Hand foot and mouth as an adult

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mummabearrr28

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:18 PM

HFM

Omgosh the moment your 2 yr old with Hand, foot and mouth gets annoyed and pushes you away by touching your lips!!! Ahhhhhhh 😫😫😫 has anyone here caught HFM from their child? Is it as bad as they get it? Do you get fevers? Sorry I’m just freaking out now! (I also have an 8 wk old). I literally ran straight upstairs and poured listerine all over my lips and mouth.

#2 itsallnew

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:37 PM

My husband and I both caught it from our 16 month old. It was far less severe for us, just general cold symptoms plus a few spots on hands. Didn’t blister. I think it’s quite variable from person to person. Good luck!

#3 theboys2

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:39 PM

hi

my son had HFM when he was about 2 thankfully only on his hands and feet.

i on the other hand got it from him and ONLY in my mouth.. I dont want to stress you out but it was pure hell lol

i was gargling with numbing mouth wash pretty much every hour for about 5/6 days and anything hot or cold was so painful to eat. I forced myself too but i can understand why kids end up in hospital for fluids with HFM.

I hope you avoid it!

#4 Contrebasse

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:42 PM

I’ve had it, i had a very sore throat for a few days, then some fairly painful, tingly blisters on the hands and feet. Not nice but not a disaster.

#5 QuirkyMum

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:48 PM

We did ( while we were travelling in Europe; baby was very sick, 2 adults in the family got blisters on hands and feet, my husband also got blisters on the throat and had fever for two days, couldn't walk due to fever and general weakness, couldn't eat for days thanks to throat sores; couldn't eat anything apart from smooth soup/puree for close to 2 weeks. Pediatrician that promptly saw us at an international clinic, thanks for awesome insurance, quoted a number of strains of HFM that exist and that MOST do not affect adults but there's a new strain ( something something strain B that came from South East Asia and Australia ) and it is new and spreading rapidly in Europe that makes adults very sick or unable to walk until all blisters pop on their feet. Days later we got an email from that clinic confirming that it was that strain.)
All in all it lasted for 9 days.
Years ago when my eldest was in childcare and HFM was going around, I heard that parents were getting it but it was either sores in the mouth or pimples around lips that felt like cold sores ( painful and making lips crack but not too bad).
Good luck,OP!
Most likely you will be fine. Even if you catch it, you probably won't notice.
I had skin slightly peeling off my fingertips on a few occasions and once my GP noticed it and said it means I caught HFM from my son ( he had it 3-4 weeks before). I had no idea, definitely wasnt sick.

Edited by QuirkyMum, 22 May 2019 - 04:51 PM.

#6 Renovators delight

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:52 PM

View PostQuirkyMum, on 22 May 2019 - 04:48 PM, said:

adults very sick or unable to walk until all blisters pop on their feet.

DP had this a couple of years ago. All over his hands as well as feet. Lost nails a few months after as well.

#7 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:18 PM

A friend did off her daughter. She said she was very unwell, especially the blisters in her mouth and throat. This was in Singapore where they require you to have a 2 week quarantine for cases.

#8 daisy007

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:23 PM

I had it and it was horrendous, my mouth was full of huge ulcers and eating anything was awful. I lived on mouth numbing gel and sucking on tea bags for a week. Was definitely far more severe for me than the kid.

#9 ELF_em_bee

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:45 PM

I had it in late April  this year.
Sorry to report that it was terrible!
At the worst point I couldn’t talk from the pain of ulcers all over my mouth and throat.  Drinking even just water felt like lava.  I didn’t eat properly for about 3 days, just stuck to cold dairy foods like milk and yoghurt (and made myself some rice pudding that I kept in the fridge).  It took a good 2 weeks to fully recover from.  I caught it from my niece who was contagious before we knew she had it.  She had a very mild case ...... seems it’s much worse in adults.  Nasty little virus that it is!
I took some strong pain relief and just had to wait it out.

Edited by ELF_em_bee, 22 May 2019 - 09:47 PM.

#10 Grrrumbles

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:55 PM

I could eat but nothing acidic or sugary - I cried in pain when I bit into an apple.

I felt like such a fraud as I had to have a fair bit of time off work but most websites said adults have usually had it as a child so it is super rare.

I am old and didn’t go to childcare before kinder but I cannot remember it being a thing at all in the 70s/80s.

#11 Jenflea

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:57 PM

I never heard of it before joining EB 9 years ago! I doubt I ever had it or my siblings.

#12 MissMilla

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:02 PM

View PostELF_em_bee, on 22 May 2019 - 09:45 PM, said:

I had it in late April  this year.
Sorry to report that it was terrible!
At the worst point I couldn’t talk from the pain of ulcers all over my mouth and throat.  Drinking even just water felt like lava.  I didn’t eat properly for about 3 days, just stuck to cold dairy foods like milk and yoghurt (and made myself some rice pudding that I kept in the fridge).  It took a good 2 weeks to fully recover from.  I caught it from my niece who was contagious before we knew she had it.  She had a very mild case ...... seems it’s much worse in adults.  Nasty little virus that it is!
I took some strong pain relief and just had to wait it out.

This was my husband! Just like you he got it from our niece who was fine and had a very mild case. For him it was terrible.

#13 Pink Flamingo

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:11 PM

I got it from my son who had just turned one. I got it way worse than he did. I had a Sore throat, blisters from head to toe, water running over my hands was agony it felt like my hands were being sliced open by razor blades. I couldn’t sleep because of the pain in my hands and ended up taking strong painkillers to get relief. It was horrendous!
I really hope you don’t get it or if you do you are one of the lucky ones and get a mild case.  Good luck!

#14 Underthemoon

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:26 PM

My 19 month old has it right now (third time in 6 months due to daycare) and touch wood we haven't gotten it. I have been so carefree about it but after reading the replies I need to take it more seriously I think! I've been doing hand hygiene etc but keep kissing him on the face... Plus he coughs and sneezes all over me.

#15 Renovators delight

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:27 PM

View PostJenflea, on 22 May 2019 - 09:57 PM, said:

I never heard of it before joining EB 9 years ago! I doubt I ever had it or my siblings.

Likewise. Never heard of it until DS1 went to daycare. And neither had my Dad who worked in primary schools and child protection for 40 odd years.

#16 Oh Peanuts!

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:27 PM

I’ve just recently had it. My little one had it very badly, but I only got blisters in the mouth and a sore throat. It was painful to eat and drink for sure, but otherwise not that bad. I just ate soup and custard for the week. So in my experience anyway, it was milder than I had feared.

#17 **Xena**

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:47 PM

Not an adult but I got it as a teen. It was so awful. My feet weren't too bad luckily but like PP my mouth was full of large paiful ulcers so that eating and drinking was a miserable experience.

#18 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:56 AM

View PostRenovators delight, on 22 May 2019 - 10:27 PM, said:

Likewise. Never heard of it until DS1 went to daycare. And neither had my Dad who worked in primary schools and child protection for 40 odd years.

It was never on my parents or my radar as a child. I only heard about it in 2009 when we were living in Singapore and then my niece in New Zealand got it 2016. I don't think it was in NZ or Australia until 2010 or so.

#19 MrsG2

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:00 AM

I got it last year and it’s HORRIBLE, hands and feet burning and the worst fever and aches I’ve ever had.... adults are less likely to get it so hopefully you won’t OP

#20 Melbs2010

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:23 AM

I caught it from my son when he was in child care.  I'd been continually sick from child care bugs for months so it's hard to know which symptoms were from what.

From memory for me it was like having a bad cold - sore throat, lethargy, runny nose, cough - plus a heap of ulcers in my mouth that just added to the misery.  Like others, no blisters on the hands or feet for me.  Just mouth ulcers.  On top of caring for an unwell toddler who was truly miserable it wasn't a fun time.  But overall just in the bad cold category so I was fortunate.

#21 jessa86

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:26 AM

My son had it a few weeks ago, he's 4 and caught it from my 2 year old niece. I have 4 other children including a 7 month old and no one else got it. All of the adults around my son and niece didn't catch it either.

My son is a thumb sucker and it made things worse for him and the scabs got infected, but other than that it didn't seem to bother him at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.