San Francisco Accomodation

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Let-it-go

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:13 PM

DH and I have a kid free break in San Francisco to look forward to.  It’s a loooooooooong time since I was there so looking for any great accommodation recs.

Ideally:
Hotel room only, I have no interest in apartments or Airbnb’s.  I want fresh linen, bed made, no washing machine in sight and will not use a kitchen if I can help it :laugh:.  You’re talking to a person who, on our last kid free holiday, bought new knickers and socks instead of washing!!
4 star-ish
$400-500AUD inc taxes, tough ask as they are expensive.
Not a shoebox.
DH will be working at times so a desk and a bit of space would be great.  Inclusive wifi.

Most importantly, great location.  DH and I are all about location, location, location on holidays.  We’re pretty fit and walk for miles, DH hates public transport :doh: so we’d like to walk to restaurants, shops, coffee etc.  I love to shop so good shopping would be great.  I don’t really know if we’re better in Union Sq type area or Fisherman’s Wharf.  I don’t want to stay in FW if it’s all tourists traps and ripoff food.  If that makes sense.

Thanks!  We’re going in August so summer.

Edited by Let-it-go, 21 May 2019 - 03:24 PM.

#2 Coffeegirl

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:28 PM

We stayed at the Argonaut at the opposite end of Fisherman’s wharf. Next to the Fort Mason Park.    

Good sized rooms.  Trolley stop right outside.   Just far enough away from Fishermnas wharf tourist trap but close enough to walk to ferry for Alcatraz and you could walk to the bridge as well.    The hotel put on a happy hour every afternoon with free local wine, beer and canapés

We just took the trolley up the hill and walked back down.    

There were some great food trucks at Fort Mason on one night. Had a couple live bands and cocktails/wine/beer as well.  https://offthegrid.com/

Edited by Coffeegirl, 21 May 2019 - 03:29 PM.

#3 Let-it-go

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:34 PM

Thank you.  I have a feeling that when I searched the other night that hotel came up with a really good rate and I liked the look of it.

#4 eachschoolholidays

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:44 PM

We have booked to stay at the Hilton Union Square in July.  I also liked the look of the Palace Hotel.

#5 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:17 PM

We stayed at the Marriott Marquis Union Square.

It was all what you are looking for!

Would definitely stay there again.

#6 just roses

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:25 PM

The Coventry Inn on Lombard Street. Great location, free parking, renovated rooms, clean, good restaurants nearby.

I'd avoid Fisherman's Wharf if you're trying to avoid a touristy place.

Edited by just roses, 21 May 2019 - 04:26 PM.

#7 spannerset

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:28 PM

Fisherman’s Wharf is great with kids but I’d avoid it if I were you.  Go with Union Square.

#8 Let-it-go

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:37 PM

Has anyone stayed in Nob Hill?  Is the hill just too cray cray!!!???

View Post~THE~MAGICIAN~, on 21 May 2019 - 04:17 PM, said:

We stayed at the Marriott Marquis Union Square.

It was all what you are looking for!

Would definitely stay there again.

Unfortunately the rates are just off the grid for the weekend we will be there.  $800+ per night.

#9 Let-it-go

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:40 PM

View PostCoffeegirl, on 21 May 2019 - 03:28 PM, said:

There were some great food trucks at Fort Mason on one night. Had a couple live bands and cocktails/wine/beer as well.  https://offthegrid.com/

Thank you so much for this.  Right up our alley.  We are busy Fri-Sun at an event but there is one at the Presidio on Thursday nights so I’ll pencil it in.

#10 1ds1dd

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:05 PM

We stayed at the Intercontinental Mark Hopkins.  Was a gorgeous hotel, although very traditionally decorated. Service was exceptional! Be warned, the hill is INSANE. We uber'ed up and down but the views are lovely.

#11 blondie82

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:46 PM

Fairmont Heritage Place, Ghirardelli Square.

I'm going to be honest and not have a clue what we paid for it, but it was really great with walking distance to everything we needed.

Highly recommend.

#12 purplekitty

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:35 PM

Whatever you do don't stay at the Sir Francis Drake Hotel.
We like to stay in heritage properties and my husband booked there instead of the Westin on Union Square by mistake.

It was our last stop on a Canada/US holiday,he wasn't popular when I got there.
The look on his face was priceless as well as we hauled our luggage around ourselves.

I'm not bitter.

#13 lizzzard

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:52 PM

I generally stayed at the W when I used to go there for work. Great location. Ws are generally a safe bet!

#14 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:07 PM

View PostLet-it-go, on 21 May 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

Has anyone stayed in Nob Hill?  Is the hill just too cray cray!!!???

Unfortunately the rates are just off the grid for the weekend we will be there.  $800+ per night.

We definitely didn't pay that. But it was January, so off peak.

#15 humphreybear

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:22 PM

We stayed at Hotel Union Square.

No laundry or kitchen but free wine o’clock. The room wasn’t huge but we did have 3 kids with us.

#16 melbun

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:34 PM

First trip we stayed at the Handlery Union Square, our room was robbed, inside job.

Second trip we stayed at the Omni, after I’d torn my ACL skiing and was on crutches, they upgraded us to the California Suite FOC so I’d have more room. Amazing service.

#17 tiggy2

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:25 AM

We stayed at the holiday inn fisherman’s wharf and I would not recommend that area. So many homeless people everywhere and some of them were pretty scary - I got yelled at and followed by a guy muttering incoherently and another one swore at the kids from across the road.

#18 Jellybean 3

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:08 AM

We are staying at Handlery in July with 2 kids - top recommendation from our TA to suit our needs and budget.

#19 LoveMyMuffins

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:14 PM

Hilton and Hotel Abri in union square. Hotel Abri has a bedroom and a sitting room with desk and couch in the one we stayed at. We used to live there and definitely recommend union square over fisherman’s wharf. So much more to do and easier to get around! Go to pier 39 for some seafood but not to stay. Have fun! I miss SF so much!

Edited by LoveMyMuffins, 22 May 2019 - 08:14 PM.

#20 dolcengabbana

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:32 PM

Pier 2620 is an amazing hotel and we loved the location.
Room was large not a shoe box we had upgraded and had a premium breakfast dining area with included continental breakfast that was awesome. We would stay again there for sure.

#21 Let-it-go

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:35 PM

Ooooooh interesting about Hotel Abri.  We get a reduced rate there due to the event we are attending.  It is pretty much the only place I can find in the Union Square area that isn’t jaw dropping oh expensive.  We’ve picked a seriously expensive week to be in SF :doh:!

LoveMyMuffins - would you stay in Nob Hill?  There is a hotel I’m looking at that there too.

#22 aluminium

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:53 PM

Jellybean 3, on 22 May 2019 - 11:08 AM, said:

We are staying at Handlery in July with 2 kids - top recommendation from our TA to suit our needs and budget.

We just stayed here with our kids (early May) and found it great. We had a poolside room. Was fabulous. Good location. We called an Uber and got a lift to the wharf and walked back.

We've also stayed at the Bay Landing but it is out of the city.

#23 LoveMyMuffins

Posted 28 May 2019 - 03:42 PM

So sorry! Only saw this now!!! Yes! Nob Hill is very lovely!!! Very easy access into the heart of it all.

Let-it-go, on 22 May 2019 - 08:35 PM, said:

Ooooooh interesting about Hotel Abri.  We get a reduced rate there due to the event we are attending.  It is pretty much the only place I can find in the Union Square area that isn’t jaw dropping oh expensive.  We’ve picked a seriously expensive week to be in SF :doh:!

LoveMyMuffins - would you stay in Nob Hill?  There is a hotel I’m looking at that there too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.