Australian Politics Thread #8

• Please log in to reply
325 replies to this topic

#51 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 30 July 2019 - 10:42 AM

And interesting approach from Sam Dastyari.
https://10daily.com....losing-20190730

You know I kind of get what he’s saying. But the attacks on the left for anything less than purity are intense.

#52 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 30 July 2019 - 01:34 PM

the left eats its own. there is no co-ordinated message. the right (while it has its factions and its own in fighting) is much more disciplined in that - they have their eyes on the prize at all times...follow the money.

#53 purplekitty

Posted 30 July 2019 - 02:51 PM

Fred Nile.

The gift that keeps on giving.

#54 JustBeige

Posted 30 July 2019 - 05:20 PM

Every time I see a sound bite from him, I am always amazed that he is still around.  Though he is only 84.

But I am surprised that he is given any airtime at all.  At least Pauline is given airtime so all the other politicians can laugh at her

#55 Lunafreya

Posted 04 August 2019 - 10:36 AM

Posted Image

Is it true instead of raising Newstart he’s putting in the drug tests?

#56 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 04 August 2019 - 11:02 AM

Perhaps he’s just helping the poor souls on Newstart to get to heaven

New International Version. Matthew 19:24
“Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."

Edited by Bethlehem Babe, 04 August 2019 - 11:03 AM.

#57 Lunafreya

Posted 04 August 2019 - 11:06 AM

WHY DO SO MANY CHRISTIANS IGNORE THAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

#58 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 04 August 2019 - 11:12 AM

I mean there is also this
New International Version proverbs 14:31
Whoever oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God

#59 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 04 August 2019 - 11:15 AM

And this.
New International Version Matthew 25:40
"The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'

#60 Lunafreya

Posted 04 August 2019 - 11:19 AM

What about the big Daddy of them all? What is considered the heart of Christianity, the Sermon in the Mount?

https://www.biblegat...5-7&version=NIV

#61 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 04 August 2019 - 11:21 AM

View PostLunafreya, on 04 August 2019 - 11:19 AM, said:

What about the big Daddy of them all? What is considered the heart of Christianity, the Sermon in the Mount?

https://www.biblegat...5-7&version=NIV

Yeah but they would claim that they are persecuted for being righteous.

And by keeping them poor, the poor get the kingdom of heaven.  

Pity they aren’t going for the merciful.

#62 Lunafreya

Posted 04 August 2019 - 11:23 AM

Times like this I almost want Jesus to come back, and whip him with his belt for being hypocritical

#63 purplekitty

Posted 04 August 2019 - 11:50 AM

Ask an atheist the most important parts of the bible and the messages of Jesus that people could live by to improve society,and live an ethical life, and they would identify some of these passages.

I'm amazed when Christians seem to ignore them for what appears to be selfishness and callousness.
Particularly prominent ones who should fear scrutiny.

#64 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 04 August 2019 - 03:01 PM

Give me a position you want to uphold and I’ll find parts of the bible that support it. I mean, have you ever just read it, start to finish?

As historic documents it’s fascinating. The concept of living your life ‘by it’ when it’s internally so contradictory boggles my mind.

#65 Lunafreya

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:01 PM

Okay, find my a part of the bible that SUPPORTS abortion and contraception. ;)

#66 *Spikey*

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:08 PM

Find me a part that was written by a woman...

#67 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:56 PM

View PostLunafreya, on 04 August 2019 - 04:01 PM, said:

Okay, find my a part of the bible that SUPPORTS abortion and contraception. ;)

Exodus 21:22-25 is most commonly cited. Here’s the PubMed / nih take on that. (I like scientific research lol) https://www.ncbi.nlm...bmed/12178933

Conservatives consider it taken out of context, or unclear etc, but they also admit there’s nothing specific against abortion in the bible either:
Quote from a NY times article https://www.nytimes....-ambiguity.html
According to Mr. VanGemeren and many other evangelical Bible scholars, no single passage in the Bible clearly supports the anti-abortion stance, but they argue that the broad narrative of the Bible, with its themes of creation, God's blessing on life and humanity bearing the image of God, speak against abortion.

Another interesting link by someone that’s done a whole lot more research than me! https://ffrf.org/com...ortion-rights

Contraception- Numbers 5, and the Book of Esther.

#68 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:58 PM

View Post*Spikey*, on 04 August 2019 - 04:08 PM, said:

Find me a part that was written by a woman...

You are just SO funny!!  

Women can’t write.

#69 purplekitty

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:25 PM

Oh joy.

The Australian
@australian

NSW Liberal Party member numbers have skyrocketed since Scott Morrison’s election, bringing in disillusioned voters from the religious right of the party following the Pentecostal leader’s assertion, and defence of Israel Folau’s freedom of expression.
8:20 PM · Aug 6, 2019

#70 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:23 PM

Blergh

#71 purplekitty

Posted 08 August 2019 - 11:56 AM

Guess where these guys fall in the debate on the Abortion Bill.
There is something very interesting about NSW politics and NSW religion.

At least 500 P&C groups across NSW will be sent an information pack with advice for parents on identifying if their child is being "indoctrinated" by "radical gender activists" at school.

The packs also have the backing of Finance Minister Damien Tudehope, who had planned to join Mr Latham to launch the kits but was called away on parliamentary business.
Several MPs were also at the launch, including Corrective Services MP Anthony Roberts, Mulgoa MP Tanya Davies and upper house MLC Matthew Mason-Cox.

The political lobby group Binary will distribute the packs, launched on Wednesday in NSW Parliament by One Nation MLC Mark Latham, around the state from next week.
Anti-halal campaigner Kirralie Smith, who was a NSW Senate candidate for the right-wing Australian Liberty Alliance at the 2016 federal election, is the director of Binary.

https://www.smh.com....807-p52evx.html

#72 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:02 PM

Further to the above, there a concerted conservative push to take control of the nsw libs.

From the article, one of things that’s pretty lame is the response from the libs - just that growth is good and if you don’t like it bring your own members to us.
Secondly are we to believe the guy who says he has nothing to do with it but has his number printed on the flyers? Why aren’t the people behind this putting their hands up?

https://www.smh.com....807-p52evl.html

#73 purplekitty

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:05 PM

They've seen the success in the US.

#74 purplekitty

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:48 PM

#waxedballs

#75 MarigoldMadge

Posted 10 August 2019 - 11:29 AM

Stupidity of Barnaby yet again on display

https://mobile.twitt...970619972358145

Bizarrely claims that advocates of medicinal marijuana are selling a cure, yet only 3 years ago, stood with the Haslam family at the opening on a marijuana farm, endorsing the opening of a new agricultural opportunity.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.