car accident and insurance,

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 José

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:58 PM

so today my parked car was hit and damaged, including tyre destroyed.
the damage was done by a person in a work vehicle, in the course of their work day, they left a contact number on my windscreen. i phoned the number and the person came and changed my tyre. they said they want to leave insurance out of it and would reimburse repair costs.
now, sensible me says no way, just go through inusrance, thats why it exists etc etc.
on the other hand, im thankful they were honest and left their number and came right away and changed my damaged tyre. perhaps the implications for a business of an insurance claim are signfiicant.?

WWYD?

what would happen if i did get the repairs done and then had trouble with reimbusement, is too late then to involve insurance companies?

#2 MurderBritches

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:05 PM

Don't do it. That is what insurance is for. You won't be out of pocket once your excess is refunded. It doesn't matter what they want if they are at fault. Use your insurance company.

#3 Malkin Slinkhard

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:11 PM

I’ve been in a similar position and I went through insurance. There’s too much risk if they refuse to pay or if repairs aren’t done satisfactorily.

#4 *Andi*

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:19 PM

Ring your insurance and they can deal with it. Someone hit me in his work car once. The guy at his work who handled it tried to screw me over. He was only going to write me a cheque for the quoted repair cost, regardless of what damage they found when they opened it up. He was obviously trying to intimidate me in his emails, so I reported it all to my insurance company and didn't hear a thing more about it. I'd absolutely be straight to the insurance company if it happened again.

#5 nasty snaugh

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:30 PM

I work in insurance

Call your insurer - the at fault party can choose whether or not they involve theirs

#6 Holidayromp

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:51 PM

I have extensive insurance experience.

Get your insurer involved.  They will act in your best interests whereas a third party may not.  You pay them premiums for this reason.

#7 ~J_WTF~

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:55 PM

I would make a report to the insurer and then get the quotes, if the bloke decides to pay, all good but if not your insurance can pursue it.

This is how I have handled it in the past.

If you have all the details, you wont have to pay your excess (if you have one) as you werent at fault.

#8 just roses

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:56 PM

View Postnasty snaugh, on 21 May 2019 - 06:30 PM, said:

I work in insurance

Call your insurer - the at fault party can choose whether or not they involve theirs
This. If he doesn’t want to involve his own (or work’s) insurance company, that’s up to him. But you choose to go through yours.

#9 CallMeFeral

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:31 PM

We've done this in the past. Let people pay the costs directly and not gone through insurance. It can put their premiums through the roof sometimes if they lose their no claim bonus. And given they were honest it seems a bit churlish to ignore their preferences. They could so easily have walked away.

But this said, given you can do this:

It seems like the less risky option. Hopefully your insurer does not charge weird extras over and above the actual repair cost. Perhaps you can ask when you call them.

Edited by CallMeFeral, 21 May 2019 - 07:32 PM.

#10 EsmeLennox

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:33 PM

I work in insurance

This is what I would do.

#11 Luci

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:46 PM

Another reason why it can be worth going through your insurance company is because sometimes the cost can end up being much more than the original quote.  

A couple of months ago one of the side mirrors on my car was smashed by a passing car. Put it through my insurance, had the car assessed initially just for fixing the mirror.  However it was an electric mirror, and later on discovered that the car's electrical system was damaged. While at the smash repairs they accidentally damaged something else. Then the spray painting machine broke down and the car had to be resprayed a second time. In addition to all that I didn't have the car for ages, and had to get a hire car for an extended period. Insurance company paid for the lot without questioning it, I can only imagine how much the final bill came to, must have been  a fortune & so much more than the original quote for just the side mirror.

If I had allowed the other driver to settle the matter privately I don't fancy my chances of getting them to pay for all that and there is no way I could have paid for it myself.

#12 *melrose*

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:54 PM

I would only let my insurance handle all matters.
There is no way I would get involved.

#13 Daffy2016

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:05 PM

I bumped into someone’s car a few months ago. They went through their insurance, who paid for to have scratches buffed out of their bumper because the driver was not at fault. The company then contacted me with the cost, as the at fault party. I chose to pay without involving my insurance because it was less than our excess. If it was more I may have asked our insurance to pay out.

#14 chillipeppers

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:05 PM

What happens if you only have 3rd party property damage? Do you still call your insurer to deal with it?

#15 Mollyksy

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:14 PM

Chillipeppers, I thought 3rd parry property only was for at fault incidents. I.e you are the one at fault, it covers the other persons expensive BMW. But it won't cover your car. If you weren't at fault, it also doesn't cover your car. That's why its cheaper, it's to protect you if you cause a loss to someone else. Your own losses are on you.

But check of course with your insurer, don't believe this random!

#16 Phascogale

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:00 PM

View PostMollyksy, on 21 May 2019 - 08:14 PM, said:

Chillipeppers, I thought 3rd parry property only was for at fault incidents. I.e you are the one at fault, it covers the other persons expensive BMW. But it won't cover your car. If you weren't at fault, it also doesn't cover your car. That's why its cheaper, it's to protect you if you cause a loss to someone else. Your own losses are on you.

This is usually what happens.  However if you have 3rd party first and theft, then there is cover if your car catches fires and also if it's stolen and in some cases it will cover your car if it's hit by someone else (or rather your insurance will liase with either the other person or their insurance company).

The point at which people have this short of insurance only depends on lots of things.  My daughter has this insurance.  Her car is worth $2K.  The excess will be close to that.  So if she hits someone else it's much better to pay the excess than to pay $10K in repair bills.  And if her car is damaged then the excess is what the car is worth so you'd be better off putting that money towards a new car.

#17 can'tstayaway

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:22 PM

I’d also involve my insurance company. I’m pretty sure in the fine print, I have to tell them of any accidents that happen to my car or I could void my insurance.

#18 laridae

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:33 PM

View Postchillipeppers, on 21 May 2019 - 08:05 PM, said:

What happens if you only have 3rd party property damage? Do you still call your insurer to deal with it?
Depends on the insurer perhaps but when my mum was driving my car which only had tpft and got t-boned she called my insurer and they arranged the repairs and chased the other person for us.

#19 chillipeppers

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:30 PM

I’m going to call my insurer tomorrow to find out. I’ve never really thought about someone else hitting me and not knowing how to chase for payment

#20 nasty snaugh

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:43 PM

Third party property, fire and theft policies sometimes have an uninsured motorist extension clause

Generally that type of policy covers you for damage you (or your vehicle) cause to other people's property, BUT, if you suffer damage from an uninsured driver or vehicle, your insurer may chase up cost for your damage up to a particular limit

If you have been not at fault in an accident it may be worth a phone call to see if there's anything you can claim

#21 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:48 PM

If you only have third party fire and theft, I guess maybe the car is only worth so much.  

It might be better to keep your options open and work with them directly. Quotes for insurers are usually higher and their insurer might want to write your car off and just pay you the red book value which might not actually pay for the repairs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.