Do you wear polyester clothing? Or acrylic? Total fluff

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#26 Hibiscus123

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:47 PM

I used to avoid but I’ve been surprised with how some polyester can drape quite well.dont mind wearing if its a party dress that I will only wear a couple times a year.

#27 seayork2002

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:01 PM

I have no idea (I genuinely mean that)  wear stretchy tops and mostly stretchy skirts but not sure what they are made of

#28 SeaPrincess

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:02 PM

I avoid all synthetic fabrics, including blends, because I build up so much static that I have actually seen sparks when I removed a polar fleece top once. It makes shopping for clothes very difficult, and DH blames every blown light globe on me. The children have been known to tell me not to touch them when it’s really bad.

Viscose, rayon and possibly the Lyocell/Tencels are reconstituted cellulose fabrics - man-made from plant material. I can wear them, but I don’t specially love them.

#29 Silver Girl

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:03 PM

I wear a lot of dresses made from stretchy fabric as they suit my figure. Polyester/elastane is my friend.

#30 gettin my fance on

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:12 PM

I've got just as many polyester/acrylic garments as natural fibre garments.

I'm at the point where I can tell just by handling the polyester/acrylic fabric whether or not it's going to be pleasant to wear and I tend to run hot, even in Winter.

Generally, if it feels silky and smooth to the touch I can wear it, but I have to touch the fabric to be sure.

#31 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:15 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 13 June 2019 - 10:01 PM, said:

I have no idea (I genuinely mean that)  wear stretchy tops and mostly stretchy skirts but not sure what they are made of
the elastene component in modern stretchy materials is a synthetic. All the active wear, jeggings, leggings, skirts with stretch,  etc.

If you think it's got some synthetic material in it, it probably has, particularly if it's wash-n-wear and requires very little (or no) ironing.

#32 eliza_non

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:21 PM

I’m going against the grain here and love polyester/acrylic. Cotton is ok, but natural fibres are generally not my friend. Linen and wool in particular *shudder*.

#33 seayork2002

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:22 PM

View PostYodaTheWrinkledOne, on 13 June 2019 - 10:15 PM, said:

the elastene component in modern stretchy materials is a synthetic. All the active wear, jeggings, leggings, skirts with stretch,  etc.

If you think it's got some synthetic material in it, it probably has, particularly if it's wash-n-wear and requires very little (or no) ironing.

Thanks, 99% of what I wear needs no ironing so I must do!

#34 Mands09

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:09 PM

View Postanon039, on 13 June 2019 - 08:24 PM, said:

Do you mean Witchery? Surely with their prices it can’t be polyester?? I wouldn’t go back either!!

Sorry on my phone so it always autocorrects and I don’t notice. Yes I meant witchery. It’s really bad at the moment. Even their knitwear is - polyester/wool blend now. But still costs the same as when it was 100% merino. So dissapointing.

#35 Ellie bean

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:16 PM

I’m allergic to wool so I check to make sure anything I buy isn’t a wool blend, it’s annoying when I find undisclosed wool
I actually don’t like any natural fibres much! Synthetic all the way here

#36 RichardParker

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:32 PM

I actually quite like ironing. Prefer natural fibres now that I’m getting older and smellier. They’re expensive, though, and I cry tears of rage if something wool/silk gets put through the hot wash.

#37 redchick

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:01 AM

Happy to wear polyester for work clothes (tailored pants and nice draped tops from somewhere like Jacqui E) but I never ever buy acrylic cardigans, jumpers or winter scarves. They don’t last well, aren’t as warm and always pill.

#38 avocado toast

Posted 14 June 2019 - 06:19 AM

I prefer natural but I’ll buy polyester if I like it and if it’s not expensive (I’m not buying polyester from Witchery but I’ll buy it from Kmart)
I hate ironing and even though cotton is great I really cbf ironing

#39 Rummonkey

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:02 AM

I love Cue clothing (the classic cuts that doesn’t go out of style). About 2 years ago I noticed soooo many of their items had become 100% polyester. Without any drop in price. No thanks. They don’t ‘breathe’ at all. I don’t mind buying a work dress/shirt etc  that’s going to last me 5-10 years + but not at cue prices if it’s polyester. Witchery have gone down that same road. A polyester shirt for $100+...are they kidding! Consequently I’ve stopped shopping at all! Good for the budget.

#40 Claudia Jean

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:20 AM

View PostRummonkey, on 14 June 2019 - 07:02 AM, said:

I love Cue clothing (the classic cuts that doesn’t go out of style). About 2 years ago I noticed soooo many of their items had become 100% polyester. Without any drop in price. No thanks. They don’t ‘breathe’ at all. I don’t mind buying a work dress/shirt etc  that’s going to last me 5-10 years + but not at cue prices if it’s polyester. Witchery have gone down that same road. A polyester shirt for $100+...are they kidding! Consequently I’ve stopped shopping at all! Good for the budget.

Same!  I went to buy new work dresses last year and previously had some nice wool/wool blends from Cue.  Now they're all sh*tty polyester and $200+  Forget about it!

My wardrobe mostly consists of merino wool, silk, cotton and goose down.  (A vegan's nightmare!)

#41 anon039

Posted 14 June 2019 - 01:43 PM

Ok so I had a bit of a shop today and most things in shops like witchery, Portman’s, Jacque E, jeanswest has almost everything polyester!
The knits are weird combos like 50% acrylic 50%nylon.
Occasionally there’ll be one that has 5% mohair or wool in the mix!

These clothes aren’t even anything that nice btw. It’s not like you can justify it because it’s an amazing cut or colour or whatever.

I’m beginning to think that I might even be better off trying op shops for quality second hand clothes and just buying the cheap odd thing at Kmart.
I never have luck or the patience for op shops but I’m willing to give it another try!

#42 Chocolate Addict

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:04 PM

I don't mind a poly cotton mix but hell no to pure synthetic.

I actually stopped shopping at Autograph because all their clothes were synthetic. Sorry but fat, middle aged, pre or menopausal women do NOT want synthetic fabrics. Hot sweats aren't kind when you are wearing cotton, never mind a non breathing fabric. :p

#43 Freddie'sMum

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:12 PM

I'm finding more and more clothes are being made out of polyester / horrible sweaty inducing materials.  I wish I could afford to only buy pure wool or linen or natural fibres but I can't, so I do buy and wear (and don't really like) about 90% of my clothes.

#44 mayahlb

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:28 PM

I just can't wear it. Even the cotton blends, it needs to be on the lower end or I end up sweating. Work has some shirts they gave us all. I have worn mine maybe 4 times in 4 years. Because as soon as I put it on I'm on the way to dripping.

Anything stretchy likely has a poly component. You can get 100% cotton that is stretchy (knit), but it doesn't hold its shape very well because the elastane is what helps it bounce back to the shape.

#45 can'tstayaway

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:34 PM

I mostly wear natural fibres. My favourite is silk/linen blends for hot weather.

I don’t mind some synthetics for specific purposes like exercise gear where I want the stretchy element.

I’m conscious of the tiny synthetic particles that get washed into oceans with washing synthetic clothing so am looking for alternatives. I would like to find an alternative to synthetics for swimwear but don’t want to look like a baggy, saggy drowned rat.

#46 Jane Jetson

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:46 PM

Yep, I like polyester. I tend to run cold, so that helps.

I find wool very scratchy, and I am deeply iffy about cotton for a number of reasons - first, I try and avoid Uzbek cotton for human rights and environmental purposes; and minimise other cotton, for environmental reasons especially if it's been grown here in a place where we really shouldn't be growing such a thirsty resource.

I also avoid fast fashion and wear clothes to death for environmental reasons. I mean, I have a fair few too many dresses, but they're going to get a lot of wear before they die.

#47 Demera

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:59 PM

I severely dislike acrylic and will not purchase it at all.  I always check labels before considering a piece in case it contains acrylic. I love wool... so soft and is the best thing for drawing moisture away from the skin. I really love wool socks!

#48 crazy87

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:13 PM

Such a shame about Witchery...we need to all lodge complaints. Country Rd thankfully still seems to have some quality pieces, and Sportscraft is ok too.

#49 RichardParker

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:55 PM

View Postcan, on 14 June 2019 - 04:34 PM, said:

I’m conscious of the tiny synthetic particles that get washed into oceans with washing synthetic clothing so am looking for alternatives.

I've recently discovered the joys of silk pants - they're so flexible you can sleep and do yoga in them.  I want someone to design a yoga/pilates line of clothing in silk, so we don't all have to wear those lululemon tights for $11ty billion that ruin the environment.

#50 Mands09

Posted 15 June 2019 - 12:09 AM

View Postcrazy87, on 14 June 2019 - 11:13 PM, said:

Such a shame about Witchery...we need to all lodge complaints. Country Rd thankfully still seems to have some quality pieces, and Sportscraft is ok too.

I emailed them about it a few months ago and never got a response. Will not shop there again. Such a shame because I do like the jeans there.

Am going to try op shops and the vintage shop around here but unfortunately I’m not the right size for a lot of that stuff. Might hve to have a try at sewing my own clothes again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.