Where to report unrestrained child in car?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ELF_em_bee

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:12 AM

The other day at school car line pick up I witnessed some ridiculous and dangerous behaviour .  A child, he looked just under school age, climbing around a people-mover type car then climb into the boot area.  The driver knew as she looked back at him and said something.  I was behind this vehicle.  The driver then picked up her high school aged kids illegally and sped  off, on the wrong side of the road to get around the other waiting cars - all with the kid unrestrained in the boot area!
I couldn’t see exactly what she was doing but pretty sure she was on her phone as she was looking into her lap. No proof obviously.

Who would I report it to? Would it even be acted upon?  I got the number plate.

#2 Soontobegran

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:26 AM

I would go to your local police station and tell them what you have told us.
I can not predict their response but you will have at least done what you can.

#3 overlytired

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:09 AM

I'd report it to the non-emergency police line if they have one. I've done it in the past.

#4 spr_maiden

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:21 AM

^ this is what I've done.
Though,  they won't do much without a licence plate number.

#5 Fresh Start

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:10 AM

I’m in Vic and was following a car with a small child jumping around from seat to swat. My sister was driving so I called the local police station and they transferred me to 000. We followed the car until they parked at a house and I gave the operator the address as well as he number plate, car description, driver and child description.

#6 Kavity1

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:11 AM

Do you possible know any other parent around at the time who may have a dashcam which you could add to the report?

#7 RynandStompy

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:39 PM

Several years ago I saw similar behaviour at my daughter's daycare. I didn't have the plate but DD kbew the boys name.
I went back into the daycare and at their office said "this is the boys name, this is what I observed, that behaviour is illegal and dangerous to the child, you are mandatory reporters and it's happened at your premises, and you will be able to identify the family based on this information".

They said they'd take care of it. Notices on car restraints went up at exit door and in car park. I don't know if they reported it further.

#8 Mollycoddle

Posted 16 May 2019 - 04:15 PM

View PostRynandStompy, on 16 May 2019 - 12:39 PM, said:

Several years ago I saw similar behaviour at my daughter's daycare. I didn't have the plate but DD kbew the boys name.
I went back into the daycare and at their office said "this is the boys name, this is what I observed, that behaviour is illegal and dangerous to the child, you are mandatory reporters and it's happened at your premises, and you will be able to identify the family based on this information".

They said they'd take care of it. Notices on car restraints went up at exit door and in car park. I don't know if they reported it further.

Even being mandatory reporters they would likely be told to get the person who actually observed the behaviour to report it direct.  CPS can't/won't usually do a lot with second-hand information.

#9 Lallalla

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:49 PM

I was talking to a lady yesterday with a foster son who is 7 but tiny for his age and dev delayed and autistic. He can escape his car seat and she had an enormous amount of trouble with him just the other afternoon. She can’t figure out how to restrain him safely. She said it’s the worst when they’re on a road where stopping would be dangerous. She’s also moved him to the back row of their PEOPLE MOVER because he was beating up siblings in car even when actually restrained.

For all you know, it is this very kind, thoughtful lady who is doing her very best in a very difficult situation you are talking about.

If you have any suggestions for her let me know. I suggested a Houdini Stop strap, but my 4 year old can undo that (thankfully not the kid I use it on) so I suspect a determined, if delayed 7 year old could too.

#10 SeaPrincess

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:52 PM

When I reported a daycare mother who repeatedly arrived with 2 children on her lap, the police wanted the time of day, plate number and ideally the name of the driver. I didn't know her name, but after I'd reported it 3 times, I did notice police vehicles in the area regularly at drop off time. The daycare staff knew about it, and spoke to her more than once, but none were prepared to go to court, so without police witnessing it, not much could be done.

#11 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:53 PM

View PostLallalla, on 16 May 2019 - 05:49 PM, said:

I was talking to a lady yesterday with a foster son who is 7 but tiny for his age and dev delayed and autistic. He can escape his car seat and she had an enormous amount of trouble with him just the other afternoon. She can’t figure out how to restrain him safely. She said it’s the worst when they’re on a road where stopping would be dangerous. She’s also moved him to the back row of their PEOPLE MOVER because he was beating up siblings in car even when actually restrained.

For all you know, it is this very kind, thoughtful lady who is doing her very best in a very difficult situation you are talking about.

If you have any suggestions for her let me know. I suggested a Houdini Stop strap, but my 4 year old can undo that (thankfully not the kid I use it on) so I suspect a determined, if delayed 7 year old could too.
Regardless, I hope that people are reporting this lady, just as the person in the OP should be reported. One can not assume the circumstances of others, or use them as a justification for not putting the safety of a child first. She can explain her story to the police or child protection and they can decide things from there. Who knows, they might even have suggestions/advice.

Edited by SkeptiHandsOnMum, 16 May 2019 - 05:54 PM.

#12 Etta

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:58 PM

A difficult situation which includes speeding off on the wrong side of the road while looking at your lap? Actually yes - I would find that difficult to do!

#13 limakilo

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:02 PM

I would report to the police and the school.

Lallalla, could she talk to the RAA or whoever fits child seats in your state?

#14 quartz85

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:11 PM

Crime stoppers.

#15 José

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:14 PM

if theres an agency involved she needs to talk with them.
even simple clips can be considered a restrictive practice and can require approval.

Edited by José, 16 May 2019 - 06:18 PM.

#16 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:35 PM

MYOB.

#17 Mands09

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:41 PM

OP you aren’t in Canberra by any chance? School name W?

#18 ELF_em_bee

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:42 PM

Thanks all, just made an online report to crime stoppers.
No, not in Canberra, this was in Sydney.

#19 Imaginary friend

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:28 PM

View PostImperatorFuriosa, on 16 May 2019 - 06:35 PM, said:

MYOB.

Really??

I think child safety is everyone's business

If something is clearly illegal and dangerous and puts a child's safety at risk, I think people should do something, not just mind their own business.

#20 nasty buddha

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:46 PM

ImperatorFuriosa, on 16 May 2019 - 06:35 PM, said:

MYOB.

As in mind your own business?
It is a crime. It should be reported. The consequence of not reporting it is potentially a little kid may be killed or seriously injured if the driver were to have a motor vehicle accident. The little kid can't report it. It requires adults around to advocate on it's behalf if it's guardian or parent is putting it's life in danger.

#21 ELF_em_bee

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:18 PM

Exactly PPs.

I really didn’t want to see a child die in front of me, no matter how unlikely it was at that very point.
I was behind this car.  If someone had rammed up the a*se of my car I would have hit their car and the kid in the boot! So yeah, it’s my business too!  
And who knows what could have happened up the road 10 minutes later!

#22 RynandStompy

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:53 AM

View PostMollycoddle, on 16 May 2019 - 04:15 PM, said:

Even being mandatory reporters they would likely be told to get the person who actually observed the behaviour to report it direct.  CPS can't/won't usually do a lot with second-hand information.

I didn't know that. I'll keep in mind if similar ever happens again.

#23 Nobodyelse

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:14 PM

View PostImperatorFuriosa, on 16 May 2019 - 06:35 PM, said:

MYOB.

I think we found the driver...

#24 blimkybill

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:24 PM

There are definitely options, but there are controls on the options available because they are considered a restrictive practice. There are a range of car seats and harnesses which are harder to get out of. But you can't just go and buy them, you need a professional recommendation. The mum would need to gt assessment and a behaviour plan to support this, from an occupational therapist. not all OTs will do this but if they can't they could point her in the right direction. The plan would include trialling options and also a component of teaching safer behaviour to the child.

#25 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:25 PM

if i could get their attention - ie pull up next to them in traffic and motion them to wind their window down - i would tell them their child is unrestrained, it’s dangerous and against the law - and cops are around and will fine them. if i knew they were school parents i would ask the Principal to send an all school email around noting that such a thing had been spotted and reading out the riot act (not naming names). that’s about the extent of it for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.