though so it gets posted to me in paper compostible bags). I don't buy any muesli bars or snacks any more  I bake banana muffins, choc chip muesli bars and then the boys can also have mixed nuts or popcorn for a snack. I've started making my own hummus at home and am looking at making my own crackers. I've also starting making my own bread for breakfast.
Have also just ordered some ingredients to try and make at home spray in conditioner, body butter and lip balm. In the last week I've also make some shampoo/soap bars for myself and some soap bars for hand washing - still need to cure more before using though.

#16 archyandmehitabel

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for the responses. It's the sliced loaf that might be the issue as (feral)epg says. Thick slices I can do myself, but thin sandwich slicesin a really fresh loaf - nope.

hotsonfornowhere, how very energetic of you!  Must be saving mney as well.

#17 JustMyGirl

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:42 PM

Regarding butchers and the like. I struggle with this because I often freeze meat and fish rather than eating on the day. If you freeze these things in glass containers or even plastic containers they get freezer burn. Anyone have a solution for this?
Agree that already packaged goods are a Problem and buying from bulk places like Source is so much more expensive plus they don’t have everything.

#18 cookiegurl

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:17 PM

I’m doing it for the first time. I already use reuseable f&v bags, take containers to my butcher, fish shop, deli at coles/woolies and use modibodi and metal drink container, fabric bag for sliced bread at bakers delight. I made my first trip to a Source bulk store with my containers and got a fair bit of stuff including shampoo and conditioner. They are giving away a free metal straw this month if you bring in so many of your own containers (3?).

I’ve put together a cutlery pack in my handbag so I can refuse plastic in food courts etc. I was caught out the other day not having a keep cup for a takeaway coffee, but luckily I had a jam jar that I could use!

I also made my own beeswax wraps to use in place of gladwrap.

It’s nice to see it being talked about here, no one IRL around me seems to have it on their radar.

Edited by cookiegurl, 03 July 2019 - 07:19 PM.

#19 hotsonfornowhere

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:26 PM

It comes in waves! I seem to feel quite a bit of anxiety/stress/guilt about it all. Hopefully I can keep this going. I have three kids and my DH works away a week at a time  the youngest is 18 mo and incredibly clingy right now, so it can be damn hard. I'm trying to find a balance of doing everything I can to reduce my impact but keep my sanity. It's a battle sometimes!
I'm having a great time growing my own veggies though. I been able to have enough sweet potato and pumpkin to give some away, same with my snow peas now. We have 6 wicking beds we are getting ready to set up so that's exciting!

#20 nom_de_plume

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:07 PM

I’m doing it for the second year and also introducing it to my workplace. We’re having a plastic free morning tea next week :)

We already have reusable shopping bags, keep cups, metal straws/cultery and beeswax wraps at home.

I recently got some silicone food covers to use in place of glad wrap over bowls etc at home and we have started using a Bokashi for composting.

Aldi recently had some plastic free stuff for their special buys. There are still a few items at some stores if anyone is interested.

Edited by nom_de_plume, 03 July 2019 - 08:08 PM.

#21 crazy87

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:21 PM

For those of you using fabric or paper bags at Bakers Delight, how do you stop the bread going stale quickly?
I've found it's only because of the plastic when I squeeze all the air out that bread will last 4-5 days on the bench?

#22 amdirel

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:27 PM

View PostJustMyGirl, on 03 July 2019 - 06:42 PM, said:

Regarding butchers and the like. I struggle with this because I often freeze meat and fish rather than eating on the day. If you freeze these things in glass containers or even plastic containers they get freezer burn. Anyone have a solution for this?
Agree that already packaged goods are a Problem and buying from bulk places like Source is so much more expensive plus they don’t have everything.

You can buy silicone freezer ziplock bags. I haven’t tried them myself but I've been meaning too. Actually this thread has prompted me to finally order the mesh fruit and veg bags tomorrow on pay day, maybe I should order some freezer bags too.

#23 Ozquoll

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:54 PM

View Postamdirel, on 03 July 2019 - 08:27 PM, said:

You can buy silicone freezer ziplock bags. I haven’t tried them myself but I've been meaning too. Actually this thread has prompted me to finally order the mesh fruit and veg bags tomorrow on pay day, maybe I should order some freezer bags too.
I have these ones, they work well:
https://au.iherb.com/c/stasher

#24 cardamom

Posted 03 July 2019 - 09:27 PM

View Postcookiegurl, on 03 July 2019 - 07:17 PM, said:

It’s nice to see it being talked about here, no one IRL around me seems to have it on their radar.

Same - sustainability is talked about much more on EB than in my usual social circles. Someone rolled their eyes and called me a greenie the other day when I was re-using a piece of (perfectly clean!) baking paper in the sandwich press at work.

I'm not doing anything specifically for plastic-free July, just continuing what I usually do, but in the last few weeks I've finally made the switch to silicon baking mats and cloth panty liners and am really liking both :)

#25 WaitForMe

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:02 PM

I try to make a long term change every year.

This year its weekend Keep Cups.

So I have been using a glass Keep Cup for some time when I'm on my own, predominantly work days. On weekends, DH and our youngest DD walk down the road and bring us all back coffees/hot choc. These coffees are in takeaway cups because the cardboard holder doesn't fit Keep Cups, DH doesn't like to take the glass one when he often has to carry home our youngest, and the old ones didn't fit a straw in the spout for the kids.

But times have changed. Keep Cups lid now fits a straw, and they make this nice carry bag that fits four cups. So I got us 4 plastic Keep Cups and the bag for the weekend. In just over two months time we will have used less plastic.

Oh and another change I'm going to start this month, not plastic but reduced landfill - our council will now accept food waste in the green/organics bin.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.