Protests (Hong Kong, etc)

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#26 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:37 AM

Actually the Chinese student was at a protest at a QLD university. Although he was wearing his hood up he was identified and his parents in China visited. They then called him to tell him not to get involved.

There was an incident at Auckland university 2 weeks ago were 2 Chinese pro government students had an argument with a HK student who had set up a protest wall ( with university approval) it was filmed with translations as the Chinese students were speaking Manadarian at her, and she was asking them to speak English as she didn't understand them they basically told her she was a derogatory animal for not being able to speak Mabdarian and ended up causing her to fall over, thankfully unharmed. So it happening everywhere.

#27 purplekitty

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:54 AM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 14 August 2019 - 09:37 AM, said:

Actually the Chinese student was at a protest at a QLD university. Although he was wearing his hood up he was identified and his parents in China visited. They then called him to tell him not to get involved.

There was an incident at Auckland university 2 weeks ago were 2 Chinese pro government students had an argument with a HK student who had set up a protest wall ( with university approval) it was filmed with translations as the Chinese students were speaking Manadarian at her, and she was asking them to speak English as she didn't understand them they basically told her she was a derogatory animal for not being able to speak Mabdarian and ended up causing her to fall over, thankfully unharmed. So it happening everywhere.
You'
You'd think they would need to be more restrained if they are on visas.

#28 annodam

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:09 AM

Well I can't be fk'ed sitting here monitoring day by day events in the hope that this'll get better.
I cancelled DDs airfare for now & may book at a later stage if things improve.

#29 Lunafreya

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:14 AM

Tanks and troops are moving in

https://abc.net.au/n...irport/11411674

I don’t think we can DO anything or SAY anything, if we do, China could retaliate economically. Trash the world economy.

#30 CallMeFeral

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:36 AM

Yup. That's why they are so brazen now. They know nobody will stand up to it as they are now so powerful. Terrifying.

#31 Lunafreya

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:40 AM

Trump might, but he’s no model for good behaviour. He literally bets the farm,

#32 miriams

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:02 PM

No pity about the fears of China to be honest. I'm Irish - we've, and others,  fought for years for freedom and got little but bullets and poverty for it. We've got exactly the world those bastards created. They're welcome to it.

#33 CallMeFeral

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:51 PM

View Postmiriams, on 14 August 2019 - 02:02 PM, said:

No pity about the fears of China to be honest. I'm Irish - we've, and others,  fought for years for freedom and got little but bullets and poverty for it. We've got exactly the world those bastards created. They're welcome to it.

Who is the they in this context? And who is the pity (or lack thereof) supposed to be for? I'm confused.

#34 micric

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:59 PM

View PostCallMeFeral, on 14 August 2019 - 02:51 PM, said:

Who is the they in this context? And who is the pity (or lack thereof) supposed to be for? I'm confused.

I suspect (but could be wrong), the British...

#35 Lunafreya

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:01 PM

Um, it’s the Chinese we are worried about, dear.

#36 Lunafreya

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:04 PM

I’m...there are all these tanks about 25km north of Hong Kong

https://abc.net.au/n...g-kong/11415740

And the protestors won’t budge. They say undercover police are infiltrating them to instigate disturbances and spy

I’m very worried, the protestors are brave but...

#37 CallMeFeral

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:33 PM

That's terrifying. Tiananmen Square comes to mind.

#38 Gumbette

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:04 AM

And again it will be the young and selfless that are taken out first, like those in Tienanmen Square.  They shot at volunteer medical staff wearing long white coats to distinguish themselves from the protesters FFS.

#39 Ozquoll

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:25 AM

View PostGumbette, on 16 August 2019 - 09:04 AM, said:

And again it will be the young and selfless that are taken out first, like those in Tienanmen Square.  They shot at volunteer medical staff wearing long white coats to distinguish themselves from the protesters FFS.
This happens to Palestinian medics regularly too 😟

#40 Lunafreya

Posted 16 August 2019 - 09:40 PM

https://abc.net.au/n...otests/11420840

This is worrying.

#41 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 03 September 2019 - 12:15 AM

I watched the four corners episode on the Hong Kong protests tonight - wow, what brave people. I’d like to think I would stand up for what I believe in like they have, but I’m not sure if I’d be brave enough at this point in my life.

#42 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:40 AM

This is very much a test. China won’t back down. They cannot keep having Hong Kong as it’s own system when it continues to control and restrict the rest of China.
There’s a really great episode of the podcast “the party room” about China https://overcast.fm/+GYIxta3KU

I can’t put my finger on why, but the blue dye being sprayed to mark the protestors for later arrest really disturbs me.

#43 Lunafreya

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:49 AM

I came here to talk about this! I noticed what the protestors did when they stormed the government headquarters. “Do not vandalise library books”, “Do not destroy antiques”, “We are not thieves, pay for your drinks”.  Sometimes the revolution CAN be civilised.

The tactics they were using to avoid police, not just to avoid arrest but avoid violence and protect themselves.

And what gets me excited is they don’t just have students, young people, radicals, but groups that can be hard to engage with: the elderly and the middle professional class. The back bone of any society. Once you have those people as part of your revolution, any government should be very, very worried.

Do you hear the people sing? Couldn’t help but sing along to this.

#44 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:26 AM

Absolutely Luna!

I think the fact that a lot of the older people grew up under British rule and the freedoms associated with that has made the resistance stronger.

#45 Lunafreya

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:44 AM

Yup, they have living memory of before. Something which China doesn’t have.

#46 Lifesgood

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:00 AM

I've been following the protests in HK closely as part of my overall interest in global affairs and China's growing power and authoritarianism.

Like some others, I have recently booked flights to HK for next year - with a group of friends to celebrate a milestone birthday. Obviously will have to wait an see what the situation is like closer to the time.

Today's news includes a leaked audio of Carrie Lam basically saying she would like to step down but isn't allowed to - presumably by China. She has been told not to negotiate or give any ground.
https://www.theguard...ce-leaked-audio

On Twitter I saw a protester neutralise a cannister of tear gas - pretty amazing stuff. I'm really awed by the HKers.
https://twitter.com/...006395884519425

China is under a lot of pressure from a number of fronts at present, there is no telling how they will react.

#47 Lunafreya

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:05 AM

That pro-China politician, making excuses for not engaging with the protesters. “They have no leaders”. “That’s because they’ve been arrested and imprisoned!”

Edited by Lunafreya, 03 September 2019 - 09:05 AM.

#48 SFmummyto3

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:16 AM

View Post22Fruitmincepies, on 03 September 2019 - 12:15 AM, said:

I watched the four corners episode on the Hong Kong protests tonight - wow, what brave people. I’d like to think I would stand up for what I believe in like they have, but I’m not sure if I’d be brave enough at this point in my life.

I watched it also and what I saw terrifies me. What brave people they are protesting both young and old.

I agree China will not back down and am afraid it will end in widespread violence and deaths.

The blue dye reminds me of marking people who hold opposing views and are different and makes it easy for the government to arrest people. The yellow stars worn during the Holocaust comes to mind.

#49 Lunafreya

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:19 AM

I wonder if those protestors will be inventive with getting rid of the blue dye.

#50 Gumbette

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:23 AM

View PostLunafreya, on 03 September 2019 - 07:49 AM, said:

And what gets me excited is they don’t just have students, young people, radicals, but groups that can be hard to engage with: the elderly and the middle professional class. The back bone of any society. Once you have those people as part of your revolution, any government should be very, very worried.

On the weekend, the roads to the airport were blocked by private vehicles.  That's huge.  Those who own a vehicle in Hong Kong either use it as a tool of trade or are very wealthy, so no, not just uni students anymore.

Edited by Gumbette, 03 September 2019 - 09:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.