Thoughts on Sloane

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 bailey90

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:38 AM

Hi guys

We are expecting our third daughter in a few weeks and would love your input on the name Sloane. She will be named Sloane Elizabeth after my mum. What do you guys think? Our current daughters are Juno & Portia.

Thanks in advance

#2 seayork2002

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:42 AM

Ferris Bueller's Sloane?

#3 steppy

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:42 AM

I like the name Sloane though the first time I heard it I didn't much like the character (Sloane on Entourage - such a boring character).  The name is pretty cool though.

Was the girl in Ferris Beuller named Sloane? That must be the first time I heard it. Goes to show the importance of female characters in that era.

Edited by steppy, 06 May 2019 - 11:46 AM.

#4 Ozquoll

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:46 AM

..Ranger!!

#5 steppy

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:48 AM

Sloane Ranger is actually pretty cool though. So is Sloane Star or Sloane Soldier.

#6 Bam1

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:49 AM

I think the name is lovely and suits the other names well.

Bonus points for a Ferris Bueller connection - favourite teen movie eva.  I thought Sloane Ranger not a bad connection either.

#7 amdirel

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:58 AM

No. Don't like it at all.

#8 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 06 May 2019 - 11:58 AM

the name has an association for me - not sure if it was generally known or it was more of an in house thing - at school and uni we would call girls “Sloanes” if they had a “private school boarder “ look - liberty print collars, RM’s, scrunchies in the hair - that type of thing. i don’t think the characterisation has survived - so i don’t think it would be an issue now.

#9 Beancat

Posted 06 May 2019 - 12:10 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 06 May 2019 - 11:58 AM, said:

the name has an association for me - not sure if it was generally known or it was more of an in house thing - at school and uni we would call girls “Sloanes” if they had a “private school boarder “ look - liberty print collars, RM’s, scrunchies in the hair - that type of thing. i don’t think the characterisation has survived - so i don’t think it would be an issue now.

Oh yes the term Sloanie is an English term for middle to upper class women.  Princess Diana was often referred to as a Sloanie.  Think Jemima Goldsmith, Trinny and Sussanah etc

It comes from Sloane Rangers and relates to those most associated with Sloane square in Chelsea

#10 No Drama Please

Posted 06 May 2019 - 12:14 PM

I do think posh girls admittedly, or those trying to inspire to poshness.

#11 Magnolia2

Posted 06 May 2019 - 12:23 PM

View PostBeancat, on 06 May 2019 - 12:10 PM, said:

Oh yes the term Sloanie is an English term for middle to upper class women.  Princess Diana was often referred to as a Sloanie.  Think Jemima Goldsmith, Trinny and Sussanah etc

It comes from Sloane Rangers and relates to those most associated with Sloane square in Chelsea

Yes - it’s still used as a term of derision in the UK, even now.  Not sure whether the same applies in Australia - I guess you have to work out whether the risk is worth taking on this!

(I do think it’s used without the connotations as a girls’ name in the US)

#12 seayork2002

Posted 06 May 2019 - 12:49 PM

View PostMagnolia2, on 06 May 2019 - 12:23 PM, said:

Yes - it’s still used as a term of derision in the UK, even now.  Not sure whether the same applies in Australia - I guess you have to work out whether the risk is worth taking on this!

(I do think it’s used without the connotations as a girls’ name in the US)

Its funny I don't remember hearing it in the UK at all but I think I have always thought it was posh due to Sloane Square rather than it being posh (to me that is)

I know not all posh places give an automatic posh connection to the their street name but Sloane Square to me will always be posh

#13 Sentient Puddle

Posted 06 May 2019 - 12:56 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 06 May 2019 - 11:58 AM, said:

That is exactly what I thought of when I read the title - probably couldn't use it for that reason - those "Sloanes" at my school were not very nice!

#14 aquarium2

Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:29 PM

Beautiful name and it was on my favorites list, however too many family members reacted negatively pre-birth, so I was put off.  I wish I hadn't told them and just used it!

The other names that I loved were, Harriet, Freya and Odessa.

#15 casime

Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:48 PM

I find it a very harsh name.  It's not one that I would use.

#16 Kreme

Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:50 PM

I was at high school and Uni in the 80s and we called the stuck up boarding school girls Sloanes.

I don’t think it sounds the best in an Australian accent  - a bit nasally.

#17 Mollycoddle

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:00 PM

Absolutely not.  The term Sloane Ranger conjures up very unfavourable connotations in my head.

https://en.wikipedia...i/Sloane_Ranger

#18 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:02 PM

Another with the Posh b**chy girl Sloane Rangers association.

#19 EmmDasher

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:07 PM

I really don’t like it. I don’t think it’s a very nice sounding word and it doesn’t have great associations for me. I’d have name envy that my sisters got the better options.

#20 Weavile

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:14 PM

First time I have heard the name, so I don't have any of the negative connotations others are referring to, but I don't like it, it sounds rather rough. To me it sounds more like a boys name, and I don't think it's a good match with your other names.

#21 Drat

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:35 PM

Sloane is very masculine to me. If I saw Sloane, Portia and Juno i'd assume Sloane was a boy. I can't see the appeal for a girl..

#22 vanilla_bear

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:40 PM

I like it. I only have associations from Ferris Beuller's Day Off. I think it fits well with your others - still recognisable but not heard often. I hope you use it!

#23 steppy

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:42 PM

I've only ever seen Sloane as a girl's name. I didn't know about the Sloane Rangers at all - never even heard of it. Must be an English thing, and choosing it as a name must be an aspirational USA thing.

#24 Fourteenyears

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:07 PM

British chick lit is riddled with the term, which is used as shorthand for a certain social group with specific accents, style of dressing and behaviour.  It isn’t necessarily derogatory but it isn’t always entirely nice either.  

Moving to London with a name like Sloane would be a little bit like moving to Bondi with a name like Hipster (aside from the entirely relevant fact that Sloane is considered a name in some countries and Hipster isn’t.  At least not yet).

#25 AliasMater

Posted 06 May 2019 - 03:09 PM

I think Ferris Bueller. Love the movie, hate the name.

Simone?

Edited by AliasMater, 06 May 2019 - 03:16 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.