For mothers day I got...

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#26 Mooples

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:55 AM

I did get some lovely gifts and went out for lunch yesterday as dh is working today. At 4am my 3 year old started vomiting and he and I haven’t slept since. Dh has gone off to work so I’ll spend the day trying to entertain him (hoping he will have a nap soon) and trying to keep the 1 year old (who doesn’t understand the concept of sharing germs) away from him. Sorry to all of those having a crappy day.

#27 Once Was A Pom

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:58 AM

Last week I was at the Post Office collecting a saucepan set that I'd ordered through FlyBuys. The man behind the counter asked if it was my Mother's Day present - because if it was, it counts as work and so I should go and buy myself something nice!!

#28 Mose

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:58 AM

New slippers as requested.

They are lined with sheepskin. I am allergic to lanolin. Chief purchaser has known this fact for 20 years.

Now I need to find really long socks to wear under them to ensure none of the sheepskin ever touches my skin.

I am happy though - DH and DS clearly put time and thought into exactly what I might like, but failed to notice this one detail. (DH realised the second I looked at them).

#29 Octopodes

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:06 AM

View Postkimasa, on 12 May 2019 - 08:04 AM, said:

A mug that says "I love my grandkids".

Clearly no one was giving the preps a hand at the mothers day stall.
I got an empty gift bag and a blank card one year from the mothers day stall.  DS admitted he found the experience overwhelming and confusing. We stopped sending money for the stalls after that. Now one parent takes him shopping for the other depending on which 'parent day' it is. He finds that a lot less stressful.

#30 Catzilla

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:07 AM

A plant pot decorated by DD at kindy, with some unidentified plant in it, and a card she decorated herself.

I have tickets for DD and I to go to a high tea this afternoon, and DH I think has something else for me but I haven't been given it yet.

#31 Wonderstruck

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:13 AM

I'm now told a date night has been organised i.e. he has secured baby sitting from his dad who is always willing- I feel like that is more for him than me as I work full time so I generally am too tired to get out.

I think my main annoyance is the lack of effort/thought. DD is 2 so cant shop/plan and we did low waste gifts for the grandmothers (charity gift and some handcream) so it should have been easy for him to organise similar.

People were talking about it at work and there are a few with school aged kids who buy from mothers day stalls and as DD is young I think people are interested.

I'm sound like a grump I know.

#32 Lees75

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:21 AM

POPULAR

I haven’t got out of bed yet, but I just received this Facebook post from XH.....

Happy Mother’s Day Lisa...we did good. If the kids don’t spoil you today, I’ll confiscate their phones.

#33 Kreme

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:22 AM

I’m sorry for all those who feel let down today. It’s not much to ask to have one day to feel loved and special.

I had a crappy mother’s day a few years ago and ended up in tears. DH realised he was being a selfish so and so and it has never happened again.

This past week we’ve had one child sick, the other child having to go to hospital with an injury, and me pretty much out of action for two days having a colonoscopy. DH has been running around like a maniac looking after everyone and still found time to take both kids shopping. So I got some flowers, chocolates, lovely hand cream and soap, well chosen books and a new keep cup. He’s a good ‘un.

#34 EmmDasher

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:27 AM

I got some sweet school craft, slippers and a nightie. I bought the nightie & slippers in the January sales and put them in DH’s cupboard. I’d rather have something I like and need than a surprise. Maybe when the kids get a little older, I’ll stop doing that.

I am sorry for OP and PP’s who have had disappointing mornings :/

#35 No Drama Please

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:30 AM

Some chocolates that I wanted so brought for myself because that’s how I roll.

A candle and card from DD

A card from DS with I love you Mum because you are nice and “blah blah blab” over page “because wanted it to look like i could think of more nice stuff” lol.

#36 BeAwesome

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:34 AM

My DDs each picked the same item for me at the school mothers day stall - so I have 2 succulents in mason jars - at least they have a grasp on my style.  DH bought me a replica Nymphadora Tonks wand which is very cool.

I would have been allowed a sleep in, but for the fact I woke up early and couldn't get back to sleep.  DH has gone out and done the grocery shopping by himself, while I stay in and have a coffee, and then we're all going out to watch Detective Pickachu.

#37 BBC

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:34 AM

Slept in
DD buttered my hot cross bun, so she has 'made' me breakfast.
Bought myself some happy socks with cats on them. Haven't received them yet.
Almost bought myself chocolates at the supermarket yesterday, but resisted.

#38 Keepswimming

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:37 AM

Nothing. DS did make some art yesterday but hasn't given it to me, as he's too busy playing games on the phone.

I did get a house full of gastro though so DP is still in bed crook. He never gets me anything, as he does the whole "You're not my mother" thing. So I'm sitting on the deck by myself with a coffee, in peace. Could be worse.

#39 Sancti-claws

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:38 AM

My older daughter made me a dressing gown as a combined birthday/Mother's Day present - its lovely, but she is old enough to organise herself (and sew)

My younger daughter had cash for the stall and got me a notebook for recipes with a tiny wooden spoon, a cookie cutter with a cute quip and an origami box with fabric flowers (obviously had money left over and HAD to spend it) and they both got me a pot of flowers that can be planted.

#40 Bird1

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:47 AM

From the Mother’s Day stall at school a Teddy Bear
From the Mother’s Day stall at kindy a Teddy Bear
And from my ex husband a lovely Peter Alexander dressing gown chosen by the boys

#41 SelceLisbeth

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:52 AM

Nothing. Younger DS doesnt even know its Mothers Day. Older DS doesnt seem to care much. I am not a material person who needs loads of recognition from her kids, but I think its time to sit the boys down and explain that an effort to even make my morning coffee would be nice. It doesnt even have to be on mothers day, just a few token efforts would be lovely.

#42 ~J_WTF~

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:52 AM

Sleep in.
Garmin watch.
A phone pillow for DD from the Mother’s Day stall.

And I woke up to a lovely message from DH telling me I rock!

I am sorry to those who have had disappointing days.

To the PP who questioned do people often ask what you got or did for special occasions, well yes they do. It can really bum you out when you got nothing (even by choice) and you have to say that and see the look on their face.

#43 Riotproof

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:53 AM

Dd made some flowers at playgroup, honey biscuits at preschool and a card with her name written on it. Ds has been in tears because he accidentally left his card at school because he needed something to finish it and forgot.
I made the kids sourdough pancakes.
Dh has just come home and organised a terrrible covert mission with the kids and a bunch of flowers.

Oh and my Kosta boda vase had a crack which has now given way. Might try op shopping for a new one.

I wouldn’t have minded a new scented candle. Anyone seen them on sale, preferably in the jars?

Edited by Riotproof, 12 May 2019 - 09:55 AM.

#44 JRA

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:54 AM

The best card with front cover

"Congratulations, I turned out perfectly"... Then with "-Ish" handwritten underneath

Edited by JRA, 12 May 2019 - 09:55 AM.

#45 kirstenfleur

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:57 AM

From DH: a $50 Dymocks voucher and a lovely card. (YAY!)

From DD: A coffee mug from the Mother's Day stall, saying "Mum Is Love". I now have three mugs with variations on that theme, I shall rotate them.

From DS: A magnetic shopping list with pen and bonus bookmark from the Mother's Day stall, and a card listing things about Mum. Apparently the number one reason he loves me is "Randomised Dinners."

He and DH also got me a new jewellery box, after he accidentally broke my old one. Feeling very happy!

#46 Lou-bags

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:59 AM

View PostLees75, on 12 May 2019 - 09:21 AM, said:

I haven’t got out of bed yet, but I just received this Facebook post from XH.....

Happy Mother’s Day Lisa...we did good. If the kids don’t spoil you today, I’ll confiscate their phones.

You guys are the best, truly. I actually think you do a better job of  respectful coparenting and friendship than most partnered people. It’s so lovely.

I got some perfume and a cardigan from ‘the kids’- DH didn’t have time to take them to the shop so got it on his own during work one day. I loved how it was a surprise for the kids too, as did they lol.

DH is away for the weekend so no sleep in for me. DS1 was adamant I should have breakfast in bed, he must have heard it’s a thing, so he went and got the pack of croissants from the kitchen, which I didn’t actually want, so the two boys had breakfast in my bed lol. Then he asked ‘when is kids day?’ and I said ‘everyday is kids day’ (just like my own mum used to say).

Oh, and DS2 (who is a bit over 2.5yo) did his first ever poo in the potty 😂

#47 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:00 AM

A Baby :babyboy: :babyflip: :wub: :love:

Well he's a week old now but its fun to say it.

Happy Mothers day EB

#48 Coffeegirl

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:07 AM

Um.  Nothing?   DH has had a rough month with his dad passing away and his mum causing a shed load of drama (to the point I have blocked her on everything possible) so I wasn’t really making a big deal about it as he’s crushed

I did make lunch and dinner reservations for us and we’ll take my mum along as well

Oh and I bought myself a fast/slow cooker last week, so I guess that’s my MD gift :)

ETA.  DD just got up and announced she’s gotten a distinction on one of her uni law assignments so that a great MD gift :)

Edited by Coffeegirl, 12 May 2019 - 10:20 AM.

#49 MadamDivine

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:14 AM

Miss 6 - from the school stall - flower soap (she would like to use them in her bath tonight) mints (can she have one?) night light (currently sitting next to her bed) and pineapple lumps (again can she have one?) I feel all her gifts have a theme of something she would like 😂😂
She did make me a cute poster telling me she loves it when I put her to bed.

Dd11- coffee mug and card

Dd12- coffee mug and card

(I love coffee and mugs so have heaps!! Plus needed a new work one)

DD14 - nothing. She isn’t even here. Don’t even get me started on her.

The others I can also hear cooking me breakfast. I’m kind of worried 😂😂

#50 amdirel

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:15 AM

I got a handmade card from each of the kids, and they did breakfast in bed for me this morning. Now I just need them to do some housework for me, and I'll be content.

I have come to the conclusion though that when my kids grow up and have kids, I'm always going to make that effort to secretly arrange something with the grandkids for mothers/fathers/birthday/Christmas, whether they're married or single. I just get a bit sick of my kids being upset that they don't have the money/ability to organise something, because they don't have an adult they can get secret help from. My mum is around, but she likes to do her own gift etc, I'm never sure why she doesn’t jump in to help my kids. Not that she has to of course, but I just think it would be nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.