Anxiety vomiting- 11yo

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ~*Lou*~

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:16 PM

Anyone got experience with anxiety-vomiting in children?

DD has done it (I realise in hindsight) about half a dozen times, and as I type I think it will happen again in the next few hours. She complains of tummy ache at bedtime, can articulate what she is worrying about, will fall asleep after reassuring chat with either parent then wakes an hour or two later and rushes to the bathroom to be sick.

We are seeing a child psychologist mostly around how much she worries about sleeping badly away from home (grandparents, holidays, camp), which is exactly what she is worrying about tonight - there is a scout camp next weekend she’s supposed to go on. We can pull her out if that’s in her best interests but then it would be anxiety stopping her doing something she has said she wants to do.

Anyone ideas? Suggestions around the nausea? Any experiences with this?

Lou

#2 literally nobody

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:26 PM

Sorry to hear about her troubles. Is it possible for her to do the days at camp but you pick her up and bring her home overnight? My 10 y/o dd has a similar thing too but now that she’s older Im more swaying towards her deciding if she wants to go or not.

or can you get her a mobile phone with prepaid on it and she goes to camp and you do facetime before bed?

#3 RynandStompy

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:37 PM

Mine is 8 and does the same. She was meant to go to school camp in a weeks time but had a friend staying over as a sleepover trial, and started vomits from midnight til 4. It was either anxiety or some lolly she ate that only disagreed with her.
But now they're intertwined worse in her mind. We've had other instances over the years of anxiety and sleeping, but vomiting is new.

I have no ideas sorry.

#4 SelceLisbeth

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:38 PM

One of my children anxiety vomits daily. When his anxiety is really he will vomit several times and lose his appetite and lose weight. Once he goes back on his anti anxiety medication he bounces right back. I think when anxiety is bad enough to be causing that kind of physical issue then meds are the way to go (under supervision of a paed of course).

#5 CallMeFeral

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:22 PM

View Post~*Lou*~, on 12 May 2019 - 09:16 PM, said:

there is a scout camp next weekend she’s supposed to go on. We can pull her out if that’s in her best interests but then it would be anxiety stopping her doing something she has said she wants to do.

If she wants to go I wouldn't pull her out.

#6 ~*Lou*~

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:59 AM

Thank you for the replies. She says she now doesn’t want to go to camp, purely because she’s worrying about sleep (her words “being last person awake in the camp site”) nothing else about the camp worries her.

#7 José

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:05 AM

when do you see the psychologist next?
can you bring the appointment forward?

#8 Kreme

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:05 AM

My DD loves sleepovers and has no trouble with them. But around 11-12yo I actually refused to have any friends for sleepovers because so many were ending in sobbing girls with tummy aches wanting to go home at midnight. This includes my niece for whom this is her second home, and a friend who has been sleeping over here since preschool.

I know that my other nieces whose parents are divorced both had huge issues with sleeping at dad’s place around the same age, even though they’d been doing it since they were toddlers. The severe homesickness lasted for a year or 2 and then disappeared again around age 13-14.

Hopefully it will turn out to just be a phase.

#9 Jenflea

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:24 AM

Our school lets the kids go home at bedtime (it's 10 minutes or so away from the school) and dropped back the next morning.

DD was worried last year about camp so  said I'd pick her up at night BUT she had to try ONE night there(2 nights, 3 day camp) because she may well find it's fine.

Avoiding the things that make you anxious doesn't actually make the anxiety go away, it'll still be there next camp, possibly worse.

Luckily DD's excited this year(the year she actually goes to camp) and it's me who's anxious as all hell about her going away for 2 nights!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.