What do you like to bake?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 seayork2002

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:46 PM

Inspiration needed please

I won't bore you with all the details except to ask what to you like to bake to eat?

(I have probably asked before but been through previous lists)

#2 Riotproof

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:53 PM

I like anything easy that the kids will eat.

#3 YumChaTheSecond

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:55 PM

Cheesecake, because then I have an entire cheesecake to eat. it's best I don't do it very much.

#4 First@35

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:55 PM

Banana cake/bread. Mine turns out like half half.

#5 cardamom

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:00 PM

I like making those basic, everyday, keep-well, low-key, crowd-pleasing cakes that go down well at a work morning tea, or to have knocking around in the kitchen for when guests come over.

Favourites include the smittenkitchen honey cake for Rosh Hashanah, Nigella's Coca Cola chocolate cake (so moist and easy, though I make it with a chocolate ganache instead of buttercream) and Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's berry streusel cake.

I'm a pretty competent cook but not artistic or creative, so I leave fancy cakes to the experts!

I also like making things that freeze well for snacks or use up leftover fruit - muffins, pikelets, banana bread, etc. Am also very partial to a chewy biscuit - Anzacs, chocolate chip, oatmeal, etc.

On the whole I actually try not to bake too much though - with only 2 of us here we end up eating it all ourselves which doesn't end up being too kind to the waistline. I'm not known for my self control.

#6 rainycat

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:02 PM

Banana bread, Hawaiian scrolls, zucchini slice... just quick n easy stuff for lunch boxes.

#7 Demera

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:06 PM

Basic family style cakes.  Not complicated layer cakes with expensive ingredients and fancy icing skills.  Just the sort of cakes that you can put together from cheap basic ingredients that I always have on hand that taste great.  Chocolate cake, poppyseed cake, lemon cake, banana cake, you know the type!

And biscuits... I love biscuits. Choc chip, ANZACs, shortbread etc.

Now and then I'll make a basic choc sauce pudding, or roly poly pudding. Dumplings too but as that's on the stove it might not qualify as 'baking' :-) .

For savoury - sausage rolls and mini quiches!

#8 PrincessPeach

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:20 PM

Packet cakes (I'm yet to find a nice vanilla cake recipe)
Jam drops
Cheesy veggie muffins
pikelets
Apricot muffins

If I'm feeling really fancy:

Cherry ripe slice
passionfruit slice
Lemon slice
Cheesecakes
Caramel tarts

#9 can'tstayaway

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:24 PM

I’m too busy and tired to bother with fancy baking these days. I also don’t attend many bring a plate type events these days so my baking is just for lunch box fillers and afternoon tea type items.

Scones, quick mix muffins and basic dump it all together cakes are my regulars.

#10 molinero

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:25 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 20 May 2019 - 03:46 PM, said:

I won't bore you with all the details except to ask what to you like to bake to eat?

I like to bake, and I also like to eat what I bake.

Which is also why I hardly ever bake these days.

My health says "no thanks."

But...my all time faves are raspberry chocolate cake and apple pie. Both must be served hot with vanilla icecream. Lemon meringue pie is also pretty good....

#11 BornToLove

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:25 PM

I make several tried and true things that are always a hit (links included 😁)

Banana muffins (add chocolate chips and/or walnuts to make the extra nice): https://www.nigella....-banana-muffins

Perfect chocolate chip cookies (every.single.time): https://www.google.c...frigeration.amp

Super easy chocolate cupcakes: https://www.recipeti...olate-cupcakes/

Traditional butter tarts (Canadian staple, plus this use frozen tartlet shells for even faster baking): https://www.thekitch...re-even-famous/

#12 Mishu

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:28 PM

Chocolate magic cake. DS's  request for school recess this week.

My favourites include Frangipane and Raspberry tart or apple spice muffins with streusel topping (my own recipe).  Oatmeal slice. Homemade lemon curd that I use in a number of dishes. Custard dishes (we have chickens so recipes that require a lot of eggs aren't a problem). Shortbread at Christmas.

On the savoury side: any variety of quiche. Savoury zucchini slice.

#13 hills mum bec

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:47 PM

Now that oranges are in season I’m baking lots of whole orange cakes.  Such an easy recipe and it gets devoured in our house:
https://trtlmt.com.a...le-orange-cake/
If you don’t have a TMX it can be done in a blender very easily.

#14 ainira

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:25 PM

I suck at baking but I've had great success with this cake mix cookies recipe: https://www.kidspot....at-rival-subway

The cookies taste similar to the ones from Subway 🙂

#15 Jenflea

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:46 PM

Mishu, does the magic cake go ok at school? Or is it a bit soft and squishy to eat?

#16 Mmmcheese

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:47 PM

Smitten kitchen has got a buttermilk raspberry cake that you change the fruits around in, and has worked out for me everytime. There was also a flourless chocolate cake in the Stephanie Alexander cooks companion that also worked out everytime. I like snickerdoodles too.

#17 WTF_SM3

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:58 PM

Pumpkin brownies because then the kids get some veggies 😅.

#18 ABabyPlease

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:04 PM

Choc caramel slice
White choc macadamia cookies
Choc chip cookies
Yo yo's
Choc cake
Raspberry white choc muffins

Umm I need to add some healthier items to this list...

#19 FEdeRAL

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:10 PM

Banana cake - it’s my holy grail of baking. So many versions out there, and there’s always bananas that are slightly too ripe to eat.

#20 Flaxen

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:11 PM

Pear tea cake, served with a dollop of cream. Made in one bowl and baked on a lazy Sunday. Perfect.

I bake lots of other things, but that's my favorite.

#21 cardamom

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:12 PM

View PostFlaxen, on 20 May 2019 - 08:11 PM, said:

Pear tea cake, served with a dollop of cream. Made in one bowl and baked on a lazy Sunday. Perfect.

Ooh, recipe please Flaxen?

#22 Just Wondering

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:30 PM

Anzac biscuits ... they are easy, they taste good, not too much mess to clean up and I love the way the butter and golden syrup fizzes when I add the bicarb!

#23 Flaxen

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:32 PM

View Postcardamom, on 20 May 2019 - 11:12 PM, said:

Ooh, recipe please Flaxen?

This is the link to the recipe, have to scroll past the blog post.

https://www.notquite...a-cake/amp.html

I do use less sugar as it's already quite sweet.
And make sure the dough on top is in rather small bits, and not large clumps or it breaks up too much trying to cut it with a knife to serve.

#24 Sancti-claws

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:39 PM

Looks good!!

I just finished cooking some spinach and feta rolls - they are always winners!

#25 sammyv

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:40 AM

GF brownies, Banana cake and raspberry and white choc muffins are my go to baking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.