whats the best parenting advice, trick or tip you've received or can give/or wish you knew back when

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 PandoBox

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:12 PM

So if you could go back in time to the first time mum you with a baby or a toddler what would be some words of wisdom that you would give yourself?

Whats the best parenting advice, tip or trick you've received or passed on?

#2 Lady Gray

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:17 PM

Park near the shopping trolley return thingo instead of near the entrance.  Probably not the best tip but the one I use most often.

#3 BrainFart

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:20 PM

Do not underestimate the usefulness of a chuck rag !!

#4 Mamabug

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:22 PM

Pegs and a fold up shopping bag in the nappy bag!

Noise. Get them used to sleeping when there is noise.

DO YOU!

#5 Meepy

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:22 PM

Be comfortable with what you can get done each day and don't be hard on yourself.

#6 ~J_WTF~

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:25 PM

Breastfeeding is not the be all and end all, if you don’t want to do it, that’s perfectly ok!

This is your parenting journey, you don’t have to do it the way other tell you, do it your way and be proud of that.

Make the professionals listen when you know something isn’t right, be forceful if you need to be. So many years wasted, which could have been used for early intervention!!

#7 **Tiger*Filly**

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:29 PM

If you have a child who keeps escaping from their stroller,  thread the stroller straps through their clothing before fastening them. DS was a dreadful absconded and this worked beautifully.

If the child clamps down  when breastfeeding and won't let go,  push your finger into their cheek between their back jaw. It will make them let go.

If you want to let your child be creative but not end up with a brown mess on their painting,  only give them shades of two primary colors to paint with. Eg red, pink, white, light blue, dark blue and purple, but no yellow. Or Bright yellow,  pale yellow,  white, light green,  dark green and shades of blue,  but no red.  

#8 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:30 PM

give them a whole mouthful of breast. i mistakenly thought they kind of sucked on the protruding nipple thing they don’t!

my other one is pretty much universally hated here, but it worked for me second time round and i wish i’d known it first time - start where you want to stop. if you dont want to be co sleeping when they’re 3 ...then don’t do it when  they’re 12, 18 months - set your routine.

anyway - good luck!

#9 JBH

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:32 PM

A lot of the things you think are really important, probably aren’t. Give things due consideration, but don’t obsess. Your time and sanity can be better spent.

#10 Mands09

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:32 PM

Don’t let medical professionals fob you off with ‘it sounds normal’ or ‘lets Wait and see’ or ‘youre a first time mum, you don’t know any better’ when you know something isn’t right. Just keep trying different doctors. I finally found a doctor looking at diagnosing my DS2 as coeliac after 3.5 years of taking him to doctors saying ‘this isn’t right’. Trust your gut!

#11 lozoodle

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:33 PM

I wish I knew that one day I'd look back and realise those moments were so temporary and fleeting and to not sweat the small stuff as much as I did. It all seems so irrelevant now.

#12 born.a.girl

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:38 PM

They won't be doing it at 20.

(That was from my sister, who had four before me.)

You can pretty much blame everything from two months to twenty on teething.

(Same sister.)

#13 xx1stxx

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:41 PM

Use a capsule, not a reversible car seat.  Nothing worse than waking a sleeping baby trying to get them in and out of the car! You don't need to drag the pram out every time you go somewhere and you don't need to find something clean and soft to lay them on while visiting friends etc....plus it doubles as a handbag!

#14 a letter to Elise.

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:54 PM

It really doesn’t matter if your baby catnaps. They will probably settle into a routine by themselves anyway, and you will send yourself mad trying to get them to do whatever the baby book say they should.

#15 nasty snaugh

Posted 06 May 2019 - 08:55 PM

Trust your gut

Ask questions, lots of questions - but at the end of it all, you know yourself and your baby better than anybody else does, even though you've never done this before

#16 Ozquoll

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:02 PM

Join a toy library, and ask friends/family not to buy too many toys. They don’t always use the toys for long, or at all, and joining the toy library means you can keep the clutter to a minimum.

#17 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:10 PM

Don’t listen to parenting advice

Also

If they’re hungry, feed them. Nothing worse than a hungry grumpy baby or child.

Oh and

Not really advice, but more a parenting method. Kick them outside. Rain hail or shine, dress them up, push them out the door, and they will play and have fun.

#18 Dianalynch

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:10 PM

This too shall pass. (Say to self during bad eg sleep deprived moments)

#19 Beanette

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:13 PM

Nothing bad will happen if you leave the baby to cry for five minutes while you take a shower or have a cup of coffee. Don't forget to take time to care for yourself while you're caring for them.

View PostOzquoll, on 06 May 2019 - 09:02 PM, said:

Join a toy library, and ask friends/family not to buy too many toys. They don’t always use the toys for long, or at all, and joining the toy library means you can keep the clutter to a minimum.

Absolutely!

#20 MooGuru

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:14 PM

View Postnasty snaugh, on 06 May 2019 - 08:55 PM, said:

Trust your gut

Ask questions, lots of questions - but at the end of it all, you know yourself and your baby better than anybody else does, even though you've never done this before

This.  Trust your instinct and don't let others get inside your head with their "typical first time mum" type comments.

#21 little lion

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:17 PM

Have a go bag packed. Contents depends on the child’s age. My kids are older now so we just have hats, bug spray, water bottle and maybe a jumper in winter. That means you can head out the door as soon as the weather is good, the child is well rested, you get an unexpected invitation etc. Repack the bag at night with fresh snacks and clothes.

#22 Mmmcheese

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:19 PM

The baby hasn't read the baby book.

#23 cstar

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:20 PM

You do not need to have a pristine bedroom for them with perfectly painted walls and Murels and colour co ordinated blankets and sheets and what not, they will not know!!!

#24 Ozquoll

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:23 PM

View PostMmmcheese, on 06 May 2019 - 09:19 PM, said:

The baby hasn't read the baby book.
This, and also “Just because [insert parenting technique] worked for every other baby you know, doesn’t mean it will work for your baby”.

#25 Noodlez

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:00 PM

You may not be perfect and you may not get everything right but you are perfect for your baby.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.