Heating children’s rooms

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Mooples

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:13 PM

Looking for recommendations for heating children’s rooms overnight.

We have 2 ds’s 3 and 1. Last year when ds2 was a newborn we ran the ducted heater overnight as I was getting up to feed so wanted the whole house warm. I hate sleeping with it on though. I feel stuffy and the clicking drives me mad. This year we are looking for a way to heat just their rooms as they have been waking around 5am already so I’m guessing they are cold. Our ducted heater isn’t zoned, it’s all or nothing. We don’t want to install split systems. What other options are out there? Dh is extremely safety conscious (probably heading towards ocd territory) and is petrified of a fire starting, getting burnt, getting out bed and playing with the power cords etc.

#2 Caribou

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:17 PM

We have ducted heating and we just set the heaters to 15c overnight for the whole house. I turn heaters down an hour before bed.

I hate to say this but just about every kid wakes up at 5am, cold or not. I’ve done heating overnight for the kids and it still didn’t stop them waking up at five. If anything kids are supposed to sleep better if it’s colder.

#3 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:19 PM

We use column oil heaters, they are checked regularly and in good condition, and are only used on low overnight. I’m planning to get smoke detectors installed in their bedrooms this year, as I think the ones in the hall would alert us too late.

#4 #YKG

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:20 PM

Can you close ducted heating vents? I have ducted heating in the roof and there’s a tab thing I can push and it closes the vent off in that room. I think floor vents have it more often.

Only other thing I can think of is one of those Dyson stand alone bladeless things that can do both heating and cooling. Expensive but might be worth it.

#5 Mooples

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:22 PM

View PostCaribou, on 16 May 2019 - 08:17 PM, said:

We have ducted heating and we just set the heaters to 15c overnight for the whole house. I turn heaters down an hour before bed.

I hate to say this but just about every kid wakes up at 5am, cold or not. I’ve done heating overnight for the kids and it still didn’t stop them waking up at five. If anything kids are supposed to sleep better if it’s colder.

We found last year 18.5 degrees was the magic number for them not to wake. This morning I was desperate for a sleep in so cranked it to 20 when ds2 woke with sore teeth around 3am and they both slept to 7:30 so I am willing to give it a go to get them to sleep longer.

#6 Expelliarmus

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:25 PM

I used oil column heaters with a timer on - Delonghi I think - and had it set to heat 15 minutes every half hour (or something on and off!) so it wasn't on all night but kept things warmer.

#7 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:28 PM

A small column heater and this heater mate. Set the temperature and that’s it! They’re brilliant. I set it at 16, my kids have big warm quilts.

https://www.thegoodg...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

(Make sure you wheel the heater itself away from the power point as far as you can though)

Edited by ~LemonMyrtle~, 16 May 2019 - 08:30 PM.

#8 Mooples

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:28 PM

View Post#YKG, on 16 May 2019 - 08:20 PM, said:

Can you close ducted heating vents? I have ducted heating in the roof and there’s a tab thing I can push and it closes the vent off in that room. I think floor vents have it more often.

Only other thing I can think of is one of those Dyson stand alone bladeless things that can do both heating and cooling. Expensive but might be worth it.

I might look at the dysons, probably still cheaper than the gas bill last year :omg:

#9 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:31 PM

View Post#YKG, on 16 May 2019 - 08:20 PM, said:

Don’t know about the OP, but when we close off vents they make horrible noisy squealing sounds as the air tries to rush through the tiny gaps. So closing them off isn’t an option at night time.

#10 just roses

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:31 PM

Can you just make the kids warmer, or does it get really, really cold?

We used an oil heater in the newborn's room (each time we had one) but just at a low setting to take the edge off. But we absolutely swore by grobags to keep them from getting too cold.

#11 JomoMum

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:34 PM

We use an oil column heater. It has a timer set to be on for an hour, then off for an hour, from about 12-6am. It also has a safety feature that it turns off if knocked over. We set it up again about 2 weeks ago as DS’s room was getting down to about 16.5 by the morning, now it’s about 19 and he sleeps much longer :)

But DS has never been the kind of kid to get out of bed during the night so we also weren’t worried about him getting up and playing with the dials etc.

ETA in the dead cold of winter (and DS’s room is in the front corner of a house so is the coldest in the house) we also put on him bed socks and a fleecy tracksuit jumper.

Edited by JomoMum, 16 May 2019 - 08:36 PM.

#12 jayskette

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:36 PM

wall panel heater. solves the OCD concerns and not stuffy.

#13 Magnolia2

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:49 PM

You may have already ruled it out OP, but we were in exactly the same situation as you (ducted heating, no zones, huge gas bills etc because we left it on 24/7 during the winter when DS was a newborn)... so we decided to get a split system installed just in DS’s room. Nowhere else in the house. His room is set at a toasty 18 degrees overnight, and he sleeps really well.

Meanwhile we switch off the ducted heating at night (the doona does the job for us!).

Obviously the gas bill has come down substantially - and the electricity bill isn’t too bad as a result,

#14 eggsbenny

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:10 PM

We have a Noirot heater which gives off a beautiful, even heat.  Have used it in DS1's room since he was a baby.

#15 Angelcandy

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:14 PM

We used a Dyson hot+cold link last winter in my daughter’s room. It heated the room quickly and kept the temp in her room very stable. You can also operate it remotely with an app on your phone. We got it on sale and overall we’ve been really happy with it. However, I think it was quite expensive to run (like most plug in heaters) and I find it noisy... the noise has never bothered her though. It came up with a filter replacement message about a week ago and when I looked getting a replacement they are $100 and need replacing every 12 months.
We have just replaced it with a wall mounted panel heater that we got at Bunnings for $100. We have mounted it where the kids can’t reach it and will have a power point installed next to it in the next week or so - currently the power cord hangs down the wall and I am worried about safety (I’ve moved some drawers in front of the cord for now). It also heats the room quickly, keeps the room temp stable and can be operated from my phone. It’s heaps quieter but my daughter has complained about the settling noises it makes as it heats and cools. I sure she’ll get used to it, I think perhaps she misses the white noise of the Dyson. I prefer the heat from the panel heater, I find fan type heaters really dry out the air.

#16 SummerStar

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:50 AM

View PostMooples, on 16 May 2019 - 08:13 PM, said:

Dh is extremely safety conscious (probably heading towards ocd territory) and is petrified of a fire starting, getting burnt, getting out bed and playing with the power cords etc.

This is me. Have never heated the kids rooms regardless of age nor have we heated ours. More blankets and clothes has been the answer. We didn't have our rooms heated as kids either.

My daughter wakes at 5 all year round. The answer for her was to put a digital clock in her room and tell her she is not to get up until the first number says 6. Worked well, 6 is early but prefer her up at 6 than 5.

#17 IkeaAddict

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:06 AM

DS is asthmatic and does better over winter when the air isn't heated in his room at night. His room is the coldest in the house as well because it doesn't get as much sun as other rooms

#18 Wonderstruck

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:10 AM

Another for the Dyson hot cool set for if the room is below 16. They're awesome and safe just pricey to buy.

Otherwise if the room is 16-19 miss 2 is in a 2.5 tog bag and no heater.

We had no ac at our old place and this worked well. Doing this at my parents while we house hunt as we find the deducting makes it too hot and hard to control.

I find those 2.5 bags, a singlet and a wondersuit makes them nice and toasty.

My DD wakes between 5-6am any time of the year.

Edited by Wonderstruck, 17 May 2019 - 06:12 AM.

#19 nom_de_plume

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:15 AM

We only have a wood heater and open fireplace in the middle of the house. The bedrooms are all on the peripheral. I’ve never heated bedrooms.

When the kids were younger we used sleeping bags. Now we just use a good quality feather/down doona and an extra wool blanket. We don’t have any issues with kids waking up because of the cold.

#20 Popper

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:25 AM

We use thick ergo pouch sleeping suits (DD is currently in her brother's old one for ages 3-6) and if necessary oil heaters in kids rooms only. DD still wakes at 5am but we are all early risers and it isn't due to the cold at least.

Edited by Popper, 17 May 2019 - 06:27 AM.

#21 Future-self

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:40 AM

Quality oil column heater with a safety turn off if it gets knocked over. It has a timer to just come on and then off a couple of times a night including the all important 4-6am. We have a smoke alarm in their room. It is placed away from the beds so no doonas or pillows or toys can fall on it.

And My kids definitely wake if cold and will sleep a little longer - as do many. They hate the cold

#22 ~J_WTF~

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:03 AM

When mine were younger and we lived in a climate that needed heaters. We used oil column heaters in each of their rooms. They mostly just eased the chill but the kids slept better with them in there.

It was so damn cold I think that house that in winter when you woke up you could see your breath. We had a wood heater in the main living room and a heat pump in the hallway but it did stuff all for the bedrooms! It’s not fun waking up thinking your nose will snap off because your bedroom is that damn cold!

#23 Riotproof

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:04 AM

We have ducted. So in winter I set it come on only if the house gets to what on the dial is 15 degrees. Realistically it’s probably cooler.

But, for our kids I always found that layering appropriately was best. Either a long sleeved body suit with flanelette pjs on top, 2.5 tog sleeping bag, possibly another blanket on top. Also, could have footed pjs as well,not the fleecy ones, just bonds cotton with flannelette pjs on top.

#24 Daffy2016

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:19 AM

We have the Dyson - just the basic, no purification filters or phone set up. It’s great because you just set the temp and it sorts itself out, so it’s not running all night, just when it needs to.

Very pricey but worth it for us - particularly for peace of mind. They do get warm to touch but not hot enough to burn.

#25 qak

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:27 AM

View PostSummerStar, on 17 May 2019 - 05:50 AM, said:

This is me. Have never heated the kids rooms regardless of age nor have we heated ours. More blankets and clothes has been the answer. We didn't have our rooms heated as kids either.

Same here, but we are in Sydney so it is milder here.

This house is 2 storey so tends to be warmer upstairs anyway (hot air rises, and more sun exposure up there).

If we do have the heat on, it's just downstairs for 15-30 mins on timer (ducted air) and that ends up rising anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.