Wood Flooring or Carpets

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 samandimmysmum

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:35 PM

Hi All,

Approx two weeks ago we flooded the back of the house as we accidentally left the bath running.  As a result the carpet that was in the hallway, and back two bedrooms has had to be ripped up.

We have had someone out to measure up for new carpet on Monday.  We also found out we could change from putting new carpet down to wooden floor boards (waterproof) once the insurance has accepted the claim etc if we wanted to.

The rest of the house ie dining, study, kitchen and lounge is all tiles.  There are two other bedrooms with carpet are at the front of the house.  One of those bedrooms we have asked for a separate quote to have that carpet ripped up as the water didn't get into her bedroom but her carpet is damaged due to our shower leaking and therefore the insurance won't cover that.  She has hay fever as well as eczema.

I am positive that the insurance company will accept that claim.  What we need to think about now is should we seriously consider getting floor boards put down in the back of the house as the insurance will pay for that or should we put carpet back down.  A few weeks ago we were talking about ripping my eldest daughters carpet up and putting floorboards down in her room instead due to her eczema/allergies.

I have always wanted floorboards and if we did do floorboards in the back of the house we would need to get a quote to get the rest of the house done, which I suspect will be $$$.  The girls have expressed they want floorboards also and would put a rug down in their room.  My girls are aged 12, 10, 8.

What should we do?? - floorboards or carpet

#2 IamtheMumma

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:45 PM

Floorboards unless you have below zero winters. Carpets help keep bedrooms warm.

#3 Karlee99

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:48 PM

After renovating our first home a million years ago and pulling out the carpet I will never, ever have carpet again. We knew the previous owners were pretty grubby by the state of the house, but we had the carpets cleaned professionally several times before we got around to replacing the flooring and I was horrified by the filth that was underneath. So I obviously vote floorboards.

#4 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:50 PM

We have carpet in bedrooms and floorboards for all hallways/living spaces.

With allergies I would go floorboards for the bedrooms.

#5 PrincessPeach

Posted 15 May 2019 - 03:59 PM

our house is floorboards & tiles.  Yep it's a bit cool underfoot in winter, but I live in Qld so our version of winter is nowhere near what further south of us gets (despite me feeling the cold). You just wear socks inside more.

Floorboards are certainly more allergy friendly though.

#6 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:02 PM

Depends on whether you are talking about having a wood laminate flooring put over the underflooring or a total rip out new flooring put in and the age of the house. If your floors are not very level and you are thinking laminate it could be very expensive to get the subfloor releveled etc.
I personally love our vinyl loose lay planks. If one plank gets damaged, we just left and drop in a new one. Been really good during our kitchen reno as we just relaid the planks ourselves once the cabinets were removed. Plus being flexible meant we didn't have to worry about leveling or taking off our skirting boards, cutting them and then haing to repaint them aterwards.

#7 Future-self

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:11 PM

I would never have carpet. Boards or equivalent with rigs then to “warm them up”. Rugs are easy to clean and even easier to replace if they get ruined or you want to update .

#8 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:12 PM

yeh i’d never go carpet..they get too manky, over time, even with vigilant cleaning and rules re “no shoes” etc

#9 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:16 PM

I’d say floorboards would be better, especially with allergies.

But beware what happened to people I know

They had their floors replaced by insurance company due to a bathroom leak. They have some sort of floating floors on top of a concrete slab. It had to be laid twice and finished twice. The disruption to their lives went on for months. The First time they laid it poorly and it all buckled back up. So it was all ripped up and laid again.  Then their son apparently walked on it too soon and the varnish wasn’t dry (I have my doubts about the quality of the varnish, their son is stupid but not that stupid) so everything had to be cleared and it was repainted.

They also had massive issues with the bathroom repair (which had to be pretty much completely ripped up tonget to the leak) And an associated wardrobe replacement (wardrobe was done twice too)

So stay on top of the details, floor type, how it gets laid, who is laying it, the cost vs carpet and who is paying the difference. Carpet is much easier to lay (apparently) than any type of floating wood floors.

#10 **Xena**

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:39 PM

I have timber throughout and I live in Tas. Love them and I ripped the carpets out myself over a decade ago. I use rugs and haven't found the floorboards too cold even with an old house :)

#11 Apageintime

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:58 PM

I have hard flooring in Canberra. It's fine.

I loathe carpet. It's so so gross

#12 Coffeegirl

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:20 PM

We have wood floors downstairs, throughout all the living areas and kitchen, and carpet upstairs.   I want to rip the carpet out and do floorboards upstairs as well, but I fear it might be too noisy.

If you go the floorboard route, and lay directly onto concrete, make sure the concrete is sealed so that you don’t have any moisture coming up.  It will warp the boards.

#13 just roses

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:34 PM

I really love cork. I may be alone in this, but I think it’s the perfect hard floor. Sustainable, hard-wearing, seamless and warm and soft underfoot.

#14 Dianalynch

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:39 PM

With allergies I'd go hard floors all the way.

#15 samandimmysmum

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:24 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies.

UPDATE:  We have now had confirmation from the insurance they have approved our claim.

I was talking with hubby last night and if we went floorboards we could get our other daughter's room done at the same time they do the other bedrooms and hallway, however if we go carpet we couldn't do the third child's bedroom.

Having said that I also mentioned to him that I would like to get a quote for the rest of the house (ie kitchen, meals and lounge and front hallway) but he says we couldn't do it money wise anytime soon and he was saying it would stay tiles for a good few years.. I am struggling to picture the floorboards and tiles together.  I have always pictured either carpet in bedrooms and rest of house floorboards or whole house including bedrooms as floorboards.

So, would tiles and floorboards go together? (I can't see it visually in my mind).  In a nutshell back hallway, back two bedrooms (kids) and also our third daughter's bedroom would be floorboards and front hallway, kitchen, meals and loungeroom would be tiles.  That leaves our bedroom and playroom with carpet.

The way my husband was talking, he is preferring carpet to be laid back down as he said he really likes the carpet we have chosen.  I am in two minds I am happy with carpet but also happy with floorboards as we can get the third bedroom laid at the same time.

I did say we could always have our bedroom as carpet only.

I am in a pickle which way to go?

#16 IamtheMumma

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:12 PM

What about lino in a wood look?

#17 lizzzard

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:47 PM

Honestly, I had terrible asthma growing up and I'm convinced it was because we had carpet throughout our house. I am really affected by it every time I stay at my parents and will never live in another house with carpet again. If your children suffer allergies I wouldn't be thinking about carpet at all.

#18 samandimmysmum

Posted Today, 11:57 AM

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

UPDATE:
We took home a sample of the wooden flooring and the carpet we initiially chose.  I felt the carpet didn't go and the wooden flooring was going to be too dark.  So we chose another which was lighter but unfortunately couldn't take home a sample so had to go with a photo.

As a result we decided on wood flooring in the lighter colour.  I love it and it was the best decision colour wise we made.  I wished we could do the rest of the house but will definately get our bedroom changed from carpet to wood flooring.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.