• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#26 Jelly Bee

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:47 PM

For those asking, what I know about this person is:
Name
Occupation
Phone number and email

That's all, not address as police previously said i need to know to take it further. But I am unsure of the quality of that advice.
I was going to my local station and I feel there was possibly a poor culture at that particular station

#27 Jelly Bee

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:48 PM

View PostCaribou, on 17 May 2019 - 02:05 PM, said:

I doubt they will come after you. If they wanted to, they’d have done so a long time ago. They’re likely getting kicks calling and threatening you.

They (I'm very sure) smashed up the house they believed I lived in....  
I understand you're probably right but it doesn't make me feel any less terrified when I hear them saying "you %$^$&^& I'm going to find you and kill you" repeatedly

#28 Jelly Bee

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:49 PM

View PostMurderBritches, on 17 May 2019 - 02:11 PM, said:

Do they leave voicemail messages? If so then how can the police not act?! That is proof ffs!

Yes I've had tens of recorded threats and the police have heard them. Though admittedly not recently. I'm going to try again with a different police station now

#29 ELF_em_bee

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:50 PM

View PostJelly Bee, on 17 May 2019 - 03:45 PM, said:

Thank you.
I'm not on facebook or social media like that. Neither is my other half.
Yes, they know me. They are a close friend of my ex, and the harrassment began when my ex and I split up.
Over the time I knew them I knew them to harrass other females though never for as long as this

What an effing weirdo!
Sounds like they might have form and have done similar to others. I’m surprised the police aren’t interested, as your info could be related to other offences, or be used to show a pattern that could eventually build a case if things escalated (with you or someone else).

#30 Nobodyelse

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:50 PM

If you haven't already, start recording the calls. If you know the name and phone number (prior to the private one), it is nonsense that the police can't locate them. It is a crime to use a carriage service to threaten, harass or intimidate. Take the recordings to the police for them to hear. If they don't take you seriously, ask to speak to a senior officer.

If they continue to refuse to assist, take it to the ombudsman.

Their inaction is disgraceful.

#31 Jelly Bee

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:56 PM

View PostNobodyelse, on 17 May 2019 - 03:50 PM, said:

If you haven't already, start recording the calls. If you know the name and phone number (prior to the private one), it is nonsense that the police can't locate them. It is a crime to use a carriage service to threaten, harass or intimidate. Take the recordings to the police for them to hear. If they don't take you seriously, ask to speak to a senior officer.

If they continue to refuse to assist, take it to the ombudsman.

Their inaction is disgraceful.

Thank you, I thought it was but being told so many times there was nothing they could do I eventually took it at face value.

#32 Loungelizzard

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:57 PM

What you have been experiencing quite possibly falls under the definition of stalking, which carries jail time. Or at the very least you should be able to get an AVO against that person. It’s very odd that the police is not taking you seriously. I’d seek legal advice.
Btw, do you own the property that was thrashed? If yes, did you report it at the time?

Edited by Loungelizzard, 17 May 2019 - 04:03 PM.

#33 Jelly Bee

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:02 PM

View PostLoungelizzard, on 17 May 2019 - 03:57 PM, said:

What you have been experiencing quite possibly falls under the definition of stalking, which carries jail time. Or at the very least you should be able to get an AVO against that person. It’s very odd that the police is not taking you seriously. I’d seek legal advice.
Btw, do you know the property that was thrashed? If yes, did you report it at the time?

Yes, I still owned the property, it was rented out. It was reported to the police - the break and enter.  I didn't immediately connect it to the harrasment until I got a message from the caller alluding to it

#34 marple

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:06 PM

Msg your old friends with your new number and then ditch the old number completely. Absolutely no point hanging on to it.
After that go to a major police station and ask to speak to someone with experience of stalking/harassment, and take your recordings with you. Good luck

#35 *melrose*

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:07 PM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 17 May 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

I'd be looking at contacting both the telecommunications ombudsman & the federal police.
This!
There is no way I would put up with this.

#36 Luci

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:16 PM

If the police can take action on a report of a one off noisy party then surely they can do something about 8 years worth of illegal phone calls.

Other pp's have given you lots of advice OP for how you can take the matter further. One other thing that would be easy to do would be to phone the police assistance line and just make general inquiries. You can remain anonymous if you want. So ask general questions about what the process is for dealing with phone calls which are illegal - the charge would be "using a carriage service to menace, harass or cause offence"

So try to find out what the Police CAN do, what information you need and what the process is. And, what remedies are available to you if you are not satisfied with the Police handling of a matter. It might help you when taking the matter further if you understand how the Police process for this matter should work.

#37 chillipeppers

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:20 PM

Have you shown the police the message alluding to the robbery?

#38 Jelly Bee

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:28 PM

View Postchillipeppers, on 17 May 2019 - 04:20 PM, said:

Have you shown the police the message alluding to the robbery?

There was no robbery, nothing was taken. There was a break in and that wasn't a message it was a phone call I answered but yes I told them. They didn't care particularly as there was no proof. But I know and it's why I do feel scared.

Thanks for all the comments there are some really good ideas here that I would never have though of like the Ombudsman and calling the advice line.

Another thing thing I've thought of just reading this is that I've spoken to my doctor about the situation and the anxiety it's caused and been put on a mental health plan for that so I suppose that is also something the police could use as well as the recorded messages I have and all the texts.

#39 Freddie'sMum

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:37 PM

Far out OP - 8 long years of this would be terrifying for you.  

I would record / keep all the texts / phone calls.  Then I would go to sit in your local MP's office (and play them on repeat) until someone takes you seriously.

#40 can'tstayaway

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:39 PM

What about applying for a restraining order (or whatever it is in your state)?

In Qld a lawyer (or yourself) can apply to the court directly without the police.

#41 Jelly Bee

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:44 PM

I have just now called the Policy Advisory Line, thanks for suggestion PP.

They have suggested an intervention order could be applied for via the Magistrates court but thought I would probably need the persons address. That it wouldn't stop the person contacting me but would allow the police to act if they did. So same advice I received previously but at that previous time I was told I would need their address.  I am going to look into that further.

I’m going to go into a station as well as another PP previously suggested but not the one I went to previously which was useless.

Edited by Jelly Bee, 17 May 2019 - 05:42 PM.

#42 can'tstayaway

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:01 PM

Can you hire a private detective to find out their address?

#43 IamzFeralz

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:02 PM

You poor thing.  The police inaction is appalling.  Definitely go to the ombudsman or your MP.  Another EBer did this when police failed to take threats against her daughter seriously and things finally got taken seriously after that.

You’d be doing the stalker’s other victims a favour.

Edited by IamzFeralz, 17 May 2019 - 05:03 PM.

#44 RynandStompy

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:30 PM

The attitude of the police is astounding. She's very clear who she thinks it is, their name etc.
They say they can't do anything without an address? Are lookup or detective skills not part of their organization?

#45 Luci

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:14 PM

View PostRynandStompy, on 17 May 2019 - 05:30 PM, said:

The attitude of the police is astounding. She's very clear who she thinks it is, their name etc.
They say they can't do anything without an address? Are lookup or detective skills not part of their organization?

Earlier this year I was sitting in my parked car when another passing car damaged my side mirror. They didn't stop but I got their number plate and reported it to my local police station. The car was owned & registered in a business name, and the driver was away overseas. It took the police a while but they persisted and were able to obtain the details of the driver for my insurance company. Leaving the scene of an accident is an offence but it was just a small amount of damage to a fully insured vehicle.

Sorry I am waffling but yes you would think they could investigate the OP's matter & it would not be beyond them to find out the person's address.

OP could you get a photo to show the police from the person's Facebook page or other social media? Did the Police Assistance line advise if there are any other remedies available if you don't have the address?

#46 lizzzard

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:37 PM

In this day and age, how hard is it to find someone's address?

#47 Jelly Bee

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:10 PM

View Postlizzzard, on 17 May 2019 - 06:37 PM, said:

In this day and age, how hard is it to find someone's address?

Hopefully very hard as I’m terrified he’ll find mine

I have tried but failed to find his.

The police said without the intervention order there is nothing they can do but everything I read online seems to say this behaviour over this length of time is an offence

#48 Greatmum

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:15 PM

I would get rid of the old phone then it will stop??

#49 Jelly Bee

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:20 PM

View PostGreatmum, on 17 May 2019 - 07:15 PM, said:

I would get rid of the old phone then it will stop??

I don’t believe that. I believe it will escalate. When I passed the old phone to my partner I just started getting emails.

#50 nasty buddha

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:27 PM

My ex had a similar situation  of prolonged harrasment and death threats from a private number over many years. They would change their voice but we figured out who it was by piecing info together. It was someone who liked me, but I wasn't interested.  Borderline stalker really.

Long story short, police couldn't do anything.  My ex didn't want to change his number  because it was linked to several businesses.

I'm not sure if a private investigator can do more than police can to try and provide an address. Though, I would be fearful too with the break in you described.

I'm sorry. Some people are just plain #$%^heads and don't deserve the air they breathe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.