Combined pill in your 40s

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:58 AM

Just curious whether many ladies are taking the combined pill in their 40s?

Ive recently had my 3rd and definately last child at 42. I want to go back on the pill as it helps a lot with heavy periods but I gather its a stroke risk particularly after you get to 45. Im a healthy, exercising non smoker.

Obviously I will discuss with my GP but was curious at what age others stopped taking the pill.

(tried mirena and it had lots of side effects for me)

#2 AdelTwins

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:08 AM

I spoke to my GP about it recently as I am about to hit my 40s. Because I have PCOS, he said staying on the pill was a better option for me. Without the pill I have very irregular and heavy periods and need medication to stop the excessive bleeding.

#3 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:24 AM

View PostAdelTwins, on 12 May 2019 - 10:08 AM, said:

I spoke to my GP about it recently as I am about to hit my 40s. Because I have PCOS, he said staying on the pill was a better option for me. Without the pill I have very irregular and heavy periods and need medication to stop the excessive bleeding.

Thanks for sharing. Did he suggest an age where you will need to stop taking it?

#4 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:36 AM

I'm 44 on the mini pill (Yasmin), also because periods = time off work/life. Stuff that for a joke!

Doc hasn't said anything about stopping.

#5 BusbyWilkes

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:43 AM

I had an endometrial ablation in my early 40s for increasingly heavy periods and it was life changing. No more periods, no more cramping. If you are definitely finished with having babies, this could be an option to discuss with your Dr.

#6 WTFJerk

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:36 AM

I’m on the pill - Leven.  I’ll be staying on it until menopause.  GP endorsed, no risk factors.

My GP is doing the same.  She just takes an aspirin before flying (despite knowing its not necessary and is an OTT precaution).

#7 Moukmouk

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:02 PM

I’m 44 and have been on the pill for 26 years, apart from TTC, pregnancy and breastfeeding. Mirena was horrible for me. Off the pill I get hugely heavy periods and a 21 day cycle. On it (I’m on yaz) they are still heavy but life is way more manageable. GP hasn’t said anything about stopping. I think I might go straight from the pill to HRT.

#8 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:02 PM

View PostBusbyWilkes, on 12 May 2019 - 10:43 AM, said:

I had an endometrial ablation in my early 40s for increasingly heavy periods and it was life changing. No more periods, no more cramping. If you are definitely finished with having babies, this could be an option to discuss with your Dr.

I hadnt thought of this, thanks for mentioning it.

#9 Chchgirl

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:13 PM

My dr wanted me to stop in my mid 40's, then I was using depo provera for a few years.

I was upset last year when I turned 50 and she wouldn't give it to me again due to the increased risks, that was the first time I felt my age!!

I loved it, I don't need it for contraception as I'm not partnered but loved the lack of periods. I've been on nothing the last year and am still getting my period and ovulating regularly,  and I'm 51 next month!

#10 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:15 PM

I was taking it into my early forties, but I developed high blood pressure so it was not safe to continue.  I have had a Mirena inserted instead, which I much prefer.

Edited by Tinkle Splashes, 12 May 2019 - 12:15 PM.

#11 AdelTwins

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:33 PM

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 12 May 2019 - 10:24 AM, said:

Thanks for sharing. Did he suggest an age where you will need to stop taking it?

No, he said we will take it year by year. If I’m anything like my mum I’ll keep having periods into my 50’s. So either ablation or hysterectomy could be on the cards.

DS3 is only 1, so I’m not quite ready to shut the shop for good.

#12 Chchgirl

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:34 PM

View PostTinkle Splashes, on 12 May 2019 - 12:15 PM, said:

I was taking it into my early forties, but I developed high blood pressure so it was not safe to continue.  I have had a Mirena inserted instead, which I much prefer.

My dr suggested one of these, I thought about it but since I don't need contraception I thought I'd ride it out and see what happens naturally.

#13 jessiesgirl

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:40 PM

I am 48 and just switched to the mini pill after being on the combined pill for years.  GP wanted me to stay on the combined pill but I asked the gynae who did my Pap smear and she said not generally suitable for women my age, so I switched last month.  I tried Depo for 8 months or so a while back but it killed my libido.  I can’t have a Mirena.

#14 grumpybum1

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:42 PM

I'm 46 still taking it. Have regular GP visits to monitor but her advice was that if you have low - zero of the risk factors than its fine up until 50.Have been on it for several years, when went off it early 40s I had the worst periods, SOO heavy and all over the place so GP recommended going back on. Back on the pill, periods are regular and much lighter. As a bonus, it helps to reduce / eliminate perimenopausal symptoms which is why I take it, not really for contraceptive. Although as my GP said, there's still a chance!

Of course get your own medical advice but from memory the risk factors she mentioned were high blood pressure, overweight, history of stroke (self or family), smoker.There might be more that's what I remember.

Edited by grumpybum1, 12 May 2019 - 12:44 PM.

#15 EsmeLennox

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:45 PM

I’ve taken the pill on and off in my 40s (and post 45). I think it depends on what other risk factors you may have as to how much of a concern taking the pill is. Eg, blood pressure, weight, any history of blood clots etc.

#16 Babetty

Posted 12 May 2019 - 01:47 PM

I'm prone to migraines - not massively bad, but that was enough to make my GP really keen to get me off it once I was 40.

I'd tried Mirena after having DD (at 35) and hated it and had it removed at 3 months, so tried Implanon and hated it and decided to give Mirena another go, and it's been fantastic! DH also had the snip when I had Mirena inserted, the logic being that if I needed the Mirena removed it would at least see us through until he got the post-snip all clear, but I was hoping that the Mirena would work out for fewer and lighter periods, and it has.

ETA: non smoker, healthy weight, normal blood pressure so occasional migraines were my only additional risk factor

Edited by Babetty, 12 May 2019 - 01:48 PM.

#17 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 12 May 2019 - 01:58 PM

View PostBabetty, on 12 May 2019 - 01:47 PM, said:

ETA: non smoker, healthy weight, normal blood pressure so occasional migraines were my only additional risk factor

Oh Bum. Migraines are the risk factor I had forgotten about. I am the same as you and blood pressure etc are good but I suspect I will have the same advice about the pill.

Edited by WannabeMasterchef, 12 May 2019 - 01:59 PM.

#18 Babetty

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:36 PM

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 12 May 2019 - 01:58 PM, said:

Oh Bum. Migraines are the risk factor I had forgotten about. I am the same as you and blood pressure etc are good but I suspect I will have the same advice about the pill.

What side effects did you have from Mirena? I hated mine first time round, but loving it now

#19 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:09 PM

I went to Implanon until DH got the snip.

I get migraines and Implanon was not bad for me. I hardly had bleeding over the 5 years I had one (so had 2 Implanon implants).

Now DH is snipped and I am dealing with natural hormones... let’s just say I now see an Endocrinologist as my hormones are totally stuffed.

#20 PrincessPeach

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:45 PM

I'm not even 40 yet & my current GP is reluctant for me to be on the combined pill, she is pushing the Mirena. im not keen on the idea, so very happy to see that it's not that big an issue to stay on it.

#21 Babetty

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:51 PM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 12 May 2019 - 04:09 PM, said:

Now DH is snipped and I am dealing with natural hormones... let’s just say I now see an Endocrinologist as my hormones are totally stuffed.

That's why I have a Mirena even though DH is snipped - don't want to deal with natural hormones!

#22 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:08 PM

View PostBabetty, on 12 May 2019 - 03:36 PM, said:

What side effects did you have from Mirena? I hated mine first time round, but loving it now

Weight gain, slow bleeding for months,hearburn and back pain. I gave it a good 9 months to settle too but was worried about anaemia. It did fix the period pain issues obviously as there wasn't a period as such!

Doctors will tell you it 'cant' cause those symptoms but the symptoms began to right themselves as soon as I had it taken out.

I had side effects from the pill too, but more bearable ones.

-ETA I am aware mirena is great for some. I know a few people that love theirs.

Edited by WannabeMasterchef, 12 May 2019 - 08:08 PM.

#23 ERipley

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:22 PM

OP I was on the pill for years before having children. Then after 2 years of trying, 6 years of pregnancy/breastfeeding my period came back with a vengeance. Now I have adenomyosis and awful PMS. I went on the combined pill at 38 and after days of crying my eyes out and falling asleep mid afternoon and barely having the energy to do anything I went off it again. It brought back memories of a general down feeling I had for years prior to having children. For me it’s absolutely evil and I’m waiting for an ablation.

#24 ERipley

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:24 PM

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 12 May 2019 - 08:08 PM, said:

Weight gain, slow bleeding for months,hearburn and back pain. I gave it a good 9 months to settle too but was worried about anaemia. It did fix the period pain issues obviously as there wasn't a period as such!

Doctors will tell you it 'cant' cause those symptoms but the symptoms began to right themselves as soon as I had it taken out.

I had side effects from the pill too, but more bearable ones.

-ETA I am aware mirena is great for some. I know a few people that love theirs.

My obstetrician was upfront that she has to remove the mirena a lot because about 5% of women have such a bad reaction to it. I was pretty upset about having bad PMS and she said it’s not worth risking it.

#25 ERipley

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:30 PM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 12 May 2019 - 04:09 PM, said:

I went to Implanon until DH got the snip.

I get migraines and Implanon was not bad for me. I hardly had bleeding over the 5 years I had one (so had 2 Implanon implants).

Is your endocrinologist helpful? I went to the gp about my horrible PMS and said I wanted to see an endocrinologist about it. She refused to give me a referral and gave me a prescription for antidepressants instead! I didn’t take them. My obstetrician was shocked when I told her. I still haven’t got around to seeing an endocrinologist though as I’m managing with diet and vitamins for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.