Do you have a bucket list?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 ERipley

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:52 PM

I used to, but then it all disappeared in a haze of child-raising. Now I’m just getting to the point I’m daydreaming about having a life again some day. I’m not really sure what I want out of life now I have changed so much. I still want to see La Sagrada Familia when it’s completed and I want to visit Iceland. I really wanted to go on the Orient Express but it has stopped running again.

What do you all have on your bucket lists?

#2 BadCat

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:04 PM

No bucket list.  I don't want a list of things I feel like I should do, even that I want to do.  I want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.  I want to change my mind,  I want to make it up as I go along.  I don't want a plan, I just want a life of my own to do with as I please.

#3 Renovators delight

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:06 PM

No. I don’t like the concept. It doesn’t resonate with me at all. The idea of having one stresses me out in fact.

#4 Lunafreya

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:06 PM

Sort of. Mostly travel. I have done a few things. Joined a medieval fight club, won a game show.

#5 Octopodes

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:18 PM

I want to see all of the things in all of the places.

Does that count?

#6 Riotproof

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:20 PM

I think it’s a bit crass for people who are healthy to have one. My understanding is it started from people getting terminal illnesses and then cramming lots of experience into a short time.

#7 seayork2002

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:21 PM

Not really, if I wanted to do something that badly I would just do it, there are a million travel plans I have that change pretty much daily but we just plane where we want to travel to and do it.

I have no desire to jump out of a plane, do snorkeling,  etc.

Sure in my mind I want to climb Mt Everest but no way on this earth do I want to do it physically

I think it would be cool to have a law degree but have no desire to take exams

Learning a language seems like too much hard work

I would love to see earth from space but i hear it is flat so that would then be quite boring

#8 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:23 PM

not really....there’s places i’d like to see, and some stuff i’d like to experience....places i’d like to return to. some stuff has already been crossed off the list. don’t know if it’s a bucket list per se

#9 Lunafreya

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:01 PM

Do plans for your own wake count? Mine will be a classy cocktail party. Dress to impress.

Edited by Lunafreya, 17 May 2019 - 05:01 PM.

#10 kimasa

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:10 PM

Nope.

Something I want to do now may not be something I want to do next year. I'm allowed to change my mind in things, so I don't see a point of making a list.

#11 ERipley

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:15 PM

Hmmm, maybe I need to rephrase this. Rather than “bucket list” can we say, are there, specifically, any places you desperately want to go, experiences you desperately want to have or things you really want to see in the world? What are your top 5?

La sagrada familia
Iceland
The Orient Express
A castle tour all around the UK
Swim with those friendly pigs: https://www.bahamas....e-swimming-pigs

I really just started the thread to daydream about lovely things in the world.

#12 Lunafreya

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:20 PM

I want to go to Japan, Egypt, UK, Europe.

Want to go to the US and cruise back from Hawaii.

Want to drive or be driven around the city in a convertible sports car

I want to write and finish my novel(s) and be published

Want to do honours/masters in history

#13 YumChaTheSecond

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:20 PM

Current dream is to eat proper yumcha/ dim sum in Hong Kong, and maybe also amble over to China to see the Great wall and warriors

#14 Chchgirl

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:22 PM

Nope, i just wing it by the seat of my pants through life and take it as it comes.

I've done a lot and will continue doing so, but i change all the time.

#15 ERipley

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:24 PM

View PostLunafreya, on 17 May 2019 - 05:20 PM, said:

I want to go to Japan, Egypt, UK, Europe.

Want to go to the US and cruise back from Hawaii.

Want to drive or be driven around the city in a convertible sports car

I want to write and finish my novel(s) and be published

Want to do honours/masters in history

Finishing novels is hard! Would you self publish?

#16 ERipley

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:27 PM

View PostYumChaTheSecond, on 17 May 2019 - 05:20 PM, said:

Current dream is to eat proper yumcha/ dim sum in Hong Kong, and maybe also amble over to China to see the Great wall and warriors

I know it’s not the same but in case you’re in Melbourne: https://www.ngv.vic....-cai-guo-qiang/

#17 Lunafreya

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:35 PM

View PostERipley, on 17 May 2019 - 05:24 PM, said:

Finishing novels is hard! Would you self publish?
Not unless I had to. I have written novel length fan fiction and I have ideas been stewing for years.

#18 MrsPuddleduck

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:52 PM

I absolutely have a list of places I’d like to go one day, and things I’d like to do. What’s life without dreams?

One place I’d love to go is Canada. It looks so beautiful in the pictures. Lake Louise, the Rockies, Prince Edward Island (yes, I am an L.M. Montgomery fan!)

I’d like to take my kids to Disney before my son stops loving Disney Princesses. Right now he is aaaaall about them. Haven’t really decided whether DisneyLand or DisneyWorld would be better. Maybe check out New York, but I’d prefer to do that kid-free!

I’d also like to go back to Venice, Paris and London and do a driving trip through Europe. The Orient Express idea sounds awesome too!

#19 ERipley

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:00 PM

View PostMrsPuddleduck, on 17 May 2019 - 06:52 PM, said:

I absolutely have a list of places I’d like to go one day, and things I’d like to do. What’s life without dreams?

One place I’d love to go is Canada. It looks so beautiful in the pictures. Lake Louise, the Rockies, Prince Edward Island (yes, I am an L.M. Montgomery fan!)

I’d like to take my kids to Disney before my son stops loving Disney Princesses. Right now he is aaaaall about them. Haven’t really decided whether DisneyLand or DisneyWorld would be better. Maybe check out New York, but I’d prefer to do that kid-free!

I’d also like to go back to Venice, Paris and London and do a driving trip through Europe. The Orient Express idea sounds awesome too!

I want to go back to Venice too, but with a big budget for a really big beautiful room.

#20 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:02 PM

Im a traveller at heart. I travelled a fair bit in my 20s. As everyone who travels knows, its addictive and you want to go everywhere.

#21 Dianalynch

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:18 PM

I’d like to be around long enough to see my children grow up...have lots of years with DH...that’s about all that’s important to me, I guess it’s not really a bucket list...

#22 ERipley

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:38 PM

View PostDianalynch, on 17 May 2019 - 07:18 PM, said:

I’d like to be around long enough to see my children grow up...have lots of years with DH...that’s about all that’s important to me, I guess it’s not really a bucket list...

I really want to take my family on my travels, show them the world. They are too little just yet but I really want them to share those experiences growing up. Is there anywhere you want to take yours?

#23 SeaPrincess

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:44 PM

I’ve got things I want to do, but I don’t have a bucket list as such. Specifically:
Renew wedding vows every 10 years. In Vegas by Elvis, but not while Trump is president.
Build a snowman
See the northern lights
Travel more, and to places other than France and the UK (most recent trips have involved milestone family events like my grandmother’s 100th birthday). Next stop (hopefully) Canada.
Establish a new career in or related to the field in which I am studying.

I’m sure there are others, but these spring immediately to mind!

#24 Octopodes

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:53 PM

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 17 May 2019 - 07:02 PM, said:

Im a traveller at heart. I travelled a fair bit in my 20s. As everyone who travels knows, its addictive and you want to go everywhere.
Absolutely!

The more I travel the less of the world I feel I've seen. The list is endless and impossible to order. The planet is too big, Australia is too geographically isolated, money is too limited and life is too short. I want to see everything... tomorrow.

Edited by Octopodes, 17 May 2019 - 07:54 PM.

#25 Goldenash

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:59 PM

View PostERipley, on 17 May 2019 - 05:15 PM, said:

Hmmm, maybe I need to rephrase this. Rather than “bucket list” can we say, are there, specifically, any places you desperately want to go, experiences you desperately want to have or things you really want to see in the world? What are your top 5?

La sagrada familia
Iceland
The Orient Express
A castle tour all around the UK
Swim with those friendly pigs: https://www.bahamas....e-swimming-pigs

I really just started the thread to daydream about lovely things in the world.

I totally have one of these lists

China - how have I not made it there yet
Mont st Michel (France)
Utah (driving)
A dig with the (now defunct) time team
A walking pub holiday in uk/Wales
The trip down the amazon (Brazil) and the salt lakes (Bolivia)

I could go on forever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.