How does your income compare to everyone else's?

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#1 **Xena**

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:20 PM

I found this interesting. Apparently a recent ANU study found almost 95 per cent of people had misconceptions about either the level of inequality in Australia or their position in the national income distribution.

Here's a little test to see if you can accurately predict how your income compares:

https://www.abc.net....stralia/9301378

I did my husband's income because I only get FTB currently and was surprised by my result. I guessed 39% better off but it was actually 63%

ETA: I believe it goes by income brackets rather than the specific amount you bring home. So you get the same result if you're in the bottom or top end of your bracket. Still pretty eye opening though.

Edited by **Xena**, 21 May 2019 - 08:44 PM.

#2 nasty snaugh

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:28 PM

I was off by about 20%  -  I'm better off than I thought I was

Quite interesting

ETA - I'm in Sydney(ish), and I wonder if my estimate would be closer to my "local" average than the national average?

Edited by nasty snaugh, 21 May 2019 - 08:30 PM.

#3 Lunagirl

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:32 PM

I guessed 5% lower than I actually was, so not too far off. I think the reason a lot of people think they are worse off than they are is that there is such a huge variance in the top few percent. Someone earning around $150k is in the top 4%, but I can see how someone on that wage would assume they are lower than that given people only a few percent higher could have an income of seven figures.

#4 TheGreenSheep

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:33 PM

Interesting. I really thought I’d be higher in the percentages, however I was in the bottom 10%.

ETA I was better with DH income.

Edited by TheGreenSheep, 21 May 2019 - 08:35 PM.

#5 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:34 PM

yeh i was out....i thought i was around 70% better off...but it’s a bit higher. i think sydney incomes might be skewing the national average, dunno.

#6 LiveLife

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:34 PM

Surely that scale cannot be correct?

#7 Freddie'sMum

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:35 PM

Current income = zero.

#8 Lunagirl

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:35 PM

View Postnasty snaugh, on 21 May 2019 - 08:28 PM, said:

I was off by about 20%  -  I'm better off than I thought I was

Quite interesting

ETA - I'm in Sydney(ish), and I wonder if my estimate would be closer to my "local" average than the national average?

I think your last point is also why people are off. Where you live and the schools your children attend are all influenced to some degree by income, so people do end up in bubbles.

ETA: TheGreenSheep - I'm sure I've read previously that people on lower incomes overestimate where they sit on the scale, probably again due to the bubble effect (everyone around you earns similar).

Edited by Lunagirl, 21 May 2019 - 08:40 PM.

#9 Avidreader

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:38 PM

Supposedly 0% earn more. Obviously not completely accurate but I knew we were near the top. It’s a great position to be in after my own childhood surviving on family benefits.

#10 purplekitty

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:39 PM

I guessed correctly but interestingly I know many people earning way more than us pay much less tax.

#11 just roses

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:41 PM

I was bang on! I'm earning more than 80% of Australians (and not over $100k either)

#12 YodaTheWrinkledOne

i guessed correctly too.

#13 Avidreader

View Postpurplekitty, on 21 May 2019 - 08:39 PM, said:

I guessed correctly but interestingly I know many people earning way more than us pay much less tax.

I’m intrigued. How do you know how much tax others pay?

#14 Delirium

I was where I thought I would be, so I’m aware that I’m privileged (top 10%). I’m pretty proud of myself considering other stats count against me according to that article (I’m Indigenous and a sole parent).

#15 purplekitty

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:43 PM

View PostAvidreader, on 21 May 2019 - 08:41 PM, said:

I’m intrigued. How do you know how much tax others pay?
Our financial and tax advisers tell us.

#16 **Xena**

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:43 PM

View PostLiveLife, on 21 May 2019 - 08:34 PM, said:

Surely that scale cannot be correct?

I've edited my OP but I believe it goes by income bracket as indicated in the census rather than the exact amount you earn. So my result was the same whether my husband earns at the bottom or top of our specific income bracket.

Edited by **Xena**, 21 May 2019 - 08:45 PM.

#17 Avidreader

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:44 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 21 May 2019 - 08:43 PM, said:

Our financial and tax advisers tell us.

They breach confidentiality of their other clients or are you offered tax breaks that you intentionally don’t take up?

#18 Crombek

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:44 PM

I did DH’s for him. He was off by 30%. This explains much.

Edited by Crombek, 21 May 2019 - 08:45 PM.

#19 purplekitty

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:45 PM

View PostAvidreader, on 21 May 2019 - 08:44 PM, said:

They breach confidentiality of their other clients or are you offered tax breaks that you intentionally don’t take up?
How is it a breach of confidentiality if they talk in general terms?
PAYE taxpayers do not have access to the same tax breaks.

#20 Fizgig

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:45 PM

I only work three days so I rated it as if I work five. I wasn’t far off what I thought. It doesn’t feel like I am that high when I see the holidays and houses that everyone around me seems to be able to have. Though if I was working five days a week I could probably have some of that too.

#21 #YKG

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:52 PM

My guesstimate was 25% lower then where I actually sit. I’m actually surprised tbh.

#22 WaitForMe

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:56 PM

So many ways to skin a cat.

Theres another one of these that goes by household income after tax, and number of people it supports. I'm waaaay down the bottom of the scale on that one but on this one I'm way up the top.

#23 Meepy

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:22 PM

I was off by 20%. Am surprised as I thought it would be around the middle.

#24 Wonderstruck

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:43 PM

I expected to be in the middle. Turns out I was off by around 20%...

#25 CallMeFeral

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:43 PM

View Postnasty snaugh, on 21 May 2019 - 08:28 PM, said:

If you keep scrolling it shows you the average for your postcode and so on.

I wonder if it includes part time workers. I feel like the scale is artificially lowered if it's including people at the low end who work 1 day a week while their partner earns 6 figures. I think it would be more appropriate on household income.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.