Farewell, Au revoir, Auf Wiedersehen, To Day Sleeps :(

34 replies to this topic

#1 Caribou

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:34 PM

And holy moly, had I forgotten this stage.

DS is well and truly refusing day sleeps now. I pushed it for long as i could. I know, theoretically it's meant to make going out whenever so much easier, but in return, I have to deal with a terrible twos child, and that last day nap was the only thing holding my sanity together.

What did anyone do to keep their kid quiet and occupied for their (mother's) sanity before the partner gets home to take over? or least, get the day going until bedtime?

#2 RichardParker

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:39 PM

The Wiggles.

#3 JBH

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:40 PM

We used to have audiobook time. A time for lying quietly and listening to the story until the timer turns it off. Meant there was still a prospect of falling asleep when very tired.

#4 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:40 PM

Peppa Pig

#5 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:42 PM

Quiet time replaces nap time here. Usually a DVD or Netflix movie. Or just the ABC, a few toys and some books. A little cup of snacks is good too. I still call it nap time, cause often I have a nap, lol, or at least a lie down while they are distracted.

You may need to rotate toys or keep a special tub of toys aside just for quiet time.

#6 Jenflea

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:44 PM

Quiet Time which happened in the cot(she never climbed out) where she could read or play quietly, but she had to stay quiet for  an hour or so.

90% of the time she'd be asleep within 20 minutes.

I had QT at the same time so she accepted it really easily, plus it meant I got a bit of a rest too.

#7 Bono25

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:45 PM

Bluey.

Or Moana, which she normally falls asleep in the middle of, so I get to watch my stuff!

#8 Caribou

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:48 PM

View PostBono25, on 04 June 2019 - 12:45 PM, said:

Bluey.

Or Moana, which she normally falls asleep in the middle of, so I get to watch my stuff!

I watched bluey for the first time this morning after having let the kids watch it without me screening it, and i officially blame Bluey's mum for setting up unrealistic standards of role playing with the kids.

Monana good point. DS loves monana

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 04 June 2019 - 12:40 PM, said:

Peppa Pig

DS is terrifed of Peppa pig! :lol:

#9 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:03 PM

Yeah I liked the first series of Bluey better where the dad did all the playing while the Mum was off doing stuff. This new series has the whole family playing together!

#10 seayork2002

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:16 PM

Nigella Lawson - hey it worked!

#11 born.a.girl

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:47 PM

Bribery to still have sleeps.

I was trying to earn a living, it had worke perfectly with a day or two a week of 3 hrs occasional care followed by a nap, or her with me in the morning, then a nap.

Instead of a few quiet hours of furious working I went to manainging a furious child.

I insisted on some quiet time in her room, along with a the reminder that she spent that same time extra with her Dad at night, which she loved.  After a few weeks she realised that life was actually better having a nap, then spending a few hours with her Dad when he got home.

I’ve no idea what would have happened with my business otherwise.   Full day childcare was out of the question budget wise.

#12 Caribou

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:51 PM

yes, childcare is out of the question at the moment for us. It's just not a feasible option. the costs required these days, It would still be cheaper to quit working from home and do nothing until he was at school.

I suspect there will be a lot of food bribery going on.

#13 rainycat

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:25 PM

It was a sad sad day here when my twins dropped their day sleep.
Fireman Sam and the wot wots worked for us.

#14 Pooks Combusted

Posted 04 June 2019 - 02:30 PM

My son stopped all naps before he turned 2. He watched Mary Poppins every afternoon.

#15 Ellie bean

Posted 04 June 2019 - 04:25 PM

My dd dropped naps at 2 when I had a 12 month old and could not be bribed, if I put her in her cot she would stick her fingers down her throat and vomit till I got her out. I’m only posting that to make you feel better if bribery doesn’t work.

#16 Caribou

Posted 04 June 2019 - 04:35 PM

View PostEllie bean, on 04 June 2019 - 04:25 PM, said:

My dd dropped naps at 2 when I had a 12 month old and could not be bribed, if I put her in her cot she would stick her fingers down her throat and vomit till I got her out. I’m only posting that to make you feel better if bribery doesn’t work.

my DD dropped day naps at 18months. it was so hard and i put her in childcare by the time she was two.

I've been fighting DS on day naps for the last month. he's been on and off about it but yesterday was so bad I had to concede it was a fight i wasn't going to win.

he's been jolly fine today playing, but im definitely doing a lot more playing with him than id really liked. I get as a parent we're supposed to entertain and simulate them etc etc, but i also have work and house work to do too. I really needed that nap for work especially!

It doesn't help winter is here and the playgrounds here are just a constant state of dew, i've tried taking a towel to wipe down swings and slippery dip, but I may was well be trying to dry a lake with a single towel.

hes ok with TV, but he's not 100% on board with it. not unlike my DD who can watch a film start to end. he gets bored of it quickly and wants to do something else. same with iPad etc. think it's time for story time and playgroups now.

#17 seayork2002

Posted 04 June 2019 - 04:41 PM

I have to admit we just put up with it, I can't imagine when DS was little bribery working to make him sleep - I can't sleep on demand so I could not imagine everyone being able to even toddlers/children

#18 Drat

Posted 04 June 2019 - 05:00 PM

Seriously dreading the day that my almost 3 year old drops her nap... Iknow i'm super lucky to have gotten ths far, but I don't know what I will do with her when it stops.
We don't really do tv.. maybe I could leave her in her room to read books for an hour..

#19 PrincessPeach

Posted 04 June 2019 - 05:13 PM

Quiet time in his room.

Although a head cold has meant the return of sleeps this week.

#20 just roses

Posted 04 June 2019 - 05:17 PM

We went to quiet time in the bedroom. He could lie down, play with Duplo, 'read' - whatever. But he had to do it quietly in his own room. This was a compliant child, mind you. It didn't work nearly so well with the firecracker that followed.

Can I strongly recommend the ABC Kids Listen App? It's fantastic! And free. DD is almost 9 and it puts her to sleep every night. It has stories and lullabies and songs etc. It's great.

If all else fails, build in screen time. Sure, it might not be ideal. But losing your sanity is far less ideal!

#21 just roses

Posted 04 June 2019 - 05:19 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 04 June 2019 - 01:16 PM, said:

Nigella Lawson - hey it worked!
Remember Peter Russell Clarke? My little cousin was obsessed with him. It was her must see show as a toddler.

#22 just roses

Posted 04 June 2019 - 05:20 PM

View PostPooks Combusted, on 04 June 2019 - 02:30 PM, said:

My son stopped all naps before he turned 2. He watched Mary Poppins every afternoon.
The original movie? I couldn't get my 8 year old to sit right through it with me the other night. It was very disappointing (not the movie, the fact it didn't hold her attention!)

#23 Octopodes

Posted 04 June 2019 - 05:22 PM

Thomas. Many episodes. That train and his weird friends kept me sane in those early years.

#24 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 04 June 2019 - 05:29 PM

the other advantage of dropping a nap, in the early days, is a very early bed time.  6pm was probably one of my records, lol. but 6:30 was pretty standard for the first few months.  Even now, if DS2 has a busy day, ill put him to bed at 6:30 rather than risk a nap and having him up till 8 or 9.

#25 Pooks Combusted

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:31 PM

View Postjust roses, on 04 June 2019 - 05:20 PM, said:

The original movie? I couldn't get my 8 year old to sit right through it with me the other night. It was very disappointing (not the movie, the fact it didn't hold her attention!)
Yes. He was captivated, day after day after day. The opening song would start and you’d see his little body relax. He’s now 7 and I’ll still put it on when he’s very sick or upset. I have lovely memories of the 2 of us lying together watching it (he didn’t really sleep at night either, so I often dozed through it).

Reply to this topic

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.