whats the best parenting advice, trick or tip you've received or can give/or wish you knew back when

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#26 EmmDasher

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:22 PM

Pick your battles wisely.

#27 Claudia Jean

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:41 PM

View Postxx1stxx, on 06 May 2019 - 08:41 PM, said:

Use a capsule, not a reversible car seat.  Nothing worse than waking a sleeping baby trying to get them in and out of the car! You don't need to drag the pram out every time you go somewhere and you don't need to find something clean and soft to lay them on while visiting friends etc....plus it doubles as a handbag!

Yep!! Got a capsule for my second. Worked a treat when going out near her sleep times, I'd feed her and put her in capsule inside, she'd fall asleep then I could just put her in the car when it was time to leave.  

My tip would be "don't interfere with a happy baby/toddler".  If they're having fun by themselves - leave them to it! The minute you interrupt to feed them/ talk/  ask a question/ etc etc etc the magical peace will disappear.

#28 (feral)epg

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:47 PM

Listen to the parenting advice, try it and if it doesn't work then move on.  They're all different.

The vast vast majority of parents and babies somehow survive the first 5 years.  Some by the skin of the teeth but you generally get through.

#29 Octopodes

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:49 PM

He is never going to be an ordinary child. Embrace his quirky awesomeness.

#30 EsmeLennox

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:50 PM

Let them make mistakes and fail at things.

#31 Fresh Start

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:02 PM

Like PPs forget the baby books - I drove myself to despair with number 1 as I was following the books and it wasn’t working. I’ve always been able to read the instructions and get it done, it hit me hard when the baby didn’t work the same way!

Follow your gut, everyone fobbed me off as a first time mother but my baby had awful reflux causing her to cry most of the day.

#32 No Drama Please

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:03 PM

If they’re hungry, feed them, and if they’re tired, let them sleep.

Find a good GP, one that you can trust and that really listens and explains things really well.

Also remember no matter how bad things seem right now you will sleep again; all night, in your own bed!

#33 Ellie bean

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:13 PM

Don’t bother leaving the house for the first year, if I had my time again I wouldn’t go anywhere for that year, wasn’t worth it.

#34 ~J_WTF~

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:07 AM

View Postxx1stxx, on 06 May 2019 - 08:41 PM, said:

Use a capsule, not a reversible car seat.  Nothing worse than waking a sleeping baby trying to get them in and out of the car! You don't need to drag the pram out every time you go somewhere and you don't need to find something clean and soft to lay them on while visiting friends etc....plus it doubles as a handbag!

Opposite here. I hated the capsule, much preferred the reverse car seat. I never found any of those things you listed an issue. We would carry them, always had blankets to lay them on, the pram only came out for big outings...

Interesting what we all prefer!

#35 Chicken-little

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:05 AM

When getting a baby to sleep, try forcing yourself to take deep slow breaths. The baby matches your rhythm and falls asleep. Worked for me anyway.

#36 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:44 AM

You will need to push the doctors to convince them to take your childs tonsils out, but it is the right choice 110%.  DD was very sick for at least 9 months straight before and consistently well straight after.

#37 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:02 AM

Babies don’t need to have a bath every day, and some babies will only nap for 30 minutes no matter what you do. They will probably sleep longer in time.

#38 Crooked Frame

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:10 AM

Layer the cot- mattress protector, sheet, mattress protector, sheet.

If something isn't a problem for you, it isn't a problem.

Babies change constantly. Try not to worry too much about "bad habits", most of the time it's just a phase that will pass.

#39 Luci

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:46 AM

As long as the baby is warm, dry, fed and loved you are doing a great job.

#40 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:52 AM

View PostCrooked Frame, on 07 May 2019 - 09:10 AM, said:

Layer the cot- mattress protector, sheet, mattress protector, sheet.

If something isn't a problem for you, it isn't a problem.

Babies change constantly. Try not to worry too much about "bad habits", most of the time it's just a phase that will pass.

and kids beds! three layers. Especially when gastro strikes.

#41 Feral33

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:35 AM

Crying and vomiting for five continuous hours everyday isn't normal (for you or the baby).

#42 Crooked Frame

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:20 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 07 May 2019 - 10:52 AM, said:

and kids beds! three layers. Especially when gastro strikes.

Yes, it still comes in handy with our 4yo!

#43 JoanJett

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:35 PM

Looking after a baby is the easy part.  It's raising a person that's hard.

#44 Hellbent

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:40 PM

When purchasing first "big bed" make it a double or a queen straight off the bat.  Single beds are a struggle with a sick/unsettled kid and they'll be 12 before you know it.

#45 polythene

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:09 PM

Look after yourself too. Take time out to exericse, read a book, go to a movie when you can. The baby will be fine.

Ask for help - friends, family, doctor, baby health nurse. You're not alone.

Your baby has two parents (if you have a partner). Make parenting a team effort, it's new and scary for both of you.

Trust your instinct - you know your baby best.

Be consistent (this applies more when they get older!).

Take time to absorb all the cute things they do, they're not little for very long.

Babies/kids don't need lots of toys and stuff. They do need to be read to, however, as often as you can.

Cloth nappies are useful in so many ways.

if everyone's fed, warm, dry and loved, you're doing really well.

#46 123tree

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:10 PM

Nothing needs to be permanent. Just because you start something doesn’t mean you have to stick with it going forward. Once it doesn’t work anymore change back or just change.

If your baby won’t sleep book into sleep school. Sleep deprivation is actually torture.

#47 Kallie88

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:15 PM

Some babies just don't sleep. Stop beating yourself up about it.

And, when the midwives say he has a tongue tie let's wait and see, ignore them and get that damn thing snipped (obviously this relates to my personal experience, not advice I would give universally - that would be see an ibclc asap)
Edit typo

Edited by Kallie88, 07 May 2019 - 01:18 PM.

#48 RichardParker

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:45 PM

View PostNoodlez, on 06 May 2019 - 10:00 PM, said:

You may not be perfect and you may not get everything right but you are perfect for your baby.

Love this.  

I was going to say that your baby and child needs you to be You.
Not some fantasy idealised version of a mother. She needs you as your best and happiest self, with your strengths, interests, talents and personality. If that means you need to be working, or taking care of yourself in another way, then that’s the parent you need to be. The best example you can set for your child is to show them how to lead a good and fulfilling life.

#49 born.a.girl

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:27 PM

View Postcstar, on 06 May 2019 - 09:20 PM, said:

You do not need to have a pristine bedroom for them with perfectly painted walls and Murels and colour co ordinated blankets and sheets and what not, they will not know!!!

I have to confess my MCHN was awful and made life a misery for the first couple of months with her advice (improved dramatically once I ignored it), but when she did the first home visit, the house was chaos as I worked from home with stock almost literally everywhere.

When I apologised for the state of it, she just looked around and said 'the baby doesn't care'.

#50 born.a.girl

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:29 PM

View PostEmmDasher, on 06 May 2019 - 10:22 PM, said:

Pick your battles wisely.

Aint't that the truth?  Trouble is, in the midst of it, especially when it's your first, you've no idea whether it's a thunderstorm that will pass, or if you're setting a precedent for bad habits for life.

It's usually the first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.