Why do schools need to know this....

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Maree83

Posted 30 June 2019 - 01:51 PM

Hi guys,

This is really just a general question because I am unsure if this is normal or the reason behind the question.
We are looking for a school for prep next year, and a couple of schools have been asking the for parents to categorize what there line of employment is....e.g., answer 1 if you are corporate,  2 for something else, etc etc  (can't remember the numbers and categories ).
I am not complaining, just curious about the reason?
Not all schools have asked, but just wondering why this is relevant.  I knew they would ask our job description, but didn't expect a rating system!
We are applying public, not private.

#2 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 30 June 2019 - 01:52 PM

SES statistics? I only remember being asked the level of education myself and my husband have.

#3 *Spikey*

Posted 30 June 2019 - 01:58 PM

Yep, it's probably tied to funding and the socio-economic statistics of the families enrolled may have a bearing on that.

#4 kshy

Posted 30 June 2019 - 01:59 PM

Schools get extra funding depending on a few things - parent education level is a one of those

#5 liveworkplay

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:00 PM

Normal on all enrollment forms I have seen.

#6 RynandStompy

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:04 PM

It's not the schools but state govt info gathering. The explanation I got a few years ago when DD started VIC state primary prep is it's used to understand demographics at the school that can assist state public school planning. Especially trends over time. And funding for schools.

Our suburb has changed a lot over past 12 years, both in population growth and in citizenship/residency/ethnicity and languages spoken.
The map in the foyer of DD's school shows 34 countries pinned and 39 languages spoken at the school. Our school population is around 240 kids.
Anything that helps the school demonstrate criteria to meet funding is welcome imo.

#7 Maree83

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:05 PM

Okay,  this is first time around for us so haven't had to fill out a form for school until now.
I think 2 out of the 4 asked this question,  and it took me by surprise. I hadn't really thought of your answers so thanks!

#8 Dianalynch

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:13 PM

I think it’s to inform the socioeconomic status of the school which is linked to funding

#9 José

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:22 PM

family occupation and education index =FOEI

assists with funding levels and understanding the school demographics. at least in nsw thats the case.

#10 JoanJett

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:28 PM

I think it's also used for ICSEA (index of community socio-economic advantage) for myschool reporting.

#11 chicken_bits

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:28 PM

As PPs have mentioned. It's not a rating system as a judgement towards you. It's simply a rating system re: SES for the purposes of funding and information for statistical purposes like MySchools/NAPLAN etc.

I believe they use the same number system as the Census?

#12 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:31 PM

I did this for preschool in Vic as well as primary school.

#13 EsmeLennox

Posted 30 June 2019 - 04:24 PM

It is used to assist in assigning an ICSEA value to the school. Just leave it blank if you don’t want to provide that data.

http://docs.acara.ed...CSEA_values.pdf

#14 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 30 June 2019 - 04:42 PM

Apparently normal but I don't like it.
It's not relevant to the school imo where or if I'm working.
It's not relevant to them what year I left school. They don't need to know I left in yr 8 but then did equivilent of yr 10 at tafe
To me it's an avenue for discrimination.

#15 Mmmcheese

Posted 30 June 2019 - 04:46 PM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 30 June 2019 - 02:31 PM, said:

I did this for preschool in Vic as well as primary school.

In Vic it's for funding, and will be for preschools soon too.

Edited by Mmmcheese, 30 June 2019 - 04:47 PM.

#16 José

Posted 30 June 2019 - 04:49 PM

View Post*Nasty*Squeekums*, on 30 June 2019 - 04:42 PM, said:

its supposed to be the opposite.
in nsw schools with a low FOEI receive additional funds.

how is it an avenue for discrimination?

#17 SeaPrincess

Posted 30 June 2019 - 04:54 PM

The information isn’t used or requested by the school, but by the government, as pp’s have said primarily for funding allocation.

I used to work in a training organisation that we had to gather certain information for the government, and we got multiple queries every week about why we need to know x, y or z. We literally just entered the relevant data and then ignored it until annual reporting time, when we would chase up only the information that prevented us from submitting our data to the government.

#18 born.a.girl

Posted 30 June 2019 - 05:03 PM

View Post*Nasty*Squeekums*, on 30 June 2019 - 04:42 PM, said:

Apparently normal but I don't like it.
It's not relevant to the school imo where or if I'm working.
It's not relevant to them what year I left school. They don't need to know I left in yr 8 but then did equivilent of yr 10 at tafe

It's used for positive discrimination.

I live in a high SES area, and our state primary received lower funding than a school with a low SES.

The school itself couldn't give two hoots about individual parents.

#19 onetrick

Posted 30 June 2019 - 05:09 PM

We were told that its also to help determine 'like schools' on the myschopls website. It came up in discussion as lots of parents at our school who are tradies/ business owners called themselves CEOs (not incorrect, but it's a different level on thos, and gave an inaccurate representation of our parent body), and now we have 'like schools'in affluent area, and a high percentage of the cohort that have been through tertiary education, which we are in no way 'like' (I do love my school so this is meant as comment not criticism of our parent body). We found this out at a PTCA event as it was something that was openly discussed among parents.
Not sure if that made any sense, but it's data that is only ever used as a group (X% of parents fit into this category of compared to Y% in this...).
But yes, we hate that the data gets collected too. Just another reason we dont like comparison websites.

#20 born.a.girl

Posted 30 June 2019 - 05:41 PM

View Postonetrick, on 30 June 2019 - 05:09 PM, said:

We were told that its also to help determine 'like schools' on the myschopls website. It came up in discussion as lots of parents at our school who are tradies/ business owners called themselves CEOs (not incorrect, but it's a different level on thos, and gave an inaccurate representation of our parent body), and now we have 'like schools'in affluent area, and a high percentage of the cohort that have been through tertiary education, which we are in no way 'like' (I do love my school so this is meant as comment not criticism of our parent body). We found this out at a PTCA event as it was something that was openly discussed among parents.
Not sure if that made any sense, but it's data that is only ever used as a group (X% of parents fit into this category of compared to Y% in this...).
But yes, we hate that the data gets collected too. Just another reason we dont like comparison websites.

Twenty years ago now, but ours didn't give the opportunity to describe yourself as a CEO.  It asked the area you worked in, but most importantly, your highest level of education, which wasn't open to self description.

The letter that accompanied the form stressed that the school funding was dependent on this information, so 'please think carefully before answering questions'.

In other words: don't let your ego determine our funding.

#21 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 30 June 2019 - 05:58 PM

View PostJosé, on 30 June 2019 - 04:49 PM, said:

its supposed to be the opposite.
in nsw schools with a low FOEI receive additional funds.

how is it an avenue for discrimination?

Treat a kid differently cos their parents are perceived as dumb or won't stand up for their rights.
Offer less cos they considered poor, like say pursuing an interest or being considered to represent the school cos the parent may struggle to afford the fees, travel, extra fancy unforms for it.

Once I hand them forms over I have no idea who may see them before they hit their intended destination, if the front office is lazy and leaves that lying around for instance.
To me It's not relevant info. They have the same data available from the census which has no name or anything attached to it

I could be over thinking it but at dd school there is a clear these parents chuck heaps of money at the school v these ones don't favouritism from staff. I'm seeing it more the longer we at the school

#22 José

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:07 PM

View Post*Nasty*Squeekums*, on 30 June 2019 - 05:58 PM, said:

Treat a kid differently cos their parents are perceived as dumb or won't stand up for their rights.
Offer less cos they considered poor, like say pursuing an interest or being considered to represent the school cos the parent may struggle to afford the fees, travel, extra fancy unforms for it.

Once I hand them forms over I have no idea who may see them before they hit their intended destination, if the front office is lazy and leaves that lying around for instance.
To me It's not relevant info. They have the same data available from the census which has no name or anything attached to it

I could be over thinking it but at dd school there is a clear these parents chuck heaps of money at the school v these ones don't favouritism from staff. I'm seeing it more the longer we at the school

do they really have the census info? do you write the name of the school your children attend on the census? it seems like a more tricky way to get the data.

i think youre totally overthinking this.
even if at your school the ones chucking money at the school get favouritism they could still be miners who didnt finish year 12 or somethig else, its not linked to what you wrote on the form before your child started kindergarten.
schools also have designated funds to support families who need assistance with paying for excursons and things like that. and these funds cannot be used for any other purpose, parental wealth doesnt come into choosing sporting teams and things like that. (although perhaps if your family donated the funds to build a swimming pool you might get on the swim team!)
teachers are pretty busy people. they can't even use the bathroom whenever they want, they need to wait for a designated break time. they dont have time to go checking the level of education of each parent just so they can be mean to them about it!!!!!!

#23 onetrick

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:08 PM

I'd have no idea what parents do for work, so if your teaching/ office staff discuss things like that, there are some serious issues with confidentiality in your school.
BornAGirl- I havent seen the survey, so I could be incorrect, but I know there are issues with people overselling themselves. We didnt discuss it in detail and it was a few years ago, so apologies if I'm wrong!

#24 Expelliarmus

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:12 PM

It's government collected data, not school collected data. No school I have been at has actually done anything with the data.

I have to say that as a teacher, I've only ever briefly looked at the data for the purposes of ensuring it was filled in. Usually, I already know the child's parent's occupation because they've already told me. And my kids told their teachers what I do. No one else at the school ever seems to know!

I have seen that field left blank however so you could leave it blank.

I have also never seen children treated differently because of their parent's occupation. Honestly to those of us who work in schools it's a piece of non-data and most people I know take their privacy responsibilities very seriously.

The government wants the data to assign the ICSEA and in SA it is one piece of data that might inform the Category of Disadvantage which means schools with a lower Category get more - and they do because I use it for lower excursion fees all the time. Most school based support is based on school card, ATSI and refugee status though, not on parental occupation data. ATSI and refugee families have additional access to equity funds.

#25 .Jerry.

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:14 PM

The information isn't used on an individual level, but for statistical purposes.

In my system, public in Qld, the information forms part of the information used to determine the "ICSEA"  - index of socio economic level.  This helps determine the "like schools" we are compared to in MySchool website and similar.  (so we are not compared to schools that are inappropriate to compare to).

Please give the information accurately.  It has important implications that are not personal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.