Sliding or hinged door wardrobe

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 StillDreaming

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:00 PM

Just wondering if anyone has feedback re sliding or hinged doors for wardrobes? Is there much of a price difference? Do you find everything easy to access in wardrobe with sliding doors?

I’d like floor to ceiling cupboards - approx 2m wide (possibly a bit bigger) with mixture of hanging space and drawers/shelves.

Any idea if I could do this for $1k or less? I’ll be looking for quotes in a few weeks but would love to hear what others have done.

I think I prefer the idea of hinged doors but if there was a big price difference I’m happy to do either.

Thanks!

#2 roseparker

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:06 PM

Not sliding. Ours comes off the rails on a weekly basis and drives me berserk. The smallest thing impinging on the track seems to bump it off the track, it gets stuck, and DH has to take it off completely to realign it because the b*st*rd thing is so heavy and clunky I can’t do it. Some days I want to kick it to bits 😆

#3 StillDreaming

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:08 PM

Thanks for that! That’s the sort of thing I need to know.

#4 WTF_SM3

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:12 PM

Ours come off sometimes too, but I'd always go sliding unless they're very large bedrooms.  Our bed couldn't fit in our room if the doors were hinged.

Eta: ours are mirrors, doors without can be a lot lighter.  Bathroom sliding door is heaps lighter.

Edited by *Super*Mombie3, 13 May 2019 - 09:14 PM.

#5 MrsPuddleduck

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:14 PM

Hinged doors require a fair bit of floor space to open outwards. We had to take them off in the nursery or everything wouldn’t have fit! It’s a small room. They do require valuable real estate.

#6 EmmDasher

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:17 PM

I prefer sliding by a mile. I love full, huge mirrors. I love that they don’t take up floor space. I love that I can leave it open and it’s not an obstacle I have to avoid or blocking light. Access has never occurred to me as an issue. If you have a 2m wife space you could have two doors with almost 1m wide drawers on each side which seems like plenty to me.

For those that have sliders falling off tracks, consider replacing the runners. They do wear out and new runners make a big difference.

We currently have doors and they drive me crazy. 5 year old DD has also asked for sliding doors in our new house because “they’re easier to open”.

#7 WTF_SM3

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:21 PM

Mine mostly come off because there's so much stuff shoved in the bottom of my wardrobe 😅, it shifts and blocks the tracks. I think the tracks themselves are OK.

#8 StillDreaming

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:23 PM

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone remember roughly how much they cost? I know they’re all different sizes etc I’d just really love an idea of whether I’d be looking at hundreds or thousands...

#9 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:27 PM

Our sliding doors haven't come off and we've had them for 5 years. 2 mirror panels, and 2 opaque glass panels. They're approx 1m x 2.5m each panel. It depends how much floor space you have, is there floor space available to swing doors open?

#10 StillDreaming

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:35 PM

I would have the floor space for opening doors so that isn’t really an issue. Price is though, however, I’d like something that I’m going to be happy with long term.

#11 Lifesgood

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:40 PM

We have hinged doors in our bedroom and I would never do that again. They look great, much nicer than sliding doors but they are floor to ceiling so are very heavy and we have had lots of trouble with them moving / dropping. They are also a nuisance as they take up so much space to open - if you have a large bedroom this won't be a problem of course. Finally, they were much more expensive than sliding doors!

#12 EmmDasher

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:45 PM

I think we did 2 x 700mm wide standard height mirror glass ones and it was maybe $400. Testing my memory though. You can pay more depending on what they’re made of, framing around glass, size etc but they’re really not expensive.

#13 Noodlez

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:19 PM

Our sliding doors annoy me to no end as I find it difficult to access the middle hanging space. If I had room I would much prefer hinged.

#14 JomoMum

Posted 14 May 2019 - 06:13 AM

Hinged doors don’t always need a lot of space to open them outwards. And even if you have sliding doors, you still need space in front of the wardrobe to actually stand there and move things in and out of the cupboard - I’d suggest 70-80cm or so to be comfortable... about the width of a hinged door anyway.

#15 qak

Posted 14 May 2019 - 06:49 AM

Are you looking at flat-pack or having a wardrobe built? 2m isn't very big. You could have a look at IKEA wardrobes.
I think hinged doors look more modern, and custom-made if you are talking about a built-in wardrobe.
Either way, the doors will need to be open a sufficient width for you to open drawers, so think about where you want drawers.

#16 Elly_Bells

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:03 AM

We just moved from hinged to sliding and I am not a fan so far. As PP said, hard to access the middle hanging space and DH and I can't both have our sides of the wardrobe open at the same time.

#17 Lesley225

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:07 AM

My hinged doors have moved and no longer close so are just open all the time.  

I'd much rather sliding.

#18 Abernathy

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:28 AM

Definitely hinged. With the sliding doors you cannot open your whole wardrobe at once and have a good look (you can only access half the wardrobe at a time). Harder to clean and sleep sorted.

#19 StartledFlamingo

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:35 AM

I prefer hinged, if they're ceiling height then you can also separate the space with 2 doors vertically- one usual wardrobe size and one up top for extra storage of all the junk you don't want to see every time you open your wardrobe.

With young kids I was scared of them getting a finger squished by sliding doors, especially underneath. I also find it hard to get to middle spaces and if my partner leaves even a bit of shirt sticking out his side (which he always does, grr) then I can't open the drawers in my side of the wardrobe.

Edited by StartledFlamingo, 14 May 2019 - 07:37 AM.

#20 just roses

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:36 AM

A vote for hinged! Our old master (now DS’s room) had a full walk of hinged cupboards. DH and I each had two doors (opened to face each other) for hanging space and then a door each in the middle for shelves. So six doors altogether. Then there was a full row of upper doors by enough to store suitcases etc. Each door probably only opens about 50-60cm into the room so takes up hardly any space. And definitely not too heavy. I love the built in look of them, much more than sliding door wardrobes.

#21 Romeo Void

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:46 AM

I prefer hinged if you have the space.  The sliders we had were mirror and heavyish.  I know this sounds weird but I *hated* how slow it was to get the doors open and get to things.  I'm so used to being able to throw open a door in a split second or pull out a drawer (and I do it lots of times a day) that that delay of puuuulling the big door aside became a pain so I would just leave the door open.

#22 Lesley225

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:06 AM

Am I the only one who hates the idea of mirrored doors?

THe last thing I want to do in the mornings is see myself first thing!

#23 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:35 AM

Hinged! I hate not being able to open both sides of my kids wardrobes at once. And they get caught on things that are poking out that little bit too far and then don’t open. And crud gets in the bottom rail and the rollers get caught on it. And they take up space, because you need the width of two doors at the front of the wardrobe so they can slide across each other. They’re so annoying.

You don’t need full width hinged doors. Our main bed has narrow hinged doors, a bit like a kitchen cabinet in width. They don’t get in the way much at all and if I want to I can open all the doors (there are 4) to see everything. They fit into the space you would leave free in front of a wardrobe anyway. And when I’m done I just walk past and slam them all shut in 2 seconds flat. Can’t do that with a temperamental roller door.

When I redo the kids wardrobes I might swap to the same hinged doors.

#24 **Xena**

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:50 AM

I have sliding in our room and hinged in the kids room. Far prefer the hinge and will be swapping ours over as soon as I can afford.

#25 Crazy4

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:52 AM

Hate sliding. I have no idea what is in the middle section of our wardrobe as I can’t access it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.