Solo holiday without kids or husband?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Frooti

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:36 AM

Annually, I go on a girls trip, without husband or kids.

We're skipping any more until 2020 because everyone needs to save (except me because all my other hobbies are free and I just save like mad for my holiday addiction).

So later this year, i'm thinking about doing a solo holiday to see a play that is a bucket list item. So far it looks like it will be for 4-6 days. I have invited my husband, but he hates to travel, so he said no. I have also done a trip myself this year with just me and the kids... but any more time of in school holidays isn't an option.
The kids cope pretty well when i'm away, we do lots of phone calls, they just get a little sad sometimes at bedtime etc, when they want mum cuddles.

Has anyone ever been on a solo holiday without the kids or husband?

Were you lonely? Did it absolutely suck doing everything by yourself? Was it awesome? Any advice?

I'm imagining spending my days walking and exploring, sipping cups of tea and reading in absolute silence, doing all the travel/touristy stuff that the husband hates, sleeping in...

Side note, I am totally aware of how selfish it is. My MIL thinks my poor husband is very hard done by, but he said he does not mind. He said he is just happy if he doesn't have to come (and it is also a bonus because the holiday costs half as much)

Edited by Frooti, 16 May 2019 - 06:39 AM.

#2 molinero

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:40 AM

Don't listen to your MIL. She is probably just jealous.

Go and have a great time.

Come back to your family happy and refreshed.

#3 MrsLexiK

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:48 AM

I did last year it was the best. I will add DH regularly goes away with his mates and for “work” (it’s work but his work is pretty leisurely he even admits that when it comes to this part of it - the other side is very physical). It was so good to be by myself. I had had very few nights away from DS2 as he was a monster (loveable though) I read so many books. Ate what I wanted when I wanted. Watched what I wanted! Now that was a highlight.

#4 Frooti

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:53 AM

View PostMrsLexiK, on 16 May 2019 - 06:48 AM, said:

I read so many books. Ate what I wanted when I wanted. Watched what I wanted! Now that was a highlight.

Yes, this is basically what I want!
I love my girl's trips, but even then, with the accommodation, there's always a couple of teething issues with a bunch of people who are all used to being in charge of their households, plus the mess! haha

I think it would be amazing to just be accountable for yourself.

Edited by Frooti, 16 May 2019 - 06:54 AM.

#5 WaitForMe

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:55 AM

I dream of it!

#6 MarigoldMadge

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:04 AM

I remember a woman I used to work with, twins, demanding job, etc, and she would take a week off every year in winter.

She booked the same place every year, on her own, down on the beach near the Vic/SA border, so bracing walks, fireplace, wine, books etc

She was the first person to make me realise it's ok to prioritise yourself when you are a mum; she died recently and I've thinking, in light of my recent separation, how I lost that lesson for a while, and I'm going to start doing something similar.

I love being on my own, decent sleep, no one touching me, talking to me, expecting anything from me; enjoy and make it a regular occurrence!

Edited by MarigoldMadge, 16 May 2019 - 07:05 AM.

#7 gracie1978

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:08 AM

I think it's a great idea.

I go to yoga retreats on my own.

A few years ago I spent three weeks in Asia on my own and it was great.
Slept all day or did tours or just got pampered.  Did loads of leisurely shopping.
Had an amazing time :)

#8 Octopodes

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:15 AM

I've been interstate to visit family without DS and DH, I wouldn't call it a holiday, more of an obligation. DS and DH were fine, I was bored out of my mind. I really enjoy the reminiscing and shared experience of travel, I don't get that if I go away by myself. I spend the whole time thinking "I wish S and H were here for this". DS and I go away by ourselves a fair bit. We leave DH to have a week/end to himself and have a great time just the two of us.

I get a fair bit of time to myself due to only having one older (12) child, maybe that is why I don't enjoy or feel the need to holiday by myself.

#9 Drat

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:27 AM

I wouldn't do it myself, but mainly because i'm not a fan of my own company lol. though after saying that, maybe I should..

If everyone is happy for you to go and you want to go, then enjoy yourself!

#10 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:30 AM

I haven’t done it but dream of it. The closest I got was going interstate to look after my father who was about to start chemo, while mum was going off to Europe to visit other grandkids (dad was meant to go but due to existing medical conditions would not get money on insurance so we told mum to go and enjoy herself while I took dad to his appointments). Dad ended up not actually starting chemo so I basically had a 3wk holiday staying with dad while drs tried to work out what they were doing.

DH went to the US for 48hrs to see a bucket list show by himself. I would have loved to join him but due to expense could not (we had FF points for one ticket only). DH still raves how thankful he is I agreed to his seeing bucket list item.

#11 IamzFeralz

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:36 AM

Following.  This is my long term plan as I am a sole mother and I absolutely love travel.

#12 jkate_

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:42 AM

Do it! What you have described is my idea of heaven!

#13 Claudia Jean

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:48 AM

I spent a week in Berlin and Prague by myself a couple of years ago while my then DP was on a work thing.  We then met up and spent the next 10 days together in Amsterdam and Paris.

I much preferred the week on my own :blush:

Go for it!

#14 zenkitty

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:51 AM

Solo travel is awesome! No need to accommodate anyone else! If it’s only a week I don’t think you’ll get lonely, it will be such a novelty.

#15 Entourageof4

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:58 AM

I did a couple weeks in Europe by myself, it was amazing! I think every mum should do it, I came back refreshed and such a better mum.

I missed DS and DH, but they were fine. It was good for them too to have some bonding time without me.

There were a couple of people who judged me for it, but whatever!

#16 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:06 AM

I am doing this right now on the other side of the planet and it is amazing.
Young kids miss me but they are ok
I extended a work trip by 6 days.

#17 Bam1

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:14 AM

I do solo holidays and it is definitely not selfish. I love the freedom of doing what I want when I want. It has little affect on the kids as they are used to being parented by their dad.

I say go for it.

#18 Jersey Caramel

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:29 AM

Do it!!! Your kids have a perfectly capable other parent,  they will be fine.  I find a bit of absence makes me enjoy my children more (though the first few days adjusting back into parenting mode can be a bit rough!).

One tip I have is to go places that are not child-friendly. DH and I try to get away for our anniversary most years,  and generally stay somewhere that is no kids allowed, or at least no kid facilities. We eat in restaurants that we wouldn't enjoy if we had kids with us, visit art galleries, book massages, go to non-family movies etc.  I feel less guilty if I'm not thinking "DSs would love this!" the whole time!

#19 carls888

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:45 AM

Oh this sounds incredible! I would love to go away by myself.

I often 'joke' (but not joke iykwim) that on Mother's Day I want  to go and stay in a 5* hotel for 2 nights by myself to sleep, read, have a massage, swim, walk, explore, eat room service or at restaurants that I like etc.

But a week would be incredible! I would be tossing up whether to go to a secluded place near the beach and relax or fly far away to a bustling foreign city and throw myself into it...

#20 avocado toast

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:48 AM

Sounds amazing!!

I’d love to do that - maybe one day when my kids aren’t so little.
Don’t feel guilty

#21 peckingbird

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:15 AM

Go for it!

We all need and deserve time to reflect, think and enjoy some peace.

Don’t hesitate.

#22 seayork2002

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:22 AM

I have done this before I had rugrat around I have been away overnight years ago when I took myself off to Edinburgh (we were living in the UK)when DS was a toddler and DH and I had 4 night trips away without DS when he was a baby.

I would happily do it again if I wanted to but we go away so much as it is I don't feel like it really

Before DS and DH I was away heaps by myself and traveled overseas by myself as well as interstate.

I have to admit though if you let what someone else says stop you you doing this if you want then that is on you not them. If you want to go away then go away.

DH has been away for football (soccer) when we living in the UK.

I sooooooooooooooo love travelling alone!

#23 seayork2002

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:24 AM

View Postavocado toast, on 16 May 2019 - 08:48 AM, said:

Sounds amazing!!

I’d love to do that - maybe one day when my kids aren’t so little.
Don’t feel guilty

It was when DS was little we needed to go away with out him the most!

love him dearly as we do but gosh it was good to get away!

we still go away without him now but sometimes it is because he goes away without us! (he is at scouts)

#24 AllyK81

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:30 AM

I went away for 10 days earlier this year. 7 nights with girlfriends in seminyak and another 3 by myself at canngu.

I loved being alone but I did get a bit lonely toward the end. I also had a few men at the resort trying to buy me drinks because I was alone that made me a bit uncomfortable.

If I were to go away alone again I would probably go to a health retreat/yoga retreat rather than a resort.

Who cares what your MIL says? Time away is time well spent.

#25 can'tstayaway

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:46 AM

View PostBam1, on 16 May 2019 - 08:14 AM, said:

I do solo holidays and it is definitely not selfish. I love the freedom of doing what I want when I want. It has little affect on the kids as they are used to being parented by their dad.

I say go for it.
This.

I do mis the family and think “oh, xyz would love this” so I try to preplan activities to keep busy. I love my time away and I love coming home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.