What did you do for your 30th?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 EmmaFY

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:00 PM

It's my 30th birthday later this month. I've been undecided on what to do and worried I've left it too late as it kind of just snuck up on me.

I love entertaining and don't really get to do it a whole lot these days since having DS, and I would love to have a bit of a party at home. Pretty chill - some woodfire pizzas and some drinks. Bonfire. Music.

I've drafted a guest list of friends and family (nothing has been sent out yet), but DH thinks having 31 adults and 15 kids seems like a bit much for a 30th (especially since we've left planning to the last minute), and thinks we should just go to a local brewery and have beer and pizza there. No kids.

And that's why I'm undecided.

What did you do? Who did you invite to celebrate with you?

#2 lozoodle

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:04 PM

I think what you have described for a home party sounds fine for that number of people if you have space. Especially people with kids, they aren't all going to hang around super late so it sounds like it would be nice and chilled out!

I just went out to dinner with some friends for mine, but your idea sounds way better :)

#3 Crooked Frame

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:08 PM

That sounds like a lovely evening, but as a total introvert, I get your DH's reticence, and I get the preference of going to a brewery with managing cleanup etc and being able to call it a night at more defined time.

I turned 30 in March and DW, DS and I spent 5 days in Alice Springs. I planned the entire holiday, which I really enjoy doing.

#4 Mands09

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:08 PM

I spent the night in hospital with my DS3 who was in paed high care with a nasty virus/sepsis.

I would just invite everyone and it’s unlikely that all 100% of people will be able to turn up, especially if you have left it a bit late. So have your bonfire and pizzas etc and enjoy.

#5 cardamom

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:15 PM

That sounds lovely to me!

My 30th is next week and I'm having a low-key afternoon tea. Exact same number of guests, including the adult to kid ratio, haha!

If I had the space I would love the pizza/drinks kind of get together you've described but have compromised with an afternoon tea.

Happy birthday :)

#6 PrincessPeach

Posted 08 May 2019 - 12:22 PM

Very nice.

We had a low key afternoon tea at home. Turned out awesome, especially as 1/3 of the guests (& myself) were either pregnant or breastfeeding so I could easily cater for most needs.

#7 Chchgirl

Posted 08 May 2019 - 01:03 PM

I had my first daughter a week late so nothing!

I'm not big on birthday celebrations for me but my 40th went out with friends in a simliar placevon what you had mentioned and it was great, no pressure for me to run around and organise things.  I saw my family separately.

I didn't do anything much for my 50th last year as i live i interstate and didn't want to do anything, saving to go to Hamilton island next year for belated celebrations with my younger daughter.

I like the sound of the brewery.

#8 seayork2002

Posted 08 May 2019 - 01:04 PM

Wider family meal at a restaurant then a week or so later DH & I moved countries

#9 moineau

Posted 08 May 2019 - 01:11 PM

We went out for dinner at a venue with a big kids playground then kicked on at my house.

A friend of mine runs karaoke - So we set up the karaoke gear and had a karaoke party at our house afterward with all the kids.

#10 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 08 May 2019 - 01:20 PM

For me it was pre kids.

I just went out to dinner with 3 other couples for dinner.

Very basic and bland.

#11 eigne

Posted 08 May 2019 - 02:02 PM

That sounds pretty fun to me... except for the part where I’d have to keep my toddler away from the bonfire!!

I paid for about 40 people to have dinner at a restaurant with me. We booked the whole place and they were in charge of buying their own drinks. It was fab.

#12 Octopodes

Posted 08 May 2019 - 02:19 PM

I had my wisdom tooth pulled out for my 30th birthday. I don't recommend it.

Edited by Octopodes, 08 May 2019 - 02:19 PM.

#13 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 08 May 2019 - 02:40 PM

We didn't do much. My dad and sister showed up, and we ordered takeaway, I think.

And on my 21st, I worked an evening shift at La Porchetta. Lol.

OP, your idea sounds like fun. And, given the late notice, the turnout might be small enough to suit your husband. :)

#14 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:01 PM

I'm not a party girl, so just had a weekend away with the family. My 40th, DH was away, spent the day on an island with the kids. Would love to go to Egypt for my 50th.

#15 DebbieDoesSanta

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:02 PM

I had an afternoon tea. It was a surprise organised by my mum. As thoughtful as it was, it was just so awkward because I'm not great with surprises.

For my 40th I think I'll head overseas.

#16 BusbyWilkes

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:03 PM

Your idea for the party at home sounds great. Our kids were experienced around fires from a young age, but others may have never seen one. Supervision could be tricky if there are lots of young children there.

As for my 30th, I gave birth! I had tickets to see my favourite band (big group of us going) but my child had other ideas, arriving 2 weeks early. While it was sort of special and awesome, I've never had a proper birthday to myself since!

#17 dadwasathome

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:08 PM

Dinner with friends at a nice restaurant. Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise were sitting at the table next to us.

My 30th was quite a long time ago...... :)

#18 Dianalynch

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:39 PM

A weekend away with my partner - now no longer my partner, I hadn't yet met DH.

I think your idea is lovely, hope you have a great time!

#19 YumChaTheSecond

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:04 PM

I'll let you know in June :) I'm thinking a dinner at a restaurant with friends.

#20 MummaBlossom

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:24 PM

Hubby threw me a party at a 'fancy' pub. Private room with canapes and first drinks at the bar. About 35 guests including a handful and a half of kids (2 being ours!). Delicious cake and home by 10pm. Perfect night!

#21 Little boys rock

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:18 PM

I did a winery tour on the Mornington Peninsula with 20 friends & it was brilliant!

#22 DM. 2012

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:26 PM

Had a party, drinks a bottle of vodka, a bunch of Cowboy shots and some cocktails I created.  

Not very classy but I had a great night.

Edited by DM. 2012, 08 May 2019 - 09:27 PM.

#23 Team Awesome

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:32 PM

I’m an introvert so I did a weekend away to a hinterland cabin with my husband and kids had a bonus of no phone reception.

#24 CallMeFeral

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:41 PM

Don't listen to him. It's your 30th not his! It sounds lovely to me, and a very modest number of people.

For mine I hired a bar in the city and had a dance party like in my 'young' days with all my friends! Loved it.

#25 JoanJett

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:47 PM

Well I got married 4 days before, so there was a party and it wasn't all about me, and then I got to enjoy the isolation of our honeymoon for the actual day.  

Sounds like that's not an option for you ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.