Second Birth

20 replies to this topic

#1 Crooked Frame

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:22 PM

I'm almost 30w with #2 and getting curious about how this birth will go compared to my first.

I'm interested to know:

What gestation your second baby was born, compared to your first
The length of your first and second labours
And generally what the labour/birth experience was like.

Thank you in advance for sharing this with me!

#2 livvie7586

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:34 PM

All 3 of mine arrived at 41+1.  I over bake my babies.

First labour was almost 71 hours long, ended up having my labour augmented as he had a massive head and my contractions were not regulating themselves.  2 hours pushing and a lot of hard work.

Second was 8ish hours, with 24 hours pre labour.  Otherwise it was a text book labour, and she was out in 8 pushes.

#3 Lou-bags

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:35 PM

Congratulations.

Birth one:
Spont labour starting on EDD
16 hours from first proper contraction to birth. Between 45 min and one hour of pushing (he was 9pd).
Vaginal deliver with episiotomy and epidural (for the last hour and a half or so). So much pain despite the epi, I had quite bad SPD, and also they hadn’t given me a full dose of epidural as DS had gone into distress after the first dose (test dose they called it). Very stressful and traumatic for me- DS1 was in a bit of distress at birth, apgar of 6, meconium, not breathing/crying normally, was taken to SCU. I was completely shocked and exhausted.

Birth two:
Induced at 39+0 for various (mostly) medical reasons.
Labour was 9ish hours, 12 min pushing, some of that waiting for each contraction, maybe 5-8 actual pushes (he was 9pd7oz).
Beautiful calm birth. Also vaginal delivery with epidural (last 3 hours or so) and episiotomy. I loved this birth so much, quite healing after how I felt about my first. DS2 was born with apgar of 9 and 10, I got to hold and feed him immediately. Only my DH, midwife and OB in the darkened room, bed near the floor (OB on her knees to catch baby).

For the most part, based on the experience of the many many mothers I know- second and subsequent births are MUCH ‘better’ than first births.

All the very best for a safe and positive birth ❤️

Edited by Lou-bags, 26 June 2019 - 12:37 PM.

#4 Lallalla

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:41 PM

I don’t think I’ll be much help but my 1st was born the day before her due date, I laboured for 20 hours and it ended in an emergency c-section. My second was twins born by planned c-section at 38 weeks on the dot - but as it happens I was going into labour when they did it so they would have come then (ish) anyway.

Edited to add that from my mothers group 1 lady who had a very long first labour had her 2nd baby in the shower at home because her labour was so quick, and another started pushing her 2nd oneas they arrived at the hospital and had the baby within half an hour - I think her first labour was 8 hours or so. And another who had her 1st 4/5 weeks early had the second even earlier.

Edited by Lallalla, 26 June 2019 - 12:44 PM.

#5 ~ Ohana~

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:47 PM

I was induced for my first due to pre eclampsia- 3.5 hr labour. Second bub was spontaneous at 39 wks and had a 5 hr labour.

#6 Ayr

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:57 PM

Second was a week late (first a week early) labour for all of my kids got faster each time, longest being 4 hours.

#7 rowd

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:05 PM

My first was born at 35+4, with a 5 hour labour.

My second was born at 38+1, with an 11 hour labour.

So mine broke all the rules about first births being longer and later!

#8 MissMilla

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:20 PM

First was induced at 39+1 due to low fluids. Long birth with epidural in the end.

Second was induced at 41+5 because ive had enough :)
She was here 2h after they put me on the drip. It was literally a few painful contractions and she was out.

#9 Mooples

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:25 PM

First was prem, 13 hour labour.
Second was 39 weeks, 3 hour labour. Would have been an hour less if the ob wasn’t off delivering another baby.

#10 kiwimum2b

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:52 PM

1st- 37+1, 20minute labour born on the side of the road.

2nd- managed to stop early labour at 36 weeks and then induced at 39 weeks (to avoid another side of the road baby)
Labour was 15min from getting the medication to induce to having the baby.

#11 400

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:16 PM

I’ll tell you my mum’s because I haven’t had no 2 yet and no 1 was a planned CS

#1: 41+4, 16 hour labour started right before planned induction
#2: 39+6, 14 hour labour
#3: 40+3, 30 hour labour but OP boofhead
#4: 40+0, 12 hour labour

I think the general anecdotal pattern is that each one is a bit quicker, a bit earlier and a bit easier. But there will always be the random unexpected outliers

#12 daisy007

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:43 PM

1- 32 weeks, 1hr 30min labour
2- due date, 3 hr labour.

My 1st was a difficult, drama filled pregnancy/birth from the beginning. 2nd was absolutely textbook.

#13 BusbyWilkes

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:51 PM

View Postrowd, on 26 June 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:

My first was born at 35+4, with a 5 hour labour.

My second was born at 38+1, with an 11 hour labour.

So mine broke all the rules about first births being longer and later!

Me too!

First was born at 38 weeks and next at 41+3. Longest
3 1/2 weeks ever; everyone calling to see if I'd had the baby every day or 2.

#14 Ginja Ninja

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:20 PM

First 35+5 spontaneous labour -  12 hours from first contraction, maybe 5 hours establish labour. Episiotomy as baby was in distress. Special care for 4 hours and then back to me as he was 2.55kg.
Second 38+3, established labour of under an hour, waters broke, baby born 15 mins later.  Thank goodness I was already at hospital to be induced the next morning! Do not recommend, thought I was seriously going to die.

#15 Renovators delight

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:31 PM

Mine are all in the birth stories forum here which has some good reads.

1 - spontaneous labour at 40w of about 18 hours, vaginal delivery with forceps

2 - induced at 40 + 10, never really got going, c-section after 36 hours of not much happening.

3 - spontaneous labour at 39w, repeat c-section after about 8 hours of labour and no real progress / being a fat old high risk mother.

#16 Summer81

Posted 26 June 2019 - 09:13 PM

#1 40+6 spontaneous 18 hours, posterior (I'll never forget the pain), failure to progress so epidural and syntocinin drip, 45 mins pushing and grade 2 tear with stitches.

#2 38+3 spontaneous 1 hour max- just made it to hospital and bub was out 10 mins later. 7-10cm in 3 quick contractions and out in 2 pushes- quick and shocking but so amazing! Thank God I trusted my gut and got to hospital when I did! Grade 1 tear in same spot but mostly because he came out so quick.

#3 spontaneous 40+5 4 hours labour. Water birth, grade 2 tear with stitches.

All very different natural labours! I was on high alert for another early bub for #3 but she kept me waiting! My favourite was #2 though scary in its speed, and #3 for the water birth.

Good luck and all the best, let us know how you go!

#17 StartledFlamingo

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:43 PM

1st was 10 days early, my waters broke when I was out for a walk and labour started a few hours later. He was posterior but switched some time during labour, 12 hour labour with lots of time in the shower (posterior back pain), gas and pethedine. I was also hooked up to a drip and gave birth on my back on a bed (and in a crap hospital). Tear with 4 stitches.

The second birth was much better, mainly I felt much more in control of what I wanted. Exactly on due date, 3 hour labour, the worst of which was in the car on the way and during  admission (I go silent and withdraw during labour, luckily I had a student midwife who could convince the admission staff that yes, this labour really was underway and quite progressed!) Not long after I got into the room it was pushing time and I got down on the floor on all 4s, a few pushes and out she slipped. No time or need for any pain relief. Small tear no stitches.

Edited by StartledFlamingo, 26 June 2019 - 10:47 PM.

#18 LouLou86

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:07 PM

1st born induced after we'd previously lost twins. Induced at 39 weeks, born a couple of hours after waters broke, only about half an hour of active labour. I had some of the drip and only gas so I felt like I was just trying to survive each contraction being thrown at me, and I had no control over my body pushing the baby out.

2nd I went in to be induced at 39 weeks. I feel I was already getting ready to go into labour before this and just had the gel put in to start ripening my cervix... within a couple of hours my waters broke and then the baby was out 20 minutes later. No time even to have a sip of water but it was much more enjoyable as I really felt high on hormones and felt I had so much more control (still bloody hurt!!(

#19 Bugster

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:14 PM

My 1st was induced at 40+3 - 4hrs20 mins from first contraction to birth. It was frustrating as I had lots of monitors & drips in (I had complications during the pregnancy) so was very restricted and unable to move freely but overall a good experience. My midwife was great

2nd was spontaneous at 39+4 labour was 1hr40mins from first contraction, we only just made it to the hospital. It was early morning (3amish) and so calm & quiet.  She was born in just half a contraction, I caught her head as I waddled towards the bed on entering birth suite.

#20 Hands Up

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:31 PM

My first was induced at 41 weeks as I was over it. 27 hour labour including 1 hour and 40 mins pushing. Second degree tear. Posterior most of the time, turned right at the end.

My second was induced at 39+2 to ensure we had someone available to look after DS1. Ten hour labour and 20 minutes of pushing. First degree tear.

#21 HippyDippyBaloney

Posted 16 July 2019 - 08:49 AM

Born at 40+2 after an induction. Labour was 13 hours, only pushed for 20 mins though. He was posterior right the way through labour and delivery which made the experience pretty terrible. I had an episiotomy.

Born at 40+6 following an induction. Labour was 6.5 hours, I can’t recall how long I pushed for but it wasn’t long. I had a 2nd deg tear and a borderline PPH. This one was my favourite birth though I think.

Born at 40+6, my only spontaneous labour. Labour was 2.5 hours, 9 mins of pushing. I didn’t tear at all, only had a couple of grazes.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.