Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:40 PM

This is the Scout promise we use when new members join:

On my honour, I promise
To do my best,
To be true to my spiritual beliefs,
To contribute to my community and our world,
To help other people,
And to live by the Scout Law

All religions/backgrounds are welcome and we frequently have cultural nights for our Joey group without discussing God(s).

#27 LittleMissPink

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:01 PM

Guides is similar.

I promise that I will do my best,
to be true to myself and develop my beliefs.
To serve my community and Australia
And live by the Guide Law.

#28 4kids mostlysane

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:17 AM

I'm a Joey Scout leader (the 5-8 yos) and we have a mix of boys and girls (although boy heavy at the moment, it's very much a swings and roundabouts - we've been girl heavy in the past).  In our group Joeys go for an hour, Cubs (8-11) go for 1.5 hours and Scouts (11-15) 2 hours.

Whether you choose Guides or Scouts, the experience will depend on what the leaders are like.

A PP also noted that the way we work and do badges is changing from this year.  My group was one of the first in the ACT to swap to the new program and I have to say it is fantastic for the Joeys to start "learning" all the "scouty" things straight away and not be considered a 'crafty/babysitting service" any more (by some people, not all).  However the advantage of scouting (old or new program) is the scouts can be as gung-ho as they want, or not and get all the badges, or not, and no-one will differentiate between those with badges, and those without - they all do the same thing).  The new program is also a lot more flexible and is much easier to cater ton individual's needs.

Our Joeys have kayaked, canoed, gone rock climbing, been on camps, sleepovers, we cracked open "dinosaur eggs" on Monday night and dug for dino bones.  Next week we going for a ride on the new tram and later in the term we're visiting a new firestation.  We've also got a camp fire in a few weeks, SciScouts on Sunday and our first every ACT wide overnight camp this September.  As you might have picked up, I'm a bit passionate about scouting !!

I've give the local group a go - Guides or Scouts - I know our group has a 4 week free trial before you need to commit.

All four of my kids have been through scouting, oldest started as a scout (through a friends), middle two girls were Cubs and then I re-started the Joey Mob and my youngest started as Joey, and is now a Cub.  DH is a scout leader. It's been the best thing for our family.

#29 WaitForMe

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:20 PM

A bit of an update.

She has been to two sessions now and loves it!

Only problem is, she came home with a form for a camp in a couple months time for two nights... she has never slept away from either DH or I before, and still insists one of us is in her room while she falls asleep... and yet, she desperately wants to go on the camp.

I'm also a bit apprehensive about sending her away with a bunch of people we only just met, too. But theres also part of me that thinks it will be good for her. I mean, this kind of stuff is one of the big reasons why I sent her along in the first place.

Didn't expect it to be quite so soon though...

#30 laridae

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:12 AM

Camps are fun. If you have a working with children check you may be able to go too? I know ours coming up later in the year they are wanting volunteers.

#31 *Spikey*

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:19 AM

Camping with your friends is different. My DD needed me to say goodnight and tuck her in properly every night at home.

I didn't see her for 2 days and nights on camp. So much for separation anxiety - only one of us had it, and it wasn't her. Oh, I was one of the leaders running activities, which is why I was there.

Just remember to pack her teddy, and a night light, and all will be good. (and glow sticks make great substitute night lights, FWIW).

Parents who cook, etc, are awesome volunteers.

#32 Fourteenyears

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:16 AM

View PostJust Jack, on 20 May 2019 - 10:17 PM, said:

Just curious if Girl Guides and Scouts are religious at all? Or nationalist/patriotic? That's how I've thought of them (though maybe I'm thinking of Girls Brigade?) - but I've really had no exposure to them, and now i have growing children and will be thinking about activities for them!

This question actually kept me from joining my son up as early as I could have.

But, while it depends on the group, I would say increasingly not.   At least in Australian scouting.

Certainly they are not nationalistic. There is an emphasis on being a good citizen, and an all round respectful human being, but there is no element of STRAYA about it.  And indeed explorations of other cultures, scouting in other countries, and mixing with scouts from other countries at Jamborees are positives of the scheme.  My son’s scout group hosted some Scouts from PNG in their camp at Jamboree, and met scouts from many other places around the world during activities.

Religion was an integral part of the founding of scouts and is still built into the promises, the old award scheme (which some groups are still on) and some camps.  And indeed is a key part of some groups (eg, there are Muslim scout groups, orthodox Jewish groups etc).    When it is, it is usually made explicit on that scout group’s website.

My kid’s group seems agnostic.  There are kids in it from Christian, Muslim, Hindu and atheist families.  They say the (nondenominational) prayer at the end of Cubs, nothing is said in Scouts, and the prayer requirements of the award scheme are quietly waived for those who cannot participate in them meaningfully.

#33 AdelTwins

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:11 AM

See if you can go on the camp too. At Joeys (Scouts) level all parents are expected to come and sleep in a tent with their child(ren).

From Cubs level and above you can still attend as a parent helper. You sleep in a different tent and help with meals/running activities. Scouts require a working with children police check and some online training about abuse/bullying and reporting incidents.

#34 MsLaurie

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:31 PM

Chat to your daughter’s leaders and see what they think. I’ve taken kids on their first camp, first time away from parents, and it’s generally gone well. If it’s not for a few months, you’ve got time to try a night or two with grandma or a friend or something to give you a “dry run”.
TBH I don’t generally prefer parents to attend where their main reason for offering is concern about their kids’ capacity to cope without them- because you’re not giving the kid the ability to try and explore the freedom that comes from being away from home. You’re also less likely to be a genuine extra pair of hands for the whole group if you’re looking out primarily for your child. That said, parent helpers who love camping and are willing to help the whole group are absolutely brilliant and always welcome!!

#35 trillian42

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:52 PM

DS6 started joeys this year and there was a two night camp soon after he started. He went on it, but with hindsight it was way too much for him - and he is very social and outgoing. It was combined with older cub scouts and just too full-on I think. He came back exhausted and very clingy, and it may have turned him off future camps.

See if there is an option for a parent to go along too, or don’t be afraid to decide against this camp if that is what you think works for your daughter. There will be other camps if she stays involved!

#36 *Spikey*

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:53 PM

Um, if they don't come back exhausted from a scout camp, we aren't doing it right, lol.

#37 seayork2002

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:58 PM

View PostCatticus, on 04 June 2019 - 01:53 PM, said:

Um, if they don't come back exhausted from a scout camp, we aren't doing it right, lol.

DS is going on Jamborette soon, the whole point it coming home exhausted (and unwashed!). This is why since DS was little he was shipped off to his granparents for sleep overs from the time he was a baby - no offense to him or my parents when I was little but we don't need to be attached to each other 24/7!

Seriously though DS has amazing times at camps and it gives him a chance to develop skills he might possible try if he was hanging off us all the time

#38 trillian42

Posted 04 June 2019 - 03:23 PM

I know coming back tired isn’t unusual - we were just surprised that for a robust, social kid whose had plenty of sleepovers with family, a camp early on in scouting was too much for him. I think rather than having fun, he was sometimes lonely and scared :(

It might be great for OP’s DD, but it also might not be. I’m endorsing that it’s ok to decide against the first one, as there will still be lots of opportunities in the future.

#39 AdelTwins

Posted 04 June 2019 - 04:45 PM

I’m really surprised that Joeys (6 & 7yo) are going camping by themselves. In our group parents must attend until 8yo. I even had to bend the rules a little bit for twins, as it’s supposed to be one-to-one care.

They then sleep in 2 person tents with one of their cub group buddies from 8yo. Parent helpers are off to the side in shared tents.

#40 LittleMissPink

Posted 04 June 2019 - 05:25 PM

Oh camp is so much fun! If she's keen, let her go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.