Excessive detail in news story? WDYT? TRIGGER - rape mentioned

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Ozquoll

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:48 PM

I have just read the following news story:
https://www.news.com...991f4d8292f29a2

It is a horrific (alleged) crime. But I am also shocked and disgusted by the level of detail in the article - it seems to go much further than dispassionate reporting of relevant facts, and is more like a prurient or voyeuristic revelling in the sordid (and quite possibly identifying) aspects of the victim’s ordeal. I can only imagine how she would feel if she reads that article. The crime occurred three years ago, so the victim would now be sixteen years old.

I have rarely felt so disturbed by a news article. Do you think It is worth making a complaint to the Press Council?

Edited by Ozquoll, 15 May 2019 - 09:48 PM.

#2 EsmeLennox

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:52 PM

Actually, no. It is reporting on the trial. I don’t see it as particularly emotive and it does carry a warning of the graphic content.

It’s high time the media stopped sanitising men’s violence and brutality.

#3 Ozquoll

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:10 PM

View PostEsmeLennox, on 15 May 2019 - 09:52 PM, said:

Actually, no. It is reporting on the trial. I don’t see it as particularly emotive and it does carry a warning of the graphic content.

It’s high time the media stopped sanitising men’s violence and brutality.
I agree the article is not worded emotively, my objection is to the sheer level of detail. To me, it moved beyond reporting the facts and seemed more like violence voyeurism.

#4 EsmeLennox

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:17 PM

I don’t see it as voyeuristic at all. I don’t think it’s designed to create some kind of sick pleasure from reading it or from writing it. It’s reporting what happened. Yes, it’s graphic, but it is the facts. Would you rather that it downplayed the trauma experienced by the victim to protect your sensibilities?

Edited by EsmeLennox, 15 May 2019 - 10:18 PM.

#5 Riotproof

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:20 PM

My heart breaks for this girl, who was quite literally only trying to help someone.

How is it voyeurism? I think it is offensive to try and diminish the incredible suffering and cruelty she endured because it makes you feel uncomfortable. Any one of the phases of sexual violence could easily be in a news article barely invoking comment. It’s confronting because of the sheer volume inflicted upon one young girl.

It should make us uncomfortable. And angry.

Edited by Riotproof, 15 May 2019 - 10:21 PM.

#6 Ozquoll

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:26 PM

View PostEsmeLennox, on 15 May 2019 - 10:17 PM, said:

I don’t see it as voyeuristic at all. I don’t think it’s designed to create some kind of sick pleasure from reading it or from writing it. It’s reporting what happened. Yes, it’s graphic, but it is the facts. Would you rather that it downplayed the trauma experienced by the victim to protect your sensibilities?
I would rather it didn’t go into that extraordinary level of detail. It seems to me to be a greater level of detail than is usually printed about violent crimes, and I cannot see the public benefit in it. I don’t at all wish for the victim’s trauma to be downplayed, but the article doesn’t mention the victim’s emotional state - it lists, in excruciating detail, what happened to her that day.

#7 EsmeLennox

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:27 PM

And that’s why it carries a graphic content warning.

#8 MooGuru

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:30 PM

I actually like that the article has managed to provide enough detail to try and remove victim blaming possibilities.

It was a horrific crime and the level of detail shows that the police seem to have a very strong case.
The only details I'm not comfortable with is the description re going to school and what the uniform looks like as it is very easy to identify the school she goes/went to with a quick Google.

Eta - i wonder if they are hoping more witnesses come forward?

Also many violent crimes don't have the sheer volume of locations so you might get the same level of detail but it isn't as confronting because it is only one or two places.

Edited by MooGuru, 15 May 2019 - 10:32 PM.

#9 EsmeLennox

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:37 PM

I actually like that the article has managed to provide enough detail to try and remove victim blaming possibilities.

This is the public benefit. It removes the possibility of being blasé about the crime and leaves no doubt that it was an extreme act of violence that can not be perceived or suggested as being provoked in any way by the victim.

I think it’s a step forward in how these types of crimes are reported.

#10 Lou-bags

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:38 PM

View PostMooGuru, on 15 May 2019 - 10:30 PM, said:

Agree with this (and the rest of your post and EL and RPs). I’d like to see more of this type of reporting actually. I think it might help to reduce victim blaming and force people to actually think about what it means when someone is charged with sex crimes.

So for me it’s a yes to more of this type of reporting of crimes, where the focus is on the offenses and not the perpetrator (by that I mean the ‘was such a good bloke, never would have guessed’ crap).

#11 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:41 PM

That poor child. :(

#12 ~J_WTF~

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:50 PM

I agree with all the other posters here, they have probably said it better than I but here goes....

I actually think more reporting like this should occur.

This crime has a mass of locations for a very very short time frame and they have all been listed along with details, it was a horrific crime and the public should know just how horrific!

That poor girl will be scarred for life, the very least we can do is read about it and not complain about it being too detailed...

I do wonder if what occurred at each of those locations was a different crime perpetrated by a different person and all were reported to the same level but separately, would you have an issue?

Edited by ~J_WTF~, 15 May 2019 - 10:52 PM.

#13 Oriental lily

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:54 PM

Yeah I like how it was written in raw basic facts . I am sure the defence will try and build a case about him being misled, confused , seduced .

But after the jury hears these basic dispassionate facts it’s really hard to think of ANYTHING ever justifying how that child was treated .

Yeah it’s horrible to read . But the broader public needs to hear it . Needs to hear how violent rapes occurs and entails

Legal terms like aggravated sexual assault seems dismissive and meaningless .

If this alleged rapist gets a slap on the wrist ( unfortunately often a reality ) the public has the facts to base their outrage on .

#14 Ozquoll

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:00 PM

View Post~J_WTF~, on 15 May 2019 - 10:50 PM, said:

I do wonder if what occurred at each of those locations was a different crime perpetrated by a different person and all were reported to the same level but separately, would you have an issue?
Hard to say. I do have an issue with this level of graphic detail about a thirteen year old’s ordeal being on the public record forever. It’s hard to believe that the victim would want the crime reported in this way.

#15 Riotproof

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:03 PM

View PostOzquoll, on 15 May 2019 - 11:00 PM, said:

Hard to say. I do have an issue with this level of graphic detail about a thirteen year old’s ordeal being on the public record forever. It’s hard to believe that the victim would want the crime reported in this way.

Why do you want to silence her? How can you think you speak for her?

Printed or not, these horrible things that were done to her will never be erased.

Edited by Riotproof, 15 May 2019 - 11:04 PM.

#16 Oriental lily

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:09 PM

The scum bag who allegedly done it would be the one who wants the horrific details removed .

The victim ( who will remain forever unidenified if she wishes ) had nothing to be ashamed about .

Wanting her ordeal hidden only reenforces the  idea she has something to be ashamed of .

He if guilty should be ashamed .

#17 ~J_WTF~

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:09 PM

View PostOzquoll, on 15 May 2019 - 11:00 PM, said:

How do you want them to report it?

It was graphic, it was horrific, there is no way to sugarcoat that!

#18 Ozquoll

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:11 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 15 May 2019 - 11:03 PM, said:

Why do you want to silence her? How can you think you speak for her?

Printed or not, these horrible things that were done to her will never be erased.
Don’t be ridiculous. Nowhere in that news article has the victim’s point of view been communicated at all. She has no voice in the media at all, yet. Only the graphic details of what happened to her. And although of course I cannot speak for her and do not claim to do so, when it comes to wondering if a sixteen year old girl wishes to have those facts splashed across the news so prominently, I somehow doubt it.

#19 Paddlepop

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:21 PM

It was a confronting article to read but it's important to get it out there what sort of horror innocent victims are subjected to, and for there to be no victim blaming or downplaying of the violence the victim endured.

I would like media to stop using the softer gentler term sexual assault and instead say rape if that's what happened.

When Brisbane had a bike path rapist on the loose a number of years ago everyone knew that it was a serious crime that was occurring to women. It the media had reported sexual assault instead I suspect that people, especially men, might not have been so cautious and angry about what was happening.

#20 Riotproof

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:23 PM

View PostOzquoll, on 15 May 2019 - 11:11 PM, said:

Don’t be ridiculous. Nowhere in that news article has the victim’s point of view been communicated at all. She has no voice in the media at all, yet. Only the graphic details of what happened to her. And although of course I cannot speak for her and do not claim to do so, when it comes to wondering if a sixteen year old girl wishes to have those facts splashed across the news so prominently, I somehow doubt it.

I think it is you who is the voyeur.

For once,  it is an article where we don’t have to read about him and his motivations, and why she was kind of asking for it because she..
For once, all we have is a list (graphic, certainly) of what he did, how he lured her, what he said, where he took her. He is the agent in this crime.

We don’t have the sad man narrative about how he’s a really good bloke who snapped.

You are right to feel upset by it, furious, even heartbroken. Your feelings are absolutely nothing on hers, and I feel it is disrespectful for you to pretend to be concerned about her as if you are protecting her from her own experience.

#21 Prancer is coming

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:29 PM

Have you ever read any of the sentence reports for these types of crime?  They are generally published on the court of your state’s web page.  They go into an awful lot of detail so you know exactly what happened.  I don’t see anything inappropriate about the information in this article.  

To tell you the truth, I sometimes think the terms sexual assault, rape and domestic violence get bandied around so much that people forget the horror of these acts.  We read so many stories about the woman asking for it, man wrongly accused or victim blaming that I really think people’s views become clouded and it is easier to blame than acknowledge the horror.  And in the vast majority of cases there is no wrongly accused perpetrator, and you can never blame the woman.  The actual reality is so many people get away with it and very few cases even make it to court.  This horrified me a lot more than any graphic content.

Edited by Prancer is coming, 15 May 2019 - 11:31 PM.

#22 Oriental lily

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:32 PM

Yeah if the Metoo taught us anything it’s that victims want their stories told . No matter how uncomfortable it makes people feel .

The thing that will traumatise this poor girl is the defence his team will put forward tomorrow .

I personally think she would be glad that people have heard her reality before the lies begin .

#23 CallMeFeral

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:43 PM

I'm conflicted.

On the one hand I like that it removes the possibility of victim blaming and doesn't sanitise, gloss over, or dramatise anything.

On the other hand I'm uncomfortable with the level of detail being reported in absence of the girl's permission to do so. There are people around her who will know who the article is about. She may come from a family where there is considerable shame associated, and everyone knowing the details may humiliate her terribly. Even not coming from a family that creates those issues, the things he made her do would likely have created a lot of shame in her, and the thought of her friends, uncles, aunts, all being able to access and imagine what happened could be truly horrendous to her.

I guess in the end I think her feelings should be taken into account. If she were prepared to approve such detail to be published, to highlight how horrible a crime it was and all the benefits people have discussed above, then I think it's good to report that level of detail. The girl who was victimised by Luke Lazarus and came out to talk about it was strong and amazing.
However if she hasn't been consulted in this then I think it comes pretty close to victimising her again. It's not fair for her emotional welfare to be a sacrificial lamb so that people everywhere can know how brutal men can be. She's been disrespected and disempowered enough. She should be given control over this terrible narrative.

#24 Sancti-claws

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:50 AM

Her cultural background, family make-up, age and school uniform have all been quite detailed, which is so identifying.

#25 molinero

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:49 AM

I signed up to read all of that nasty stuff when I studied criminal law as an 18 year old, so not much shocks me these days.

I acknowledge some ppl find it more difficult to read.

But there is a disclaimer at the top of this article which uses the words 'Graphic' and 'Horrific' and 'Rape.' Surely that is enough of a warning?

In any event, the details of this case would have essentially already been in the public domain through court reporting.

The facts of this case and guilt of the accused man seem pretty easy to establish. I hope the b*st*rd gets his come up-pence. Child rapists don't  tend to receive good treatment from their fellow inmates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.