Charities advice

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 18 May 2019 - 11:42 PM

Help me mitigate (you know, a tiny drop in the ocean but it’s what I can do) the disaster that this government is going to be! We are going to be better off financially, so need to give to help the huge number who will not be.

Has anyone got some recommendations? Recently we have been donating haphazardly according to who has been asking DH, rather than sitting down and thinking about it. We need to give it more thought.

#2 can'tstayaway

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:03 AM

I’m a huge fan of Micah Projects. There’s a lot of information on their website and many ways to help.

https://micahprojects.org.au/

We also support The Smith Family child sponsorship
https://www.thesmith...sponsor-a-child

I believe education is important in helping people and this is a small way I can help. I was skeptical but then read about EB members talk about how it has helped their families so decided to sign up.

#3 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:08 AM

Follow your passion, is all I can say.

I work for a health condition charity, so it really only matters to people who have that health condition.  But it doesn’t affect most people who have it too badly, so they don’t care too much.  It doesn’t kill enough people, so the wider community don’t care either.

And our health dept funding has been shrinking for years. I’m very scared about our future, but I believe we do amazingly valuable work.  

All I can say is - give to what you care about, but think about the regular and ongoing donations.  I know people don’t like to be asked to commit to $xx per month for a year or ongoing, but it really makes a diffference to us to know that the money will keep coming in, even if it’s a small amount.  Every little bit counts, but the ongoing commitment helps us plan ahead.

#4 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:09 AM

To add, I’m thinking important areas are women, refugees, education and the environment. Any others?

#5 RynandStompy

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:45 AM

My repeat list most years is:

St Kilda mums
Share the dignity
Asrc
Love your sister

Also my friends son, Max's Big Ride (Canadian) , fundraising for research into and life extension for boys with Duchennes MD. As a family they cargo- bike 600km a year to fundraise. As one day Max will no longer able to be a passenger on his Dad's bike.

They're all funding grass roots help or research,  with very little  %  on overheads or high admin costs.

Most years I try to remember Fitted for Work, also there's a rare brain cancer charity that a friend of mine raises awareness of, sadly because she's affected.

Have done Smith Family about every 2nd year.

#6 Claudia Jean

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:00 AM

RynandStompy, on 19 May 2019 - 12:45 AM, said:

My repeat list most years is:

St Kilda mums
Share the dignity
Asrc
Love your sister

Also my friends son, Max's Big Ride (Canadian) , fundraising for research into and life extension for boys with Duchennes MD. As a family they cargo- bike 600km a year to fundraise. As one day Max will no longer able to be a passenger on his Dad's bike.

They're all funding grass roots help or research,  with very little  %  on overheads or high admin costs.

Most years I try to remember Fitted for Work, also there's a rare brain cancer charity that a friend of mine raises awareness of, sadly because she's affected.

Have done Smith Family about every 2nd year.

I’m on the board of one of those organisations and support all of the others. Thank you!! Your donation is much appreciated xxx

#7 ~TSC~

Posted 19 May 2019 - 05:29 AM

It’s really about determining what you are passionate about I think. It might be that all your charitable dollars go to one place or you spread them. One priority I have for a local charity, to me it’s important that I what contribute, stays locally.

#8 José

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:06 AM

can, on 19 May 2019 - 12:03 AM, said:

We also support The Smith Family child sponsorship
https://www.thesmith...sponsor-a-child

I believe education is important in helping people and this is a small way I can help. I was skeptical but then read about EB members talk about how it has helped their families so decided to sign up.

thats interesting. im also wonder about the smith family.
ive not encountered anyone who has benefitted from it or noticed it being discussed on EB before.

#9 Goldenash

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:29 AM

The other one I like is kiva. It (like basically every international charity) is not without controversy but the concept is you pick a person to lend money to and they pay it back. Ie a farmer in Brazil or Kenya or a student in Lebanon or a woman in Phillipines. The controversy is whether your funds actually goes to that person, but I think if you accept such a concept is unviable and take it more as an example it works.

https://www.kiva.org/

#10 tenar

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:05 AM

We support

The smith family
The Fred hollows foundation
The WWF
Amnesty international

#11 too tired to care

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:23 AM

i support small local charities that are running homeless , (including DV) and youth at risk refuges.
Given the government shut down almost all womens shelters by pulling funding I will support any local charity that is willing to support women and children trying to leave DV relationships.
I also support a child through compassion, although I am recently re thinking this as I am aware of the indigenous disadvantage in Australia of our native inhabitants, especially in rural regions. Even community transport or ability to get a car, licence, etc is almost impossible for them due to costs.
So I will be spending some time working out how i can support our own disadvantaged in accessing health, medical and other essential services, not sure how yet so if anyone has any ideas i would love to hear it.

#12 Lalala4

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:48 AM

Thank you for doing this OP!

I suggest choose perhaps maximum three to support that you feel strongly about (or perhaps everyone in your family can pick one).

As someone who works for a NFP, a three-year commitment which we can plan ahead  to spend on whatever is most needed is the absolute ideal and the planning time lets us make best use of it.

If I ever win lotto I would make 'untied' gifts that they could spend on the power bill or office loo paper or salaries - necessary things that most people prefer not to think about. It all supports vital work.

#13 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:52 AM

Lalala4, on 19 May 2019 - 09:48 AM, said:

If I ever win lotto I would make 'untied' gifts that they could spend on the power bill or office loo paper or salaries - necessary things that most people prefer not to think about. It all supports vital work.

This reminds me of medical research - getting grants for equipment seemed much easier than finding grants to employ people. I always wondered who they thought was going to use the equipment!

I can ask a friend for recommendations on local charities for women and social justice, but does anyone have a recommendation for an Australian environmental charity?

Edited by 22Fruitmincepies, 19 May 2019 - 09:54 AM.

#14 TrixieBelden

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:08 AM

Goldenash, on 19 May 2019 - 08:29 AM, said:

The other one I like is kiva. It (like basically every international charity) is not without controversy but the concept is you pick a person to lend money to and they pay it back. Ie a farmer in Brazil or Kenya or a student in Lebanon or a woman in Phillipines. The controversy is whether your funds actually goes to that person, but I think if you accept such a concept is unviable and take it more as an example it works.

https://www.kiva.org/

The controversy is not about where the money goes, surely? It's about the deaths from suicide associated with these micro financing loans.

#15 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:54 AM

This organisation seems to really fit what I’m after, local, supporting women and mental health. https://www.ruah.org.au/

#16 **Xena**

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:01 PM

We give monthly to Red Cross because we've seen first hand a lot of the good they do. We then also donate to charities as they come up- namely SIDS, breast cancer, give me 5 for kids, the local cat shelter and the local feeding the homeless.

#17 DaLittleEd

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:03 PM

22Fruitmincepies, on 19 May 2019 - 11:54 AM, said:

This organisation seems to really fit what I’m after, local, supporting women and mental health. https://www.ruah.org.au/

We have donated stuff to them before and they do seem to be doing good work.

#18 JoanJett

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:30 AM

We pick a number of charities per year, and the emphasis is education, social relief and a charity with an international impact.

The regulars are
Smith Family
Schools Plus (you can pick individual projects to support - we do this rather than contribute to our local well-off school's building fund)
Food Bank
Red Cross
A local charity providing for homeless
We contribute to an Indigenous Scholarship Fund at one school

We vary health causes year to year, and I look for the underfunded rarer diseases here, which don't have the advertising impact and aren't already well funded.  We also have a personal connection to a charity that provides direct health services in other countries, and we provide money and direct time/service to that.

We also contribute to an overseas education charity that we have a personal connection to.

Then, there are the "personal" causes that friends/colleagues ask for support for, and we donate some money that way.

#19 Meepy

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:13 PM

I donate to various charities including life saving vic, cfa and ses which heavily rely on a core group of volunteers to run essential services.  Without them a lot of people would be worse off. The ethics of using volunteers for these services needs to be addressed by all levels of government but until they are properly funded I will continue to support the volunteers.

#20 DaLittleEd

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:40 PM

I also like Australian Wildlife Conservancy. They do some very interesting work and we have visited one of their conservation parks.

#21 babybug15

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:47 PM

I find the following websites useful for looking at the effectivness of charities:
https://www.thelifey.../best-charities
https://effectivealt...ting-charities/

If you're looking at programs to offset carbon, this is useful & you can pick which projects to support:
https://www.goldstan...tory/who-we-are

#22 Twinkie12

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:13 PM

Check the ACNC website before deciding on specific charities.  

All charities with tax exemption are required to be registered and provide their financial statements on this government website.  If you review the financial statements for a charity available on ACNC, you can generally work out how they are spending your money.  You would be surprised how much some well known charities eat up in admin costs, leaving little for the intended recipients.

#23 just roses

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:21 PM

We support Compassion Australia, TEAR Australia, a local homeless charity and Ride for Refugees.

Also, an annual donation to UNICEF in memory of my friend's son.

Edited by just roses, 21 May 2019 - 04:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.