Romy, Roma, or...?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Happypossibility

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:56 PM

My husband is newly fixated on Romy or Roma. I actually like the sound of Roma, but I'm yet to be convinced on the place names as people's names trend. Even though Romy is a lovely name, for me it isn't strong sounding. My adventure loving, mountain climbing husband got onto these names whilst hiking, declaring he hopes his future daughter loves to roam and explore and is curious about the world. He ignored me when I explained Romy is usually pronounced Rom-i, not Roam-ee. Any suggestions on girl's names that are straightforward to pronounce and spell, but remind you of adventure?

#2 ~J_WTF~

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:59 PM

I have no names but all I can think about when on hear Roma is tomato!

#3 MooGuru

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:00 PM

Roma as nn for Ramona?

#4 lizzzard

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:09 PM

Remy!!

#5 Lunagirl

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:09 PM

Everest - if he likes mountains, why not go for the biggest one of all?
Sierra - another mountain name
Amelia - after Amelia Earhart
Nancy - after Nancy Bird Walton
Valentina - after Valentina Tereshkova, the first woman in space

#6 AliasMater

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:12 PM

Romy is nice. Roam-ee, definitely not Rom-i. I also like Ramona, a lot.

Please not Remy for a girl. That is a very masculine French name.

#7 José

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:17 PM

I think romy is roam-ee

I don’t particularly like it!
I like the sound of Roma but also think of tomato so couldn’t use it!

#8 little lion

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:42 PM

I think Romi as a nickname for Ramona is interesting. Other names that sound adventurous include Scout or
Lake.

#9 MrsPuddleduck

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:47 PM

I’ve always pronounced Romy as Roam-ee!

#10 **Xena**

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:50 PM

My friend has two daughters named Trixie and Roma. I actually love Roma. Even though I do think tomato I also just like the sound and it suits my friends daughter :) I also love Ramona.

#11 blimkybill

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:58 PM

I have always pronounced it Roam-ee. I had a cousin who was Romy, short for Rosemary in her case. I like it. Short, sweet, and with special meaning for your husband.

I am having a mental blank right now on adventurous sounding name alternatives. There are lots of place name options (India, Paris, Montana, Siena etc, I even know a little Venice. ) You may know a place name you really love. Or something botanical, or something celestial (Aurora? Celeste? Luna?)

#12 kerilyntaryn

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:57 PM

Others similar to romilda, Romina, romelle, Romana, romelia, Romilly, Romany, romelle, romaine, Romney, Romana, ramira, Ramona, Remi, rosamel, Rosamund. I think Roma is ok, I think Romy is ok too, pronounced rom-i. There are lots of place names you can use, any special places? Some other names journey, Indiana, Oakley, scout, liberty, serendipity, Nara, gypsy. Beatrix means traveller. Lots of names, lots of angles you could follow

Edited by kerilyntaryn, 22 May 2019 - 12:20 AM.

#13 Zeppelina

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:59 PM

When you mentioned names that remind you of adventure or are about adventure, I immediately thought of goddess names, which may not be up your alley! These ones are all quite easy to spell/pronounce though:

Artemis - The Greek goddess, known as the Goddess of the Hunt, Forests, Hills, and the Moon. She was also a goddess of childbirth, and the protectress of the girl child.

Rhiannon - A goddess in Welsh mythology of horses and the sea whom ancient Celtic riders would seek for protection.

Luna/Selene - The goddess of the moon. She drives her moon chariot across the heavens.

#14 afterlaughter

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:05 PM

Remy

#15 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:12 PM

My vote - Denali.

I think it's an awesome name! Also the name of the highest peak on the north american continent (located in Alaska)

Sorry, I am not a fan of either Romy or Roma.

#16 Stylus

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:32 PM

I thought Romy was generally pronounced Rom-ee rather than Roam-ee. Seems I’m not in the majority though.

#17 lizzzard

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:49 PM

Oops - I missed that the bub was a girl! I have seen Remy on a girl, but its obviously traditionally male

#18 amdirel

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:59 PM

I know a Romy, it's pronounced Rommy. I've never heard it pronounced Roamy!

I look after a cheeky old lady called Roma, so for me I think of her, not tomatoes!

Neither of them say "adventure" to me though?

#19 Gudrun

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:00 PM

I love Romy. Pronounced how your DH pronounces it.

Short for Rosemary if you want it to be.

Otherwise:

Romilly
Romany
Romana
Ramona
Romaine
Romane
Romilda
Ramari

The only 'wander' name I can think of off the top of my head is Peregrine, usually used for boys but could be for a girl NN Perry

ETA or maybe a relevant deity:

Diana
Rhiannon
Luna

Edited by Gudrun, 21 May 2019 - 11:07 PM.

#20 jayskette

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:22 AM

Romy has less negative connotations then Roma.

#21 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:43 AM

View PostStylus, on 21 May 2019 - 10:32 PM, said:

I thought Romy was generally pronounced Rom-ee rather than Roam-ee. Seems I’m not in the majority though.
I pronounce it Rom-mee too

#22 Nasty Poobah

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:03 AM

As a diminutive for Rosemary (which is how I first encountered it) I've heard it pronounced both ways.

As a Hebrew name (Romi), only as rommy -- never Roamee.

#23 seayork2002

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:05 AM

I will admit I am not really a fan of any suggested or even this one really but there is Romie?

#24 Gudrun

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:10 AM

Wanda:)

#25 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:49 AM

I think of Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion movie. It would depend on how you feel about the characters being a bit air headed. The movie has become a bit of a cult classic so is still hanging around.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.