Lost & don’t know what to do

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 udontnome

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:04 PM

Ok so I know this is a common theme for me - I guess like everyone I’m trying to work out my place in the world & it’s just not coming together.   Firstly I’m living somewhere I really don’t want to but unless I want to leave my kids moving is not an option at this point.   I started a new job 3 months ago - similar career path but different environment that I have never worked in before - im feeling extremely overwhelmed & just when I feel like I’m making some headway my upper management has completely cut me down - apparently their expectation would be that I would be 100% competent by now & even though my boss has explained I am improving & it’s all new for me.  He is going part time in a couple of weeks so even more pressure will be placed on me.  My mental health is not great at the best of times & I already have my own high expectations so I’m not sure how I can cope with the added pressure.  I am tempted to give my notice tomorrow & hope I get something quickly.    I also have been working a night job 5 nights a week which is fine but I feel quite fatigued - the main purpose is the job assists paying the school fees of my eldest son.  I have asked to reduce these hours but I have been told i have to work 5 nights.  

I feel lost in my career & I don’t even know where to start in terms of changing & still being able to pay my bills.   My current career is no longer something I feel good about & it actually feels like a drain.

#2 Navy Blue

Posted 13 June 2019 - 07:37 PM

You've been through a LOT OP. I admire your strength to stay on course, always doing the best for your kids.

Could you just keep the night work - would that pay enough?

Have you got any orders relating to who is meant to pay the school fees, or could you talk to the school about a concession for the fees?

#3 Chelli

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:49 PM

If it were me, I'd start looking around for something else. No job is worth your mental health, it just isn't. Maybe for the time being you look for something that doesn't require as much strategic planning while you decide which direction you want to go in.

All the best with it.

#4 udontnome

Posted Yesterday, 08:04 AM

Thank you for your reply.   I think you’re right I need to look for something less responsibility & pressure for a bit.  Hopefully I can make an arrangement with the school.  It’s unlikely that my ex will contribute any money towards school fees.

#5 born.a.girl

Posted Yesterday, 08:27 AM

I remember your threads.  You will look back on this period of your life and realise what enormous pressure you were under and marvel at what you achieved.

#6 Sincerely

Posted Yesterday, 09:12 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 17 June 2019 - 08:27 AM, said:

I remember your threads.  You will look back on this period of your life and realise what enormous pressure you were under and marvel at what you achieved.

Yes. OP, you sound amazing. It clearly sounds like you are indispensable at your night job if they won't let you reduce your hours even slightly and also must be performing spectacularly well in your new job if your boss is planning to reduce hours and hand over some of his workload to you (after you've only been in your position for three months).

Your work hours do seem untenable in the long term though, so I hope some arrangement can be made with the school fees. In the meantime, even if you are getting little job satisfaction, you should at least know that you are doing an amazing job as a parent, employee and all round individual.

PS: I suspect upper management couldn't do the job you are doing. Upper administrators look good by trimming staff and pushing those at the coal face to take on as much workload as they can possibly bear (sometimes more). Front line workers are seldom appreciated even though they are the ones that keep organisations going.

Edited by Sincerely, Yesterday, 09:14 AM.

#7 Octopodes

Posted Yesterday, 09:13 AM

Can you move schools? I know it can be hard on a kid to leave friends etc, but if it is a choice between that and your mental health...

Once the pressure of school fees is gone, you might be able to cut back on work a little

#8 udontnome

Posted Yesterday, 09:24 AM

Octopodes, on 17 June 2019 - 09:13 AM, said:

Can you move schools? I know it can be hard on a kid to leave friends etc, but if it is a choice between that and your mental health...

Once the pressure of school fees is gone, you might be able to cut back on work a little

I am reluctant to do this as this is the 3rd school my son has been to in less than 3 years.  I don’t feel like it is fair to change him again.

#9 Octopodes

Posted Yesterday, 09:43 AM

View Postudontnome, on 17 June 2019 - 09:24 AM, said:

I am reluctant to do this as this is the 3rd school my son has been to in less than 3 years.  I don’t feel like it is fair to change him again.
That is tough, OP. I would be reluctant in that situation as well. His mental well being is important too. How many years does he have left at the school?

Is the requirement to work two jobs a long term or short term necessity? It definitely sounds like the day job isn't working for you and a change might help ease the stress.

#10 udontnome

Posted Today, 10:21 AM

I’ve quit my day job - I have nothing to go to but I’m drowning here & it gets worse every day.   Now I’m freaking out about whether I can get another job?   Honestly everything feels hopeless at the moment - I can’t get it together.  Nothing seems to work & I don’t seem to fit anywhere.

#11 Holidayromp

Posted Today, 10:46 AM

I think that you seriously will need to review the private school.

You will not be of any assistance if you are drowning in debt and completely stressed as a result.

Whilst you are not happy about changing schools it would be the best course of action to relief to relieve your immediate financial situation and in the long term.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.